Major Announcement

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Major Announcement

Post by yogi »

I listed a dozen positive things Joe Biden and his agenda accomplished during his first two years in office. Several of those items were the result of his bipartisan efforts to get the other guys on board with his agenda.

Your arguments look suspicious. Everything you mention is right out of the Qanon conspiracy theory cult playbook. Much of it is from the Trumpist cult of election deniers who are currently pouring millions of dollars into campaigns designed explicitly to thwart the Biden agenda. That is in fact the only goal McCarthy is promising in his efforts to take over the House of Representatives leadership. In other words there is nothing constructive in the Republican agenda and your arguments seem to support that point of view.

I can't fault you at all for complaining about inflation and the higher cost of living. You have told me about your dire finances and I do have a lot of sympathy for you. An honest evaluation, however, would certainly show that your difficulties started well before Biden became president. Now you are blaming somebody for things they had nothing to do with. You're not alone. 80% of the Republican party fell for the same lies.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The demonrats are good at coming up with 7,000 page bills and only giving 48 hours to read them before the vote.
You remember the quote! "Gotta Pass It to see what's in it!" Nothing good was in it that's for sure!

But you can have your side of the fence, and I'll stay on my side! I like my side much better!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Good fences make good neighbors
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Amen to that! Just in case you didn't see it on Farcebook, I was taken to the hospital by ambulance where they poked, prodded, inspected, and injected, and didn'l leave any part untouched. Then I was neglected. 11 hours before I could finally get a sliver of ice. I had not eaten since around 7:30 the night before, so was famished, dehydrated, and felt like a pincushion on steroids. Where there wasn't a hole, they made 5 more to make up for it. About 2 hours later they decided they got enough stuff done to build up a healthy bill and decided I should either go to a room or go home. I chose to go home so I could EAT!
Since this is the first month of the year, it means I have to cover all my annual deductibles, and since I wasn't admitted, I'm stuck with paying 20% of whatever bill they racked up on me. OUCH!
I'm still not doing well, but much better than when I went in. Now comes all the doctors follow up appointments!
yogi

Post by yogi »

The good news is that you are doing better after experiencing all that trauma. I know exactly what you went through because I had to do it all with my wife a few months ago. They didn't admit her either and she had to lay on a gurney in a crowded hall with other patients who were not admitted. About two o'clock in the morning she had enough of those people and signed herself out. Then I had to find my way to that ER in the middle of the night. In wife's case we went to a proper ER the next day and she was poked, proded, inspected, and injected for three days before they let her loose. All I can say is they found out what is not wrong, which I suppose is some progress. But, like you, it took a month of follow up visits to various doctors to finally be done with it all. I think I told you somewhere else in these forums that she quit drinking coffee and that seems to be the cure. $30,000 worth of hospital and doctor visits could not figure that out. Amazing, eh?
Last edited by yogi on 08 Jan 2023, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My late wife Ruth was a frequent flyer at the hospital. Taken by ambulance about every three weeks.

But we know one thing about doctors, and lawyers as far as that goes, they only Practice their trade, hi hi

You said quite, but I assume you meant quit, your frau stopped drinking coffee. That was a very wise move!
You've probably heard me call coffee a speed drug a few times.
Although the caffeine in coffee doesn't sound like much when they compare it to things like soda.
What they are missing from that observation is coffee is a caffeine/tannin blend which makes it like caffeine on steroids, and why coffee is so highly addicting and soda isn't.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've read a lot about coffee and its benefits and disadvantages. The only conclusion to be made is that there is no consensus among experts. The "speed" effect that you often refer is real, but not for everyone. In fact it's probably a < 10% occurrence. The dependency on coffee, however, is quite a different thing. The only analogy I can make for you is with cigarettes. There can be both a physical addiction and a psychological dependency each serving different needs. I know for a fact that I was way more sensitive to caffeine as a youth than I am in old age. Drinking a bottle of Pepsi would keep me wired for 48 hours and induce nightmares. I'm not sure if tannin is present in Pepsi, but the phenomena I experienced has been noted in a few of my friends too. My coffee addicted friends claimed a wide range of effects all the way from nothing to a need to experience the buzz. As an adult I've never experienced a buzz from coffee, but it has kept me awake a few nights. All in all I think the negative hype about coffee is overstated.

In my wife's case she has been drinking coffee all her adult life. Now that she is a septuagenarian her drinking habits have not changed. Until the vertigo set in she had never thought the coffee she drinks was a problem. She stopped just as an experiment because she read some of those negative reviews I mentioned. However, the cure was not just to quit coffee but also included switching to ginger tea. The ginger tea promoters, of course, discouraged coffee drinking. As an aside I can tell you she has not experienced vertigo after the switch, except for one occasion since she quit the caffeine/tannin gig. A slight episode of dizziness ensued after she indulged in a high intake of ... chocolate. I don't know if there is tannin in hot chocolate, but the caffeine element sure dud have it's effects.

And, yes, I made a typo that has since been corrected. I usually do a better job of editing my posts, but I've been consumed by technical problems lately and missed that one. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

So is all the negative hype about cigarettes, but here we are!

I became addicted to chocolate for a little over a year, and put on a ton of weight because of it. It was like being drunk, hi hi.

With my arthritis in my fingers, plus them being cold and stiff all the time, and no feeling at others, I make tons of typo's now that I have to go back and correct. Some or so bad, even spell check says, I have nothing for you man, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can make Windows type what I speak. That's part of their Ease of Access software designed for people with disabilities. When I do that on my clever phone it works quite well. Sometimes it gets the words wrong because it sounds the same as the correct word. I would think their syntax checker would catch that, but it doesn't. I can also get Windows to read aloud the text on a page. It's not very hard to set up apparently but it does require having a microphone connected. I refuse to do that on this desktop. Then again, a few typos here and there makes reading my rants a bit more interesting, don't you think? LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I used Dragon voice to text, and computer control back when they were in their infancy.
Worked pretty good too.
The newer stuff they have out now works much better of course, but none of it is perfect.

Even with the newer ones I tried in recent years, I could type faster than they could do the voice to text conversion.
I could say a sentence, then had to stop and wait to see if it heard it right, edit the mistakes, then move on.
So for me, it was just faster to type. Before my arthritis got so bad, I could type around 120 wpm on a good roll, but often only averaged between 80 and 100 wpm.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have arthritic fingers too but my typing speed has not changed much. I never was a speed typist. However, the reach of my fingers sometimes is off and causes typos. Many of them are flagged by the software here, but some are not. You get to see those. My wife of many years also has arthritis in her hands worse than I do. She was able to get some CBD cream that works quite well especially in this winter weather. I have not had to use it yet, and besides, I don't want icky sticky goo all over my keyboard.

Voice recognition certainly has improved over the years and in spite of the drawbacks it might be of some benefit to you when you do a lot of typing. So it's not as fast as you used to be, but it's a lot easier on your fingers. You might like it if you tried it. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My doc that quit the practice, would shine this blue light on my joints in a box I slipped my hands into for around 10 minutes.
Whatever it was, it worked great, but was not an authorized device from what I understand, so it went when the doc did.

Trouble is, my voice is only good for about 1 to 2 minutes with this heavy phlegm in my lungs and throat all the time.
Heck, even the Echo boxes cannot understand me at times, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

People learn to adapt to whatever disability they might have. You are doing quite well from what I can see here.

It sounds like your doctor was radiating you with ultra violet radiation. There is a very vague memory in my brain of such a machine owned by the very first family doctor I can remember back when my age was in the single digits. I recall my parents discussing it being outlawed and consequently they could not get whatever benefit was to be derived from that radiation. Unfortunately that's all I recall. My dad had some very bad arthritis in his lower back and legs, but I don't know if that s what they were lamenting. Google seems to think it's used for skin disease treatments.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do know Ozone Lamps are used on some folks hands, but not usually for arthritis, mainly to help clear up infections.
UV lamps are used to help warm up your hands, but that can cause blisters if in there too long.
What my doc used on me was not hot, not even warm really. I just know the light was blue, light blue in fact.
About like the same color blue used to cure some plastic adhesives these days.
Another doctor my wife's niece goes to, her doctor has her hold onto two balls, about the size of tennis balls, that do nothing but vibrate at a fairly high speed. She doesn't think it does much to help with her hands though, maybe for a day is all. She said the vibrator pillow for her back lasts longer after she uses it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Too much UV light from exposure to the sun can cause skin problems. Thus the market for sun screen flourishes. Glasses have UV filters to protect the eyes. I'm just guessing that's what doctors used in the past, and apparently nobody knows what healing effects it might have because nobody investigated it. My uncle had rheumatoid arthritis and he would spray his leg joints with ... WD-40. It relieved the pain almost instantly, but the doctor told him to stop because it was a petroleum distillate that can be toxic. So whatever it is about UV light and WD-40 being beneficial shall remain a secret because there are also negative side effects.

I'm not surprised that vibrations would be a treatment for arthritis. Most of the time when it bothers me all I have to do is exercise the joints involved. That often makes the pain go away for quite a while. So, whatever walking does for the joints, so does vibrations. Probably.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Since I'm on oxygen, many of the normal things we use on our personages every day I cannot use at all.
Especially something simple like putting Vaseline on my sore chapped and dry nose.
O2 and Oil do not mix, but they do react harshly, often with a lot of heat involved.

Look how much petroleum is in many of the medications they prescribe for us as rub-on creams and salves.

My uncle Andy had a big old Harley, with emphasis on the word OLD, hi hi. He had it since he was like 30 or younger.
When his arthritis got to bothering him too much, he would go out and pull the Harley out of the garage and sit on it with it running for a bit, then take off down the street and make a few laps around the block. Said it helped him out considerably when he did that. But it also hurt big time to get started, which is why he sat so long before taking off.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know if you tried it yet but there is a good substitute for Vasoline. It's called aloe and can be readily purchased for a reasonable price. I use something called Aloederma which is organic and nearly pure aloe juice. I have no idea how it reacts with O2 dispensers, but I can say it does wonders for dry irritated skin. I also have a "healing" version which is aloe mixed with some other herbs but it doesn't seem to do much more than the pure stuff. I can get you more information if you need it, but I have a feeling you already tried everything possible.

Petroleum jelly is not the same as a petroleum distillate, and not toxic. The use of petroleum, paraffin, and even carnauba wax adds body to the goo it is mixed with. I think that's about all it's good for in consumer products. Petroleum jelly isn't exactly medicine but it also is not a harmful lubricant for us humans.

One of my lifelong fantasies is to own a Harley and join the HOG club. LOL Now I have another reason to fantasize. I can see how a machine like a Harley would be great for vibrating the entire torso, and if that helps with arthritis the pain of getting it started is well worth it. However, I understand that when you get your biker license they also make you pick it up from a fallen over position. I dunno if I could still do that. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The doc gave me a tube of Surgilube, but said I could buy things like Conn-Ease or Aquegel when it runs out.

My favorite motorcycle that I've owned was a Suzuki 380-J. And I was glad I bought that one instead of the 550-J for two reasons. The 550-J had problems for nearly everyone who bought one, and the 380-J just ran forever with no problems.
But the other reason is for what you mentioned. You have to be able to pick the thing back up again from its side. The motor was lower down on the 380-J so the center of gravity was lower. Easy to pick up compared to the 550-J.
I had a suicide side shift Harley, it was old, and honestly way to heavy of a bike for me to start with.
Also had a few Honda's for short time periods. I liked the 308 Super Hawk, and the Black Hawk.
Never got into dirt bikes though. My Suzuki was a poor man's full-dresser. The saddle bags were old army ammo boxes, one held my antenna for the CB radio, and the other the antenna for my 2-meter Ham rig. I also had the chrome suitcase box behind the seat with a backrest for the back passenger. The backrest folded down if you didn't need it and had a lumbar support on the front of it when in the down position for the driver.
The faring was an aftermarket discount job designed to fit many different motorcycles, and the windshield was separate from the faring, but did come together nice with the rubber joiner.
It was red when I bought it new. But sitting out in the sun in faded pretty bad, so we painted it candy apple blue, with like 4 coats of clear over that, and also added an extra blinker tail light on the back of each of the ammo boxes, along with a teardrop on each side, so they no longer looked like ammo boxes at all, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've never owned a motorcycle but have been a passenger on a few. I've been up close and even touched Harleys, but unfortunately never had the opportunity to ride. There are a few fancy cycles around town here which must cost more than a car. Typically they are three wheeled and owned by an older couple. It's really odd to see a lady who must be in her sixties all decked out in leathers. Then there is the ordinary crowd who wear sandals and tee shirts while biking. Oh, and sunglasses too. It seems that there are two schools of thought among the folks around here. You either get all dressed up in your best leather or you say to hell with common sense and the rules. Apparently they don't have helmet laws like they do in Illinois. I swear I've seen a few bikers without them.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I just wore normal clothes when I rode my motorcycle EXCEPT when we went on a road rally, then we all had vests for our clubs, etc. When we rode for the Shriners Hospital, we all had a special vest for that run also.

The price for anything motorized has skyrocketed like crazy, along with a lot of other things.