Facebook Biometric Information Privacy Litigation

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Facebook Biometric Information Privacy Litigation

Post by yogi »

The idea of solar panels heating up the atmosphere is something to think about. I don't know if we can build and install enough of them to make a difference, however. When the snow falls reflection of sunlight is likely more efficient than that which solar panels can achieve, yet I've not read anything about snow heating the troposphere. For all I know the current climate change events are cause by all them windmills and solar panels we are now using. At least those things are not polluting the atmosphere as does burning of fossil fuels.

I think your entire family is very creative and inventive. I'd never think of making my own power generator from basketballs. LOL There has to be limits to the amount of current such a device can provide. Once that limit is reached any additional load would bog down the entire system. Makes sense to me.

It seems as if over 40% of the power generated in the state of Iowa is from wind turbines. I was a bit startled to read that statistic because I've seen more wind farms in Illinois than I have in Iowa. Then, too, I've only traveled the eastern part of Iowa near the Mississippi. There must be a lot of wind out there in the west.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although windmills sound great, to date not a single one has been profitable.
Although many are falsely showing a profit because they are subsidized.

I ran my own home on a China Diesel dynamo for a full year.
Not the cost of the unit itself, but fuel and maintenance, plus a little bit for depreciation to be able to replace it.
I game out nearly equal to what my electric bill would have cost. It was only like 3 bucks one way or the other, I forget which way now.
Now if I could have legally sold my excess generated electric to a neighbor, my cost would have been half of what my electric bill would be. If I could send power to 4 neighbors, I would have been making a whopping profit.
But unfortunately it was illegal to sell electric, so I could not do that.
I did have to connect back to the electric company, or they would have condemned my house for not having that utility from the source they control. But you have to remember, the electric company is who cut me off, and I was in litigation with them for about a year over it too. I won by the way, but didn't get as much as I should have gotten.

TVA controls most of the hydro-electric dams here, and most of them are shut down.
They say the cost of FREE Water over the Dam is too expensive to keep the electric turbines spinning.
A hydro-electric turbine is about 1/5th the cost of a Windmill.
And all the Dams are bought and paid for, by our tax dollars.
Alcoa Aluminum has two hydro-electric turbines they own, and they are used to power their entire complex, including the smelters, and metal forming machinery. They wouldn't keep doing that if it were not cost effective for them.
We also have a nuclear power plant. It too was built in a large part with our tax dollars, and from investors.
They were supposed to sell electric to other states for a profit to keep our costs way down.
Sounded good on paper, but most of the profits go to the investors, not for keeping our costs down.

On a side note: Those humongous hydro-electric turbines for which the dams were built, were not very efficient in how much wattage they put out. Some turbines were replaced with high-output turbines, similar to the output Windmills.
These newer turbines do not need the 100 foot or more drop of the water into them. Some work on as low as a 15 foot water drop, not at the dams, but on branched water from rivers. Done about the same way the old grist mills were run.
There is one of these not far from us, behind the farmers co-op. Not much to look at really. Up-river about 1/4 mile is an intake pipe, and it runs partially underground and partially above ground to reach the turbine, which only looks like a tall white water tank. The water comes out the bottom into a concrete trough that leads back to the river. It powers the co-op and all the associated buildings belonging to the co-op. It was shut-down for one day back around 2006 to replace a bad lower bearing, and clean the turbines vanes. If it has been shut down for repairs since then, we never heard about it. I think we did hear around 2018 they were installing a second one, but if they did, we don't see it from the road that passes by the co-op.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think there are a lot of inventive people out there in the wild. I doubt that many of them are as knowledgeable or successful as you have been, but that doesn't stop them from coming up with wild-eyed ideas and trying to implement them. Because those people can hurt themselves and others, a lot of crazy laws were enacted to protect them. Personally I think they should all be allowed to kill themselves if they are that dumb. Of course there are other reasons for those laws which have nothing to do with protecting the dumbbells among us. Corporations run this country and they can only exist if they can maximize their profits. In some ways that is good, especially when it comes to utilities. I get to have reliable power because of their monopoly. It's news to me that wind turbines are total losses. I know they were subsidized at one time in order to get the industry started. Unfortunately I've not been following the progress other than noting large entities, such as the state of Iowa, are enjoying the benefits of wind energy.

I don't see many hydro-electric installations around here, or back in Chicago. LOL I suppose a dam can be pretty boring after the first 15 seconds of viewing. I recall visiting Niagra Falls and was able to get up close to it from street level. It was like water over the dam. Boring after 15 seconds. The interesting part of the falls is that it was built by Nature. THAT was truly amazing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We have more Dams in our area than Carter's has pills, hi hi.
And most of them are associated with hydro-electric.
Back in MO we had a few dams too, but only a few were hydro-electric, the rest were all for flood control in the beginning.
But then the poly-Tick-ians decided to let a few that were normally maintained at 1/3 pool for flood reasons to fill up to attract more tourism. And of course raise the value of the property around the lakes a hundredfold, hi hi.

I know I mentioned the hydraulic water rams we had on our farm a few times. You heard them things clacking all day and night until your sub-conscious tuned them out. They were used to fill our overhead water tanks used to water the flowers in the greenhouses many eons ago. We also had a large pond that collected the rainwater from the greenhouse rooftops and used it for water as well. Later on we switched to city water for the greenhouses, filled in the pond, but kept the water tower for watering in the fields and back greenhouses. Little by little as the clackers quit working, the pipes rusted through, or the tower began leaking did we finally quit using it.

It cost nothing to run those clackers, and I often wondered if we could put a small water powered generator on the outflow pipe of that thing. I'm sure it wouldn't do much or provide any usable electric, hi hi.
But I have heard the lights on some public water towers do use a turbine in the outflow pipe to keep the lights lit. Whether this is so or not, I've never found any supporting evidence of same.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My wife's dad and I used to go fishing. He loved the sport and couldn't get enough of it. His wife had relatives out in Iowa and quite often a stop by the Mississippi would be the prelude to visiting folks to the west. I recall one dam near Guttenberg with a barge out in the middle of the river and close to the dam. That was THE place to fish for sauger and walleye. The dam, as I recall it was not very tall; maybe ten feet or less. However, it created turbulence that attracted fish for some reason unknown to mere mortals like me. The barge was close by and the pickin's were easy. Well, usually it was easy, but there were those days when only a few fish were landed. Down river from Guttenberg is Dubuque. I believe slightly north of there are some locks which seemed to be a lot more interesting to watch than the water flowing over the dam. I don't think either of those two had any hydroelctric capability. We used to stop at Galena where there are more tourist attractions and some great places to eat. Now that I think about it, Galena might be where I reviewed those locks. You know, Galena ore and all.

While we have a lot of rivers and opportunities to dam them up, I have a feeling that's not the dominant way we will be getting our energy in the future.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

About the only thing I ever fished for was Catfish. it's the only fish I like to eat too.
From about 1974 through 1986, I used to go fishing every Tuesday night with my cousin.
I usually gave him whatever fish we caught. Sometimes we would fish for bass or whatever and toss most of them back if he didn't want them. After Ruth got sick I spent all of my time taking care of her, and my cousin had moved away about the same time.
I tried a little fishing after I first moved down here, but then taking care of Debi's mom sorta knocked that out too.
Now, and I don't know why, I'm so busy every day, I never get all the work I planned on doing done.

We had a competing greenhouse who heated and cooled his greenhouse because it was located at the mouth of a cave.
A long hose that ran from a blower to the very back of the cave, brought the 68 degree air into his greenhouses.
He got by doing that for over 20 years before the ecology guru's said he was harming the environment and made him stop.

My thoughts are we will see more hydrogen fueled electric plants. Or possibly some totally new technology we don't even know about yet. Just looking at what they are achieving with LED lighting now is amazing.
Right now all of our homes are wired for 110 volts. But I see quite a few ceiling fixtures being wired for 24 or 48 volts, so they can use LED lighting without the voltage reducing transformers. Therefore a single 300 watt solar panel could power all the lighting in a house for free with plenty left over for other things.
So I do see solar power being dominant and useful in more ways than converting solar power to 110 volts to run our normal type of light bulbs, or even LEDs with 110 volt transformers in them.
Those switching power supplies go bad long before an LED lamp burns out, so are a waste of material and resources.

Although we have better batteries for storing electric. Two automotive batteries have enough amp hours in them to power straight LED lighting in an entire home for a week or possibly even a month. If you are not first trying to convert the voltage up to 110 volts, but use it at 24 volts instead. Two batteries in series produces 24 volts.
It's how I lit my yard lamps back home for nearly 7 years. No solar, just a small trickle charger on the batteries.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I was paranoid about the water table at my old house. It was just a foot under my basement floor and kept the sump pump busy even during dry summer spells. To appease my paranoia I had a backup pump installed in the same pit. The backup was run off the same A/C as the main pump but had a battery for when the power was out. The battery was huge and expensive; I don't recall exactly but seems like it was over $200 from the pump installers. Eventually I had to replace it and did so with a marine battery, the biggest one I could find costing slightly under $200. LOL Well, I don't recall all the specs anymore but the battery was able to keep the pump running continuously for 17 hours. The backup pump was slightly smaller than the main pump but still must have been approaching 1/4 hp. In any case I was amazed that a battery could last that long. To my great relief I never had to find out. Only once did we lose power for more than a few hours and I had a small generator in the garage running the backup pump. Actually, it ran both pumps. Battery technology certainly has improved.

The story about siphoning cool air from a cave is interesting. I'm not sure how that would be ecologically harmful while heat pumps are OK.

My father-in-law would inevitably haul in a catfish once in a while as he was hunting for pan fish. He would cut the line and release them immediately, which I thought was kind of cruel to not remove the hook first. He claimed they were bottom feeders and not healthy to eat. I guess that could be true depending on what is on the bottom of the catfish's hunting grounds. But, if it would be harmful to humans, would it not also be harmful to catfish? Anyway, there were very few, if any, restaurants back home that had catfish on the menu. Not until I moved down here did I see it readily available. I had what I could only describe as catfish nuggets in a local sports bar. They were not particularly flavorful but I could see myself ordering them again some time. Not sure why it's popular here when lox and bagels are so hard to find. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Old houses I worked in, a few had sump pumps, but none had a battery backup. They also looked like they never kicked on once in all the years the house was there. I would test them and they worked so that was that.

Blowing air into the back of the cave and the outflow into the greenhouse was drying out the inside of the cave, and causing temperature shifts in there as well, making it colder than normal in the winter, and hotter than normal in the summer. But never had a change of enough to mess with the critters and bats that normally lived in the cave.
But you know how the do-gooders are. Gotta find something wrong with anything they can to feel important.

In MO, many VFW posts had Catfish Friday's. Most are farm raised, some locally caught years ago, not so much these days due to the pollutants in our water now.
Doesn't much matter what they eat though, the stomach dissolves it and the intestines pull out the nutrients they need, the rest is waste.

Or another way of looking at it. You dump fertilizer on your garden, and still eat the fruits and vegetables you produce.
The roots act like the intestines and pull the nutrients from the soil, the rest is waste.

I like catfish because it doesn't taste fishy, hi hi.

My late wife always had Lox and Bagels, understandable since she was Jewish, hi hi.
I couldn't stand the taste of it myself.
yogi

Post by yogi »

OK, I get the idea about the cave. Some natural environments should be left alone because we are not always aware of the repercussions. If that rule was followed religiously, then we would have no place to live. Well, maybe in caves, but I don't think there are enough of them for 8 billion people. The ecosystem of this planet can take some abuse and is self-healing in many cases. However, it's becoming increasingly obvious that we are not making things better with our modern lifestyles. Some people feel a strong need to draw a line, and I suppose that's the justification for environmentalists to speak up.

My daughter married a guy from Wisconsin. Fridays were fish fry nights just about anywhere you go up there. Most of it is perch but to me it all tasted pretty much the same. Fried fish is fried fish. I think a lot of the flavor is lost in the deep fryer which is fine for fish-N-chips, but serious seafood eaters tend to stay away from that stuff. There are a few fish that are like the catfish and do not have a strong flavor unique to them. While I liked fishing with my father-in-law eating the catch was not may favorite part. They didn't taste fishy as much as they tasted like lake water. You know, that green slimy stuff they call fresh water. ugh.

Most of the lox I've had on a bagel don't have much of a taste unless they have been smoked. It's all the accompaniments that make eating it a feast. Salmon is readily available in all the groceries around here and I like to buy a whole fillet from time to time when they look good. The better selections will have a fatty layer under the skin and that has a taste that is identifiable. Wife doesn't like fish with skin still on it so that I generally cut the fat and skin away before preparing it. There's a big difference between the farmed fish and the wild fish as far as taste goes. Wild salmon is very gamey and also very expensive so I don't buy it very often.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I will eat almost any kind of White Fish, which usually means Cod or something similar to it.
When it is fried, not baked.
My late wife loved Salmon, so we usually bought it buy the case of filet's and kept them in the freezer for her.
Since I was in the food service business, I still had some contacts where I could get things in case lots at restaurant prices.
Most because I still bought under the restaurant name and they had all that paperwork still on file.
I could buy an entire Eye of Round roast, cheaper than most people could buy a small tough single Round Steak for.
I wish I still had all those old contacts, hi hi. Moving south really changed my whole world.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yeah, restaurants and other eateries get all the good stuff. Prime beef used to be easy to find in any meat market. Now you're lucky to find Choice. It's not that the prime cuts have gone extinct, although they are more rare than twenty years ago. All the expensive cuts are now going to businesses. I also don't think cattle ranchers are feeding their stock the same way as they did when Prime Beef was plentiful. It's too expensive to fatten up them heifers now. I guess the pandemic turned the commercial food market upside down, and some of that really good restaurant quality food can be found in the local shops. It's all hit and miss. You got to the at the right place at the right time to get the right stuff.

Fresh fish is the best. At least you can see what you are getting before you buy it. I agree that white fish probably is the best and I do bake most of it. I don't recall frying fish any time recently. The best of the best, however, is poached or braised. Poached cod is to die for. Maybe the best fish I ever ate was Dover Sole at a restaurant that has long gone out of business back in Chicago. They made an excellent sauce to go with it and I wish I had the recipe.

Then, too, tuna salad on crackers is pretty good. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm. I've never liked Prime meats, they are all way to fatty, and have too much waste.
In my book Prime and Suet should fall into the same classification.
For myself, I actually prefer what is called Select.
In our restaurant we used Choice for our roast beef sandwiches.
Most of the home delivery meat companies sell Prime meats.

Speaking of things missing in the restaurants it is an item called Shrimp in a Basket.
Shrimp in a Basket used 75 count shrimp.
By comparison Popcorn shrimp is 100 to 120 count.
When you order shrimp, most restaurant either have 55 count or Fantail 45 count.
The larger the shrimp, even fried, it begins to taste like boiled shrimp, which I hate the taste of.
In fact, that is what happened to all the 75 count shrimp, it is sold as boiled shrimp.

Fish is very hard to cook. If your timing is off by less than a minute, you either have glassy undercooked, or rubbery overcooked.
Which makes cooking fish at home much harder than for a restaurant where everything is controlled to the nth degree.
My uncle used to cook fish over an open fire in a folded screen type of holder you might use for burgers.
How or why they always came out perfect for him is beyond comprehension. And he never told us either, hi hi.

The only way I can get a good steak is if I could afford to go to a restaurant that specializes in steaks, and then they are always too expensive, so I end up ordering something else instead, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I suppose one's taste in meat is like many other things, i.e., personal. Prime graded meat was always considered the best precisely because of the marbling with fat. The idea was to render the fat so that the juices added to the flavor. Actually the juices were the flavor in many cases. They say all the flavonoids in the seared portion of the steak is where the flavor is, but to me that is burnt meat. Some recipes require the searing just to create that burnt surface but then they are roasted or braised to get those juices flowing. The most obvious example of what fat does for flavoring can be experienced when making the humble hamburger. A hamburger made from 80% chuck is way more flavorful than 93% lean ground sirloin. Plus the sirloin is twice the price. LOL

Both my wife and I love shrimp, but it's nearly impossible to get edible shrimp. Much of what is sold in the grocery is cleaned and cooked which means it should not be cooked any further when making Scampi for example. Uncooked shrimp are mushy, or at least the ones I've found around town here in Missouri are that way. I think they lose texture when they are frozen and defrosted. Fresh shrimp, of course, would be the best choice but are way more trouble to prepare than I care to go through. Some people eat the vein of the shrimp as a delicacy. To my way of thinking shrimp poo is not a gourmet thing. LOL I've talked to some folks in Louisianan who claim crayfish are the best eating ever - better than shrimp. Well, I've seen fresh crayfish and I'd not want to have to clean those babies either. Oddly enough the local Dierburgs has frozen crayfish once in a blue moon. They look too ugly to eat, and I'd have no idea how to cook them anyway. I don't think I want to know.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There is enough fat still in lean meat to impart the delicious flavor without having to overcook it to render the fat out.
My wife got a Souis Vide (sp) for Christmas last year. She's used it for several things since then, but then packed it back up again. She would rather toss something on the grill and be done with it in a few minutes than mess with it for two days first, hi hi. Albeit, she is NOT good at cooking meats.
I wish I still had the same kitchen I had in St. Louis, I would have meat at every meal, hi hi.

I'm not a big fan of shrimp but do crave some about once a month or less often.
But since I can't find anyone who sells 75 count deep fried, perhaps once every three months is now my norm.

I've tried crawfish, but didn't like the texture or the taste. No matter how it was cooked.

Had rattlesnake once, but didn't know it was rattlesnake until it was disclosed after dinner.
Looked and tasted like shrimp but didn't have the tails.
I still turned green when I found out though.
yogi

Post by yogi »

About the most exotic sea food I ever consumed was sea turtle. I was down in Puerto Rico on business at the time and was taken to an open air restaurant for lunch. There were no permanent outside walls in this place, but they did have a way to raise the steel shields when a hurricane was imminent. The sea turtle was plentiful and sold freely in the deli that was part of the restaurant. They didn't know how old the critter was on my plate, but they did insist it could be as many as 300 years old. It was very flavorful, tender, and easy to digest. It's probably illegal now to even catch them.

We were up in Michigan doing the tourist thing and found a quaint little restaurant on a boat that was docked in a river. It was quite a fancy place as I recall but the menu was geared for tourists. Wife and I ordered coconut shrimp for an appetizer but could have finished eating with just that. It was remarkable because that was the first time we had shrimp prepared that way, and because the shrimp wasn't brisk and chewy. It was not tender as cod, for example, but it was easy eating. I never asked but it had to be very close to 75 count sized shrimp. It would take three conservative bites and dipping in the sauce to consume an entire shrimp.

I'm not sure what color I'd turn if I ate rattlesnake meat. LOL I think it's at Trader Vic's or someplace like that where you can buy fried crickets and chocolate covered ants. They claim the crickets are full of healthy protein and better for you than meat. That could be possible, but I'm never going to find out from personal experience. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm a scaredie cat when it comes to trying new things. Many things I just won't try at all, no matter how good some folks say it is.
75 count shrimp is small, only one size larger than popcorn shrimp. Basically one bite each is all.
Most restaurants serve 50 count shrimp these days, that's about two to three bites.

I had chocolate covered ants one time, but didn't know it at the time, sorta like the rattlesnake, hi hi.
I will say, the rattlesnake did taste good at the time, a little more wildish than shrimp, but I figured that had to do with the seasoning he used. But boy did I feel sick after I found out what I had just eaten. He called it fantail shrimp, ha ha...
Sadly, I had a piece of dog meat when I was in Nam, just a small piece less than 2 inches by 1 inch. It was prepared by the locals who saw us on the beach bringing out injured. It was a fairly long wait for a few of us and they would come down the beach bringing us things to eat, usually fruits, but sometimes other things. I did eat one fruit that was good, have no idea what it was though. Didn't even know I had dog meat until one of the crew said he thought that is probably what it was, since they eat a lot of that over there. Didn't taste wild like rabbit or squirrel would. But it was chewy.

This may sound odd, but I'm not too fond of bass, trout, or any of the other fish considered so popular.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are a few things I probably would not try; I have yet to eat an oyster for example. My wife loves Oysters Rockefeller but the closest I get to something like that is clam chowder. Mollusks were not intended to be consumed by humans in my opinion. LOL Growing up fish was not a favorite food of mine, but as I became more and more proficient at cooking I look forward to certain sea foods. I've never attempted to make scallops but have had some gourmet quality ones when we eat out. That would be the only exception to eating mollusks by choice.

In general I'm with you and don't favor fresh water fish. Sea food is not nearly as repugnant.

Never had dog meat that I know of, but have eaten rabbit. Grandpa would also make squab from the pidgins he raised. I have not had any since I was a kid but do recall liking it. The only thing new I would like to try is horse meat, but like dogs most people are too fond of them to be considered food stock. They apparently are easier to raise than cattle and are lean eating.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My grandpa on my mom's side was definitely old school, waste not want not.
He had a young horse hit by lightning, which killed it. He dressed it out behind the barn.
Most of it he earmarked to use as hog and dog food, but some of it he used for stewing with.
Without telling grandma what it was of course, hi hi.
I never was there on the times when they ate it, that I know about anyhow, hi hi.

There's a meme I see on Farcebook every now and then, that shows an open clam.
And the comment was, I wonder who opened up a clam and said that big glob of snot looks good and ate it, hi hi.

My uncle Andy was the only person I knew who could fix rabbit so it didn't taste wild.
About the worst smell in the world is cleaning a goose or duck. For that reason I've never eaten either.
When I was young, I sure dressed out a lot of chickens though. Hated it too!
And I think I got one of the nastiest jobs of cleaning the intestines because grandpa sold them to the butcher shop.
He also bought some back from the butcher shop when he dressed out a hog and needed to make sausage.

I'm sorta glad we have factories who handle all that stuff now, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Czernina is a Polish soup made of duck blood and clear poultry broth. Mom also put prunes, raisins, noodles and a few other things into her soup. She would get fresh duck's blood from the local poultry store - they had such things in our neighborhood back in the day. I loved the soup and looked forward to her making it. One time at my grandfather's insistence mom got a live duck from the store for the soup. It involved not only killing the duck but draining and saving the blood. Then taking the feathers off which involved searing them over an open flame on the kitchen stove. The stink from those burnt feathers still bring up bad memories to this day. That was the only time mom used a live duck -- too much trouble she said. I never ate another drop of Czernina after that. Grandpa had my share.

I can see why people decided to eat bugs. They were available in many places where meat producing critters were not. But, eating the innards of an animal living inside a shell doesn't sound rational when there are so many other things like fish readily available. Perhaps when you are desperate for food anything goes, but it's hard to believe food was that scarce to force humans to try and eat mollusks. Then again those early food hunters would probably choose to die of starvation than eat a bag of Cheetos :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Part of my military wilderness training was how to survive in a jungle.
Ironically, there are a lot of edible things one would never consider edible.
Bugs and reptiles included. Lot's of leaves and certain tree barks and saps.
I don't remember any of it now, didn't pay much attention then either, hi hi.
I do remember a lot of the lesson was sickening though, hi hi.

I did sorta get lost in Superior National Forest when I was up there going to school.
But we all carried these locator transmitters which are on all the time.
I only went to take a leak and ended up walking the wrong way back.
Then I lost all sense of direction and kept heading further away from the group.
You can't really see the stars properly under a tree canopy.
So I just sat down on a rock and watched to see which way the stars moved between the tree branches.
That's how I determined which way to start walking.
However, it was a good thing a couple found me, because had I kept going the direction I was going, I would have went deeper into the forest where it would have been more dangerous.
The leader of our group had a two-way radio, and I could hear him getting closer to me, because someone was telling him which direction to go to get to me. This was YEARS before GPS. Our little transmitter just emitted a beep is all, but must have included and ID code with it, not that we could hear it.
Three different towers would pick up my transmitter signal and plot where I was and relay that info to the group leader.
Yes he was madder than blue blazes at me, because I didn't bring my compass or anything else with me.
Why should I, I only went behind a tree to take a leak, hi hi. Now I know!