Merry Christmas!

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Merry Christmas!

Post by Kellemora »

The grass is short, the range is dry,
Good prospects ain't a half inch high,
The cows ain't fat, this verse ain't clever.
But "Merry Christmas" same as ever!
yogi

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by yogi »

I like the country tone to your message :mrgreen:

I'm sitting here in a hotel room back in Illinois. It seems that we have not missed a Christmas with the family here ever since we left town. However, it sure puts a different perspective on things being a visitor as opposed to a resident. For one thing I'm seeing the world through my laptop instead of my desktop. Seems cramped. LOL Anyway, the big dinner party will begin in a few hours, than back home tomorrow.

You might not know it
but I'm no poet
So ... you get the standard Christmas message in prose. I hope your Christmas is warm and wonderful, and most of all I hope you took the day off from work. Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Had a wonderful Christmas!
All the vultures came and dined, and left the place looking like a 3rd world country, hi hi.
Everyone knows what I like, I ended up with 7 jigsaw puzzles to assemble.
Nope, no work on Christmas day.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My daughters gave me a weather station for Christmas. It's got all the instruments needed to measure percipitation, wind speed, direction, barometric pressure, and, of course, air temperature. The station broadcasts to what looks like a small mobile tablet that presents all the statistics. Presumably a history can be compiled as well.

I've not read about how to use it yet. However, I do know there will be a problem mounting it. They supply an angled bracket on a tube which is to be mounted on (screwed into) something stable - it's a delicate instrument after all. I also know that this gizmo should be placed in a specific type of environment, like shade about 6 feet off the ground and away from any big structures. That is going to be a problem. I don't know to what I can mount this fantastic weather station. I've thought of perhaps a 4x4 with some kind of legs to keep it stable. That way I can move it around to find a good spot for it. The ideal conditions exist in my front yard next to the porch. While that might be the scientific ideal, it sucks as far as aesthetics is concerned. When I get it going I'll take a picture or something.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Many eons ago, I had the Heathkit Weather Station.
Some of the sensors, like temperature, were placed inside a wooden box with a roof and louvers on all four sides.
The windspeed indicator was mounted on a fence pole across an open area of the yards fence, away from buildings and trees. The rain gauge was placed on my radio tower on a 3 foot boom. This part of the kit was probably the most interesting because it used three separate cylinders. Each one would invert every third hour, but spaced an hour apart. Maybe if I word it this way, one of the three tubes would invert every hour, then reset when the next tube inverted an hour later.
I really liked it, and since I built it, I could fix anything that went wrong with it, at least for the first several years, then certain parts were no longer available.

I have a cheap one here that is not very accurate. Nothing fancy, and almost all of it is made of plastic, even the outside parts, which are all in a single plastic box. The windspeed spins on the top, just under the wind direction vane. I'm not sure how the rain gauge actually works because it is not a tube, just a flat disk that looks more like an unprotected solar cell that sits about a 10 to 15 degree angle and part of the roof.
It has always read about 2 degrees lower than my computer shows is the temperature at the airport.
Of course, the airport is covered with macadam and has all those jet engines heating up the place, hi hi.

Sounds like you got a fairly fancy one, I'm sure you will enjoy it! I loved mine!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I read the manual this morning and it is indeed pretty sophisticated.
THIS ONE HERE ==> https://www.acurite.com/pro-5-in-1-weat ... -rain.html

The sensor unit broadcasts in the 400MHz band and has a range of about 100 meters. This could be affected negatively if I had something big between the sensor and the inside display unit. They claim it's pretty accurate out of the box, but they also give instruction how to offset the readings if you know how much error there is. The rain gauge is a dish with a plastic screen over it to keep out debris. Inside there is something like a paddle wheel with buckets that hold exactly 24 drops of water. They want you to put exactly 8oz of water into a paper cup and let it drip slowly into the rain gauge over an hour's time. The idea is to count the drops of water dripping from the cup. You should hear the paddle flip every 24 drops. When the whole 8oz of water is passed through the rain gauge, it should read 1.06 inches of rain. If not, make some adjustments and start over. I think I don't care how accurate the rain gauge is. LOL

There is a solar cell above the collection plate for the rain. This cell must face south to pick up the maximum amount of sunlight. It drives a motor inside the device which sucks in ambient air for the temperature measurement. This is supposed to eliminate any inaccuracies do to surface heating/cooling. The sensor needs 4 AA batteries of the lithium variety. Lithium batteries will work down to -40F whereas the alkaline are only good down to -4F. Both types will work up to +140F before exploding. Interesting fact; I never knew about the temperature thing.

The display has all kinds of functions including wind-chill, heat index, dew point, and a few other things. Also, they say the ideal placement of the sensors would be 33 feet above ground per the National Weather Bureau. I have a deck with a railing about 15 feet off the ground. Seems like a good spot to me. :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

sounds like one funky weather station!

the only concern i have nowadays is keeping my eyes peeled for frost so i don't freeze my citrus trees or banana plants. it looks like i need to bring them in on saturday, as it' supposed to drop down to -3 C. but then again, the forecast is such guesswork, perhaps i'll just do that tomorrow...

one of my more interesting presents was Trevor Noah's Born a Crime. it was a bit confusing in places but b h was it ever funny in places, too! i don't much do the LOL thing for real, but there were times he had me howling! a lot of that was re: what a little shit he'd been as a kid. he's still young, so i guess that explains why it was such a slim volume. :mrgreen:

i did pretty much all the wrapping and there was enough junk to have filled a country store. wrap-wrap-wrap, had the cats kept still, i might have done them, too.

and boy! am i ever happy that there were no mugs! been mugged to death. totally.

and the dinner... only 8 of us but bloody hell, :yikes: like the mongol hoards had invaded here, too!

meanwhile...

yogi

Post by yogi »

You grow bananas in France? Do you make Bananas Foster? I love that stuff.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I know the weather stations have come a long long way over the years thanks to computers and electronic components.

You are starting to make me itch to get another one myself.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Hang in there just a little longer. I'm waiting for the lithium batteries to be delivered and then I have to run to Home Depot to get a block of wood. Then I will be able to set it all up and tell you exactly how great it REALLY is. Back about a dozen years ago I saw an equivalent weather station for around $400. I told the girls about it then but didn't actually expect them to spend that much. This one is about 1/4th the price of the first one I saw. Hopefully the quality hasn't been reduced that much.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I checked out a few on-line last night, more out of curiosity than anything else. I don't like the ones sold at the big-box stores. I've had a few minimal cheap Taylor brand that were either not accurate or didn't work very long.
The one I liked was Ambient Weather WS2902, but a little above my budget, hi hi. Still under 200 bucks though.
What turns me off is when I see things like WiFi, etc. Or reviews saying how hard it is to set up.

I keep thinking of the smart watch I bought (then sent back), you couldn't even set the time on it if you didn't have a Schmartz-Fone.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've got one of those FitBit watches sitting on my desk right now. My wife loves to get me gadgets and she thought this would be the bees knees. As you say, somebody had to have an app installed on their mobile device in order to enable the watch. After that it all could be done manually. The part I didn't like was that everything the watch recorded was sent to the cloud. Thus some anonymous computer in the sky knew my every movement, my pulse rate, my blood pressure, when I slept, and when I walked around. Sounds innocuous, but I still didn't trust that part of the operation. I gave up on it because the BP reading were unrealistic. Newer models are supposed to be better, but I'm in no hurry to find out.

The Wx station I have doesn't use traditional WiFi frequencies. It operates in the 400MHz band, which is probably something like citizens band. Unlike the watch, all the recorded history is stored locally in the display panel. It needs to be stocked with 8 AA batteries to protect the data from a power failure. All I know is that this weather station was made in China. I'm guessing the girls got it off Amazon, and the gods only know where Amazon got it from.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Because I do cardiac rehab exercises, I have to record my weight, blood pressure, SpO2, and heart rate, before I start.
Then check my heart rate at certain intervals of my exercises.

I have a few of those fingertip sensors, some expensive, some cheap, ironically, the cheap ones seem to work better.
However, with poor circulation and cold fingers, sometimes they don't read at all.
I used a chest strap type for a short time, then got an arm band style, which I liked the best. But it died.
All the new ones now require a Schmartz-Fone to use, so I've not been able to replace it.

A lot of radio powered electronics use the leading area just ahead of the ham bands.
And many are so poorly constructed, they interfere with the ham bands, which is illegal for them to do.
On the receiving end of those devices, the owner user MUST accept any interference the receiver picks up.
Even if the interference is so bad it renders the device useless.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When I was in a hospital telemetry ward about a dozen years ago, they were monitoring my every heartbeat. Well, they were supposed to, but I happened to stroll by the control room during a little sortie I took and saw a lot of unattended display panels. I suppose something critical would sound an alarm, but I got the impression they were not watching as closely as they should have been. My case wasn't very serious, but there were some high risk heart patients on the floor. Hope they were well monitored. What I'm getting at is that the monitor people in the hospital don't need no stinking smart phone to do their thing. I'm certain you can get something like that for your own purposes. You may have to mortgage the house to buy it, but at least you won't have to buy something you won't use 98% of the time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When my late wife reached the point she needed 24/7 monitoring, I bought a pulse/oximeter which a paper printout and recording tape. It had several alarms which could be set, and would pick up a strong but irregular heartbeat too.
And yes that sucker was expensive, close to 2 grand back then.

There is a guy I run across every once in a while at the place I go to exercise. He's probably on a regular schedule, which doesn't happen to land on the times I'm there. But when he is, he has this great upper arm band, which works in conjunction with a wrist watch display.
I asked him about it once, since it was something like I was looking for.
He said he was not at all happy with it. Although it gives accurate readings, the watch part is intended to be worn at all times, else the reports you can access are totally off. He can look up all the data on his computer, or on his cell phone. He has an older cell phone, no longer in service, that he carries in his gym bag just for making setting changes to the watch component. The arm band can be set to take your blood pressure, but unless you are sitting still before activating it, it also gives erroneous readings.
He told me the make and model of the one he really likes, but when I looked into it, that model was no longer made, and the replacement model was over 600 bucks. More than I can afford.

I have a wrist blood pressure cuff and a couple of fingertip pulse/oximeters, which will work if my hands are warm.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think I might have mentioned my experiences with blood pressure measuring devices elsewhere. It may be worth mentioning again that my research has shown conclusively that the old fashioned arm cuff is the best way to go. The wrist cuff and the watch style devices read significantly different than the cuff machine. The cuff machine correlates with what my doctor uses in his office. So, that's what I settled on. Plus, the cuff machine is calibrated and guaranteed for 24 months. In think it was under $60 but I'm not positive about that.

There was a time when I did blood sugar measurements. Being on anticoagulants gives me cold fingers and toes which has the effect of keeping the blood inside my fingers even which pricked with a needle. Some of those blood sugar measurements required stabbing six or seven fingers before I could get a few drops to make the measurement. Fortunately I outgrew the need to do that, but I can empathize with you and your cold hands.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yes, I like the cuff models much better than the wrist models. My wrist model always reads about 10 to 15 higher, but at least it is consistent.

I check my blood using the inside of my arm. Two reasons, it's not so sensitive there, and it bleeds easily, hi hi.
Because of blood thinners, I carry a styptic pencil in my pocket at all times. I may start bleeding for no reason. Usually around the same areas, and it moves around within a given area for a few weeks before stopping. Most of the time it is just above my elbow joint on the outside of my arms, so is easy to get to. The doc has me keep a record, and if I leak too much hydraulic fluid to often, he reduces or changes my scripts around.

My A1C shot up like a skyrocket a few years back due to a certain med. I got off the med right away, but the damage was done. So now I have to check my BG every day. Fortunately, by diet, I've been able to get it back down to normal. However, ever since, it has been slowly climbing back up again no matter how careful I am about what I eat or drink. I'm hoping to stay off insulin. Just paying for the frau's insulin is keeping us in the poorhouse. Her last script for insulin was over 1,300 dollars, for a one month supply.
This is why at 71 years old she had to go back to work. She only works part-time, and doesn't make enough to cover her insulin, much less anything else. But what she does make helps.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

greetings!

i used to have those wrist monitors, but gave up after the second visit to the emerge where i'd had really high readings. it turned out that monitor also had rather inflated opinions.

so, i bought the cuff set up and showed squeaki how to use it. it's easy enough and the doc is very pleased with that
and so am i.

also, perhaps worth mentioning, my b/p was labile, driving everyone nuts! it'd go from 180/110 down to 110/60 for no discernible reason. i was on 16 mg of candesartan and couldn't go up. a diuretic? nah, they make me dizzy... so, finally the doc came up with sprironolactone.

well, it made me dizzy and had other weird side effects as well, but then i thought of splitting them up to quarters.

what do you know, that worked!

frigging drug manufacturers seem to think we need elephant guns to kill mice, instead of considering making smaller doses one can double up if required.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My doc has me on enough meds that my BP rarely fluctuates more than a few points. I assume this is good, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm thinking your BP needs to elevate when you burn excess energy (oxygen), like during your cardio exercises.

I'm with Vikki regarding the drug dosage. I was prescribed Nexium to take care of an acid reflux problem. The lowest prescription dosage was 60mg per capsule. That worked well. Then I read how some of these acid blockers can cause cancer in the long term so I checked out the OTC variety at the local pharmacy. It's the same stuff as is in the prescription but only 20mg dosage. Sooo ... I bought a box and the results were the same as the higher dosage, not to mention cheaper. The doctor has no clue why the drug dealers pick a certain dosage for prescriptions. I guess it's an average of worst case analyses. I'm not a worst case, fortunately.