eurovision

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

eurovision

Post by pilvikki »

just watching eurovision... a band from netherlands doing c/w.

ah, yesss, i said c/w. :think: :confused:

pretty sure the israeli chicken song will win. that girl can cluck - and sing.
pilvikki

Re: eurovision

Post by pilvikki »

and then there was the cyprus rep... looking like she was wearing nothing much but glitter, heels and sleeves. and dancing like a stripper.

:facepalm:
yogi

Post by yogi »

c/w ???
The standards for European broadcasts are a bit different than what we pretend to enforce here in America. The whole European attitude about sex in general seems way more evolved that what I see around here. I'm not sure what accounts for the difference, but it certainly is interesting because half the people in this country have ancestors from Europe.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

there was a thunderstorm going on, so i unplugged loki, but it doesn't give me any warning while running off the battery, so i never found out who won what as the damned thing just cut out. rude!

i did notice that until then cyprus had gotten quite a lot of votes... :eek: but so did sweden, with a truly insipid offering.

it appears that my taste in this kind of entertainment runs afoul of the general population. i guess i'm old, looking the results up, israel wins, YAY! but... cyprus came second. :facepalm: :facepalm:

sweden was up there, too, finland 2nd to last. too bad, aalto has a fantastic voice, but i suppose they picked the wrong song.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Half naked Cypriots would, of course, garner a lot of votes. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty much a curmudgeon when it comes to movies, television, and popular music. I don't hardly do any of that and it's been that way for many years. Sitting glued to the media machine watching and/or listening to the latest fads seems like a waste of time to me. It's much more productive posting inane observations on a bulletin board that's been obsolete for generations. :lol:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:grin:

i spend way too much time watching tv, having gone from the occasional series to 2-3 looong hours a day! my job is basically a companion to an old lady who usually remembers me, but not my name, yet tonight commented on steve hawking we saw on a black holes program "he's dead now."

amazing how one's mind works. or doesn't.

of course, you can learn stuff... like, i now know that princess diana's bridal bouquet was 42" long. and that they always make 2 cakes and 2 bouquets since queen lizzie's cake and flowers got lost somewhere in the windsor castle in 1947... yes, the old bird's been married my entire life, minus 6 months or so.

actually, closer to gary's. :razz:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Scary how all of a sudden you can look around and discover that you have lived through an entire historical period.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

even scarier when you backtrack to the 40's and think what's changed.

like everything.
yogi

Post by yogi »

We are living in an era more than a couple generations beyond the '40s crowd. Naturally, I'd expect each new round of progeny to have it's own ideas about social structures and all. The differences, however, have grown exponentially over the decades. I was born in the '40s, but that's about all that is left of that era. And even I am considered obsolete in many circles.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I was born in the '40s, but that's about all that is left of that era. And even I am considered obsolete in many circles.
i hear you!

but it's worse when the kids expect you to keep abreast of everything and be as capable as one was 2 decades ago...

:sad:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I still recall wondering why old people think the way they do. At the time I figured I'd never be so nearsighted in my thinking. Well, here I am on the brink of being one of those people I criticized so many years ago. I just smile at those youngsters knowing they too will be old like me some day.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

my grandma's second husband was born 1886. guess if he had some odd ideas! :lmao3:

but i learned a lot from him, only clear to me years after it was no longer possible to thank him for it...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I never was the stereotypical rebellious teenager, but I did have my disagreements with the generations ahead of me. I think it boiled down to learning custom, tradition, and values more so than how to deal with the everyday challenges of life. There is some comfort to be had in the tried and proved methods preserved by the older folks, but you also need to adapt to the present in order to grow and make progress. It's a tough call. Do you want to feel comfortable or do you want to get better?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, it depends...

the issue of customs popped up on this finnish board i hang around at and the particular item of the day was drinking your coffee through a lump of sugar and from the saucer. mother fancied herself quite the lady and was outraged that grandma should act such a peasant! peasant meaning uneducated and lacking in social graces.

meanwhile, us kids thought it a riot as it was quite tricky to balance the saucer - and the folk of that board considered it such a quaint and endearing habit.

but it must have done a hell of a number on one's teeth...
yogi

Post by yogi »

You should tell this story on FB. Maybe it will become a fad. LOL
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, nowadays many people use mugs... and in france some use bowls, others what amounts to thimbles for what they're worth.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've been watching some Asian cooking shows. Those folks eat everything using chop sticks - even soup. It's humorous and somewhat awkward watching them eat noodles. They grab an end and suck the entire length into their mouths. Over here we use a fork and sucking your noodles in like that is frowned upon. The amazing part of all this is how casual the Asians are about using sticks to force food into their mouths. I realize that is the culture over there, but there are easier ways to eat. I've never seen a knife on their tables either. Cooks use knives, but diners seem to be unfamiliar with such things.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i've been to a 'real' chinese restaurant and did not like it. too alien in customs and the duck grease! :yikes:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Asians do marvelous things with ducks. Aside from the way they eat noodles, there are hundreds of vegetables in their diet, all of which I've never seen in stores around here. Then again, I haven't seen very many Asians here in Missouri. :think:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

2 of my grandkids are half philippine, so the like the asian markets wherever they go. and daughter often cooks it. it's healthy etc, but i'm still not used to some of it..