Deepest and Oldest Lake On Earth

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Deepest and Oldest Lake On Earth

Post by yogi »

pilvikki

Re: Deepest and Oldest Lake On Earth

Post by pilvikki »

lovely!

but clear ice tends to freak me out, lol!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Clear ice goes well with Scotch
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Awesome pictures!

No where near as fantastic as this humongous lake, but when I was in Colorado, we went to the top of Mount Evans (it's higher than Pikes Peak), and observed a frozen lake with all kinds of patterns and bubbles in the ice. In a few spots you could see the bottom of the lake, but nothing fancy down there, other than weeds and fish.
yogi

Post by yogi »

On my first visit to Colorado at the ripe old age of 16, we toured Mount Evans. I can still recall the vista and how I was amazed at it all.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

plenty of clear ice in finland, but nothing that spectacular that I ever saw....
yogi

Post by yogi »

It makes me wonder why the ice is clear in Finland but fizzy and foggy in my fridge's freezer.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The water in your ice trays freeze on the outside first, trapping air and impurities in the ice, so it comes out cloudy.
You could use highly filtered or distilled water and get ice clearer but not perfectly clear for the reason mentioned above.

To get perfectly clear ice, filtered water frozen in thin layers from the bottom up will normally be crystal clear.

An ice maker we had in one of our restaurants used a cylinder with metal pegs. Only the pegs dipped into the water trough as the unit turned. It made the small cubes with the hole in them. I never took it apart to see how it worked, only opened it up to clean the water feed tray and ice storage bin.