The Velvet Underground..

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
tomsk

Re: The Velvet Underground..

Post by tomsk »

it will be a different dimension when our spirits have flown..
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're hoping.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

that's Faith for you!
Icey

Post by Icey »

True. I think I've lost mine though. You might tell me to get to the confession box swiftly, but let's face it T, the old beliefs become harder and harder to have faith in, l because they seem so outrageous. I'd love to have that faith I was brought up to have, but it's rapidly disappearing as logic takes its place.

You see, the thing is, for thousands of years, humans've worshipped god/gods in one form or another, because they didn't have the knowledge or understanding of how/why nature and its forces happened. If it thundered, people were frightened by the "wrath of the gods", so tried to appease him, and myths and legends sprang up about the gods who lived on Mount Olypmus, etc.

It'd be fabulous if some of these stories were true. I believe that Jesus walked the earth, but DID he perform miracles, or were they by luck or trickery? You can't take the Bible literally, because many verses're missing, and humans translated the old texts as they saw fit - and produced translations from old languages which could be totally wrong.

Churches sprang up and became very rich and powerful, but people were controlled by them, and frightened with hell-fire if they waivered from the teachings. In this way, the flocks were manipulated, and those ancient beliefs're still instilled into people today, just as they are with any religion you can think of.

The idea of a "heaven", or of our souls going to some beautiful and peaceful place is man-made. No one can prove that God - or even Jesus - said this or that, and so folk want to believe that there's something better to come. I hope they're right, but quite frankly, it seems doubtful. The only thing to do, is to live our lives as best as we can. If there's another realm for the righteous, then those who've lived good lives'll reap the benefit of it, but then, God's supposed to be all-forgiving, and if a person repents of their sins before they expire, then they'll go to heaven as well - so you might as well enjoy yourself, whether you behave as expected, or not! : )