The Four Elements of Today's Republicans

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

The Four Elements of Today's Republicans

Post by yogi »

In 2019 things ain't what they used to be, and I often wondered why. The linked article is an eye opener about our history more than an indictment against any one political party. In the past I referred to a Culture War that I see in progress in today's world. This article clearly shows how that culture war is being carried on among ourselves in this country. At the moment it's a cold war, but the implications are nonetheless scary.

Of what are today's Republicans Made?
  • Those motivated by white anxiety and resentment, some of whom also tend to be isolationists opposing U.S. military adventures abroad;
  • Those dedicated to maintaining U.S. military expansion around the world, some of whom genuinely believe in the ultimate superiority of a white, Christian United States and some of whom care only about the projection of force;
  • Right-wing evangelicals, many sharing white resentment and also ready to make common cause with the forces of imperial expansion, especially when it comes to support for Israel;
  • Those dedicated to increasing the wealth of the wealthiest elites, who are quite willing to harness white fear of losing privilege, as well as nationalist military desires, to advance their own agenda of reducing taxes and rolling back regulatory constraints on corporate power.
https://www.salon.com/2019/12/07/whats- ... s_partner/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: The Four Elements of Today's Republicans

Post by Kellemora »

I'm not even going to address this.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I agree the issues are not easy to understand, and I'd not expect all people to agree with the observations. That's where we are today as a country.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I saw the country go to hell in a hand basket under Obama, and see nothing but improvements under Trump, even though he gets bricks thrown at him from the left who try to block his every move.
And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Fair enough. The article is there in case you, or anyone else, would like to have an understanding of how those four elements came into being.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Tom Engelhardt, the author of that piece is a devout Trump Hater!
So what did you expect him to write? A fair report about anything?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't see how that changes history, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. :grin: