Fixing Memory Problems

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Fixing Memory Problems

Post by yogi »

It looks like drinking wine and eating chocolate are some of the things that help improve memory. I'm IN!

http://dailylivingch.com/is-your-memory ... s-for-you/
Icey

Re: Fixing Memory Problems

Post by Icey »

LOL! I think these'd have to be in small quantities though, which's a pity!

I prefer to think that the rest of the article makes some good points, basing what they say on my agéd great Uncle. It baffles me how he and his wife both have so much energy and vitality. They exercise daily, and constantly chat to family and friends. Their memory appears intact. They can reel off birthdays and anniversaries like nobody's business, so I think that their full and varied lifestyle goes a long way to keeping them mentally alert.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

me too! cheers! :clap: :grin:
Icey

Post by Icey »

:facepalm: I can't remember birthdays NOW ......... hopeless.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I got myself registered on this Alzheimer registry. yesterday. today I can't remember what the site is called and cannot find it in my favourites either.

:worry:

maybe a good idea for me?

so I googled it and here it is: https://www.endalznow.org/

it's for various tests, research and stuff. you get to pick what you want to participate in.
Icey

Post by Icey »

For anyone who's seriously concerned about their memory, there's no need to go on any register. If you catch the symptoms early enough, there's medication to slow the process right down, which allows the patient to carry on living an independent life for longer. That, plus engaging your brain in things which keep you mentally alert, can go a long way to staving off a rapid decline of memory. Not having a phone glued to your ear, and spending time with chatting to people face-to-face, can also help, as can setting yourself targets each day, such as remembering to do something at a certain time.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it's for research. they have several different kinds of approaches and you pick what suits you.
Icey

Post by Icey »

If people think it's going to benefit them, then fine. I just don't like the idea of registering details with these sort of things. It should be anonymous if it's for research.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

they say it totally is...
Icey

Post by Icey »

It doesn't look it, from the info they ask you for on the first page of that link - email address, first name, last name, country, post code and year of birth - with an encouragement to sign up if you haven't already done so. : (
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that's run of the mill stuff that every tom, dick and harry already has on anyone on the net... when they get into the whatever they doing for research, it 's all supposed to go into stealth mode...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

what a coincidence that i'd run into this soon as I left here:

https://www.backgroundalert.com/pa/

since I've no US address, I picked a random name, but I never bothered with the report, just wanted to see where it was going.

and... :yikes:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yep, sadly I've known about this for a while, and some very embarrassing information about a relative came to light - nothing illegal, but odd bits which they hoped the extended family wouldn't hear about.Those who saw it've kept quiet, so as not to make anyone feel awkward, but I really don't find this kind of snooping amusing. People can use such sites, gain info (which's really of no use to them personally, except for nosiness), and then at the very least, smile smugly about what they know. This's the trouble with the world today. Invasion of privacy's all around us, but I don't think it's a good thing at all.

In the UK, everyone (at the moment) has a choice of whether they want their medical records sharing with - for instance - other medical or emergency services and hospitals/pharmacies. The explanation's that with everything being down on computer, access can be quick if necessary. If someone was rushed into A & E, for example, their GP can be contacted anyway though, even when surgeries're closed. Air-Call services can contact doctors and provide important details, such as blood groups and on-going ailments, drugs being used etc., but our family've backed out of offering all medical history, because apart from any advantages there may be, this collection of information doesn't stop there. The umbrella has many spokes, and it was only after reading the small print, that we saw that agreeing to medical info being shared wasn't just within the medical field, but could be made available to other bodies as well. Many people won't give a monkeys, believing that it can't do any harm, but in times ahead, knowing that a person may suffer from something, or've had an illness which isn't considered "wanted" in society could cause all sorts of unpleasant connotations.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

so... what kind of people would the info be shared with? sounds really bogus to me..
Icey

Post by Icey »

It isn't bogus hun. Already, prospective employers check out FB to see if applicants are on there, and from their networking, chats and general posting, they can form a profile pretty quickly, which decides whether this person'll fit into the workforce, or if something comes through in their personality or chat which makes them "unsuitable". Other sites're used like that as well.

Medical histories could be used in the same way, or if a person doesn't declare a disability or illness when applying for a driving licence or some document which could mean the difference between being issued with one or not. Atm, only certain bodies're able to look at very private info, but these're getting more common, with talk of Councils being privy to the information. This could have a far-reaching effect, and maybe we aren't at the critical point yet, but it's on its way. : (
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I see what you mean.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Do you think I'm over-cautious about these sort of things? I have to say that I'm distrustful of surveys and such.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

no way!

i'm kinda bi-polar... some days i'm like "good heavens, i'd never...!" and other days the ADD kicks in "hey! that looks cool! I always wanted to know if I prefer vanilla over the chocolate flavoured ice cream."

:shrug:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well I sometimes think that maybe I'm a bit distrustful of people, full stop.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I ought to ne less naïve, but it's just not in my nature and I have to work to be sensible...