Excess Deaths

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Excess Deaths

Post by Kellemora »

Debi has several solar charged lanterns that sit on one of our window ledges. Plus we have an emergency lighting system that's plugged in to an outlet. When the electric goes out, the internal low light kicks on, but you can switch it to high light. It also has a lightweight flashlight with it that runs for about 1/3 hour before it goes out. I don't think it has a battery, but perhaps a capacitor to hold the power.

A lot of my old tools had the electric cable get brittle and crack, especially the tools I kept in the garage.
Not hard to replace the cords on them though. Just takes a little time to do it is all.
I save the cords from things I throw away, so always have a cord of the right size handy to use.

Ruth drug around her airline on the floor for a whole year before I put pipes in the walls. That hose got filthy dirty too, and black would build up inside the swivel connectors. Back then, almost all air connections were 3/8 inch threaded on everything from tanks to regulators, so I had to buy some slip on nipples to use those old regulators I had down here.
It wasn't hard to stick a few cup hooks up around the ceiling to keep the hoses up off the floor, and we have dogs who might like to pull on them. Up high works best here, but wouldn't have back home.
The problem with liquid oxygen is it evaporates fast, whether you are using it or not.

Had to pick up some eye drops to use after my surgery, and those things cost me 80 bucks, not covered by insurance, dang.

We have many jonquils and a few tulips which have sprouted around the house here. The jonquils will be blooming by the end of the week, and the tulips by the end of next week.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't have Jonquils here but I did have them up north. Lots of them. It always amazed me how early they poked their heads out of the ground. Sometimes I think the ground was still frozen, but probably not. There were a few years where they bloomed and then it snowed. I have some interesting pictures of snow covered jonquils somewhere. The snow seemed to invigorate them. They only drooped a little after being frozen but they generate more bulbs than the other bulbs and tubers I had. Wife planted the tulips here and I"m amazed they are still going after three years.. Chances are jonquils would work too.

We don't have many power outages here in O'Fallon, especially not after they upgraded the network. They weren't too common back in Chicago either but you could count on them happening a time or two each year. Most lasted only a hour or so which is how long it took the electric company to send out a truck to flip a breaker back on. The funny thing about those outages is that my computers survived every one of them over the twenty some years we lived there. About three years ago an outage nearly wiped out my Windows 7 installation here in Missouri, which is why I bought a UPS to fix that problem. Haven't had any outages since I got that UPS.

I know how you feel about burning candles, but that was our backup lighting system. In fact that's the only time we lit those candles. I've discovered recently that there are battery backup power systems for residential use. Some could be solar powered but others seem to be regular flow batteries. Given the minimal power consumption during outages those battery backups seem like a good deal compared to diesel generators.

Speaking of outages ... we did not have one today but the tornado warning sirens were sounding the alarm early this afternoon. We spent some time in the basement until the advisory ran out which was a lot colder than it was outside where it was 71 degrees before the storm front passed through. They tend to make a lot of fuss over storms in this part of the world, but most of the time it's much ado about nothing. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. My guess is that you will see this storm front pass through Knoxville too.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'll give you a little tip here on blooming bulb plants.
After the blooms petals fall off, cut the head off right away, else it will spend all its energy trying to produce seed, which many don't anyhow. By removing the spent flower, the energy is put into helping the bulb add offshoots and runner roots.
Debi's dad had a row of jonquils where a fence used to be, and they come up every year, but got a bit thinner each year.
My first season down here, after they bloomed I whacked all the tops off. Didn't get anymore the second year, but that third year it was back as a solid row and growing a bit wider too.
Now that I can't do that anymore, they are dwindling back down again.
We have a couple of persistent tulips that come up every year, right through all the debris, leaves, and twigs piled there.
I also had some around a tree in the front yard that did really well when I was topping them, they too are now dwindling back down to only like the original 6 I planted.
But that's the trick to get them to make more bulbs, just top them as soon as the bloom fades away.

When I lived in Creve Coeur we rarely if ever had any outages, except when the tornado picked up the neighbors tree and tossed it over the power lines, pulling my weatherhead and meter basin off the wall, hi hi.
I told you about the problem I had with my UPS cycling for no reason at all. Got rid of it.

I don't mind candles, in fact I keep 3 of them on a tray ready to light when the power does go out in my office.
Down at the house we have a lot of backup lights in at least 4 of our table lamps. Plus the other lights I mentioned.

I wish I would have kept my portable gas generator I used on jobsites that didn't have power yet. But sold it at the auction.
I could have made good use of it down here. I had sold that big China Diesel Dynamo I had when I was offered more for it than I paid for it, and used it daily for an entire year. It ran perfectly, so the guy who bought it was pleased.

They don't do much about tornado's down here, other than give a warning on the TV, and if it is a serious warning, it comes over everyone's cell phones. I have notifications for everything turned off on mine. Was getting at least one or two a day about something, which was most annoying when you only have a flip-fone for emergency use.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thank you for the tip regarding bulb growth. Fortunately I learned about clipping the seed pod many years ago and have been doing it ever since. It did indeed promote Jonquil growth. I had to thin out the bulbs every three or four years from the front garden where they were planted originally. The new bulbs went out to a clear spot in the back forest. There were well over a hundred, maybe even close to two hundred bulbs back there before we moved out. I did the same for day lilies which are tubers. They multiplied just as did the jonquils. In addition to clipping a dose of bone meal was applied either in late fall or early spring. Apparently bulbs love bone meal. I also learned that the flowers you see were developed from the prior year's feeding. Thus when you transplant the bulbs they are not likely to bloom again for two years. I had tulips and buttercups in addition to the jonquils and the front garden looked lovely for about two weeks.

I had something like a 2 or 3 KW gas generator at the old house. I got it solely for the sump pump because the water table was only 11'" below the basement floor. Only had to use it once in all the years we lived there and that is when I discovered the gas supply was good for only about one hour. It was tricky running it intermittently when the power went out for about 18 hours one time. It was after that event that I had a battery powered sump pump installed as a backup.

Apparently they get more severe storms and tornadoes around here than they do up north. We would get warnings in Chicago too but they didn't seem to go overboard like they do around here. One year the entire town of Joplin was flattened so that I guess everybody is a bit edgy when tornadoes are in the area. So far in our tenure here only one touched down in the town of Cottersville, literally adjacent to O'Fallon, but didn't do much damage. So, I think they go overboard but it's probably a good idea. To me the ice storms are much more of a threat, but I've sen people driving around in them. It's crazy.
Last edited by yogi on 24 Feb 2023, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Back at my home in Creve Coeur, I had a small fountain in the front yard, and I planted various bulbs around it that had different blooming periods. I planted them working with the first blooming like jonquils on the outer ring, then tulips, then one type of iris, then another type of iris, and finally low growing cannas the kind you don't have to dig up every year. Had a couple of other things in there also, like surprise lilies, and then some semi-hardy perennials that did die back in the winter, and didn't bloom until mid summer. So there was always some color in there.

I had a whole row of hydrangeas down here I would cut back to the second node each year so they bloomed profusely, without getting overly large. Our darn bush trimming guy I hired a couple of times, whacked them all down to the ground, so they all died, every single one of them. I could have shot him. He also did damage to our siding, namely the corners, and broke one of my full size window doors, only the outside glass so I never replaced it. Full-glass doors cost a fortune now.

One of the houses I worked in had a sump pump with a small propane powered motor for backup. It was not a generator though, it just ran a second set of impeller blades I think. I never looked at it that close. I just know it scared the bejesus out of me when I was adding some new piping for the upstairs bathroom and it kicked on when someone turned off the whole house breaker. I had removed some old steel water pipes and a few of them kept draining for a long time, and I heard the electric sup kick in a couple of times as the water filled up in their hole. But they were done dripping when that propane one kicked in about the same time the electric went out.

Before Debi and I were married, she was worried about all the tornado's she heard about up near me. I told her not to worry, the tornado's come down tornado alley about 3 to 5 miles north of me, never had one down near us.
Well, dang if the day we got home from our honeymoon, that first night, a tornado dropped down and pulled a neighbors large tree over the power lines, which put us in the dark for a week until I could get my end all fixed again.
An even bigger surprise was all the antenna's I had up in the air around the house.
I told her, if you could see underground, I have radials running through my neighbors yards all the way to the streets on each side of me, with their permission of course.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The so called forest I had on my property once belonged to a tree nursery. I guess that's how I ended up with apple and one pear tree back there. That land was unattended for at least twenty years before we moved in and you literally needed a machete to walk any distance into it. I found a wild raspberries and what looked like wild strawberries. That plant grew on the ground and had flowers just like my cultivated strawberries but the fruit itself was about the size of a large pea. It didn't have much taste to it either. Along the back border of the property were grape vines. They grew on and around the trees and shrubs. I recognized those grapes as the same kind my grandpa grew on his farm many years ago. They were extremely sour and hardly edible. My mission was to turn it all into a landscaped kind of park for when I retired. I did a lot of work back there cleaning things up and bought a lot of equipment such as a wood chipper and chain saws. Anything neighbors and friends did not want in their garden anymore was transplanted to somewhere back in that wooded area. The compost pile I made was amazing; enough to make a grown man cry from joy when it was all decomposed. Sadly, I only did about half of what I intended to do before we had to sell. Part of the delay was due to the poison ivy I found back there. I got rid of a lot of it but it always grew back and I developed a bad reaction to it. Thus I had to be very careful and was hesitant to do much for a few years. It was an amazing place to grow things and I miss it more than anything else about that house.

On a slightly different note I came across something very interesting today. My wife was cleaning the basement and emptying some of the boxes we never unpacked when we moved. She dug up a couple hand made books regarding her mom's family tree. There is/was a "Gary" genealogist in her family that did the same kind of thing you are doing for your family. I met this person at a funeral many years ago but at that time all they were doing is collecting information from relatives and storing it in a laptop they brought along. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time but recall thinking it was not exactly appropriate to collected data like that at a funeral. Maybe practical, but not appropriate. In any case, these two hand made books have data, charts, pictures, and news items going all the way back to the mid 1600's. The main pages were simply a form with all manner of genealogical information on each one and there were copies of pictures and documents to support those pages. Each book is at least 300 pages in length and it is clearly evident that somebody put A LOT of effort into compiling all that information. I am totally awe stricken just browsing through it all.

But ... you are right. Nobody cares. I got the books because wife wanted me to shred them. She has no major interest in their content. I don't know how old the books are or how we acquired them. It's just a shame that so much work is destined to be shredded. And, by the way, I did in fact find evidence of all this work on Ancestry.com when I was doing my own family tree there.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I cleaned off my back hill, rather than a chain saw, I used reciprocating saw with long wood trimming blades. This way I could cut the stumps flush to the ground without messing up chain saw blades, or the trimming blades either. Lots of work for sure, and my compost pile was used mostly for our garden as it aged.

Wow, that is an awesome find. I hope you make copies of them digitally, so they can be passed down to other members of your family. Someone will want them for sure.
DON'T let the frau shred them, they are too valuable to lose.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Family Tree Record
Family Tree Record
DataRecord-1.gif (177.56 KiB) Viewed 227 times
This is a sample of a record from that family tree book my wife uncovered. There isn't a lot of data for this entry but some others have all the blanks filled and then some hand written notes to go along with it. I guess the author was doing things on the fly before she distributed copies. And, she DID distribute copies to various members of the family. That would be my wife's mother's family, and somehow we ended up with a copy. It's got to be twenty years old or more and I"m sure a lot was added since the distribution of these records. But then, all I know for certain is that we get invited to the family reunion every summer where the tree used to be the central attraction. The last reunion I attended was last century some time.

I'm not certain what my wife wants to do with these books. She knows I have been tinkering around with genealogy and thought I might be interested in seeing this. But, she has no burning desire to keep it. I doubt that she read much of it. I have a feeling there already is at least one digital copy of this data given what occurred at that funeral I mentioned earlier. SOMEBODY is keeping track, or was keeping track. They went so far as to upload it to Ancestry.com which is where I saw some of the work originally just a few months ago. I knew what it was when I found it, but I did not want to touch it. Those people know who I am, or can easily find out. LOL

I don't see how digitizing all that information could be done easily. I suppose photographing it like I did with the above attachment would work, but for what purpose? It's not MY family, and my wife doesn't seem to care about preserving it. She has sisters and a brother and lots of cousins too, all who I suspect feel the same way. Good job. But ... who cares?

I have some keepsakes from mom's youngest brother. I think I told you about that experience in another thread. Uncle Chester was in the Army Signal Corps during WW II and he was very proud of his service. I did some research for him and found his name on a memorial in DC. He never got into computers so that he couldn't do it himself. It seems as if he went to the same grammar and same high school that I did, judging by the pictures and other memorabilia. There are tapes from radio shows he broadcasted while in the service but I doubt any of them are readable. There are also some genuine official government TTY printouts announcing Germany's official surrender. I was shocked to see that they were not turned into powder by now. He was in the Signal Corps so that it's not surprising that he just happened to make an extra copy or two. As it so happens, I got this box of collectables because a few other people in the family had them and did not want them. Well, I got them and think they are all valuable and meant a lot to dear old uncle Chester. But now what? I got them and nobody else cares about them.

So much for legacies.
Last edited by yogi on 26 Feb 2023, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya. I paid big bucks to keep some family artifacts in a professional storage facility who made them safe for storage, some items were encased in glass or plastic, often a plastic back with a glass front if it was an important one sided document.
I hit hard times and didn't want to pay the cost to keep the things there any longer, so went and got everything and brought the stuff home.
Most of the larger physical items, that had their whole history behind them, I finally put up on eBay and sold them. Many fetched a good price too. This was not until after I offered the items to various family members who should have been interested in keeping them. A year or so after I sold them, some family members contacted me wanting to take them. Told them too late, I sold them to someone who wanted them.

There is usually somebody in everybody's family who is interested in genealogy, and being on Ancestry I run across a few of them, and we've exchanged paperwork and stories written by our ancestors, things I don't put on Ancestry.
After I got the stuff I had out of storage, I took pictures of the physical items, and scanned almost all of the other documents, so do have them in my file under their names in my genealogy photo file, all organized very well. Most of those were scanned at the highest resolution possible at the time, so the files are quite large, too large to e-mail to someone. So what I was doing with several of them was copying them, then saving the copy as a jpg and at a reduced size, but still good enough to print them out. I did plan on making smaller files for computer display purposes, but just never got around to it.

I usually get about 1 or 2 requests per week from somebody wanting to know if I had something, like a photo of someone. Heck, just had one yesterday because I had a photo of a brother, and they wanted to know if I had a photo of the other brother. I checked and don't even know where the photo they saw came from, it was not in my files, so much have been on a page I saved the source file for on Ancestry?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm a pretty well organized kind of guy and did have a penchant for saving things that might be of interest when I get old. Well, I'm old now and all that I saved is gone. It got disposed of in the move from Illinois to MIssouri. There are a few pictures and documents I refused to toss and there are some things from mom, like the box of memorabilia from Uncle Chester. What remains today is less than 5% of what I stashed away during my early years. To be honest it was a bit of a heartache when we cleaned house up north, but I came to the realization that nobody would want any of the stuff I was saving. Maybe a picture or two would be of interest to the grandchildren, but they too are making their own memories from their lives. They don't really want my memories too.

And that's the point. There is a lot of data and interesting information in this world. Each one of us humans have a lifetime of memories that have meaning only to ourselves. The genealogists among us are driven by the impulse to organize and research historical facts. That's it as far as I can tell. It's a hobby much like model airplane building. Who would take your collection of balsa wood after you are gone? It would be the same people who would take a book about my family tree. the 1-800-JUNK people. It's satisfying and disheartening all at the same time.

Old Eilert Schmitt lived in Hasel, Germany and died there in 1684, That is what the first record in the family tree for my wife's mom says. It would be very interesting to know more about ol' Eilert, such as what he did most of his life and what interested him in his spare time. Knowing that would suggest what talents he possessed, which possibly could have been passed down to later generations of family. It would be absolutely wonderful to have a copy of his genome map so that it could be compared to such of my two daughters. Exactly how much of his genetic material still survives in living descendants would be more than interesting and information worthy of preserving. I guess you can have copies of your genes made today just for that purpose, but back in 1684, not so much.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I understand! I've amassed a ton of stuff since moving down here. Plus many boxes I brought from St. Loo as well.
I actually have a few boxes I packed up in Des Peres, when I moved to Creve Coeur which have never been opened.
I know what is in them, one is a Black Forest Cuckoo Clock, which I did put up for a short time in Creve Coeur until I started the remodeling projects, then it got put away again. I sold a few antique clocks I still had before moving south. But much of the other stuff, nobody would ever want.

Believe it or not, genealogist do want to know things like when you moved and from where. What life was like in different eras, and what types of jobs you had. Sometimes courting information is desired if there is something unusual or special about it.
For example: When my great-grandfather proposed to his gal, he was in a storm buggy and sideswiped a tree, knocking the light off the side of the buggy. I had that light, and the history of how it was used after that by my uncle John. Sold it on eBay.
I proposed to Debi atop the Gateway Arch, and put her ring on the wrong hand, hi hi. Simple fix, we reversed the photo's.

I do know how one of my ancestors traveled from city to city before coming to America. Interesting story.
Folks thought you had to be rich to get here, but that is not the case for most of the early emigrants.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your characterization of genealogists as story tellers more so than database administrators is pretty accurate. I guess that's one way to tell the pros apart from the amateurs. The family tree my wife has is full of data, but has a lot of maps and narrative about migration too. There are news articles and short essays as well regarding family historical events. There is nothing like the document you shared with me about your family establishing roots in Missouri, but there are short notes here and there to make things about the pictures interesting. Ancestry.com dedicates space to such stories and my tree is virtually empty in that regard. Apparently there are a couple other people who find my tree interesting in that they are said to have taken some of my information to use for themselves. These have to be paying members of that website because I can't see any of their work. In any case, genealogy is as much about story telling as it is about documenting facts.

All my ancestors came to this country as immigrants. None that I know about were particularly wealthy. In fact they came here because they thought there were opportunities to become wealthy that they didn't have back home. As you know I've not dug very deep into my roots but those immigrants more often than not departed from Austria and landed in New York. I guess that makes sense since Poland is where most came from. All they had to do was come up with the price of a ticket and they were on their way. I recall leaving Chicago for the last time with all the possessions I could carry in my car. Wife did the same with her car. It's hard to explain the feeling associated with leaving seven decades of your life behind to live in a place virtually unknown to you. I admire my ancestors for what they did in that regard.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

What is sad is so many folks come in and make trees that are not accurate at all, they just plug anything in they want to to get the numbers of people in their tree up. This is why I normally ignore any hints for personal family trees I get.

My tree is so big, some folks thought I did the same thing until they started looking at it, and found it be nearly as accurate as possible, and complete. No abbreviations or places without the county, except for very few where I put ? City, ? County, Nebraska or something like that.
People have sent me messages after looking at their family on my tree and said after checking my sources, my tree was more accurate and correct than their own tree.
I should have taken the time to download some of the pictures I gleaned while on Ancestry, because I won't be able to do so when my subscription runs out again.

In all honesty, most of our ancestors had very little in the way of personal possessions. Many only had two to four changes of clothes, and perhaps four sets of work clothes. A lot of the things we have here were not even invented yet when folks from abroad came to the U.S. of A.
My Great-Grandfather only brought with him what tools he could not make himself, and knew he couldn't buy once he got here.
Another relative fled the country with only the pair of clothes on his back, and something like 14 dollars, which 12 of that went to get a ticket for the ship he came over on.
My sons wife's father came over, he and his wife, and all he brought with him were his sets of butchering knives, since that was his trade. His first job was at a slaughterhouse's finishing section, which only lasted about a month before he was hired by a larger butcher company, where he stayed for about five years I think, before opening his own butcher shop.

You know before I moved south, I had an auctioneer sell off everything in my house, except for my work tools in my truck and a few other person items I moved to my mom's house. But then I had to get them out of her house as I was renovating it for sale at the time. I did keep a couple of pieces of expensive new furniture I had bought, like the bedroom set we use now.
But even it had to stay in storage down here for a while before I bought Debi's house for her from her sister. It's really great things turned out the way they did else I could not have ever got the house. Debi's sister and her husband wanted to move into town and needed more of a downpayment on their house, and I had a nice order that gave me the funds to buy her share of the inheritance, which also allowed them to get their house, then later I bought them a new central Heat Pump and that cleared my slate with them.

And world keeps going round and round, for the time being anyhow.
yogi

Post by yogi »

And world keeps going round and round, for the time being anyhow.
That is the only certainty in this universe of random events.

Today I Read a comment that stated it doesn't matter from where life originated given that nobody knows exactly what life is. The comment got my attention because I often contemplated that very subject asking myself what constitutes a living entity. We talked about that very topic in other threads but I don't think we came to any conclusion. Human life is not so difficult to understand. It's about the propagation and reproduction of genetic material. That reproduction effort occurs on many levels from microscopic to the galactic. I also read a comment that answered the question of why we have not discovered aliens yet. They don't exist was the answer. Some other comment from some other great thinker claimed that civilizations are inherently self-destructive. That person's claim was that many places in the universe are populated by living beings but they are all doomed to self-destruction before they figure out how to communicate with other civilizations in other parts of the universe. He cited things such as COVID, nuclear bombs, and climate disasters as indicators of the end for us being in progress. Then I think of those folks who claim there have been other earthly civilizations who did themselves in and we are simply the result of the next round of life's propagation.

Taking all the above into consideration we may not know exactly what is life but we do know about the one certainty relating to it. Genealogists play an important role in documenting how the progress developed and in that sense perform a valuable service for humanity. However, the general thinking is that civilization and the lifeforms therein are temporary phenomena. We don't have the genealogy of previous earthbound civilizations and have found no evidence of such on the planets we have visited, or passed by. There certainly are stories, but hard evidence has yet to be found. In all cases "life" goes on. Even if this universe collapses upon itself and disappears, it would be just a temporary condition. A new universe will spontaneously combust to keep the life cycle moving. That is a certainty.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Based on our own archaeology, there have been many advanced civilizations that have come and gone on this planet.
Some I think were more advanced that we are now, with all our fancy electronics. But possibly in a different way.

I imagine there is life on planets in the other solar systems out there, and possibly even some within our own solar system.
Heck, our whole past civilizations may have come from bacteria on an asteroid that crashed into earth.

There may still be descendants among us from long lost civilizations, but even they don't know their own ancestry.
Since they started doing DNA tests, they began to find commonalities in a few folks that indicate they are a descendant of Neanderthals. But then too, there is a whole lot in our DNA that we don't quite understand yet.

Think about this for a second if you will.
We rely on technology developed by others for nearly everything we do. And for nearly everything we own.
Most folks these days can't even change a tire on a car, much less get it running again if it quits.
And now that they added all the electronics to them, only a few folks can fix them, and the majority are just parts replacers.

Now let's add a spin to it!
All the fossil fuels have run out. Something happens like an EMF from the sun that wipes out all electronics.
This would also cause our electric grid and the plants that make electric to fail.
Water drops so hydroelectric disappears also.
With no electronics to control the nuclear plants, they have melt downs, and with no water the spent rods become exposed to air. This would start the doomsday process moving.

NO foods are anything else will be going to stores anymore, and suddenly you are left to fend for yourself with only what manual tools you still happen to own. And what you do own is going to wear out very quickly. What little food you had is going to run out, and what you try to grow in your garden gets stolen before you get to pick it for yourself.
Crime will rise exponentially as starving people try to survive by stealing from others.

New small communities of like minded individuals will spring up, and some of them will become dominant.
Creating a safer living environment in a world that has gone mad. These would be like a commune at first, until a few rise up above all the rest and become like leaders, and then like kings.
After some time, they learn how to work with metals again, and grow into a new iron age maybe.
Develop armies to take over more land for their own needs.
In other words, History Repeats Itself.
And as generations pass away, and new generations take over, eventually no one will remember the late great United States.
Some archaeologist a thousand or so years later will discover a trove of items left over from an ancient generation, US, and wonder what we did with those metal boxes that have little black things in them, our computers.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your end of civilization scenario was made into a movie about the planet of the apes. LOL Today we are on the edge of doomsday. It will take just one mistake and nuclear weapons will be flying until the supply is exhausted. It will be a Nuclear Winter after that, and it is likely to last thousands of years. It's hard to image any human could survive such an ordeal, but there are in fact humans living in Chernobyl as I write this. It's only a few and who knows what kind of offspring they could generate for life to keep on moving forward. The point is that humans would likely make it though a doomsday event, but only a few. Very few. Mutually Assured Distruction is what keeps the likes of Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin at bay. He certainly is a mad man as are some of the other despots who own nukes, or soon will. However, one day good ol' Vlad will be cornered with no way out. As I see it, it's an inevitable event. One of two things will happen. He will launch a doomsday attack because he has nothing to lose, or his own people will murder him. I hope it's the latter of the two options, but chances for that are only 50%.

That's why we will never find aliens or other forms of life. We will do ourselves in first.

I had an interesting experience today which you might want to know about. I own two domain names, one is this site and the other is a pet project of mine with a website of its own. The people who host this website offered domain registration services when I first created this place. I took them up on it and went one step farther to register anonymously rather than using my own name and contact information. That registrar, as it turns out, was a separate company but their services were integrated into the menu of our hosting service so that I had no idea I was dealing with two companies at first.

When we moved down here from Chicago I had to change my profile with the domain registrar. That profile, however, was for my account with them and not part of the official documentation attached to the domain name registration. That has a profile of it's own. At the time I had no problem updating the account profile, but the domain name registration is protected and locked. That means I have to prove my identity in order to make changes to that profile. Well, the e-mail address associated with the domain registration is the one I had with Earthlink, and it was shut down seven years ago. I called the registrar to tell them about it back then because they would be sending security codes to the e-mail address of record, which was defunct. Thus I could not update my registration. The tech support people at the time told me it was fixed and they changed it all to be correct. Well, they did not.

This year I decided not to renew that pet project. I will be hosting it under the Brainformation Forums domain instead. That will simply be a subdirectory and have no effect on what you and I are doing here. Well, they automatically renewed the registration for the pet project because I had no way to tell them to stop. Thus, today I called them again. Their tech support is in India (no surprise there) and the tech had an accent I did not fully comprehend. I had to ask him to repeat things several times. He said it would not be a problem to cancel the renewal but due to the fact that the verification e-mail was incorrect I had to go through their security process to recover the account. That was a major PITA, but I do understand why they had to do it. It will take 72 hours for them to verify my proof of identity and then, and only then, will they be able to shut down that domain.

I also have Brainformation.com registered with them and told the tech guy I want to transfer the registration to a different company. The folks who host this site changed things last year right after I renewed the lease on Brainformation's domain name. They no longer deal with that other company but will act as registrars if I jump through the hoops to transfer the registration. Well, guess what. I can't do that until the security people are satisfied I am who I claim to be. Both Brainformation and the pet project have the wrong registration information. So, if I am lucky, after 72 hours I will get a confirmation that I am who I say I am. Then they will be able to unlock this domain registration and provide me with a code that I can give to the new registrar. Brainformation renewal is not due until next year so that I could leave things the way they are until then, but I chose not to.

Why do you want to know all this? Well, if this guy in India had as much trouble with me as I did with him, the gods only know what will happen to the registration of Brainformation domain name. The worst case scenario would be that it is canceled and I would have to reapply with the new people, i.e., the current hosting service. That could take some time to happen and it is possible this site will go silent until it is all sorted out. If that' does happen we can communicate via G-mail for personal messages. There is also the Twitter account and the Facebook group. Thus, if you come here some day and your browser doesn't recognize the URL anymore, you might know why. In any event I will be in touch if there is a disaster. If things go smoothly, then you won't notice any difference at all.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I saw Planet of the Apes, loved that movie!

It is said UFO's have moved in front of the sun to block some of the stuff that came off of it so it wouldn't hit planet earth.
Don't know if that is true or not. Lot's of weird stuff gets posted on Farcebook, hi hi.

I had something similar happen with my CHL.com domain. I got it through my host provider for cheap, like only a buck, hi hi.
The problem reared it's ugly head when I wanted to move it to a new host. They OWNED my domain name and would sell it to me for 135 bucks. I said no. It really didn't matter, because I had a free personal web pages at Comcast, and you can't use a domain name there, unless you get an expensive business account. Well, after many years, Comcast decided to turn off personal web pages, so had to scramble to get a real domain name and a new host provider. I went with !&! who later merged with Ionos, and I've been very happy with them.

That is the benefit of owning my OWN domain name, and it is only like 13 bucks a year to keep it active.
I could not get CHL.com, so spelled it out the long way ClassicHausLimited.com so I can move to any Host I want.
I get no added services from my Host Provider, even though they offer a ton of them, all at a price of course.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The people hosting this website have been doing so since its inception. This is our 19th year, which is hard to believe but I have the original website published to prove it. LOL The cost of hosting that original site was about twice what today's rates are. I'm paying just under $9/mo and have been doing that for a dozen years or so. Things could change at any moment, but this website is one thing in the world that hosting it has not gone up in price. Of course we are on the bottom tier server which you can sense when access to this site is denied. Those other people sharing this server max out the processor from time to time.

I knew from day #1 that I wanted to own the domain name personally. I was not sure I would stay with the original hosting service even back in the early days and owning my own domain name would allow for easy migration to somewhere else. I get a lot of perks for that $9 with few limitations. The number of databases is limited to five, I believe, and the number of subdomains is limited too. I'm not sure anymore how many I can have but I know it's not unlimited. Disk space is unlimited as is data transfer. We don't push the limits like we did 15 years ago, but apparently they don't throttle download speed or limit the disk space I can use. There is also a full function control panel which I love. I can use SQL there if I had to and do all kinds of data tracking. The best part is I can use my own FTP client and am not tied to any of the hosts software. As far as I can tell we are good on this server all the way up to our silver anniversary. You better stick around for that event because I really would feel awkward celebrating by myself. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Sounds like you have better deal than I have for only hosting my websites with no added frills. I pay 100 bucks a year.

I wanted my own domain names too, but didn't know how to do it when I first started, so I took the hosts doing it for me option that was the lowest in cost as well. Turned out, that was not such a good idea, hi hi.

A subdomain is technically just a page under your primary domain name, so they shouldn't charge extra for them.
But I know a couple of companies that abuse the use of sub-domains big time. Every product they sell is found under its own subdomain name. Crazy.

I do hope I am still around for your Silver Anniversary!
yogi

Post by yogi »

As far as the server for hosting this place is concerned, a subdomain is simply a different directory in the root. From a server management point of view it's a no-brainer operation. However, subdomains do not resolve to the server IP automatically. It requires somebody at the ISP, or at the DNS server site, to make entries in a lookup table that resembles a "hosts" file on a PC. It simply resolves a name to an IP address, but the entry has to be made manually the first time. It propagates throughout the network afterwards. So, when they set a limit to the number of subdomains, they are simply saying that limit is the max size of the table in the DNS server. Truth is the DNS server doesn't care how large that table is, but the technician making the updates does. I'm not sure why he does, but then that is one way to get me to buy into a higher level service where more subdomains are available.

My pet project is on the same sever as are all the subdomains I operate. From a directory point of view it simply is another random directory on the server. But the DNS table in that case is a domain onto itself so that they have to actually create a new table for a new domain. When you look up the domain you will see, however, that one of the URL names to get there has "brainformation" appended. That works because the site is on the same server and I'm guessing it is the same IP address as this website. The difference is all in the directory on the host server to which the URL points. Now, I can imagine that would take an experienced operator all of five minutes to set up on the DNS server. Why I am limited to only two domains has nothing to do with the way DNS works, but, like subdomains having a limit on them forces you to upgrade the service if you need more.

The current issue I am experiencing is with the company that is keeping track of who owns what domain names. I'm trying to switch that registrar to the same people who operate this site's hosting service and will be killing off ownership of that other domain name. My intention is to change the website to a subdomain instead of a root domain. That way I will not have to pay to renew the domain name every two years. Unfortunately, because of the way the DNS servers work, the URL to that pet project will change to one where "brainformation" is the base name and something else will be the subdirectory. They will have to go into the DNS server to change things, but none of the changes should affect brainformation.com. The only changes will be to that other site. I'll probably publish something on FarceBook when it all happens. Most of the people there are familiar with that pet project.