Excess Deaths

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Excess Deaths

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm, I really don't think it works that way at my Host Provider. I've added a couple of subdomains and they worked right away. But then those subdomains are not fed to DNS servers I don't think. Then again, I could be totally wrong about that too.
I still have my main domain name in front of the subdomain names, so I figure the DNS only knows about the main domain name.
And the subdomains are just internal links on the Host Provider to my separate subdomains.

The way I figure it, the DNS only looks for the last domain name in my link.
https://stonebrokemanor.classichauslimited.com/
as an example. So I assume it ignores everything prior to the classichauslimited domain name.

According to my original 1&1 Unlimited Plus Contract
I can have two main domains, but Unlimited subdomains.
Webspace: Unlimited
Unlimited Traffic
My SQL Databases: Unlimited
FTP accounts: Unlimited
SSH accounts: Only 1
PHP, Python, Perl: All YES
Mailboxes: Unlimited
and there are many more on the list I didn't type above.

I don't know enough about how those things work, other than to see what my Contract says, and how fast a new subdomain can be seen, which is almost instant. This is why I say a subdomain is more like a Page, which you can also link to in the URL as well.
https://stonebrokemanor.classichauslimi ... thydr.html
Which is how I can get someone to a specific page on any one of my websites.

On your website, it looks like bfchat is a subdomain of brainformation and the php?= takes me to this page.
So the DNS server is only looking for brainformation I assume.
yogi

Post by yogi »

How does a DNS server do its thing?
When a DNS server receives a query from a client, it looks up the requested domain name in its database and returns the associated IP address. The DNS server contains a database of public IP addresses and their corresponding domain names, so it can quickly look up the requested domain name and return the IP address associated with it. The DNS server also keeps a cache of previously requested domain names and their associated IP addresses, which it can use to speed up the lookup process.

what exactly is a subdomain?
A subdomain is a part of a larger domain that can be used to organize or separate content from the main domain. For example, a website may have a subdomain for a blog, a store, or a support page. Subdomains are created by adding an additional part to the main domain name. For example, if the main domain is example.com, a subdomain may be blog.example.com or store.example.com. Subdomains can be used to create a more organized and navigable website, and they also make it easier to optimize content for search engine rankings.

How does a DNS server resolve subdomains?
When a DNS server is asked to resolve a subdomain, it will first check to see if the subdomain is hosted in its own DNS zone. If not, it will then check to see if the parent domain has a delegation set up for the subdomain. If a delegation is found, the DNS server will use the delegation to direct the request to the DNS server that is hosting the subdomain's zone. If no delegation is found, the DNS server will check the parent domain's zone for any records that may be related to the subdomain, such as CNAME or A records. If the subdomain has its own DNS zone, the DNS server will look for any records related to the subdomain in the subdomain's zone. Once the proper information is found, the DNS server will then return the requested information to the client.
My artificially intelligent friend explained it all to me. It had me until that last paragraph explaining the technical details. LOL I am confident that I can translate the meaning nonetheless. So, to summarize;
  • A DNS server has a database that converts domain names to IP addresses.
  • A subdomain is what the name implies. It's part of the main domain. Thus bfchat.brainformation.com is part of brainformation.com
  • In the case of brainformation.com all the subdomains have DNS entries listed under the main domain name entry. In other words, the subdomains are not on servers of their own.
In your case stonebrokemanor.classichauslimited.com the main domain name is classichouselimited.com It has an IP address, of course.
stonebrokemanor is the subdomain(?) and thus is prepended to the main domain and separated by a dot.
The dot is ignored by the DNS server. Thus your subdomain is in the database as stonebrokemanorclassichauslimited.com, which could be a separate IP address or it could be the same as the main domain. It depends on how the host configures the DNS server.

This "ignoring the dot" business is critical in detecting malicious websites. Many bad actors will use a well known domain but prepend something ahead of it to change the actual name that the DNS server reads.

For Example:
techsupport.amazon.com might look like it's an Amazon.com website but it's not. The DNS reads it as techsupportamazon.com which is a totally different domain name configured to return a totally different IP address than what belongs to Amazon.com.

Clear as mud, right? Maybe this will help ...

DomainAnalyisis.zip
Domain Information
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
I have a program that runs on Windows and will analyze DNS and other records for any given domain. I did the analysis for your domain and for Brainformation just to give you an idea how things are managed on the DNS server. You probably won't understand much of it, and if you do, you can explain it to me. LOL The most obfious ddifference in structure is that we have subdomains, many subdomains, and ClassicHausLimited has none. In reality we only have 2 subdomains, but they go by different names for different purposes.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There was another way of writing my URL with a subdomain, but my foggy head made me forget it just as soon as I started typing this. But I think it would be something like ClassicHausLimited.com/stonebrokemanor?
That being said, if I understand correctly, the preferred way is to put the subdomain.maindomain method.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The preferred naming convention depends on exactly what you want your audience to see and how they do it. I was slightly surprise to not find any subdomains on your website but all of that segmentation can be done in other ways. Everything to the left of the slash </> is part of the domain name that is used to come up with an associated IP address. Everything to the right of the slash </> points to directories and files within that domain. Thus the domain name is usually constructed so that it's easy to remember and/or type into the address box. Since those dots in the domain name mean nothing to the DNS servers they only help to visualize what the content is. The actual content is after the slash.

stonebrokemanor.classichauslimited.com/ suggests that a subdomain by the name of stonebrokmanor is part of the main domain known as classichauslimited,com.

ClassicHausLimited.com/stonebrokemanor tells me the domain name is ClassicHausLimited.com and within that domain is a server directory called stoenbrokemanor.

When you look at the file structure on the server, however, you might not see any difference between the two. The function of those similar directories depends on the configuration files of the hosting server.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm, every host I've used all worked the same way. You can make an URL point right to a word on a page many levels down from the main domain, and into the pages of the subdomain. Like I did getting to the History of Hydroponics.

It's really late for me tonight, already after 6 pm and this is all the further along I am with my stuff I do each day.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yes you can get very specific with the URL's and creative directory structure. In theory all hosting servers work the same way. It would be utter chaos if they did not.

I took note of your late posting, but it's not the first time. I just assumed you had other more pressing things to take care of instead of chatting here. It's not a problem. I am glad that you are able to post at all.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm way behind today too again. I'm having really hard mornings now. It takes about 2 hours before I can even make it up to my office, and like this morning, I was up at 7 am, but couldn't even leave the bedroom until around quarter after 8. Part of that was leaning over a waste can letting my nose drip, the rest was trying to use enough Albuterol so I didn't need to go to the hospital again and be stuck there for 12 hours or longer.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My wife has been experimenting with coffee again. She quit it altogether in favor of ginger tea and that cleared up her vertigo. One day she decided to have a cup and then pig out on chocolate cookies, and the vertigo came back but not as intensely as before. She has tried latte from Starbucks a time or two with no noticeable side effects. I guess some coffee is OK for her as long as no other caffeine source is added to it. It so happens that she has one of those wearable computers that has sensors for BP and a few other things. After a few weeks of wearing that device she got a report that her pulse rate was running high. Not real high, but still out of acceptable limits. A trip to the doctor confirmed it to be true but the doctor noted that she has a history of high pulse rate. So, the decision was to lower they thyroid medication dosage. Well, that is making her lethargic and giving all sorts of muscle pains. Monday she will be retested and go back to the normal dosage. When I had a high pulse rate a few years back my doctor decided I needed another blood pressure pill to take care of that. I'm guessing that will be the solution for my wife of many years too.

I'm glad the Allbuterol is able to keep you out of the ER. I'm certain you are glad too. Then again, if 10 hours of wasted time helps you breath better for a few weeks, it might be worth it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The caffeine in coffee is greatly enhanced due to the tannin. That caffeine tannin blend is like caffeine on steroids.
This is why coffee is so addicting, while soda is not.
Coffee is known as a Speed Drug too.

I've always been on Albuterol, but a much lighter version than what the hospital used when I was in there.

One thing that is hard for me to understand is how 3 mg of Albuterol in 3 ml of solution taken nebulized.
Is supposed to be the same strength and results as using two puffs 90 mcg from an inhaler.
Supposed to use the nebulizer 4 to 6 times a day. At 4 times a day, that would be 12,000 mcg of Albuterol.
Compared to only 360 mg of Albuterol from using the inhaler twice a day.
My brain cannot comprehend how 360 mcg is the same as 12,000 mcg!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I am certainly not a doctor but I know this much. My wife's vertigo became a problem about a year ago. She has been consuming coffee (tannin et al) for at least fifty years prior to that. I don't see a cause and effect relationship there.

Likewise, my lack of medical training isn't going to help with any advice or comments I might have about your medication.

Just to be clear i mg = 1000 mcg, so that the 12,000 mcg does is exactly the same as a 12 mg dose. Pretty obvious to both of us I would say.

If I understand correctly, you are being told 3,000 mcg of nebulized Albuterol is just as powerful as 90 mcg from an inhaler.
This COULD make sense. You told me the story of how inefficient those nebulizers are and how you modified them to virtually eliminate the built in losses. The doctors at the hospital are not taking your modification into account and figure all you are getting from the 3,000 mcg nebulized solution is the 90 mcg dose you get from the inhaler. I would also want to know if the inhaler dispensed Albuterol is diluted in 3 ml of saline as is the case with the nebulizer. You obviously would be getting a lot more of the active ingredient inhaling it straight as opposed to it being diluted.

Then again, you probably have thought of all this too and that is the reason why you are confused. You could ask the doctors about it next time you see them in person.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have asked the doctors, and they are who told me, when I cannot use the Nebulizer, to use the Inhaler instead, so I get my 4 to 6 doses of Albuterol per day.
When I was in the hospital, they used a nebulizer mouthpiece that was Zero Waste. Which means I would still get my .5 mg of nebulized at each session, or every 2 to 3 hours.
I was worried I might overdose using my own waste free nebulizing system. So once I learned it was safe to get my entire dose at each sitting, and why they use the Waste Free nebulizer mouthpiece in the hospital. I went back to doing a full done of my medication, not just half of it like I've been doing.
.5 Albuterol is 500 mcg, so 6 doses a day is where I come up with 3000 mcg.
But the inhalers are only scripted for 2 doses per day, at 2 puffs each time, which comes to 360 mcg of Albuterol.

All that being said, my New Script for Albuterol is 3 mg with .5 mg Ipratropium, with enough sodium chloride to bring the vial up to 3 ml.
So, 3 mg = 3000 mcg 4 to 6 times per day, or 18,000 mcg, if I could use it that often, which I don't. Thus the reason for the inhalers while I'm in my office. The doc at the hospital is who gave me the new script and a waste free nebulizer mouthpiece. So he knows I'm getting the full dosage now for sure. Even so, I went back to using my home brew mouthpiece, simply because it is easier and faster than the waste free mouthpiece, of which I now have two of those.
I think Big Pharma is behind those cheap ones that waste most of the medicine, hi hi.

Actually, I think nurses know a bit more about scripts than the doctors do, hi hi.
Doctors sure don't know how to hook up all those machines, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When I was taking mom to her pulmonologist she had problems with her sinuses, among other things. There was some OTC drug the doctor had her take, but that didn't do it. Thus at one of the visits he pulled out a Physicians Desk Reference book and rattled off a list of possible drugs mom could take. In other words, he knew in general what mom needed, but was totally unfamiliar with all the possible medications. There were too many. Likewise with side effects. They don't know all the side effects for all the drugs. There just is too much to know, but they DO HAVE that Desk Reference and know how to use it. Nurses often seem to know more than the doctors for whom they work. I think that is due to the fact nurses get into the practical side of healthcare while the doctors deal more with the theoretical. I'd say you need both for a complete program of treatment, but the nurses almost always are easier to talk to and understand than are the doctors. My wife in fact requests appointments with the nurse practitioner for that very reason.

I suppose when an illness reaches the drastic stage you either give up or learn a lot on your own about how to treat it. As I noted above the doctor only goes by the theory. You certainly have a comprehensive understanding of what you are taking and how it is administered. No doubt you can take the scripts and adjust the dosages to suit your needs effectively because you know what is going on and why. Doctors can't tell you to experiment without assuming the liability for what might happen if you mess things up. However, I am pretty sure they will be glad to tell you want is safe and a good practice. You can take it from there, no doubt.

And, just as a side note, I had to deal directly with Microsoft this week. Their latest preview release broke the brightness control in my Windows 11 system. After installation of the update the monitor was max brightness and could not be turned down no matter what I did. I went to the feedback hub and pointed out the problem. Got one other fellow who claimed the same issue. After a few days I got a note from a Microsoft engineer saying they found the problem and are in the process of fixing it, thank you very much. I know it's a simple incident that should be expected when doing beta testing, however, it is very pleasing to know a company like Microsoft, which gets a lot of negative publicity, responded to me personally. For the longest time I didn't think anybody actually read the feedback, but this is not the first time they fixed something as a result of my personal input. Amazing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The Citrizine will stop my nose from dripping about a half hour after I take it, but it makes your mouth dry also. And then it only lasts for about 2 to 3 hours is all, and makes your mouth dry as cotton too.
I still take one every morning though, that's all you can have per day is just one.
If I really need something else, I will take a Dipenhydramine (Benedryl), but I try not to except at bedtime if needed.

The doc told me, although you can overdose on Albuterol, as long as I'm not exceeding 6 treatments a day nebulized, I'll be OK, but if I'm filling in with an inhaler of Albuterol, I should count that is two doses.
And this is why I'm so confused about how much I'm actually getting.
If I can have 3 mg nebulized 4 to 6 times a day, how on earth can 90 micrograms twice, more than twice a day be bad?

You are probably one of their registered beta testers, so they should read you discoveries about things they messed up, hi hi.
I'm glad to hear they not only listened to you, but also responded!
yogi

Post by yogi »

My conjecture regarding the inhaler vs the nebulizer is that the dosage is only a reference measure. The amount of Albuerol going down your gullet cannot be determined exactly ahead of time. However, it can be determined intrinsically by noting the effects. I must agree with you that it is complicated and confusing, which means it's a good question to put to my Artificially Intelligent friend:
you.com wrote:Is it better to take Albuterol via inhaler or via nebulizer

Based on the search results, there is no clear answer as to whether it is better to take Albuterol via inhaler or via nebulizer. Both methods seem to have their advantages and disadvantages, and the choice may depend on individual circumstances and preferences.

Some of the advantages of using an inhaler with a spacer include convenience, portability, and dosage accuracy. Inhalers with spacers have been shown to be just as clinically beneficial as nebulizers in the treatment of mild acute asthma in children. However, nebulizers may be more effective at delivering medication to the lungs, and may be preferred for those with more severe asthma symptoms.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to use an inhaler or a nebulizer should be made in consultation with a doctor, who can provide personalized advice based on the individual's medical history and specific circumstances.
Hmmm ... not very conclusive but the fact that the inhaler is known to be more accurate than the nebulizer suggests my conjecture is on the right path. So ... I then got more to the point:
you.com wrote:Does a nebulizer provide the same dosage as an inhaler

The dosage delivered by a nebulizer versus an inhaler may differ due to a variety of factors, such as the medication itself, the device used, and the methodology of administration. However, studies have generally shown that using an inhaler with a spacer can be just as effective as a nebulizer in delivering adequate doses of medication. A 2013 Cochrane review of studies comparing metered-dose inhalers (MDI) plus spacer versus nebulizers in adult and pediatric patients found overall that there was no significant difference in clinical outcomes between the two methods [1]. However, it is important to follow the instructions provided with the specific medication and device being used in order to ensure proper dosage delivery. It is also important to consult with a healthcare provider when making decisions about medication administration for asthma or other respiratory conditions.
[1.] What is the dosing conversion between albuterol nebulizing solution ...
https://inpharmd.com/summarize-any-evid ... uterol-mdi
The link is tremendously interesting but I cant comprehend most of it. However, the salient comment I found in that source reference is in a table therein:

Cochrane Review wrote:Dose conversion used for SVN versus MDI-VHC:
SVN Dose --- Equivalent MDI-VHC

2.5 mg --- 4 puffs
5 mg --- 8 puffs

Dose conversion was determined based on expert opinion from pulmonologist, respiratory therapist, and pharmacists at the institution.
So ... there you have it. I don't know if your doctors read that research report, but apparently they are aware of it. There is no exact conversion, but they seem to have a fair correlation defined for research purposes.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, I am just one of the several million people who volunteered to use their Insider Program distribution of not fully developed Windows OS. You have seen many tech support Bulletin Boards as well as I have, and the same kind of stupid comments are sent to Microsoft as you would see on those other forums. I've used several of those tech support forums and got a lot of advice, mostly contradictory or "this is what works for ME." kind of stuff. Getting an actual developer to respond to an input is nothing less than exhilarating, especially from Microsoft.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

FWIW: Those quotes you cited have to do with using an inhaler WITH A SPACER.
The Spacer is HUGE, to big to carry around in your pocket, which is how most inhalers are used, spur of the moment.
The reason for a Spacer is most folks don't hold the inhaler right, so the shot either hits the roof of their mouth or their tongue, so not much makes it down into the lungs. But if you hold it properly, and be inhaling when you hit the button, it all goes down the lungs as it should.

But here is the catch. Medicare does not pay for Inhalers for COPD patients, or if they do it is not much.
But medications used in a Nebulizer are covered under Part B Durable Equipment.
This is the main reason I opted for a Nebulizer over paying for Inhalers.

Most scripts for Inhalers are to take two puffs 1 minute apart, no more than twice per day.
While a Nebulizer, you can use it 4 to 6 times a day.

Now if the Inhaler only gives you 90 micrograms per puff, x two puffs, that only 180 micrograms of the medication.
But a Nebulizer gives you 3,000 micrograms per usage, so you can get up to 18,000 micrograms of the medication per day.
So, that being the case, how is it you can overdose using an Inhaler more than twice a day?
Curious minds want to know, hi hi.

I guess they have to weed through millions of posts to find those which are truly relevant to an actual bug, and reported in such a way they can track it down and study it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The Cochrane Review I quoted above is basically a lab experiment and not necessarily correlating with the real world. Those kind of studies are generally very precise when done properly so that I thought it was interesting to see the equivalence between puffs and mg doses. The inhaler with or without the spacer seems, to me at least. much more efficient and thus delivers more of the active ingredient to the target than does the nebulizer. I'm still not certain about the dilution, if any, in the inhaler which if absent adds to it's potency. Obviously I have little first hand knowledge about any of this stuff. I'm just passing on what I think is interesting. It's probably something you already know and are taking into consideration. You got to be doing something right given that you are still here to talk about it. :grin:

Being old and losing my ability to hear high frequencies, I am experiencing more and more difficulties when talking on the phone. The landline seems like more of a problem than the clever phone, but then I use the speaker function on the mobile device. In any case, I decided I want to test out one of those phones made just for guys like me. It has an amplifier that allows me to jack up the earpiece volume 40 db and it has a screen for captioning. The captioning is not built into the phone but instead is a service provided by some company that can be reached over the Internet. So, the phone needs to be connected to the Internet in order for the captions to work. The service is not free in some cases. But, there apparently is some government funded program that allows me to use their captioning service if I go to the trouble of registering with them. I'll see how easy that is in the next day or two. There are two options for captions. One it to let the phone do its thing automatically where the robot on the other end deciphers the voices and writes the script displayed on the screen. The second option is the same but adds a living person to monitor it all and make corrections where appropriate. That would be needed if you have crummy Internet cable I suppose. I will be trying this all out this coming week.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The inhaler works FAST, but then it should. The Nebulizer takes 10 to 15 minutes to get your dosage in.
But the thing is, you are getting much more medicine from the Nebulizer, and that is what has me puzzled.

I've never been able to hear the frequency that a little girl screams at, which I took as a blessing, hi hi.
But other than that range of frequencies, I could hear good. Still can, sorta.
Along with my old age, I'm finding side noises make it almost impossible to hear what someone is saying.
I often don't understand words and have to have them repeat the words. I can hear them, just not understand them.
Hard to make sense of what I'm saying there. One on one I can hear fine, unless there are other noises around me.
Sorta like a Shrink uses these little fans all around the waiting room, because they cause voices to be mumbled up.
yogi

Post by yogi »

One last observation on the nebulizer/inhaler puzzle. You know how soda is made, right? Well think of using the inhaler as drinking the syrup undiluted. The nebulizer would be equal to the syrup in the soda water. The measured dose apparently is for the total, i.e., the syrup + the soda in the nebulizer, but the inhaler only measures the syrup.

It's typical for people our age to have hearing problems, and there are some common symptoms. One is high frequencies are lost first. It could be slight or it could be total depending on how many of those hairs in your ear are dead. Those hairs are what pick up the high frequencies. Once you get to that stage phonetics comes into play. Consonants are pretty much high frequency and vowels dominate the low end. Thus when a person speaks and you can hear them plainly but not understand, it's due to the loss of those consonant sounds. Us hearing impaired folks can generally do well one on one in a quiet environment. Background noise just adds vowels to the conversation and messes up everything we hear as a consequence. There are different kinds of background noise too. The television is not the same as the automobile and neither of those is like a room full of people talking. Thus some of the most sophisticated hearing aides have selectable noise cancellation capability.

I understand your description perfectly because it fits my exact experiences. Although we have listened to music on YouTube and come back with different hearing reports. LOL

The CapTel is a marvelous phone. If I didn't already have a clever phone I might be impressed with it more. However, it is perfect for landline users and has a lot of features my clever phone (the actual phone part of it) also has. There is not only a 40 db volume control but also a audio filter that can be matched to your personal audiogram if you have one. Thus the frequency response of the phone can be set as accurately, or more so, as a hearing aid. I have yet to make any calls to see how this all works, but setting it up was a revelation. I may only use this CapTel a few times during the year, but I can tell already I'm going to like it ... once I get it customized that is.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

But, whether you drink 1 ounce of syrup, or put that 1 oz of syrup into 12 ounces of carbonated water, you are still getting 1 oz of syrup in your personage.

I think I mentioned once, I tried a pair of those frequency altering hearing aids. They take the frequency range you can hear and move it down to within your hearing range. Makes a young girl talking sound like a centenarian. But the worst part was, it really screwed up listening to music. What it did do was help me hear those piazo crystals they use in things these days to make the beep. But at the same time, it made the beep sound like a drumstick doing a rim-shot, hi hi.
They also went through 4 batteries per week, two super tiny batteries were in each ear piece.
At the time I tried them, a card of 12 batteries was like 7 bucks, now they are more like 28 bucks.
What makes my hearing really messed up is the tinnitus, nothing can overcome that.

My AT&T phone has a lot of features I like on it also. It has a volume control, and an Audio Assist, speaker-phone, etc.
It too has a menu where you can set the audio assist frequency up or down. I have it down 500 kc I think, been a while since I changed any of the settings in the phone. After I got it, I just looked at what settings I did in the old one and set the new one to match what I already had.
Like most phones these days, it has a call log, a directory, with up and down buttons, a cancel, pause, redial, delete, speed dial, mute, and one I don't remember what it is for, called Flash. You can also switch between tone and pulse if need be.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I remember Flash on some old phones I used. The Flash button would be the equivalent of pressing the cradle switch once for about half a second. That did something useful, but I'll be darned if I can recall what. I believe it had to do with switching between lines if you had a two-line phone system. Flash once and you go to the other line. Flash again and you go back to the original. This was useful for the call-waiting feature. Later models of the phone got around to creating the ability to hold 3-way conversations. I don't know about Flash, but this fancy CapTel phone has all the things you mentioned plus a few more that apply to the monitor screen settings, such as color and font size.

Most of the people I knew who had hearing aides gave them up after a while. It was pretty much as you describe where they could hear things, but the fidelity was crap. There was also feedback that caused the aide to whistle if you had the volume set too high. That particular feature drove my mother batty. She never did master how to set the loudness properly. Technology has advanced and they now have better fidelity and longer lasting batteries in hearing aides. A new type, called a Lens, actually touch the eardrum to improve the frequency response. If I ever go that route it will be with this type of hearing aide. The greatest complaint I've heard has to do with earwax build up. Apparently cleaning it out of the hearing aide requires sending it to the manufacturer periodically, and the cost is not cheap. Until they figure out how to deal with the wax in your ear, the quality of the sound and the durability of the battery will matter not.

I got some interesting news from Microsoft yesterday. They must think my inputs to them are for the birds because they promoted me to a new development channel for the beta testing. They have about four different levels and the one called "beta" is actually second from the bottom. I was at the top development channel were the type of testing done concentrated on new features that may or may not actually get implemented. There was a blog every time a new release came down the "dev" channel and that described what changes they made from the previous week's release. They now invented a new channel they call ... Canary. This is not a daily release, but something close to it. There are new experimental features in these versions and none of them are being designed for any existing product. The documentation blog will only be released when something new and dazzling is added. Otherwise us Canary guys are pretty much on our own to find things that aren't Kosher. Us Canary people get the most unstable and most untested releases Microsoft makes available to the public. I have a suspicion that I was put into this as a result of the feedback I've sent them plus a few surveys I filled out in the past. They figure I'm a high tech kind of guy who might be good at finding bugs. That is true, of course, but I also don't need for my computer to crash every other day of the week. That has not happened yet, but they paint a picture of this development channel that allows for it. I can downgrade, or get out of the program entirely. Doing that would require doing a fresh install and making a choice during that process. This new Canary program started yesterday and I have yet to get a new release in that category. I have a feeling you will read about any big time bugs I happen to encounter.