Excess Deaths

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Excess Deaths

Post by Kellemora »

I have a new bigger problem here today.
I did an update, upgrade, on my Debian machine.
Now the second drive I use to hold all of my data will not mount.
If I try it manually it says Mounting Options 'errors=remount-ro' is not allowed.
I do have everything backed up of course, however, I only run a backup of that drive every Sunday, so I have a week of changes to things that are not yet backed up to the external drive.

I've done some studying on-line about this problem, but none of the answers fit the problem I have, and they are from years ago anyhow.
yogi

Post by yogi »

YIkes! That mounting problem sounds ominous, but not fatal. I suspect the data on that unmounted drive is fine but the OS trying to mount it has a problem. This is one of those rare occasions where rolling back to the previous kernel might actually fix the problem. If it does fix it that might not be a good sign either. What is wrong with the update then becomes the question.
You might be able to use gparted to checkout the status. It will show you if that drive is mounted already and if the system is trying to do it again. If it is indeed mounted then you can manually unmount and remount using gparted. Once the drive is mounted you can do your backups and try a fresh install of the Debian system. You can also try to mount and unmount using the CLI and regular system commands. You probably know how to do that already, but if you don't there are a ton of tutorials online to help.
And, there could be a problem with the UUID of the hard drive. You can find out what that UUID is in the information tab of gparted and then check the /etc/fstab file in Debian to see if the UUID in there is the same. If it is not the same, simply edit the fstab file to make the two UUID's match. Obviously that all has to be done as root, and making a backup first of the fstab file would not be a bad idea.

Of course I'm making these suggestions blindly. It could be something entirely different, but at least you have something to think about now.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I did several types of disk checks, the disk is OK, and so is the partition itself.
I can mount the ntfs partition, but none of the ext4 partitions on that drive.

Did a little searching on the Internet and found several folks who have had the same problem, some on the same day, yesterday, and some going all the way back to 2010.

I'm going to use gparted to delete a few old OSs on the drive, then merge the unallocated drives, so I have one larger than the one that is hung up, and do a copy from one partition to another.
I have had to do this to copy a partition from a drive to another drive on the same computer, so it should work.

I just hope I didn't damage the partition by running repair on it a couple of times.

But before I try moving that partition, I'm going to create a new ext4 partition to see if that fixes the problem.
If not, I may have to move the partition from sdb to sda to save it intact.
They changed something in the upgrades, I am running Debian 10 Buster. There is a new stable one, but it is not marked LTS.
I forget the name of it off-hand. Something like Butterfly, but not Butterfly, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The latest Debian is version 11 and code named Bullseye.

The first thing I would want to do is copy that entire non-mountable partition to an external hard drive. I don't recall with certainty at the moment, but I believe gparted gives you the option to copy partitions. If not, then a manual copy might be in order. The ultimate solution might be to change disks, but you don't want to risk losing your date when you do that kind of thing. Make a backup first on an external drive if you have not done so already.

I'd not be surprised to learn that Debian changed it's support for ext4 formats. They do crazy things like that just because they can. I recently installed a couple Debian based OS's onto USB memory and have not experience any problems with the file system. The old problems still exist and no new ones have been noted. Then, too, Linux On A Stick isn't the same as Linux On a HDD.

My guess is that you are still using MBR formatted disks instead of the current GPT standard. It is possible that the partition table is corrupt and you could lose all your data if you try to "repair" it. It may be a good idea to format a spare disk drive as GPT and then try to copy your operating system over to that drive. You don't want to change the format on the old disk because you will lose all your data doing so. If the new drive works then create another partition on the GPT formatted drive for your data. My experience with MBR vs GPT suggests that the latter is more stable and reliable than the former. People who use UEFI for booting require a GPT formatted disk, but it is not mandatory if you don't boot that way. I'm just suggesting that you change the disk format to see if that solves your mounting problem.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Using Gparted I copied the partition to a new spot on the disk, It copied perfectly, I know because I checked it carefully, which took hours. However, I still could not open it.

Then I found something interesting. I could Mount all the ntfs drives and partitions with no difficulty.
But no ext4 partitions, nor the older ext3 partitions.

Since I did not see anything on web searches, other than a few folks having problems on various systems, and tons of ideas on how to fix it. I decided not to try any of those things and wait and see, sometimes that is the best thing to do before you end up borking your system by changing things.

Logged into the Debian site which I've not done in a few years, and lo and behold, they are well aware of the new problem with the upgrade and said they would have it fixed and in the repositories by 6 am so an upgrade will repair the damage they did.

I got to my office around 9:30 am and sure enough, running an upgrade fixed the problem. Now I have two main database files and both mount A-OK, I just hope my renaming them the original to Old Data Storage, and the New one to Data Storage, doesn't mess up my RSync commands, which I'm pretty sure just uses the Label name. I'll find out tonight.

If you change the disk format, I assume it will erase everything? Don't want to do that, hi hi.

In order to Copy not the partition, but the files on that partition to another HD, you have to be able to mount it.
I do have a week old Copy on an ntfs external drive. I do that so it can be read from a Windoze machine.

In my web searches, I found that Windoze can now mount EXT4 file systems. Interesting!
yogi

Post by yogi »

If you change the disk format, I assume it will erase everything? Don't want to do that, hi hi.
That can happen and it is the reason why I told you to format a separate external drive first and before you copy over the partition/data. It is perfectly safe to copy a partition from an MBR format disk onto a GPT formatted disk. A new GPT partition table is created in the process. There are Linux tools that will convert existing MBR to GPT format without losing data, such as gdisk. I have used it once way back when I was learning about EFI, and it does take some learning of the tool to make things work. A manual copy is easier in spite of it taking a bit longer.

You would think that something like not being able to mount ext formatted drives would have been detected before Debian released any updates. I would wonder what kind of quality control that have, but I already know from my previous experiences with Debian. That kind of oversight occurs too often and not only in the land of Linux. Windows developers do the same thing, but then I actually expect it in my WIndows OS because it is technically a beta version of the software. The Debian update is not supposed to be beta. At any rate, I'm very glad that you did not have more trouble than you did. Like yourself I am very hesitant to look at the source when a problem with an OS arises. There are times, not often however, when developers actually are aware of a problem but only discovered it after the upgrade was released. There is no taking back a mistake that was released to the wild, and I am glad Debian was quick to mend its ways.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My external drives have whatever came on them when I bought them. Usually ntfs so that's what I use, hi hi.

As long as I've used Debian, it seems if an upgrade causes a problem, they normally have it fixed by the next day. And many I don't know about, because I don't update or upgrade right away. It just so happens, I upgraded the same day they provided the upgrade. Had I waited a day or two, I would have never known they had a bug they squashed, hi hi.

This is going to sound odd, but as the swelling is going down in my eyes, I'm becoming more farsighted not distance but up close. I don't have to lean over as far to read the type on the screen. In one way that is good. But now if I put the readers on, everything is much clearer than yesterday.

That mistake had to be embarrassing to the Linux crew. Changing an OS so it can only read Windows partitions and not LInux partitions, hi hi
yogi

Post by yogi »

Speaking of Linux playing nice with Windows ...

We all know Microsoft is in the process of developing Windows 12, don't we? Word on the street is that it will be ready for general consumption at the end of 2024, and it's going to be a major overhaul of the operating system. Given that Micorsoft has been in consultation with Linus Torvalds and the admitted concession that the Windows kernel is VERY old, the natural conclusion coming out of the Linux campgrounds is that Windows will be converting to a Linux kernel going forward. That might be a logical deduction, but it's just a lot of ego spewing over from the lovers of Free and Open Source Software.

Windows has had a Linux kernel that could be enabled via its Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) ever since Windows 10 hit the open market. The gloating team in Linux Land laughed out loud pointing fingers toward Redmond and chiding that Microsoft finally conceded that Linux is better. They totally ignored the change in policy that Microsoft announced publicly wherein they are now supporting open source programming. In an effort to show some genuine support the engineers at Microsoft included the ability to run Linux from the WSL built into Windows. I tested it out when it was first announced and discovered it was not what I expected. WSL was an emulator much the same as Wine but focused on a different audience. WSL ran the Ubuntu operating system but without a GUI. It was intended to be a cross platform development tool that only a few people would find valuable.

That is how it all started. Microsoft now offers WSL version 2, which is not an emulator but is in fact a genuine kernel of Linux vintage. While only a handful of Linux distributions can be had in the Windows Store, the WSL2 kernel can run just about any version of Linux. There is a lengthy article from Microsoft explaining how to do it all if you have an interest in running Linux from inside Windows. Windows has a terminal that runs its own Power Shell, and it can be tabbed to run WSL2 simultaneously. This is not a virtual machine nor an emulator. Linux is run from a live kernel and is super fast compared to the old WSL1 emulator. So ... it is now possible for me to run Debian, for example, inside Windows 10/11 and do whatever it is Debian can do. I can run the program gparted, for example, via Debian while also running a live Windows 10 session. I now can use rsync to backup Windows in real time. None of that could be done previously. Then again, who would want to? LOL

To be perfectly honest I've not run WSL since that initial investigation. But now that WSL2 can run Linux live, not a virtual machine, the whole ballgame changes. I've mentioned many times that I am willing to abandon Windows altogether if I could find a suitable Linux substitute. Apparently I no longer need a substitute. I can run them both side by side and enjoy the benefits of them all simultaneously.

You could, and probably will, say this new and improved WSL2 is a concession to Linux. It is in fact a gift to developers who always dreamed of being able to do such things in real time. The people stuck in the Linux mud will not have a need to migrate to a Windows platform that can run Linux, but us Windows users now have it all. Well, we don't have iOS, but nobody needs that. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You know what they say, if you can't beat em, join em, hi hi.

The only thing I hear about a new Windows in the making is that it will NOT have a Registry like all former Windows had.
And someone else said they are also changing the way the API (whatever that is) works, so that the newer programs written for Windows can be ported easier to Linux machines, but they would still be Proprietary and cost money. Not open source for sure.

But then at the same time, they are saying you won't be downloading the programs into your computer, you will have to use them on-line and pay a fee to use them. But what work you do would be saved to your own computer.

There also may be another OS coming soon than is neither Linux nor Windows, which will use their own Kernel and OS.
Where they were having problems was with Drivers for Hardware. They didn't want the Drivers to be a part of the Kernel.
And the Hardware manufacturers don't seem interested in providing how their machines or cards work.
So they may end up like Apple and make all their own hardware at ridiculously high prices!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Microsoft certainly came to the mobile device game late in the day. I think that had a lot to do with the change in management as Bill Gates left the company. The business model and core competency the new management had in mind didn't match what Gates already had it place. Thus it took Microsoft several years to reorient the company and establish themselves as serious contenders in the mobile market. Well, that didn't happen as planned so the emphasis was redirected to cloud computing where Microsoft is indeed a dominant force.

As technology advances by quantum leaps, so must the operating systems that support it. Microsoft has a full line of servers, but as you like to point out that market is relegated to Linux. Gaming is a different story. All the popular commercial games are Windows based. Indies tend to go with Linux. Games, as it happens, are a very big item on mobile devices, smartphones in particular. It's no longer a battle to establish a dominant operating system, but instead the focus is on mobile oriented games.

The company store that sells the game gets about a 30% cut of the purchase price so that it is in the best interest of Apple, Google, and Microsoft to load up their stores with games for the mobile crowd. That is where Microsoft shines. It can run any Android, well most Android, apps found in their store. Part of that ability is due to the fact Microsoft has enabled it's developers with open source tools that are cross platform in nature. Linux developers have the tools, but they are not integrated as is what Microsoft is doing these days. I think it was a good move for Microsoft to embrace open source programming as an addition to their proprietary offerings.

Each user of the Microsoft API pays for that privilege which not only adds to the bottom line but also expands the scope of Microsoft's reach in the mobile app world. It is an added expense for the non-Microsoft crowd, but then it is their choice to use that API. Nobody is forcing them other than the profit motive behind cross platformed software. Linux doesn't offer an API because it's supposed to be free and open sourced software. That's a lovely strategy. Hopefully they can pay the rent giving away software as they do.

You have some interesting comments about the new Windows being developed. I've not heard any of that from Microsoft themselves.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When Debi had an Android Phone, she paid for several games for that phone.
Then when she got the iPhone, not a single one of those games worked on it.
And none of her Big Fish games work on either, hi hi.

I know there are a whole lot of people out there with a lot of money to burn.
I base that on the many things I see being sold out there these days.
Things I could never afford for myself.
And what is even sadder, I see kids who's parents buy them things I know I could never afford either.

Some of our favorite places to eat, because they were fairly cheap for what you got, we can no longer afford to go there.
They have gone from 3.99 meals up to 9.99 meals during Covid, and now they jumped all the way up to 12.99 and you get less than you did at the 3.99 price.
Our Buffet Diner here has closed down. Nobody in this area could afford their prices, but they kept the one in GotsRocks neighborhood open.

Microsoft just might be on the mend and moving back up in the marketplace once again.

Most open source software is issued by large companies who make their money on the proprietary software they also make.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You point out one of the benefits to software development in the mobile market when you cite the incompatibilities with non-native machines. Angry Birds, for example, was a Google invention that was designed to work on Android. They made a killing with it which attracted the other guys to the game. There are now Angry Bird games for iOS and for Windows (perhaps Linux, but I don't know about that). It's the same game but none of them can be transported to a competitors operating system. This is nothing new. You never could run a .exe program on Linux but you can write an equivalent in Linux language. The beauty in that scheme is that there are tools which allow you take the code from one OS and translate it to a different OS. The only problem would be with hardware limitations, but there are few of those beyond the CPU itself. Thus it's a smart business that can create software that will run on other platforms than it's own. The plan at Microsoft is in fact to come up with a single operating system that is processor independent. That would be a huge benefit for developers who want their creations on as many mobile devices as is possible. I only read that Microsoft is looking into it, but I've not heard about any progress they may or may not have made.

I think of you every time I buy a lotto ticket. Really, I do. If I ever win big, and it would have to be REALLY BIG, I would likely become interested in philanthropic projects. I don't know how I would reach out to you exactly, but I'm thinking there is the possibility of forming a trust fund that you could draw upon to buy your favorite meals at your favorite restaurants. You have roots in the sate of Missouri, and I can't think of a more suitable way to reconnect you than to use some of their lottery money to make your life a tiny bit more enjoyable. :mrgreen:

Then, too, i am fairly realistic. I'm never going to win that lottery. Sometimes it's hard to believe how good we have it in this country, but there is no reason for people like yourself to be in financial dire straits. The resources are there, but your elected officials have no concern about what you are going through. That just isn't right.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Actually, most games written for Windoze cannot be ported to Linux due to the way they are written to use API calls, and Kernel calls. That is what WINE and other emulators sometimes help with.

You know I'm basically house bound now. I couldn't go out to eat now for over a year or more. Not with my hacking and coughing, and my disgusting drippy nose. But that's OK, I get something good brought to me every once in awhile from a restaurant I used to frequent.

I'm getting a little help from my brother which helps cover my meds. And you know my wife is working to cover hers. But at her age, working is really taking a toll on her fast. On the bright side, she gets to get out and meet the customers who come into the store.
She did have it out with the manager the other day. She's been there now for five years, and although she did get tiny raises from time to time, her manager is who made the slip-up and disclosed how much they pay for a new cashier who never showed up to work. It was about 80 cents more per hour than my wife has got up to after 5 years. So she was miffed over that. And also, because they give out bonuses to teams, and her team has always done lousy, although she did good, so the team did not get the bonus. Now her old manager did fill bad about that, and put her on a team where they all did good, so she got one of the larger bonuses, which was only like 50 bucks before Christmas.

One of the drug companies she gets her medicines from, gave her a credit which is good for about 6 times of filling that one medication. That helps!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Linux WINE is limited in what it can do. Each game that it supports needs special attention, support, in order to get it to function. There just aren't enough people who know enough about POSIX and how to get the Microsoft API to work with it. Some things simply cannot be translated and not all Linux distros can run POSIX. Thus not everything Windows can be ported over to Wine. Micorsoft's research is trying to fix that by inventing a universal operating system.

OK, should I win the lotto I will not set up a trust for you to eat out. I can, however, get you a shoe box full of gift cards to use with the likes of DoorDash. I don't know if there are any Lions Choice outlets near you, but I was able to get DoorDash to give me a taste of their menu from the store in O'Fallon.

But, seriously, the shame in this matter is that it would take a lottery big win in order to do privately what our government should be doing as a matter of course. It just irks me to no end that they can't find a way to guarantee a minimum income for everybody and some basic housing, food, and healthcare without calling it socialism. If the wealthiest country on earth can't provide a minimum subsistence for all its citizens, then perhaps it's time to rethink why we are maintaining the kind of governance we are.

I can't speak for the hardware business, but it is common knowledge that women do not get paid what they are worth in the business world. I have no doubt Deb is doing the best she can, and I hope she can continue indefinitely. The system is biased unfortunately and it would take a change in the culture to fix that problem.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It's pretty hard to make an emulator to mimic proprietary software that is not publicly published. It is all a guessing game.

My son's wife was making a trip down to Florida to see him, and she picked up four Lion's Choice for me, but then she was running late due to traffic and completely forgot. In any case, my son enjoyed dining on them, hi hi.

We can leave Billions of machines and equipment for the enemy to use, send billions overseas for border control, but we can't raise SS to a living wage level. Sad, very sad!

One thing I can say about my grandpa and my dad as well. We paid our employee's more than a fair wage, more than any similar industry. Our floral designers were paid well, and sex was not a determining factor either. We paid most of our truck drivers above what was considered Union Scale, which is why none were interested in joining a Union. It would have meant a cut in pay and fewer benefits. However, that being said, the majority of our drivers were off-duty police and firemen who already belonged to their respective Unions. And Unions don't let you belong to other Unions.
After dad has his heart attack and I took over the accounting for a short time, I was surprised just how much our longest working designers were making. But you have to realize, they started working for us as teenagers, and were still with us beyond normal retirement ages, and we gave time worked raises to everyone in the cut flower shop. The oldest longest working designer was making a goodly amount more than I was making, hi hi.
Other than one single case, all new designers were hired at 10 cents less per hour than our lowest paid designer at the time the new person was hired. Even though the lowest paid might have been there four or five years already. Inflation dictated we should have starting salaries go up too.
The one exception was a celebrated, award winning, floral designer we hired from another state, who formerly owned his own flower shop, but got to drinking too heavily. I do know he never had a single drop of liquor the whole time he worked for us, and he worked up until, actually past, his normal retirement age. He would have continued working if his wife would have let him. Now she made some pretty big bucks in her retirement, and she wanted them to do a little traveling while they still could.
yogi

Post by yogi »

If you are going to emulate something in software, then you don't need to know anything about the source code be it proprietary or not. An emulation is not a clone, it's a different way of doing the same thing. If Linux developers are having a hard time emulating the Microsoft API because the source is hidden, then they are in the wrong business. They don't know what they should be doing.

You keep referring to the military equipment we left in Afghanistan when Biden ended our presence there as if it was a mistake. The hardware certainly is there but they don't have knowledge of how to use it, nor are there replacements for repairs, and last I heard there isn't much fuel to power them either. It's valuable stuff but as far as the Afghans are concerned it might a well be junk.

I think your ancestors created a masterpiece of success with that floral business. Some very good things were done to keep the employees happy and productive, and y'all could be proud of that. Much of your success, I suspect, was due to the fact that the business was family owned. When it's a publicly owned operation you don't have the luxury of keeping it all in the family. Everyone has their own ideas about how things should be done and in the end it all gets very inefficient. There is no grandpa to keep them in line.

Well, I'm sorry to report that somebody walked off with the Mega Millions jackpot last week. That means the upcoming draw will only be worth $20 million, which isn't in my opinion a big win. I bought a ticket today anyway, but should I actually win I won't be feeling very philanthropic with that paltry amount. I'm sure I could match your son's wife with her efforts, but I don't know about a shoe box full of gift cards. We'll see how it goes.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Had they pulled out of Afghanistan the proper way, we would have brought our valuable equipment home, and perhaps left some junk after rendering it useless. No matter how you look at it, it is BILLIONS of our dollars wasted.

Most people thought we were rich, simply because grandpa had to have the best of everything, or that is how it appeared to the general public. Most don't know his dad came over here with nothing. Cracked Rock for road building by hand with a sledge hammer for only 12.5 cents PER DAY. Which at that time was about 1/4th or less than what most workers earned. But he lived like a pauper for over 20 years, and saved his money to buy a farm. Even then, all the work was done by hand with simple hand tools, and he still scrimped and saved to buy a plow horse and plow. Also, back then everyone had their own farms and gardens so making sales of things everybody else already grew for themselves was not an easy task. But as other families moved to the area and had other types of jobs, due to several types of businesses opening up, his little roadside stand grew and grew to become a local marketplace.
It was my grandpa's wife who was actually responsible for us moving into the flower business. She started selling flowers for 5 cents a bunch and taking them downtown to sell them. The more she sold, the more space she needed, so her little garden kept growing also, until part of the farmland hand to give way to raising flowers.
Then of course came the greenhouses, and naturally they had to be the best so they would last.
And that was the way grandpa was, don't waste money on things that don't hold up, buy something that will last and serve you well for decades or longer. You know it cost him a pretty penny to build the big boiler room and have a 100 foot tall Weiderholt Chimney built. He was always thinking ahead, and often had to do without himself in order to fund his business to make it grow. And that it did until his dying day. Then the sons took over and kept it stagnant, no more growth to speak of, just keep it going the way grandpa intended. So basically, his boys were just biding their time in the business.

Did I ever mention that I won a Ford Mustang once. I would have been better off winning a white elephant.
The taxes on the winnings were bad enough, had to sell the car to pay the winnings tax.
Then they got me again on the income tax for the sale of the car with no deductions since it didn't cost me anything.
When all was said and done, my final pittance from 3,500 car was only 600 bucks of which I had to pays sales tax on anything I bought with it, hi hi.
I did win a few things after that time, but kept what I won, and put it to use. Like a large upright freezer, much larger than the one we had. Kept both. Most things I did win after the car, the winnings taxes were paid as part of the prize.
I finally gave up on doing sweepstakes entries when postage took another big jump.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The "right way" to have exited Afghanistan apparently took longer than four years to accomplish. That's how long the previous president claimed he would pull the troops out. Instead of exiting Afghanistan, he invited the Taliban/Isis leadership to the Whitehouse for a friendly visit. Biden just finished the job Trump started ... apparently.

I've heard stories all my life about immigrants coming to this country with nothing but the clothes on their back. Most of them just tried to make ends meet in a foreign land, but several did what your grandparents did. They worked their buns off to accomplish something really worthwhile. It says a lot about the people who immigrated, but they came here at a time when prosperity was within reach of anyone who worked hard enough to get it. That wasn't possible when we became interdependent and today's world is ultra competitive and dominated by multinational conglomerates. The little guy has just about no chance to make it big anymore. Thus, your grandparents were in the right place at the right time. It is a shame that the progeny of your grandparents didn't follow through. Perhaps they couldn't for whatever reason. Regardless, you were part of the success and can be proud of your contributions.

It's interesting that your family was looked upon as being wealthy because they had a high sense of values. Looking back at my childhood I would say that by today''s standards I grew up in poverty. Nobody accused us of that at the time. Both of our families lived in extreme conditions, and nobody knew or admitted they knew who we were underneath the vernier.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Not that is all that important to you, but I made some errors in my previous dissertation about my family history.
Jean Adam Deutschmann & Marie Anne Barbe Hebting are the parents of Anton Jan Deutschmann, not mentioned earlier.
After Marie died, Jean Adam married Anna Barbe Grees and the fifth of their children was George Paul Deutschmann.

Anton Jan Deutschmann came to America via Castle Garden and arrived here in 1838.
Francoise Thomas Deutschmann, an older brother of George Paul Deutschmann, by Jean Adams second wife Anna, is who bought the ticket to come to America, but passed it on to George Paul Deutschmann.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Continued from first post. I accidentally hit Submit.

George Paul Deutschmann, born in 1828, and arrived in New York on May 5th, 1850, and entered via Castle Garden.
While in Germany, George Paul became an apprentice wagon maker, and excelled at his craft.
And is what he had hoped to do upon arrival in America and making his way to Des Peres, Missouri.
However, the map showing where his brother lived was out of date, so they never met up immediately.
This left George Paul to fend for himself. He landed a job cracking rock for road building, for 12 and 1/2 cents per day.
During his work on road building, the Market Street extensions took him out to Bonhomme, Missouri, now Chesterfield.
It was during this time of road building in the Bonhomme area when George Paul finally found his brother Anton Jan.

Anton Jan had a house and barn that sat fairly idle, except for some chickens, but no livestock. He built a new home in Kirkwood, Missouri. And Anton Jan let George Paul take over the house and barn, and provided some funding for him to get into the wagon building trade full time. Plus he had to do some farming for his brother to cover the expenses of the house.
The Wagon Business grew rapidly, and George Paul began hiring more and more employees to keep up with sales.

Three years after starting the Wagon Business, he assigned John Green as the general manager.
He also married Catherine Hosenfeld, and bought the 17 acre farm in Des Peres, plus started construction on a one room brick home, the one that became known as the Homestead House in latter years. This home was added onto many times and became quite large over the years.

George Paul Deutschmann, Jr. was born on November 7th, 1856. His dad sold the wagon making business to John Green and used those funds to buy 80 more acres of which was used for farming. Selling Corn, Wheat, and Vegetables he raised down at the French Market was most profitable for him. He also raised herbs and shrubs, since they were in demand by the city folks. It was a 4 hour trip each way to go to the French Market down in the City of Saint Louis, Missouri.

The Civil War more or less ended his profitable French Market venture. Plus he was drafted to serve in the Union Army.
His neighbors helped to get the crops in for his wife Catherine. George Junior love working with his mom in her gardens, but his mom became very ill, and the most she could do was tie up the bunches of flowers while seated in her rocker on the porch. With his wife so sick, George Paul could be excused from the service if he sent a replacement. His brother-in-law John Hosenfeld agreed to do this for him.

I won't get into the rest of the details this time, don't want to wear out your eyeballs.
But I think the above and all the rest is covered in the Deutschmann History Part One, which I believe I sent you a copy.