Major Announcement

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Major Announcement

Post by yogi »

Apparently Simple Green is a degreaser similar to what I used to use to clean the gunk off my car engines. They had some other name for the engine cleaner, and I don't recall if it was green or not. It did take the grease off but then some gaskets started to leak. I think that's the reason I stopped using it. LOL

I know exactly why you risked your life trying to see what those phone company guys did to your wiring. I could admonish you for trying something like that, but I have a feeling Deb already did. The way I see it is that you had phone service prior to them coming out to install the fiber, but now you don't. It should not be too difficult convincing their tech support people that they screwed up and need to come back and fix it. You might explain how important it is for you to have telephone access in your office. Should something happen to you were you need a phone but don't have it available because their service people broke it, they better have some really good lawyers to explain it to the judge. OF course you don't have to tell them that you can't afford a lawyer, The idea is to convey the urgency attached to having a live phone at your finger tips.

Don't know about you but when I can't figure something out I get terribly frustrated. I can really get down on myself. However, worse than that is when I have to suffer due to the incompetence of other people, especially those who are being paid to provide a service to me. I guess that's one more reason I never was a manager when I worked for a living. Most of my employees would have been fired. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

IF I could get down there, I could figure it out. But that's the problem, I don't have the ability to do even that anymore. So YES it is very frustrating.

The phone line from the house to my garage is the more expensive shielded twisted pair, just to reduce interference from my Ham Layout that I never ever did get installed up here as originally planned. Too busy renovating the house at the time.

I really can't believe how far downhill I've gone in the past couple of months. Driving me nuts!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't doubt that you can fix the broken phone line lickity split. That is, if you were able to get anywhere near the phone line you could fix it. There are alternatives such as stringing a new line from the house to your garage. I can't imagine that would be pretty, but it might give you phone service. It's also possible you can get somebody young and agile to go down there with a camera, maybe a video camera, and document the damage. Unfortunately it would take quite a special somebody to fix the problem once it was identified, which is why I suggested ragging to the installer people who broke it in the first place.

You're in a dilemma that I've been contemplating for a long time. Your mind is alert and fresh, but the body is not. When we had doggies for pets it was sometimes difficult to tell when they were seriously ill because they didn't know how bad off they were. They just acted as normal as they could and left it up to us to guess if something is wrong. In the case of humans, we usually know something is wrong and react accordingly. You are doing a fantastic job of dealing with the inevitable, and I will say once again how much I admire your spirit. I realize my admiration won't make anything better, but you can be sure that you are doing the best you can do. Doing the best leaves little room for regrets.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have raged now for 3-days. The fiber installers have no equipment or knowledge of telephone systems. I was just lucky the assistant installer who cut my LAN cable happen to have a repair for it in his personal tool pouch.

I can probably talk someone through a simple phone line repair, but I know mine is a little more complicated because my shielded phone cable is a 5 group pairs which uses different colors. But when going from it to a standard, 4-wire phone wire, which is what I did. I used 4-wire (aka 2-pair) throughout the house. But shielded only came in 5-Group pairs.
Even so, if you remember that Green - Red is your primary line, then Green would go to your White with Blue bands, and Red would go to Blue with White bands. Bands meaning the narrow color spiraled on the wire cover.

FWIW: In days of yore, when we only had ONE phone line, the Black and Yellow were used with a wall wart to power the lights in a Princess Phone, or one with a Lighted Dial.
Although it is really rare for a MaBell wall wart to ever wear out. I had a customer once who had replaced all the lights in the phones in his house that had lighted dials on them, because he thought the bulbs had burned out, turns out, it wasn't the rare case of the wall wart going bad, it was plugged to a ceiling light in his basement and someone unplugged it, hi hi.

But here is some info for yourself to stash away should you ever need it.

Note: I always list Tip Color then Ring Color!
Tip and Ring refer to the days when they used phone jacks and plugs.
Ring was the hot side of the 90 volt ringer circuit, but these days it doesn't matter if they get reversed.

Basic 2 and 3 pair wiring:
Tip - Ring
Green - Red
Black - Yellow
Blue - White

Basic 4 pair wiring:
Tip - Ring
Green - Red
Black - Yellow
Blue - Orange
Brown - White

All Others - 5 Group Pairs:
Showing Group 1:
White w/Blue bands - Blue w/White bands
White w/Orange - Orange w/White
White w/Green - Green w/White
White w/Brown - Brown w/White
White w/Slate - Slate w/White

Group 2 = Red w/above
Group 3 = Black w/above
Group 4 = Yellow w/above
Group 5 = Violet w/above

You might want to save that in your Helpful Hints file, just in case you ever need it.

What I'm hoping, is while Debi's son is here for a visit, even though he knows nothing about anything, and he probably won't be able to spot a wire where something is amiss. At best, if he can help me get down under the house, at least he's big and strong enough to help me get back out. But I hoping he'll go down there for me and let me talk him through it. If not, I have nobody else who I know who would be willing to do that for me.

I have doctors appointments and two surgery appointments coming up where they call me the day before to tell me what time to be there for the surgery. And it will probably be an early AM which I hate with a passion, due to my nose drips and low O2 in the morning, and the shakes I have along with it all. I'm usually not functional until around 10 am, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... nVEALw_wcB

You obviously have not tried to obtain 5-pair telephone wire lately. LOL That stuff is as rare as hair on a frog. 6-pair and 4-pair are easy to find in a variety of styles, but 5-pair only showed up once. Not surprising that Digi-Key were the people that had it. They have everything.

I had two phone lines coming into my previous house. That was a single cable with four wires plus the accessory wires. It was intended to be wired to a single jack that would accommodate a phone that can switch between two lines, but I wanted something different. I wanted a dual rj-11 wall plate each with a single line of its own. When the phone wire guy came out he said he couldn't do that for me but he did tell me how to do it. It was a simple matter of reversing two wires (thinking it was the GRN and YEL, but could be wrong) on the wall wart with two jacks on it. If I didn't reverse the wires that second jack was useless. I knew at the time why all that was true, but it's been eight years since I had to deal with twisted pairs. I now have one coax cable and a modem with multiple ports. I also only have one phone number but multiple phones on that circuit. So life is simple if not expensive.

I'm guessing the AT&T dude did something simple and obvious. I sure would like to see you around here after Easter so that maybe it would be a good idea if you didn't go crawling around in trenches. Give the kid a camera and let him take pictures. Then tell him what to do. I'm sure he can't make it any worse than it currently is. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

LAN cables, due to high volume sales are now cheaper than most phone wire, especially if you get up into 4-pairs (8 wires).

If you have a 2-pin wall phone jack with two jacks, red/green normally goes to the tip jack, and black/yellow to the bottom jack.
UNLESS you have 4-pin jacks. In that case, red/green goes to the center two contacts, and yellow/black to the outer two contacts. NOW you jumper those wires in the top jack to the bottom jack in reverse, red/green go to the outer contacts and yellow/black to the center contacts. This way if you have two phone lines and only a single phone, you can unplug it from the top jack, and plug it into the bottom jack to use the second line.

I have my Ooma box down at the house, but the LYNX (wireless adapter) is not powerful enough to reach the garage.
And if I can find my old Ooma Telo box, it's somewhere in the house. Ooma said I can use it up here to my LAN switch, it won't be as high a quality over 200 feet of LAN, but then, I had over 200 feet of telephone wire, hi hi.
Trouble is, we've spent two days now looking for where the new Ooma box holding the old Ooma Telo was stashed.

He could not find any wires that were cut or pulled apart anywhere near where they guy was working.
But then too, he's terrified of spiders, so I think that is what he was mainly looking for, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

If the broken connection is not visible then there is little choice. You need somebody with a cable tester to put tones on individual pairs and see where they go, or don't go. The break might not be at the terminal ends but in the middle somewhere. If you have 200 feet of wire and a break somewhere along that line, it's not going to be easy to find it. I'm not sure the phone company would agree to test your circuits, but an electrician would. And, of course, that would be costly. All of which is why it's best to get the guys who broke it to fix it. The ultimate solution might be to rewire it. Disconnect the old wires and install new ones.

I don't know enough about Ooma to be able to offer any good suggestions. However, if it is truly VOIP, then all you need is a way to connect your phone to the existing LAN in your office. I would guess the Ooma phone has circuitry in it that could act as an access point. To my way of thinking you should be able to Ooma via the Silver Yogi's connection to the LAN. It would just be a peripheral like an external hard drive. Then again, as I said, I don't know a lot about Ooma.

I'd offer to come down and look it over for you, BUT, I'm also not a fan of spiders. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think I have it narrowed down as to why they can't find the original feed phone line to my garage office phone line.
Remember I said they cut my LAN and used that instead of the USB cable to the Web Cam. Good thing I had excess LAN cable under the house on that feed, because they cut out a good 5 feet of it. After they saw what they did, they used phone line to pull the end of the LAN cable back down under the house and repaired it. They did this by tying the phone line to the USB cable after cutting it, pulling the phone line up in a loop on the end of the USB cable, and used that to pull the LAN cable back down under the house. Then they cut the phone line flush with the floor which made it jump up to above the underside of the floor out of sight. Then the part from the garage that was still under there, they cut it off also, about 6 feet worth, so they could tuck it up under the insulation out of sight.

I used to have squealers to put on wires to test them, but it was not needed. My neighbor checked the phone wiring under the house, and found the fatter phone line running down from my office, and followed it to where it was loose and up under the insulation, cut off clean as a whistle. Unfortunately, it was not long enough to reach any of the terminal blocks down there, and being odd colors, he didn't wan't to try and make a connection and possibly mess up the rest of our phones.

We have not yet found my OLD Ooma box to install up in the office and see if we can get it to work that way, through my Access Point up here. Which I shouldn't need to do, just plug the Ooma box into my gigabit switch should do the trick.
I'm also miffed about my LAN now too. I thought for sure the run from the house to the garage I did with CAT 5e. But apparently not, as the piece they cut out only showed CAT 5 on the blue cover. That explains why I'm only getting 94 mbps over the fiber optics up here in the office. I think I will get a short CAT 6 to connect Debi's computer to the fiber optic box and see what kind of difference that makes for her.

My eye surgery is at 7 am on Wednesday morning, and is about a half-hour drive from here. This means I have to get up around 4 am so I'm done with my phlegm and nose dripping, and can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight. I'll be starved and my mouth will be so dry it will crack inside.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When I worked at Motorola I was fascinated and overwhelmed by the complexity of the communications network the first time I saw it. It didn't scare me, but attracted me instead. I wanted to get involved with networking because it is so large and so complex, but, alas, I didn't have the background and they were not about to train me on the job. As you can tell from my many rants about computers, I thrive on solving complex problems. Be that all as it may, I don't think I want anything to do with the wiring in your house. :lmao1:

I'm sure you did what had to be done at the time you installed everything, and you certainly did it your own way. The cable guys who did the hatchet job on your network actually were pretty good to get working what it is they did get working. I'm sure they have seen many a rat's nest in their experience, but brilliant as they might have been they are under time and cost restrictions. That's likely the only reason they left you in the mess you were in. Apparently you got a neighbor to help you out, and that is a good thing. I think a CAT 6 cable from the fiber box to the computer will help, but going by your previous descriptions of Deb's computer I doubt she will see a lot of improvement. Seems like a lot of the problem is the computer itself.

Surgery is never an easy experience. In your case it is more complicated that usual, but it is a very good sign that they are willing to do surgery on you at all. I suppose I should also expect you to be AWOL for a while until your eyes adjust to their new status. Do indeed take your time to heal properly. I'll be around here at least until November of 2024, which is when the domain lease expires.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I was a lowly draftsman, catching the mistakes made by the engineers and showing solutions to the problems, is how I got pushed up the ladder to engineering and without a degree.

Actually, the wiring I did myself was impeccable, but some of the other wiring in there made me cringe, which is why I replaced so much of it as I renovated the house. I have 75 ohm coax in each room I did in the house, and running up to my office as well.
And naturally, all the wiring was picture perfect in the rooms I remodeled. All new wires properly installed and going to terminal boxes. However, those boxes never got closed up so wires still stick out of them, hi hi.

I bought new batteries to put into some of my old computers down here a year ago, and I've still not been able to get around to moving them all out to get to them to do that.

I plan on being back on-line by around 10 am. Now whether I'm in pain or not remains to be seen, I'll still have one working eye. But anything to do with the eyes usually comes with great pain. Then one week later they do the other eye!
yogi

Post by yogi »

There was one manager at Motorola that thought I did so well he wanted to promote me from the ranks of technician to the lower ranks of management. When he discovered I had no degree he told me that he could not offer me the promotion. It would end up being a non-degreed person (me) managing a department full of degreed people, and while I might be capable of doing the work there would be too much resentment for things to run smoothly. At first I was taken back, but I also was working with a group of IT professionals. They are the most arrogant SOB's you ever want to deal with. Personally they were great friends, but every one of them considered themselves God's gift to Information Technology and would not cater to anyone less gifted.

I wish you luck with your attempts to try and revive those antique computers by replacing their BIOS batteries. Even if that does revive one or two, you will still have some very old computers. I know that you are comfortable with that, but it would be better if you can sell them as antiques (or for parts) and use the proceeds to buy or build something more modern. The age of this here tower I'm using to write these messages is starting to irk me once again. The problem is that it is working just fine and will do so until the end of life support for Windows 10. It doesn't have the hardware to convert it to Windows 11 so that if I don't replace it in then next year or two, I certainly will do so when I lose support. But then, I also have a couple versions of Linux installed. I could just abandon Windows on the tower and stick to it on the laptop. If only I could find an acceptable replacement for Windows.

The eye surgery isn't that complicated, but IT IS surgery and you are not in the best of health. So, if you need time to recuperate, then do take all the time you need. My wife was functioning perfectly normal when she walked out of the surgery for the same thing and that surprised me. She did lay low for a few days, however, and didn't drive the car for a couple weeks. Hopefully all goes just as well for you.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Ut Oh - I hit Submit and was told to log-in again. Don't know why, but luckily I could back up and copy what I wrote.

These days it is possible to get a degree with 90% of it coming from years of experience.
Don't know if the places that issue them carry any clout though. But you do get the wallpaper, hi hi.

For what I was using them for, the old computers did work rather well. The oldest of them all is still working, but the LAN port is broken. The built-in LAN card is OK, it is just the port that don't work. It passes all the other tests for the LAN though.
I only use it to play a simple game while the Silver Yogi is busy running a half hour long program for me. One in which I can't jump to another workspace to do.

One I quit using, I only did so because the cooling fins for the CPU got so dirty it won't cool down and overheats.
The old large size Dell is the one I know the battery died, and won't let me boot into it without the battery working.

Well, the surgery went just fine, I think.
Right after the surgery, it was like they were holding a red sheet of cellulose in front of my eye, everything was Red.
But this cleared up before I was released to go home. After I was home, I noticed all the computer screens and TV looked bright Blue, same affect, which is slowly wearing off.
I realize it's only been about 11 hours since the surgery, and I've used my drops as instructed.
No real pain to speak of yet, but there is some.
But I am still worried, because now that I can open my eye, and although it is bright, I cannot focus, which may take a few days. But what has me worried most is if I move my head left and right while looking at the same image, it is clearer on each side, but dull like looking through frosted glass in the middle where your focal point is. I hope they didn't give me a SCUFFED Lens.
I go see the doc again tomorrow morning at 9:30 am for him to check my eye.
And hopefully after a good nights sleep it will clear up a bit better.
No way could I read text with it at present.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Many years have passed since I last checked into college education requirements. The concept of credit for life experiences was just being introduced into the community college system back then. The glitch in it all was that you still had to pay for the class in order to get the credit. You didn't have to attend if you had the experience, but they were not giving away college credits for free. The other glitch at that time was the degrees offered for life experience were very strange. Urban Studies, for example, was one degree that didn't exist until that program was instituted. The idea behind it all was to give poor people the opportunity to earn a degree, any degree, so that they could do better in the workforce. It just so happened that nobody knew what kind of job required an Urban Studies degree. I understand universities and some of the Ivy League schools are now offering similar degrees and credits for life experience. The truth in the matter is that the degree opens doors, but it is no indication of the individual's capability. You know, even the person to graduate in last place at medical school is still called a doctor.

I'm very glad you were able to recover your lost response even when forced to log out. I don't have a clue what could be causing that. I just blame it all on Debian. :mrgreen:

Good to read that your surgery went as well as could be expected. You made some interesting comments about not being able to focus in the center of your vision. That sounds like macular degeneration wherein peripheral vision is good but the center is blurred. The thing that struck me as being odd is that you claim that text reading is impossible. I assume you had somebody type your text into this forum then. Being able to read/write when your vision is blurred is truly an "out of the box" experience.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had two years at one seminary, and another two years at another, but that was before they were an accredited college. So they issued no types of degrees of any kind.

Ha, it wasn't Debian that did it, hi hi.

Well, that scratchy center has gone away, my eye is a bit swollen still, so focusing is not yet clear, but should be after the swelling all the way gone. I can read larger size text now through that eye. But since I have to wear my glasses due to the other eye needing it, the stronger lens is over my right eye which makes it blurry. Like someone who don't need glasses looking through someone elses glasses. The bright blue is gone now too, and I see white as WHITE as it should be. If I look at anything through my left eye that was only tan before, now it too looks brown, but that is in comparison to my clear right eye. It's really funny looking at things through a clear eye first, and then looking through my old dingy eye. Everything looks like it is covered with tan mud now on the old eye. Looks like I'm going to like having new eyes to look through, hi hi.
I'm going to have to buy some 3 dollar reading glasses of different powers for about a month until my eyes are considered stable one again and I can get script glasses again for my astigmatism and photo-gray like always. More money I don't have, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You know, of course, I was only kidding about Debian?

It's good news that the eye with surgery is clearing up, literally. Since you mentioned that you can read large text without a problem, I will try a little experiment and enlarge the text here so make it easier on your eyes for a few days.

You suggest something that my wife did after her eye surgery. She only had one eye done because the other was just marginally affected by cataracts. Having one good eye and one almost good eye made her prescription glasses useless much in the same way as you describe. She then went to Walgreens and got some $10 reading glasses and hasn't gone back to update the prescription lenses because she feels she doesn't need to. I guess those $150 glasses were useful beforehand, but they only lasted a few months before the corrective surgery. It is truly amazing how vision problems can be corrected so easily.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I will still need prescription glasses due to my having astigmatism.
However, I will be buying several strengths of reading glasses to tide me over for the two months following tomorrows surgery when they do the other eye.

Because they still have me on Prednisone drops in my eyes, the swelling has not gone down much.
Ironically, I can read the small print just fine with my old eye through the center lens of my tri-focals, but to read from my new eye, I have to lift my head and view through my bifocal, which is what I had to do when my eyes were swollen before.
Without my glasses on, I can't even read your Large Print with my new eye, and just barely with the old eye.
So I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow after they do the other eye, because I've not yet bought the readers I will need to attempt to read.

There would be no sense in getting new expensive script glasses before all the changes and eye swelling have settled back down.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I agree with you entirely. It's not worth paying all that money for prescription lenses while your eyes are still healing from surgery. I think those Walgreens specials will do until your eyes normalize, or maybe you can just use those assistive technology features built into Windows and Linux which magnify the screen. Not sure about Linux, but I know Windows can read the text out loud to you if you set it up to do so. I also don't know if you can adjust your computer to suit your current needs, but I do know you can enlarge the text one way or another. Being able to do something on the computer is better than not being able to do anything. Hopefully the surgery will go better than expected and you will be back to your normal routine quickly. If it takes longer than you expected, enjoy the rest. Watch TV .. well, that probably won't work well. It might be time to listen to a lot of music or have your computer read some e-books to you.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I bought three pairs of reading glasses on the way home from the surgery, 125, 250 & 325. Unfortunately, they don't do what I thought they would do. I assumed they were magnifiers, but I guess not.
I can take my old glasses and look through the bifocal point and see distance that way.
I probably should have researched it, but they did only cost me 2 bucks a pair. So I'm out 6 bucks.
but then too, after my swelling goes down, they may work for the purpose intended.
Right now I just use the Scroll wheel to zoom in on the screens, works great, hi hi.

By the way, the left eye is much more painful, not only for me, but for others I've talked too.
But at least now it is done. I have to use the eye drop meds now for a whole month on each eye.
And since one of them is Prednisone, I don't see the swelling going down until after I'm off that stuff.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It is my understanding that reading glasses are magnifying glasses. However, there seems to be two different ways of labeling those glasses. There is the diopter number (preceded by a +) or the magnification number (followed by an X). Diopters refer to the curvature of the lens. Apparently there is a formula to convert diopter value to magnification value, but it would still take some experimenting to find out what suits you best. The problem with magnifiers, no matter how you measure the strength, is that both lenses are the same. Since you currently don't have equal vision in both eyes, simple magnification will just make the problem bigger and not eliminate it. After you have the second eye cleared, then both eyes will be approximately equal and the magnifiers should work for reading purposes. Distance and other problems will still need prescription lenses.

Interesting Glasses: https://berdaperfect.com/product/new-bi ... xctzmg3gty

I don't think I have heard about the left eye being prone to more pain than the right eye. That's an interesting phenomena if true and I am wondering what the mechanism for that would be. We all have what is called a dominant eye, but that dominance resides in the brain sections that receive the visual inputs from the eyes. I suppose there could be different nerves on the left side vs the right side of the face, but that too would surprise me. I figure we are more or less symmetrical creatures. In any case, all of the surgery related problems are temporary. It's got to be distressing that your time period will go beyond a month, but I suspect you will be very happy with the results after everything heals.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The reason I could see distance through my bifocal on my original glasses had to do with my cornea being swollen. Made it work like a telescope sorta. Why the reading glasses didn't work is because they had a totally different focal length than my script glasses did. I was normally nearsighted, and my scripts made me able to see distance. Then the combination of my swollen cornea and glasses together is what worked. Now today it doesn't work so well, and I can see better without my glasses. In fact, looking through my glasses now makes everything blurry. Which is as it should be. By the same token, the reading glasses make things bigger, hi hi, but with a very narrow focal range.

Doc said, it's not the left or right eye, it's the second eye that always seems to hurt more. It really doesn't I just don't remember how bad the first one hurt after surgery, hi hi.

I've now got excellent vision, sans the problems from astigmatism, at 2 feet to 5 feet so it is getting better by the day.
Left eye, the one just did, is clearer than the right eye, but then my right eye was the really bad one to start with.