Major Announcement

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Major Announcement

Post by yogi »

When I had pulmonary embolisms I could not walk more than about ten steps and my pulse rate approached 180. At least that is what it was in the ER. This was due to the blood clots in my legs breaking loose and being trapped in my lungs, thus preventing the lungs from functioning. My situation at the time was identical to what you are experiencing chronically. Fortunately they were able to fix my problem with an injection and 5 days of rest and observation in the hospital. The point here is that when the lungs can't absorb enough O2 the heart reacts by pumping more blood to make up for the deficiency. It seems reasonable to me that if your heart was weak, you would not be here telling me about it right now.

I've heard about the wild fires in Alberta, Canada, but didn't realize we here in the midwest are getting some of the smoke. I've seen maps of how the winds are blowing the smoke mostly along the Canadian border with us, but depending on the current winds a lot of it has come down to the St Louis area and into Tennessee. The air quality has deteriorated as a result of this smoke, but it's nothing like the problems we had when our own western US was in flames a couple years ago. If you want to see something interesting, check this out: https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/ I don't know that you are reacting to any of that smoke, but it certainly can't be a good thing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Sorry about the clots in your legs, but I'm glad they were able to do something about them.
I may not make it to the 30th for my doctors appointment. The frau got dressed to take me to the ER.
I'm not really doing good at all this evening, which is one reason I'm so late getting here.

If I'm not around for a few days, she won and took me to the ER.

Smoke does make it a little harder to breath, but since I'm on O2 it only makes me cough more, until my chest aches.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My wife's allergies are acting up lately more than usual. My eyes are watery and nasal congestion makes me feel as if I have some form of summer cold. Something is up in the air, for sure. I would not doubt that what4ever is mucking up the air here is also making its way to the Knoxville area. I can appreciate how much you do not look forward to visiting the ER. Been there, done that. In fact my wife saved my life by taking me to the ER instead of waiting for 911 to respond. It's not pleasant for you nor for Debbie, but the bottom line is that it's life saving. Do it and moan about it later.

This here website is pretty dull without your contributions, but should you go AWOL for a few days I will know it's for the best. Taking care of your immediate needs, or allowing Debbie to help you do so, is critically important. I expect to be here when you get back. I can then tell you about how I bloodied up myself trimming a tree in my back yard. It would just be a continuation of the previous thread about pine trees; getting old can be quite the challenge.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Debi called my heart doctor with my stats and he told her to tell me to double up on one of my meds.
I looked it up and it is the blood thinner one I'm taking. That did help get my pulse back down to normal for a few hours anyhow. After that if it got high again, I should take two aspirin about 6 hour apart if needed.
If I get worse before I need to go to my appointment on the 30th, then I should go to the hospital.
He seems to think it is still the aftermath of the Prednisone I took way back in January, when my eyes and feet swelled up.

I do OK while sitting in my office on O2, but getting between here and the house nearly kills me.
yogi

Post by yogi »

First and foremost I am very glad to see you posting today. I had my doubts about it, but as I said earlier I understand fully what you must be going through. It's interesting to me that you were prescribed a blood thinner to counteract the Prednisone. All I know is Prednisone is kind of a general cure all prescribed for any number of conditions. Why a blood thinner would mitigate any negative effects of that drug is beyond me.

Regardless, I can tell you about MY experience with blood thinners. I mentioned recently that I had blood clots in my legs which nearly killed me. The cure for that is an anticoagulant, typically warfarin. Warfarin is rat poison. No kidding. It really is used to kill rats by making them bleed to death internally. Thus when people take it they must be monitored very closely. A blood test is required every week or two to be sure things are not out of whack. Warfarin is not the most stable anticoagulant, but it's readily available and dirt cheap.

I was taking warfarin for about eight years up north. My doctor down here continued the prescription but about the second or third year in Missouri I got some blood clotting in my left leg. I think I know the reason for it, but can't convince the doctor. I was seeing a dermatologist who decided to give me an antibiotic. Shortly after that the blood clots appeared. This gal is a buddy of my doctor so that she could do no wrong, and besides it's perfectly normal for professionals to defend one another no matter what. Anyway, my doctor changed the prescription from Warfarin to Xarelto. It works fine and there is no need for weekly blood tests with this drug. However, it is tier three or higher as far as my insurance is concerned. My first refill each year before I reach the deductible is crazy high priced. The 90 day supply started out around $400 for that first round. About a month ago it was ... $800. It drops down to about $150 for the rest of the year, but even that is outrageous. There are no substitutes.

The first time I was hospitalized for the clotting that doctor kept me on warfarin for 6 months then stopped it. A little more than a year later the same thing happened, pulmonary embolisms et al. The treatment was the same as the first time. After six months he took me off warfarin. I went to see a hematologist who did some testing to see if I was genetically predisposed to thrombosis, and I am not. He said I should never have been taken off the blood thinner in the first place. I asked what happens if I don't take it, and he was not very optimistic. At a minimum I'd end up in the ER and 5 days in a bed. The worst case would be stroke or death. So ... I decided to take the rat poison permanently.

My primary care physician was a bit miffed at what I did, but obviously he didn't know what the heck he was doing. A couple years later we moved and I now have a completely new healthcare team. I've had some steroids for reasons I don't recall, but was told they were not renewable and could be addictive. It might have been after I had the prostate surgery now that I think about it. In any case I did not have a bad reaction. Probably because I already was on blood thinners.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had the Prednisone way back in January. It caused me feet and eyeballs to swell. Couldn't see clearly for over a month.
But the swelling went down in my eyeballs, but not my feet. Only now are they close to normal size with only some swelling left, enough so I can't wear even my larger size winter boots.

He added to my blood thinner because my heart has been running around 20 beats faster than normal, and if I move around even a little bit, it jumps up to over 110 almost instantly, and then I can't breathe, and my O2 starts to plummet.

I'm not on such a powerful blood thinner, and can often just add a 325 mg aspirin if need be.
But for a while after my second heart attack, when the first blood thinner wasn't working, he gave me a new one that works, but at the dosage he gave me, I would sometimes have bleeding areas on my arms or legs for no reason other than my blood may have been too thin. He cut the dosage in half, and then cut it in half again about 6 months later, and that is what I've been on ever since.
He gets a copy of my lab work from my regular doctor and will sometimes call and tell me to double my dosage again for a month, then cut it back to my normal script after that. When he does this, it causes me to run out before I'm supposed to, and the insurance companies then won't refill when I need to get it. So now the doc tells the script at the higher dosage so I don't run out anymore, and actually have some extra.

I've had a few wacko doctors in the past. One of them almost cost me my life with her misdiagnosis.

I'm sorry you suffer from blood clots, I sure hope I never get them, they sound horrible to have happen.
Albeit, that is what caused my second heart attack. The blood thinner I was on, didn't work on me.

My appointment with the heart doctor is Tuesday the 30th.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

FWIW, when I tried posting the above, I timed out waiting. But luckily I not only saved it, it was still here when I could connect.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Glad you did not lose that post to a timeout error. The fact that it was saved is due to your browser. The server apparently had no contact with you so that even if it could rescue your post, it was not able.

Blood clots, thrombosis, is a hidden killer. There are no obvious symptoms ahead of time. About the only thing that happened to me was my legs became swollen but that was a long time after the clots formed. There is no pain when you have a blood clot unless it gets stuck in a precarious part of your body, such as your heart. But even then it's after the fact. The clot has formed and maybe even sat around for a long time before it broke loose and traveled to other parts of the body. Thus, you can have clotting and not know it until it's too late. My time in the hospital was utterly boring. All they did was give me a shot to dissolve the clot and then I had to sit around for five days in the hospital to make sure the blood was flowing properly again. I was feeling great other than being bothered by that IV they had going for no good reason. I suppose some people have it worse than I do and perhaps they have noticeable symptoms. In my case it was a silent killer waiting to for the right moment to strike.

When I was taking warfarin the dosage was being adjusted constantly. Part of the problem there was that I'd forget to take a pill one day and that would mess up the blood test I was required to get every week. The stuff I'm on now needs no test and I can't tell any difference when I miss a pill. I could probably do without blood thinners for a year or so. After that I'd have to ask, "Do you feel lucky, Punk?"
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I was double safe on that one because I hit Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C before I hit Submit.

I had an aunt who had blood clots all the time, and it caused her to have like three or four strokes before a big one finally took her out. But then too, she was like 94 I think, maybe older.

Drugs have always made me leery, because even since childhood, sometimes they do the opposite of what they are supposed to.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Drugs here in America are well tested before they are released for public consumption. Basically they gather data about the effects of a drug and analyze the data. Much of it has to do with probability and statistics which are averaged. If the average reaction includes a majority of the population, then the drug is considered safe to distribute widely. But, extreme cases are included in that average. That means drugs can affect people in unexpected ways that the average person doesn't experience. From a statistical point of view that is a normal distribution. It certainly is normal unless you are one of those people at the extreme. Unfortunately there is only one way to find out where you are under that average curve.

I have a paranoia regarding drugs for basically the reasons I just cited. My knowledge about statistics is minimal but what I do know is reliable. Thus I never got a flu shot on purpose because the odds of it helping me specifically were minimal. COVID and it's potentials allowed me to modify my thinking just a bit. I didn't want to end up in the hospital and the odds were against me in that regard. Thus that traditional ounce of prevention was worth more than two pounds of cure. Chances are I had that virus at some point during the past couple years. I was checked a few times and was always negative, but they never checked to see if I had it in between those test points. Thus the three vaccines might have helped in that regard. Perhaps they did nothing other than give me peace of mind. In any case I felt the odds swung back in my favor which is why I never got more than three antivirus shots.

You did the right thing by copying the text of your last message to the clipboard. However, it's also possible to save a draft copy before you hit the "Submit" button. The advantage of the draft is that it's a permanent save on the server. If you lose the clipboard the draft copy is still available. You have to be in the Full Editor mode to get the option for saving the draft, and I suspect you don't do that. It is an extra click to get there. Be that all as it may, your typing was saved and recovered. All of which is a good thing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

So true Yogi! A fellow I worked with was highly allergic to plain old Aspirin, which included a lot of other things that contained salacylic acid. He only shook hands with an older higher up the chain employee one day, and he broke out bright red hives all over. It took a while to figure out what had triggered it. I was the shaking of hands that did, because the guy had rubbed some Aspercream on his elbows or something on his bod, and a residual was still on his hands, even after washing his hands.

I've had my flu shots, and always still ended up with the flu. Their excuse is the shot didn't cover the strain that hit the area.
As far as covid, nope, no shots for me, and no follow up shots.
The only thing I worry about is my wife made me an appointment with a pulmonologist for August. Couldn't get in sooner, because they are still handling people who had lung issues from covid. So I worry about going to him and being around folks who are known to have covid.

I rarely use the Full Editor, I just use the reply window that pops up with the message. But I have got in the habit of saving my work to a clipboard before I hit send, albeit if I get knocked off while typing, then I have no saved copy yet to go back to.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are stories of people being allergic to peanuts. Some products go to the trouble of stating on the label that it was made with equipment that also handled peanuts, or they may say they did not do it that way. The point being that even the slightest residual of some allergens could bring on the symptoms. I also sympathize with people who are lactose intolerant. Some form of milk is in just about everything. It's got to be a pain in the drain trying to avoid something like lactose.

My argument against getting flu shots was exactly what you stated. The strain for which the vaccine was produced is long gone by the time shots for it are readily available. Why would I want to be immune to last year's, or two years back, influenza? Any given strain only lasts one season, if that long. So, to me flu shots are like antivirus software. They all work on historical data and not on what is current.

COVID to my way of thinking was a different animal, plus it was more widely distributed than the average flu. I'm normally pretty cautious in public places so that the likelihood of me catching COVID might have been insignificant under normal circumstances. The pandemic, however, was not normal and the odds in favor of me catching COVID were greatly increased. I knew I could do little to prevent me catching it, but the vaccines had a statistically significant record of keeping things under control. So, I went for it. I didn't get the follow ups because those virus variants were much like the normal flu and not of pandemic proportions.

You probably need to see the pulmonologist for your own well being. His office certainly would be a cesspool for lung diseases of all kinds and you have a right to be very concerned about it. Fortunately there are things you can do to minimize the risks, such as wearing the right kind of mask. Actually a double layer of masks would be ideal. Carry some sanitizer with you so that you can quickly decontaminate any exposed skin that might have picked up a stray microbe. When you get home change clothes. Any bugs that might have landed on your trousers won't last 24 hours. Probably won't last 24 minutes but why take chances. You might look odd and feel uncomfortable, but the pulmonologist knows why you should be doing all those things. Anybody else staring at you doesn't matter. And, of all places, I would think and hope a pulmonologist would know how to protect his patients better than most other doctors.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When we were kids, we played OUTSIDE in the dirt and handled all sorts of things which built up our immune systems.
The kids these days rarely go outside and only handle a computer or cell phone. No way to build up their immune systems.

I had to walk 20 feet to the breaker box. Getting there was OK, but getting back up the incline, my heart rate jumped to over 110 and I couldn't breathe. Thought it was time for another ambulance ride for sure this time.
I grabbed an inhaler from my pocket, and because of the way I was breathing, I didn't think I would get enough in to help.
After I managed to get inside and sat down on a stool, I cranked the O2 way up, and started an Albuterol treatment.
It still took around 20 minutes before I was able to get off the stool.

My heart doctors appointment is tomorrow at 1 pm. But I doubt there is much he can do other than talk.
I'm almost out of O2 tanks also. Only one large one, and two small ones, which I will use while I'm out to the doctors.
There should be enough for me to get back home, and if need be, stay on the oxygen concentrator until my delivery comes on Wednesday.

Very Scary Yogi!
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is some truth to the fact that the immune system builds up tolerance while you are exposed to contaminants. Playing outside as a kid certainly would be part of the resistance building process, but I would guess it's only a small part. Many childhood diseases are transmitted by touching somebody who has it or inhaling their germs suspended in air. When kids go to school and are confined to a single room with thirty other disease carrying individuals, that is when they get the most exposure and build up resistance. Less outdoor activity might be a problem but more than that the pathogens floating around today are much more dangerous than what you would have encountered as a kid. Many of the viruses themselves have built up an immunity so that they are much harder to defeat than their ancestors.

Technically your immune system is compromised and fighting off any disease, regardless of its potency, is a problem. Then, too, it helps to be able to breath normally. We both know you are not in great shape, but you are far above the norm when it comes to using what limited resources you have. It is distressing that you must experience all this, but your strength and determination are nothing less than inspirational. Even in your most difficult moments you have a way of benefiting others.

And, in a completely different line of thought, I ran across some information about Opus Dei and their presence in Kirkwood. Are you now, or have you ever been, part of that group?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

How do you explain the massive increase in allergies affecting nearly all the younger folks and kids?

Nope, in fact I've never heard of them.

Heart doctor says not my heart, but my lungs getting much worse, which is causing my higher heart rate.
yogi

Post by yogi »

How do you explain the massive increase in allergies affecting nearly all the younger folks and kids?
  • The increase in allergies affecting younger people and kids could be attributed to a number of factors. Some studies have suggested that exposure to environmental pollutants, changes in diet, and decreased exposure to microorganisms due to improved hygiene could be contributing factors. However, more research is needed to fully understand the causes behind the increase in allergies. Additionally, it's important to note that not all allergies are the same- they can be caused by a wide range of allergens, from pollen and dust to specific foods. If you or someone you know is experiencing allergy symptoms, it's important to see a healthcare provider for proper diagnosis and treatment.

And from Microsoft's Bing ...
  • According to the CDC data, younger children are more likely to have skin allergies and older children are more likely to have respiratory allergies1. In the UK, 40% of children have been diagnosed with an allergy. The four most common allergies in children are food allergy, eczema, asthma, and hay fever.

There are many theories about why allergies are on the rise. One theory is that we are too clean and our immune systems are not being challenged enough. Another theory is that we are exposed to more allergens than ever before. A third theory is that our diets have changed and we are eating more processed foods.

It’s important to note that allergies can be serious and even life-threatening. If you suspect that you or your child has an allergy, it’s important to see a doctor or allergist for diagnosis and treatment.
There seems to be some agreement among artificially intelligent machines that the immune system isn't being challenged enough. However, that is only one of several explanations.

I'd have to say it's good news that your heart is doing well considering all the stress you have been under lately. The lung problem is not good news, unfortunately. Last I read from you is that you were doing exercises to keep the heart strong. I like that fighting spirit. I only wish something could be done about the breathing apparatus as well.

Opus Dei is a small sect within the Catholic religion. It seems they garnered some notoriety in the film version of the The Da Vinci Code. Apparently it wasn't favorable notoriety and the Opus Dei group in Kirkwood pushed back trying to explain what they are really all about. I've heard of them before and not in a good sense in that they were depicted as being extremely conservative and secretive about their internal affairs. Spending all that time in Kirkwood, I thought it was possible you may have heard of the group.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

All I know about the number of folks with allergies is it is on the rise, and has been for a couple of decades now.

I did a lot of exercise in the beginning, but now that my lungs have gotten so bad, riding the stationary bike is now super hard to do even for a few minutes.

I've messed a couple days of getting back to our messages. It is taking me much longer in the morning to be able to get up here to my office, and it seems when I'm here, I'm running in slo-mo and having to correct a lot of typing errors. Also, not having new glasses yet, I've been inundated with headaches.

Maybe I have heard of Opus Dei, but since they would be like the black sheep of the community, out of sight, out of mind.
yogi

Post by yogi »

One of the interesting observations in those comments about the weakened immune system we are seeing has to do with cleanliness. They claim that since we are more than ever into hygiene, there are fewer things growing on our skin. We wash all those bad bugs away and the immune system has nothing to fight off. To my way of thinking that's a good argument for not bathing very often. Keeping the hands and face clean is a good idea, but the rest of the body seems to need germs to keep the immune system tuned.

Opus Dei is insignificant as far as the Catholic religion is concerned. Apparently they are structured something like the Jewish religion wherein some folks are more Kosher than others. Then there are the Orthodox Jews, which is the level on which I suspect Opus Dei operates. Since they are secretive and an exclusive group, a lot of rumors about them are just that. Rumors. Anyway, I was surprised to read they had a base in Kirkwood.

When you don't show up here on any given day I look to my Brainformation Twitter feed to see if you posted anything there under your pseudonym. I only follow a few people in that account so that my timeline is very clear, and when I see you posted something I know you avoided disaster for yet another day. I really enjoy our dialogues here, but I also realize how difficult things are for you just to get to your computer. If you really want to check in and don't have the energy to make it to the office, you might ask Deb to log in for you on her smartphone. You don't have to go very far to use that. However I have a feeling you would not appreciate the lack of a mechanical keyboard. Then, too, you don't have to say much. And perhaps she taught her phone how to write text from voice. I have a couple apps where I do that, and it's really cool. It would never be productive, but it is useful when all other means are not accessible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My mom's dad worked at the Kirkwood Sewer Disposal Plant for over 30 years. He was over 30 when he started working there also. He fell into one of the second stage holding basins once, which should have meant sure death from the diseases he would have got from that incident, which is what has happened to all others. Heck, it didn't even give him a rash or a cold. No problems from that fall and he only hosed himself off and wore the same clothes the rest of the day.

I know why I didn't know about them, the church refers to them as The Prelature.
They are more strict than priests about remaining pure and celibate, they do more daily prayers than a priest does too.
Apparently it is a very strict lifestyle.

This is going to sound like a meaningless job. But I have a benefit for doing so. I don't have to pay my book promoter to promote my books. All I have to do is go hit Like on all of the books she posts on her Farcebook Pages, and elsewhere, and on Twitter, hit the heart button and share each one there she had posted for the day. Some days it is only one new book, other days it is 5 or more new books I have to do that too.

Although I'm usually up at around 7 am, the way my mornings go, I'm often sitting on the edge of the bed for an hour before I have the strength, and air, to get dressed. Also, my nose drips like a broken faucet, so a lot of that sitting is holding a wastecan between my knees and waiting for the drips to slow down.
It is often close to 2 hours by the time I make it to the kitchen counter where I eat breakfast, take my pills and do two nebulizer treatment, stopping between each step of my morning with nose drips.
Once I feel like I am able to make the trek up to my office, I do so, and sometimes I have to stop and stand still for a bit to let my heart quit racing and my O2 to come back up. I used to feed the birds first thing when I got up to the garage, but now I have to go sit at my desk, let my nose drip some more, use up a bunch of air, and do pursed lip breathing. It is almost 10 am by the time I feed the birds and open the browser on the computer and get started for the day.
I used to eat lunch at noon, but now it is more like 1:30 to 2 pm before I finish my morning computer stuff.
So like now, by the time I get back up here, it is already after 3 pm, and it takes an hour or longer to do my Dutch Rhudy stuff for the book promoter, and we eat dinner at 5 pm sharp on days the frau works early or don't work, and at 8:30 pm on days she works the late shift.
On days she works the early shift, I don't get back up to the office until around 7:30 pm so can stay until 9 pm, I sometimes stretch that to 9:30 unless she works early the next day. On days she works the late shift, I don't come back up after dinner.
Some days I'm just flat worn out trying to breathe, do my pursed lip breathing, and quite often now, being close to having a panic attack because I cannot breathe, even when the O2 is up I'm starving for air. Very scary Yogi!

I normally try to come here, after I get back up to the office, but sometimes I running so late, I have to do the Dutch Rhudy stuff right away, or I won't be done by dinnertime. When that happens, I usually try to catch you after dinner.
But as I said, I'm going downhill fast, and sometimes just can't make it anymore. Either that or the frau has somethings she needs me to do for her, most of which is just sitting and helping with paperwork, or showing her how to do something because I just can't anymore.
My days are getting really hard, is all I can say.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't what to sound like I'm giving a premature eulogy here, but sometimes things that should have been said while they still made sense never are articulated. The gods only know how much empathy I have for you in your situation. It's got to be difficult to an extreme. While I'm not what you would consider a believer, I do feel as if you have gained His favor. It is for that reason you have been able to endure your trials and tribulations for such an extended period of time.

In my own personal experience I've been so close to death a time or two that I could feel It's cold breath on the back of my neck. Between the blood clots and the cancer it's a small miracle that I'm still here to write about it. I've had a lot of time to contemplate it and I can only wonder why I was spared. My only solace is that there is some unknown (to me) mission yet to be accomplished. It's hard to imagine what I've been saved for. When I think of how dire your situation is, I also think you too are still here for a purpose. I certainly am in no position to speculate about what that purpose is, but I do know with certainty that you have made a difference in my life. You are my friend, virtually, and that means a lot to me. We don't have to meet in person for us to share our experiences or benefit from the stories we tell. The value I derive from knowing you goes beyond the physical world.

Don't let your ego get overly inflated by my comments. There are things we disagree on, but we are friends because of our differences, not because we think along parallel lines. I doubt that anything I can say here would make your days easier, but I do want you to know that I appreciate your friendship and the efforts you are making to maintain it. I don't know if I would have the strength to do what you are doing.

Go forth and prosper, my friend. Your mission has not yet been accomplished.