Servers, Multiple

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Servers, Multiple

Post by Kellemora »

Here they are for refrigerators:
LG
Samsung
KitchenAid
GE Appliances
Panasonic
Kelvinator
Bosch
Electrolux
Hitachi

LG was supposed to be the best, which is why we went with them, turned out they were the worst of any we've ever owned.

Top Heat Pump manufacturers
Carrier
Daikin
Johnson Controls
Lennox International
Mitsubishi Electric
Trane Technologies

When I bought ours Johnson Controls was at the top of the list, and Carrier was at the bottom of the list.
I guess it is whoever puts the list together. This list looks to be alphabetical.

I do remember the package that came with our Heat Pump had like 6 or 7 different BRAND labels in the box to attach in the Brand Plate area. I just picked the label that looked the nicest, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

This is what I get when I search for appliance manufacturers:
My Fried Google wrote:There are 139 Major Household Appliance Manufacturing businesses in the US as of 2023, an increase of 2% from 2022.

What is the #1 appliance brand?
Best Kitchen Appliances Brands in the World by Revenue as of 2020
Rank Company -- Revenue
1 Samsung USD -- 208.5 billion
2 GE USD 121.61 -- billion
3 Bosch USD -- 84.84 billion
4 LG USD -- 54.4 billion
Tell me again, why did you go with LG? :lol:

This list is fairly current and perhaps when you were in the market LG had a better reputation. Of course that list is not for unit sales, but you can rest assured that Samsung is selling 4x the products as LG. It' pretty hard to tell from all this that only six companies make all the rest. I'm beginning to question that assumption.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

How much money a company makes is not really all that reflective of the quality of their merchandise.

I did replace the LG fridge with a Samsung, made by Samsung. It has some design flaws in it we don't like.
Ironically, the best fridge I ever owned was the bottom of the line Roper brand like I bought for apartments.
Those things never say die, hi hi.
I also bought one for here before we moved here, for Debi's mom and dad, it is in the garage and still runs.
yogi

Post by yogi »

How much money a company makes is not really all that reflective of the quality of their merchandise.
True that, but it does indicate what people want and are satisfied with. My main point, however, is that it looks like there is considerably more than just six companies making home appliances. It truly doesn't matter how many there are. You don't get to pick the design when you go shopping. All you can do is choose what is available, unless you happen to be one of those 139 manufacturers.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

So true! I looked at about 6 different brands of refrigerators all made by the same company, and there was something different about the insides on each one of them, mainly the plastic components. All the metalwork was the same, and the controls.

Department stores who sold small appliances, all had their own range of serial numbers and model numbers on them, even though they were identical in all ways, except the knob you push down on the toaster.
This is how they advertise they will not be undersold on the same product. They couldn't be, nobody had the same product model, hi hi.

I will say one thing good about a company, eons ago in the late 60's early 70's. J. C. Penny's Major Appliances, were always a grade above the manufacturers top of the line products. To sell to JCP, they had to make them even better for them.
For example: GE is who made Penncrest washing machines at the time. The top o the line GE model had only a single stage clutch in it. But in the Penncrest model they had to put a three stage clutch. Which basically meant you could burn out two clutches and still have one more to go. And it was simple to get in there and switch which clutch was being used.

Now Norge Commercial Washers had a single pawl clutch and a cheap trigger band, and if that trigger on the band broke off, you had to completely disassemble the washing machine to replace that band, an almost all day job on those suckers.