Vertical Clouds

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Vertical Clouds

Post by Kellemora »

The government cannot give out money without
A: Taking it from Us First, or
B: Printing Money without backup which reduces the value of all money in circulation, and causing the price over everything to go up because the dollar has less value. It is like a cut in income to all folks working or on fixed incomes.

In order to raise salaries the price of the goods they sell must go up accordingly, speeding up inflation even worse.

Poly-TICK-ians keep raising their salaries and benefits, while most of America is suffering from runaway inflation.

Even Dollar Tree made a 25% increase in prices on everything in the store! My SS did not go up 25% to cover the extra cost of everything. And at other stores, some things have gone up more than 25%, some things are now double in price.

My wife stopped in our local little restaurant that was always affordable. In the past two years, their prices have changed from 3.99 per plate lunch, to 5.99, to 7.99, and when she was there yesterday, it was 9.99 for nearly everything that used to be 3.99 before Biden was installed.

Where my wife works, almost all the prices in the store have increased by 12% over the past year, with no one getting a raise in their salary. On many smaller items, the kinds of things sold in smaller sizes, like screws and bolts, nails, washers, nuts, etc. All of those things have now gone up by 22%.

At best these price increases may stabilize and quit climbing, but they sure won't go down, they never do.

My own doctor I've had for the 20 years I lived down here, up and quit, he's no longer going to be a doctor.
He was in a group practice, so other doctors took over his clients, and they did bring in a new doctor.
Debi's bro-in-law said he saw him working at the Farmers Co-Op, which is a really big place here. He was doing invoicing in the office, but didn't know if that was a permanent job, or if he was just helping them out for a day or two.
The way the Co-Op works is, you go in and select the items you want, then an Invoice is written up, and you take the Invoice to the Cashier and pay for your goods, and only after that will they bring what you ordered around to the loading dock.
They do have shelves and shopping carts for you to pick-up the small things, and take those to the Cashier like you would at a grocery store. But the bulk of their sales are bulk items, like trailer loads of this and that and the other thing.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The only time I recall prices going down was during the 1930's. You're a history buff and it might interest you to read up on that era to see how happy people were that prices were coming down instead of there being rampant inflation. People blame Joe Biden for what is going on in today's economy, which is due to the propaganda they have been fed. Anybody who understands basic economics would know not one single person can have any effect on the economy.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You think not. What if just one big shot at the Electric Company decides to shut-off the Electric at 3pm for 3 hours.
I think it would cause a big change in an area, especially for businesses and restaurants.
What about turning off the oil supply pipeline for 2 years?
Then taking fuel for our backup reserves to get prices down right before an election?
If you don't think those types of things don't make a difference, I don't know Yogi.
We would have 2 to 3 million more barrels of oil per day had Biden not shut off the pipeline.
And then begging the suppliers not to cut back on the supply and paying top dollar to get the fuel.
All a gimmick to try and make himself look good. But the rest of us see right through what he is doing.
yogi

Post by yogi »

So, you would prefer to line the pockets of BIG OIL company executives rather than move toward being not dependent on fossil fuels at all.
I see ...

Plus, the economy, inflation and all, is not based on a single industry or a given product. It's the total of all goods and services. In today's world it is impossible to isolate yourself from global markets. Thus many of our internal economic problems are due to events in foreign countries. Perhaps you have not heard about the dispute going on in the Ukraine and where Russian oil (about 10% of the market, or the third largest producer after Saudi Arabia and USA) has been withdrawn from the world market. If you think our country has problems with crude oil, you should talk to some of your friends and relatives in Germany and see what they have to say. Maybe you could also find out why the Arabs are cutting back production when the markets need it the most.

PS:
I'm pretty sure you get your news from FOX: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/10/fox ... off-video/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Burning Wood for heating, BAD, stop doing it, switch to abundant COAL.
Burning Coal for heating, BAD, stop doing it, switch to GAS, before we run out of Coal.
Burning Gas for heating, BAD, stop doing it, switch to ELECTRIC, before we run out of Gas.
Use Hydroelectric for heating, Good, it's only water over the dam. Best Choice!
Using Fossil Fuel Electric for heating, BAD, stop doing it, switch to NUCLEAR, because Electric is made from Coal and Gas.
Using Nuclear Electric for heating, BAD, stop doing it, switch to SOLAR and WIND, because Nuclear has radioactive waste.
Using Solar is heating up our atmosphere, stop doing it, switch to WIND only, to save our planet.
Using Wind is causing our planet to slow down, stop doing it, switch to Hydroelectric like we started with.
Using Electric to charge vehicles, BAD, stop doing it, the Electrical Grid cannot handle any more!

In other words, every single generation claims how the previous generation did something is BAD.
Except for Hydroelectricity, which they have found nothing to complain about, other than the Dams themselves.
Which create places for fish to grow, and places for entertainment, like camping, boating, and fishing.

The U.S. of A. has over 200 years of Oil available, and before that ever runs out, we will find something else to use, like Hydrogen Fuel Cells. Electric powered vehicles will never become the dominant mode of transportation, because it is more dirty than using Oil based fuels. Talk about finding some place to put spent fuel rods, wait until they have to figure out what to do with millions of dead 2 ton batteries.

I don't watch TV, much less any of the news channels on the Idiot Box!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have my doubts about hydroelectric being the best alternative. I've seen pictures of Hoover Dam where the water is disappearing due to climate changes that you have said is normal (implying no need for concern) due to Ice Age cycles. I'll agree with the observation that each generation has new ideas and think their predecessors were not doing it properly. That's called progress in spite of the fact we old timers might not like it.

The article I posted reveals how disinformation, such as claims about Joe Biden screwing up the crude oil supply chain, is used to influence people's attitudes and behaviors. Fox, and it's patriarch, Rupert Murdock, has been pushing the idea that the current president is to blame for high gasoline prices, and by extension for inflation being so bad. A few days ago their man at the White House Press Briefings, Peter Duchy, challenged the press secretary to explain why the president wants to put oil companies out of business. She asked how is that so. Duchy pointed out, correctly, that the president is acting to eliminate fossil fuels and implies that will bankrupt the crude oil refiners. That was the end of what FOX News broadcast. What they did not air was the press secretary's explanation ...
First, Jean-Pierre pointed out that U.S. oil production is “up and on track to reach a record high next year.”

“We’ve seen that from their- from when we see their profit margins,” she continued, adding that they’re at a “record high.”

“And so, in fact, the United States has produced more oil in President Biden’s first year than under Trump’s administration’s first year,” she continued. “But at the same time, oil companies are raking in record profits while more than 9,000 approved drilling permits remain untapped by the oil industry.”

“There is no shortage of opportunity or incentive for all companies to ramp up production. This is something that they can actually do.”
The point of my elaborate analysis here is that FOX News is THE most watched news channel in this country. What it broadcasts influences a lot of people. Just about all their viewers take what is broadcast at face value, and in the above example that abbreviated response from the press secretary was misleading and contrary to FOX's political bias. This would not be so bad if FOX News was an isolated incident, but it's not. It's a very common practice among conservative news sources and today's Republicans in general. The misleading presentation of partial facts is designed to undermine the current administration and Democrats in general. It does not address the issues directly. Some of the criticisms I've seen about Democrats and the current president obviously have their roots in this kind of deliberate misrepresentation of the facts. It is tragic that so many people take it all in without question.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You could be right on all the points you made Yogi, but as I said, I don't watch TV, especially TV News.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The link I posted is in fact about a television entertainment show known as FOX News. The technique described in the article, however, is not confined to television. It's something all social media is infested with; places such as Facebook have by design in fact influenced people's thinking and subsequent behavior. That's great for the advertisers there, but the technique has also been applied to politics, i.e. Facebook and the Cambridge Analytica scandal. The Russians and Chinese use that very technique in their psychological warfare against us. Sadly, most people are unaware of what's happening.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When the same propaganda is spread hard enough and long enough, after a while, almost everyone believes it.
It doesn't help either that what we were taught in schools turned out to be so very wrong, and they still teach it.
TV, Brainwashing at its finest art!

Walter Cronkite told us the news, without bias, and told both sides, and let us form our own opinion.

And guess what, those of us who turned down the vaccine are not dying as they said we would!
yogi

Post by yogi »

And guess what, those of us who turned down the vaccine are not dying as they said we would!
Some of the latest numbers published this past week indicate that people who claim to be Republicans are contracting and dying from the virus at a much higher rate than those who claim the be Democrats. The last study expressed some concern in that they didn't know why political affiliation would be a factor. Well, most antivaxxers claim to be Republican. DUH!

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... -rcna50883

All I can add to that is I am very happy you followed your beliefs and avoided the deadly vaccines. You probably would not be with us right now if you did get the jab. Good for you, my friend.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Putting those with Covid into nursing homes with very frail people account for Many of those deaths.

Plus we know kids recover easily, if they get it at all, so why jab them?
Unless there is something in that shot that has to do with government control of the people.

One of Debi's aunts who did get the shot, ended up in the hospital for over a month, and she still tests negative for Covid. She had a very bad reaction to those early shots.

If those shots really worked, why did they need three of them and five boosters?
Obviously, they are not doing what they were claimed to be doing. So what are they doing REALLY?
yogi

Post by yogi »

So what are they doing REALLY?
I'm not always good at explaining things which is why I often quote articles for you to read for yourself and decide. I did exactly that regarding vaccines, more than once. The articles and my comments thereupon were very clear and described exactly what vaccines are intended to do, especially the rDNA approach. I know you have memory issues to I'll try to say it again concisely. COVID vaccines are not intended to prevent acquiring the disease. They merely boost the immune system so that if and when you do get the virus you will be in a better position to fight it off and survive. Some folks don't need the vaccines because their natural immunity is good enough. Others will suffer as did your wife's aunt. Not everyone responds the same way. However, the response is 95% positive for most of the vaccines being offered.
Plus we know kids recover easily, if they get it at all, so why jab them?
Unless there is something in that shot that has to do with government control of the people.
  • :yikes: :lmao1:

I'm sorry, but that comment from you leaves me speechless
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Along the "green" energy sources. Almost no one remembers geothermal energy. It has its ups and downs, but it can also be an alternative next to hydroelectric generators.

Or maybe I'm based by my scholar history and the fact that I live near a volcanic range...
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hey Yogi - Thanks for the wonderful present, it just came about 2 minutes ago. Yum Yum!
Just in time for my birthday tomorrow too, the 26th.

For Oceloti - One of our competitors in the greenhouse business owned a huge chunk of land with a cave on it.
Not a cave that would attract tourists, but it was fairly big and went back into the cave about 1/2 mile.
He built his range of greenhouses right in front of the mouth of this cave, so the front of the cave entrance was the back wall of the center greenhouse.
He installed a large blower, and ran a 2 foot diameter tube from it all the way back almost to the 1/2 mile mark in the cave, but shorter than that by about 500 feet.
He figured since a cave is 68 degrees year round, it would help cool his greenhouses in the summer, and keep them a bit warmer in the winter.
What he didn't realize was blowing all that hot air into the cave, eventually heated the cave up, so there was less than 1 degree drop after it ran for a few weeks. So after that first failed experiment, he decided to only use the blower during the hottest parts of the day. At best, he only managed to get a 4 degree drop in temp. Not the 10 degree drop he planned on getting from it all the time.
In the winter, he only turned on the blower if the temp outside had dropped close to freezing, and the greenhouses cooled down to below 50 degrees, then he would kick on the blower until it was back up to at least 60, but then the temp would start dropping again, so there too he was only getting like a 1 to 2 degree difference.

He finally added excelsior pads and blowers inside the greenhouses to keep them cool in the summer, and range heaters throughout the greenhouses to keep them warm in the winter. But since he paid to have that cave blower system put in place, he would make use of it also while it lasted, then switch over for a while, and back and forth between the systems.

I don't know how this relates to geo-thermal heating, but I know the AC systems that didn't have a pond for cooling, and used a pipe buried underground to cool the AC gas, they would eventually heat up the ground enough they didn't cool very well.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had no idea ... but, Happy Birthday Gary!

That package wasn't the first one that caught my attention, but most of the others included coffee with the goodies. I didn't think you would appreciate the beans, even though I personally think what they sell is worth subscribing to.

That story you tell about cave heating/cooling is quite interesting. First of all I was under the impression that the natural ground temperature is in the upper 40's. I was surprised to read about the cave sitting at 68℉. There is a lot of cool air inside regardless but I never gave much thought to how long it takes to get down to that temperature.

The current generation of young'ns is very progressive and into the green thing. Once they get into power en masse a lot of changes in energy use will come into being, I"m sure. For now it's a transition phase and the benefits of going green have yet to be fully appreciated. I have my doubts about the long term because the population of the planet is just about at max sustainability. A couple billion more of us and it will be a losing battle as far as energy is concerned.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Thank you Yogi - 75 years OLDE as in ANCIENT today, hi hi.

Debi does drink an occasional cup of coffee, maybe once a month is all. So you chose wisely!
Debi didn't even know I happened to like Bagels, but I do hate LOX, hi hi.
You can't be married to a Jewish gal for 20 years and not have tons of bagels during that time, hi hi.

The temperature in a large cave usually hovers around 68 degrees year round. Now if they go really deep, they do get colder for a while before they start getting hotter the deeper you go.

They have come up with new designs of much smaller nuclear power plants, that essentially would be safer and much smaller than the kinds we are using now for power. They are small enough, one could eventually be in every town. And probably one tiny one in every car some day in the future.
Personally, I think the Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology will end up taking over the automotive world before electric vehicles will, mainly because of how dangerous those lithium batteries are, and how short lived lithium batteries really are.

Actually, the population only seems like it is growing in leaps and bounds, when in fact, here in America, we are not having enough children to sustain our breed. The increase here has more to do with immigration than with new children.
In the 1800 to 1900's families had lots of children. But since WWII, the size of families has shrunk considerably, from four kids down to only two kids, and a lot of single kid families or no kid families. In other words we are losing ground.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Happy Birthday, Gary.

Using ground heat as a thermal regulating resource is limited to the thermal conductivity of soil and the heat transfer surface used for the regulation scheme. What I'm referring to is to drill artificial geysers in geologically active areas and use them as source for electricity generation. The two main generating plants in Mexico are "Los Azufres" in Michoacán, and "Cerro Prieto" in Baja California Norte. Apart of the steam generation scheme, those plants work similarly to other kinds of steam based generating plants.

There's the posibility to build plants all over the mexican transvolcanic belt and get at least 10 times the ground heat generating energy that we already have.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... rspectives
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think the reason automobile manufacturers are not pursuing hydrogen fuel cells is that they are too large and not economical. I posted an article a while back about Kia (I think) who was ready to launch a fuel cell line of cars next year. They called off the project because it wasn't practical. There may be a time when renewable power plants can be made small enough and safe enough for automobile use, but we aren't there yet. Thus the reliable lithium alternative is what is happening. That will work as long as the lithium lasts, or until people discover what it costs to replace a battery pack. We just might revert back to steam powered cars at that point. :lol:

I guess there is a lot of heat down below the earth's surface, but is it really a good idea to drill holes into the surface and let all that steam and heat escape? What happens when things start to cool off? It's not just a matter of losing power. The whole planet will go out of wack much the same way as is happening with surface global warming.

There already are famines and droughts causing people to migrate to better places so that it's not just a matter of increased populations. Although there is a maximum number of people that can be accommodated. I'm not sure anybody knows for certain what it is, but 10 billion seems to be the number most often cited. It's true that our own population may be stable, but places like China and India don't have that problem. In fact for many years there were laws in China limiting the family to one child each. I believe they increased that to two children recently.

Lox and bagels is among my most favorite foods, but I realize raw fish is not for everyone. It turns out the bagels I sent are the second best ones I've tasted in a long time. The first choice does not deliver so I went with #2. Oddly enough #1 is not located in New York.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

They keep talking about global warming. When is that supposed to happen anyhow?
The hottest temperature of record was in 1912 here in Knoxville. And somewhere I have the other two places where it was the hottest ever and the coldest ever, and we are not close to either one of those extremes.

We still have the same 130,000 glaciers we've always had.

The Sahara Desert used to be a Lush Green Forest.
And how did Whales end up buried in the sand there?

Yes, China did increase the number of allowed births, because they realized their population was dwindling, even though the continent itself is grossly overburdened with people. At only 1 child per family, the native Chinese race was dwindling fast.

I had a bagel last night, and you are right, they are the best I've ever tasted. So thanks for that wonderful gift.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Global warming is a function of the entire globe, not just Knoxville, the Sahara Desert, or Antarctica. Any given weather season would randomly go against the trend simply because weather patterns are random. However, when you measure temperatures around the entire globe over a period of time you will see the averages are rising.

I've read a few articles over the years which discuss what the limits of sustainability are here on earth. Basically there is only so much energy to be had and each person alive has what they call a carbon footprint. That is to say everyone uses a certain amount of energy just to stay alive. The 10 billion people on earth to which I referred is the number suggested to be the equilibrium point. Anything more and we will experience a net loss of that carbon footprint. That's when people start dying off because they don't have the energy to stay alive.

The Chinese government is nothing but a bunch of communists. They put controls on the population numbers because their economy could not handle the number of people they already had and would tank totally if the trend continued. Now there is new leadership and a new 5-year plan that shows the economy can indeed support more people. Unfortunately, there aren't enough people to allow the economy to grow as they projected. So ... the limits of producing young Chinese kids was increased to benefit the economy.

At one point I bought a couple dozen bagels from Zabars and froze most of them. They say to do that in order to preserve them but I was always suspicious about freezing anything, especially breads. That freezer dehumidifies whatever is in there as a function of keeping the frost levels low or nonexistent. Thus I had some concerns about how well the bagels would keep. Well, after a month in the freezer the defrosted ones were almost as good as fresh made. Then, too, I like to toast mine which could make a difference. They will dry out if you keep them in the open air too long, but an old bagel nosher like yourself would know all about that. :grin: