Pencil Sharpener

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Pencil Sharpener

Post by Kellemora »

Interesting. I've heard of that happening before a few times.
My sister worked as an airline hostess for years, and although she did learn a little Spanish, she sure didn't know the language of some of the foreigners on her flights. Many will try to use English words for something want, usually butchered to death.
But she told me about this couple who were jabbering away while looking out the window, then one turned to her and asked about where they were, like over what state as they were going across the U.S., and she said they asked her that question as clear and perfect English. She responded in English and they understood it clearly also. But that was the only instance on that entire flight.

Besides that incident in church I talked about. I was working at a new house being built, as a cub simply drilling holes and pulling wires. The owner of the house was their watching the work and talking to someone, I think in Greek. I heard him say as clear as possible to the other guy, in Greek but I heard it in English. I wonder why his wires are all straight and the other guy doing the same thing I was, his wires were all twisted. I looked up and said because I pull the wires from the end of the box sitting upright and not from the hole in the middle which coils them. I know he heard what I said plainly enough, because he went over to the other guy and said, do it like he does, pointing to me, and bent down and stood the box up on end and handed him the other end of the wire from the top of the box.

Lot's of interesting things happen in the course of our lifetimes!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've been reading about quantum mechanics again and a giant problem that was being solved. To put it succinctly, some physicists where trying to figure out in mathematical terms why things happen. You and I take it for granted that our world is what it is and we struggle to deal with the random events in our life. But these guys were trying to figure out why anything is the way it is in the first place. I've talked about this before and it was just an abstract notion, but there is something called quantum potential. That is what existed prior to the existence of the universe. It was just a potential with an infinite number of possible states. When the potential collapsed, BOOM! The Big Bang occurred and all the rest is history. The thing about that is something was created from nothing, which is what I was talking about with you. However, it's more than that. When the potential collapsed into one of it's infinite states it was a random event. This universe could have turned out to manifest in any number of ways with entirely different laws of physics.

Think about that for a few seconds. Not the collapse, but think about the kind of mind it takes to even come up with a mathematical equation to explain it. Somebody before Einstein came up with the formula but could only get it to work if they plugged in an unknown function. They didn't know what that function was and nobody could pass peer review with their ideas about it up until just recently when a lot of fellow quantum physicists got all excited about the new factors in the equation. It's all just theory right now, but unless somebody comes up with an alternative, they have the collapse of potential quantum states all figured out.

This could explain a few of the "interesting" happenings in our life. Those foreigners spoke in languages we could not normally understand, but if there was some kind of weird quantum warp in the space/time continuum, then that could be the answer. The normal universe may in fact go berserk from time to time, and that is how we experience interesting things.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't know about the first part, but do agree that there could be many different laws of physics, as we are still learning about them as well.

The more things we learn, we keep finding out Einstein was right about them.

I saw a man fall out of a tree one day. I think someone invisible or something caught him and slowed his fall.

Add to that, I did see a miracle one day and I think I told you about it.
The kid in the wagon that went flying down the driveway and across the road in front of a cement mixer.
The cement mixer hit neither the kid or the wagon, which continued to the other side of the street.
But the kid flew upwards out of the wagon, then was set down slowly, on his feet, back in the front yard, unhurt.
Some people said the truck hit him and knocked him skyward and into the yard.
Which couldn't be, not a bruise on the kid, and he landed slowly also, at least from my point of view.
Unless it was a miracle and the kids guardian angel snatched him from the wagon before impact, and set him down gently in the front yard of the house from whence he came. I can't find any other way to explain it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know what you saw because I wasn't there to witness it. Of course I would speculate about some natural phenomena that produced what you saw. There's a lot of air flow around a speeding cement truck and who knows what it can do in odd situations? I am always impressed when witnesses testify about an event. No two people see the same thing and thus tell slightly different stories. Our senses and cognitive abilities vary widely so that it is possible to witness a miracle when something odd happens. Odd but not defying the laws of physics.

Einstein was pretty clever and they are still verifying some of his speculations. By his own admission he could not explain everything, and the quantum potential collapse is one of those things. He was well aware of it and knew what had to happen, but there was no evidence nor methods to explain why something can be created from nothing. Well, now at least they have a formula to test it out.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I thought I hit a deer once when I was driving OTR. More than likely the deer jumped to the edge of the road just as I could not see it over the hood of my rig. In my mirrors I could see it was unharmed, and no carcass in the road. So I just said, it's your lucky day deer, hi hi. I also did not feel an impact as I expected to feel either. But normally, deer do not move, they freeze and stare at you until you hit them. Oh, there were no marks on my dirty bumper either, hi hi.

Creating something from nothing still requires the tangible equipment to do so, don't you think.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Creating something from nothing still requires the tangible equipment to do so, don't you think.
The short answer is, nope.

I love science and quantum physics in particular because it is so weird. Some pretty strange things happen at the sub atomic quantum level including the creation of particles that never existed previously -- something from nothing. There is no evidence, yet, that any of those strange laws of quantum physics work on a macro scale. There is also no reason to think they do not because some experiments already have demonstrated they do. I talked about entanglement where two particles communicate over time and space with disregard for the speed of light. They have proven this over a distance of kilometers and are in the process of trying to verify it with particles on the moon and earth. The famous speed of light restriction does not apply in these experiments and suggest perhaps some of those other quantum potentials also can be transitioned to the macro scaled world. All I understand is the concepts; well at least part of the concepts. A quantum state (or potential) has no dimensions and an infinite number of possible outcomes. That's the basis for saying something can result from nothing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm sure there is some type of link we don't understand yet.
I also understand that cause at one end can create an effect at the other end.
Even if we don't know how or why.
Some day we may be able to travel from our solar system to another in less than a second, since time and speed would be irrelevant.
But it all way over my head.
I used to understand enough about electronics to see how flipping a switch makes the light bulb come on instantly at the other end of the wire. Or a remote control with no wires can control an RC airplane. We understand those things now.
But traveling between solar systems instantly, now that we don't yet understand, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Getting from here to there without going through the middle used to be cutting edge Science Fiction. Now and days highly paid scientists are working on understanding how to do it. There seems to be a consensus that I can be done, and is being done at the subatomic level. It would be a pretty neat trick but then you would think some of those advanced civilizations out there in other worlds would have figured it out by now. We are still seeing their physical space ships, UFO's, so that I suspect it's not going to be as easy as you would think. Either that or nobody wants to come here to this planet for some reason.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I believe the aliens are watching us, and some are probably here and we don't know it, except perhaps some high up government officials.
It could be also they are protecting us from a nuclear war also, probably because there is some benefit to them for doing so.
I also think some of the early rulers of long gone civilizations here on earth were probably aliens, or feeding technology to us.
We still don't know how it was possible for them to build the massive buildings and pyramids, nor what there purpose really was.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's not likely that we could anticipate what advanced alien creatures might be thinking, or if they think at all. It's pretty well a certainty that they do exist, but trying to come up with a reason why they would be monitoring events on this planet, or us as living entities, would be pure speculation. Think about it. If we go to mars and find living creatures there, what would we do? Would we hide so that they don't see us, or would we try to communicate and discover all we can about their way of life? Personally I'd hide because they might think we are aliens and shoot us. LOL The thing that makes it seem plausible that there are aliens among us is the assumption that they are like us. I doubt that they would be anything close. If they are hiding, then they are not like us. If I were to assume the presence of aliens I'd go with the idea that dolphins or elephants would qualify. More likely is the possibility that insects are from some alien world. They sure look like it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Just like we have animals living in our oceans in areas that scientists say is impossible for anything to live, based on what they used to know about life. They are learning that it is possible for an animal to live in zero oxygen, high heat, and poison elements.
Such may be the case with some aliens. They may live in a hydrogen atmosphere, or possibly a totally poison atmosphere.
But at the same time, if you consider the evolution that makes sentient beings possible, they may or may not resemble our type of life form. Heck, they could be more like reptilian, or more like fish, than mammals.
But I can imagine a goodly number of different alien species would be developed similar along our own lines.
Especially if you consider the possibility that life on earth started from a meteor smashing into our planet carrying DNA from another world that was already inhabited at some point in time.
I guess we'll never know in our lifetime, but perhaps in the future, once quantum travel is mastered, we will learn a lot more.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That meteor theory is borderline. Earth at one time was essentially a pot of gurgling chemicals with nothing resembling life to show for it. They do speculate that some meteor could have crashed into our atmosphere and provided a missing element for that first string of proteins to form. In that sense life on earth could have been promoted by something outside our ecosystem. But, even so, that crash was just the beginning. The chain of events following were all random and the outcome could have been much different than it is today. Life may still have evolved, but it would have been something we can't even imagine today. That is the process I see happening on those billions of exoplanets being discovered. Life, however, is a broad term. It should be recognized that perhaps something "living" does not have physical form. You know, like ... spirits. I have no notion of how spirits might evolve but I can see them as yet one more building element of the universe. They are like carbon. We are carbon based life on this planet, but who is to say there cannot be some other base? Maybe something invisible even.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

All the concepts talked about in SciFi stories, could actually be the norm someplace, eh!

Heck, we may have sentient life living in the oceans for all we know about what is down there, hi hi.