GMO E. coli

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

GMO E. coli

Post by yogi »

E. coli is a very common bacteria found just about everywhere. The strains of this bacteria number over 700 so that you might wonder why somebody would want to modify the bacteria to create a new strain. The answer is in the article I linked to below and one which I found very interesting becaise we talked about this a few times in the past, i.e. drugs (in this case bacteria) that target cancer cells only. The scientists added two new genes to the old bacteria; one set allows for the production of nanobodies that kill off cancer cells. The other set of genes acts like a thermal switch which causes the bacterial to start producing the nanobodies.

The bacteria is normally killed off by the immune system, but once it migrates to a colony inside the cancerous tumor, the normal activity of said tumor shuts off the immune system response to anything inside it. At some point after enough bacteria get inside the tumor, the medical team zaps it with focused ultrasound beams. This zapping raises the temperature of the tumor cells to a point where those GMO bacteria start producing those cancer killing nanobodies. There are still a couple bugs to be worked out, but the trials in mice have yielded some very promising results.

While the technique itself is what interested me most, that is bacteria with a thermal switch built in, the concept of carrying disease killing drugs to specific sites is exactly what the COVID-19 vaccines are doing.

Will miracles never cease? https://scitechdaily.com/genetically-en ... cer-cells/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: GMO E. coli

Post by Kellemora »

It is all amazing stuff, I know that!
But I still don't know why they don't use the tagged dyes as the carrier for the medications, since they only adhere to a tumor?
They can use those dyes for XRays but not for sending tumor killing medication. Seems strange to me they don't allow it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can only speculate about the dyes to which you refer. The article I quoted above, and a few other similar articles, talk about an organic body being a carrier of the medication that kills the cancer. While dyes do attach themselves to specific types of cell structures, they do not have the ability to deploy the killer drugs. It's apparently no big trick to come up with something that will attach itself to a cancerous organ. The problem is that the dyes also attach to biological organisms and body chemicals that are not intended to be destroyed. A tumor will attract a large number of dye molecules and thus be easily identified because of the concentration of cancerous cells containing the dye. But, that dye is everywhere else too, albeit in lesser quantities.

Getting the carrier to deliver the kill is another thing dyes cannot do. The bacteria talked about in the article had to be genetically modified in order to get it to generate nanobodies. Dyes have no genes to be modified. The GMO approach is superior because it can be a carrier of the cancer killing chemicals, and in the case of E. coli the release can be triggered in a very tightly defined area at a specific time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

True about it going other places too, the dyes that is, but then so does Chemo go everywhere also.

I think the criss/cross radiation works better than Chemo, but not straight radiation that burns skin and tissues.

The only place criss/cross affects is where the two beams intersect each other.
In other words they can focus each beam right to where they want them to be, then use both for a second or two.
The worst part is you are also under XRay the entire time they are focusing and running the alignment.
I also don't think the crossed beams have a very large working area, so they have to move them around a little and zap several times. But at least these machines are getting faster and better in how they work.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have not heard of the criss-cross radiation therapy method. When I had my cancer the doctors explained all the options, none of which applied to my particular case other than surgery. They can place radioactive crystals into the cancer site. The radiation distance is pretty short and the crystals are very small which is why they could kill the cancer without a lot of collateral damage. X-ray beams kill everything in their path because it literally vaporizes organic tissues at some point.

I know about something called a Gamma (or Proton) knife that is used to remove brain tumors. If there is any place you don't want collateral damage, it would be in the brain. The gamma rays work on the level of protons and can be focused very sharply. I don't know the reasons why the gamma knife only kills off the tumor cells and not the rest of the brain, but that is exactly what it does. You would think by calling it a "knife" that the tumor would be removed somehow. Well, my understanding is that it is not removed but killed off and reduced, or eliminated. Apparently this only works on tumorous growths, but it's amazing that it is non invasive.

Chemo therapy basically is poison that works on rapidly multiplying cells. That's what cancer cells are and that is why they are affected by the poison. Unfortunately things like hair follicles and stomach linings also are fast growing and killed off by chemo therapy. The good news is that it's systemic and in theory will kill off the cancer hiding anywhere in your body. You need a very strong immune system to keep it from killing your whole body, unfortunately.

The genetic approach in the article has the advantage of not being lethal until it's activated by highly focused ultrasonic radiation. The downside is something not mentioned in the article, which is that it only is being applied to tumors. Other types of cancer cannot be treated this way, yet. The problem with cancer is that there are multiple versions and they all act differently. That makes one pill for all versions impossible to create.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It looks like you have a good handle on all the types of cancer treatments out there.
The crisscross I mentioned only works on fixed tumors.
Unfortunately most cancers spread throughout the body and into the lymph glands, then nothing works.

I know a few folks and my sister who had cancer, and every single one of the had a different type of Chemo.
It may slow down things, but not by much and make you feel like you are dead already.
One friend had cancer they could remove the tumors easily enough, but still gave her Chemo and radiation.
She didn't live long after they started that though.

I think one of the reasons more people are getting cancer isn't necessarily because we are living longer, its the junk in the air, the junk in our food, and the places and things we have worked on over the years.
Some people get cancer working at the same jobs other did for years without getting cancer.
So I think there has to be like 5 or more triggers that need to happen to get cancer.
And if you only have 2 or 3 of those triggers, you probably won't get it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My wife had breast cancer and was treated with chemo therapy. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined, except for one incident. She ended up in the hospital for a few days because her immune system could not handle the treatment. She got at least half a dozen doses over a few months time and was sick for a couple days each time, but that was about it. After the chemo routine she went for a few sessions of radiation. After that they put her on hormones which were supposed to discourage any future cancers. She lost a breast and had reconstruction done, but the effects of chemo are still with her ten years later. The sever arthritis she has, for example, can be related back to the chemo. It was traumatic for both of us to say the least, but her chances of survival now are way up on the 90%+ statistics.

The thing about cancer cells is that just one running loose in the body can reproduce. Thu lymphatic system is a marvelous thing in that all the nasty junk killed off by the immune system gets stored in the lymph nodes until it can be disposed of properly. Thus my wife also had several lymph nodes around her breast removed just in case. Metastasized cancer is always fatal because the cancer cells have broken away from the local site of development and are spread throughout the system. It's nearly impossible to kill off that kind of cancer.

From what I understand every cell in the body has potential to be cancerous. It just takes a minor mutation in the right genes and poof. That cell gets wild and reproduces uncontrollably. You are correct to speculate that many factors in the environment would cause cells to mutate and start the cancer process. They don't know all the chemicals that will do it, but there are thousands of them. Many are in our food and water supply but do not affect us because of the small dose. Some poisons take years to accumulate before the cancer stage is reached, and some people can get rid of the toxins better than others. It's a wild and uncontrollable situation in the world of cancer.

In my wife's case she was down in Florida one year visiting relatives. She rented a bicycle and had the misfortune of falling off. She sustained an injury under her left arm but eventually the pain and bruises healed. It wasn't too long after that when the breast cancer was discovered very close to the point of injury from the bike. The doctors all said that's not what caused it. Perhaps not, but wife has met a few people with similar stories. Some accident occurred and cancer soon developed near the injury site. It's probably all coincident. Then again, maybe not. The causes of cancer are yet unknown fully.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Dang nab it, I got bumped back to the log-in screen while replying.

I'm glad your wife beat her bout with cancer, even if there are residual lingering affects.

I wish I wouldn't have lost all I had typed, because it was interesting and well worded.

I had talked about my wife #2-1/2 and how that came to be, while I was married to wife #2.
It was so I could do things for her kids, now my foster kids, that only a legal parent could do.
I also talked about the quick thinking judge that made it all happen.

Then I went on to talk about how I'm surprised I never got cancer. I worked with asbestos for a lot of years.
In the greenhouse to protect exposed steam pipes so people didn't get burned on them.
At a service station blowing out brake drums as I was installing new brakes.
And in home renovations, either removing asbestos slate siding, or drilling through it to install siding over it.
Or scraping out asbestos coatings used as insulation.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I too am sorry you lost your last response to the log in page. I know how well you can write certain stories and I'm sure that I would have appreciated your commentary. Back in the deep corners of my mind is a memory about you having two wives simultaneously. I don't recall the details but you probably told me the story on some other occasion. Chances are 50/50 that you will tell the story again at some future date. Perhaps the third time will be the charm and I will remember the details afterwards. :grin:

I'm pretty sure the mechanism of how cancer works is well known. The causes to get it all started are fairly well known too, but obviously nothing is known that can stop it from happening. Malignancy is simply the reproduction cycle of a cell gone wild. In that altered state a cell puts out chemicals that short circuit the immune system's response. However, there are people who can and do fight it off naturally. It's possible that you are one of those folks. On the other hand all that asbestos has in my opinion contributed to the lung problems you are experiencing now. I believe the problem with asbestos is that it accumulates and does not get purged from the system. Some of those toxic chemicals known to cause cancer, however, do get filtered out over time. We are all different and respond to our environments to a large varying degree. I sometimes wonder if there is any person among the 8 billion of us that is perfectly healthy. It seems that everybody is dying from something. Even people who claim to be in perfect health have issues of one kind or another. I wonder if it is even possible to not have nay problems at all.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I forgot to mention something on my office temp from my reply a few minutes ago.
I had to replace my 14 year old window AC unit which is built into the wall up high.
The new one is now going on its 3rd year now, and I use it all year round.
It is an interesting AC unit for sure.
Normally, a thermostat does not work like a gas pedal, it is simply on and off within the 1 degree temperature swing it is set to.
But small devices don't exactly work like that. Like a portable heater you have to crank up as the temp drops outside.
But this AC, the thermostat does work like a gas pedal in a way. If you set it to automatic mode, the fan has three different speeds that it selects by itself, and also since the thermostat is inside the AC unit, the cold air in front of the unit can cause it to trigger on or off before the room is cool.
In any case, although it has a display as to what the temperature setting is, I go by the thermometers by my desk.
I start out in the morning with it set to 68, which is 78 degrees at my desk, but with the air from the AC hitting me, it don't actually feel that hot, wind chill is why. But as it gets hotter outside, I have to turn it down to 66 then wait and see if the temp at my desk goes down a degree or continues to go up. I actually like the thermometers at my desk to show 74 on the top one, and 76 on the lower one closest to me. I'm comfortable at those figures. I do watch the top one too, because if it gets down to 73 up there, I know the one by me might drop to 75, so this gives me time to turn the AC back up two degrees.
Like today, it is up to 89 degrees outside, so I have to have the AC set to 61 to keep it at 74/77 here at my desk.
I do wear a light coat up here, simply because without it, the cold air circling off the wall and down on my back makes me shiver at 77 degrees. This same air flow does hit that thermometer also.

At my old house, in the workshop area, I had an old Intermatic Timer Box that had a big relay inside, and a normal round Honeywell thermostat on the outside. It was placed on the wall about 2 feet in from the door, and a 6 foot long baseboard heater was on the opposite wall. Like I said with portable heaters, the onboard thermostat is never accurate due to the heat in the unit itself. So I turned the baseboard thermostat to high, and plugged the power end into the Intermatic box. This way it kept my workroom exactly at 72 degrees, which is where I liked it back then, hi hi.
I still have that 40 year old heater and used it in my office down here until the plug got messed up. Don't know what happened to my thermostat relay box though. It could be in a box somewhere around here I've never yet unpacked in 20 years, hi hi.

I'll rehash the wive's story another time, I'm out of time for today.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have very little confidence in the sensing devices that control temperature, or humidity for that matter. I never looked into it and the manufacturers never mention it, but just how accurate are those temperature control devices anyway? It costs a pretty penny to lab calibrate any decent sensor and that would be an unacceptable cost for most consumer appliances. So, I'm fairly certain there is no calibration performed on any home appliance. They buy the thermostat, or humidistat, from a vendor and take their word for accuracy.

When you get right down to it the temperature or humidity reading on the appliance is relative. It makes no difference how accurate the measurement is to be honest because that measurement only reflects what is going on in the immediate vicinity of the sensor. As you point out, the A/C says one thing but the thermometers on your desk say something entirely different. If you really need to know the absolute temperature or humidity your body experiences it is best to have the sensor only a few inches away from your skin. And I can't help smiling about the wind chill factor you mention. To me that and all those other indexes weather reporters like to use are as fictitious as the temperature reading on the front panel of your A/C unit. Wind chill depends on evaporation and its cooling effects. It's an assumed number in that it assumes everybody sweats at the same rate. Well, that is not the case. Likewise for heat. You may be comfortable at 77F but I would be comfortable at 74F. So what use is a "feels like" heat index? None.

My furnace, my space heater, and my humidifier are all regulated by off/on switches. The BTU's coming out of all of them is constant and does not vary. The temperature or humidity is regulated by the amount of time the device runs. Naturally the A/C would run longer if the ambient air is hotter. The temperature you set actually determines the time it takes the constant output of BTU's to reach that point. And, as I said, the time varies depending on the temperature differentials. The gas peddle in older cars did in fact regulate the amount of fuel being fed to the engine. The HP varied depending on how hard you pressed down on the peddle. Not so with your A/C. you can turn it down to 60F or up to 80F and the output will be the same. The time it runs will differ.

I have a combination temperature and humidity gauge sitting about two feet from me and this computer keyboard. The temperatures I am comfortable at range between 77 and 80 degrees. The humidity must be between 40 and 50 percent for me to be comfortable at those temperatures. In order to achieve that range the A/C and furnace thermostat is set to 78F. It sits there +/- 1 degree. The humidifier, however, must be set to 55% in the kitchen for me to get that 45% ideal in my command and control center two rooms away. I also have a small floor fan at the opposite wall from my computer. When the fan is on it does in fact add to the cooling effect of the A/C. I can deal with it during the daytime, such as right now when the outside temp is approaching 100F, but after dinner when the sun goes down I must turn off the fan or get the chills. Strange as it seems, the room temperature and humidity remains stable through all this.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have two pulse/oximeters, the cheapest one is slow to give a stable reading, suggested to wait 30 seconds, the mid-range priced one gives a stable reading when it displays, it may take as long as 10 seconds for it to display. I've compared them together, and with the doctors more expensive fingertip models, and the large hospital grade unit at the hospital, and they all give the exact same readings. So I think I can trust them to be close enough for my needs.

Now my blood tests are a different story. But the doc's test for A1C more or less tells him the readings I'm getting myself at home from the BG test strips are well withing acceptable tolerances. As those strips get old, I may use three or four of them and take an average, after I toss out an oddball reading one may give.

What is really inaccurate or the pulse readers on exercise equipment, they are never even close to what I really am. The one that requires two palms, one on each handle is the closest to accurate. But those I set my thumb on, like on the treadmill, are not even close, always half and/or double of what I really am, with a 30% error on a solid reading, hi hi.

I also have a blood pressure cuff, and that is usually right on with what I am when the doc is doing his. So I'm OK with that one too. The new one I got doesn't seem to be as accurate as the old one was, but then it was 100 bucks cheaper too.

The reason I'm certain my new AC when set to automatic mode works like a gas pedal is simple.
If I set it on 68 degrees, the thermometer over my computers reads 79, and in front of my desk 77, to my right hand 79, and behind my back 75, when it is 90 outside.
Now, if it worked like a thermostat, the compressor would not shut off until the temp was down to 68. But it does!
If I turn the thermostat down to 61 degrees, the compressor will keep running and it will bring the temp in here down to 74 at my right hand, 72 behind my back, 73 in front of the desk and 76 above the computers, at 90 degrees outside temp.
When I first got this AC, I would set it on 72 and find the temp in my office kept climbing when it shouldn't.

OK now, to be 100 % honest. If I put the AC on manual mode, and set it at 72 degrees, it will keep running, but the fan never switches up to high. The manual control only allows for fan settings of 1, 2, & 3. But the auto mode uses speeds of 2 and 4 or off.
You can laugh at my nonsense here, but I have plastic windmills, the toy type, hanging upside down on twin strings from the ceiling held in place with push pins. The twin strings keep them stable with the front facing toward the left AC outlet vent.
By trial and error, and extra pin holes in the ceiling, I got the first one placed so it spun when the AC fan was on #1. Then got the second one placed a little further away so it spun when the fan was on #2, but didn't if the fan was on #1. At first I figured it was a three speed fan, so got the third one put up.
But after switching the AC to automatic mode, I noticed even the third fan would spin a lot faster. So I added a fourth windmill up there. And the thing I noticed is if the fan is on, it is either spinning #1 & 2, but not #3, or, all four four of them.
Sometimes, #2 is a little slow to start spinning, but then once it does, it stays at its steady pace.

And here is one I know you will argue about. Putting a thermostat on a Fan. Namely one of those tall pole fans of about 18 inch diameter blades, called 2 foot fans because the shroud is around 2 feet wide.
Now I know for a fact that a Fan did not change the temperature of of my garage workshop back home.
But it only had one speed, on and off.
When the temperature inside the garage got up to 76 degrees, then the big fan would kick on.
And it would stay on until the temp in the garage got back down to 74, which was usually at night.
It didn't matter of the fan was blowing right at the thermostat or not, because the room temp stayed the same. Maybe hotter with that fan running because it pulled hot air down from the ceiling in the process of moving air.

Once I knew this worked the way I had planned. We had installed an attic ventilation fan in my dad's attic to help cut down his AC costs. He would turn it on if the outside temp was over 80 and turn it off when it dropped down again.
I built a thermostat for this fan with an 86 degree cartridge, in other words it was not adjustable, unless you changed cartridges. So if the attic temp got up to 86, that fan would kick on and blow the hot attic air down into the garage through the ceiling manhole. That was dad's idea to have the air exit there, although some of it went up through the roof vents. He tied little ribbons under that manhole so he knew if the fan was running or not, although you could feel the hot air yourself. He liked to know by looking through the small single garage window by the back door, hi hi.
What it told me was he did not have enough ceiling insulation in his attic, hi hi. But it did the trick as far as making his AC unit run a lot less. Although I don't really see how, since hot air rises, so the heat in the attic is moving up and out the vents.
I guess I should explain something, this was not a fan installed in the ceiling of the house, it was installed in a partition wall in the attic that separated the house area from the garage area, and set to blow from the house area to the garage area.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can't dispute much of what you say, but I did chuckle a bit reading about your windmills. I'm not surprised that you would do such a thing. You have a curious mind and need to understand things in your own peculiar way. Determining fan speed with windmills is pretty clever, but I can pretty much tell the speed of a fan by listening to it. In the case of my central air/heating system there is only one fan speed so that I have no reason to question it. The humidifier only runs in the colder months and it has three fan speeds. Sitting two rooms away from it I can tell at which level that fan is blowing just by the sound.

Furnaces and a/c compressors usually have only one rating in terms of BTU's. A BTU is the amount of energy it takes to change the temperature over a period of time. Thus the furnace and the a/c unit literally can only do one thing, which is put out so many BTU's of energy. There are multi stage furnaces and probably a/c units too but the same rule applies. Each furnace burner and each evaporator can only put out so many BTU's. It's all done with a single off/on switch. The unit is either running or not.

In most cases what determines when the heater or cooler runs is the thermostat. Those things are typically bifurcated metals that bend and come into contact at a certain temperature. They are spring loaded so that you can vary how much change in temperature it takes for them to make contact. Once the thermostat contacts close, the BTU generator turns on. When the ambient temperature at the thermostat reaches the desired level, the BTU generator turns of. It seems as if it's variable because you can set a specific temperature. That does indeed set the trip point, but the unit it controls is either full on or full off.

BTU's, by the way, are directly related to horsepower. The horsepower of your automobile engine has a max but it's output varies as you press the peddle to the metal. That is in contrast to what a full on or full off furnace or A/c unit does.

There are laws of physics that have to do with thermal dynamics, all of which go to explain why the air in your cubby hole is not uniformly warm, or cold. There are hot spots in your room and there are cold spots. What you are interested in is the air temperature at a very specific location, i.e., where you are sitting. The fan speeds and the thermostat settings you need to get that temperature are well known to you after many years of experimenting. The thermometer you have that is closest to you probably is the most accurate. The thermometers and sensors in a furnace or in an A/C unit do not have to be as accurate because all they do is turn the unit on or off. Thus I don't see the makers of these things being all too fussy about calibration. The measurement at your desk doesn't need to be accurate either. All you need to know is where the needle on the meter should be for you to feel comfortable. That dial can be numbers, alphabets, colors, or LCD digits. If 76 degrees F on your meter makes you happy, who really cares if the actual air temperature is 78.37F ? The people who make those devices certainly don't care.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, in the case of a window AC unit, and also portable space heaters. The thermostat is built into them.
I have the air from the Right vent blowing down on top of the computers, which means the cold air is also going down across the intake area of the AC unit. This didn't bother my last AC unit, but bothers this one a lot.
So what I did to help alleviate that problem, is instead of the downward facing flap from above the vent like was on my old AC with I never had to mess with, set the temp and forget it. On this unit I had to make a flap at both the top and bottom of the vent forming a flat tube of about 12 inches long. So the air blowing out of that vent is not going directly back into the AC unit. It blows strong enough when the fan is on high to blow dust and things off the top of the computers, and this is one reason I get so much air coming around the two upper monitors, down the wall and behind me as it circles down and across the wall behind me.
Basically, making the tube has allowed me to use a 66 to 68 degree setting, instead of the 61 to 63 degree setting I had to use before, and even then, if it got up to 90 outside, it was like 80 at my desk.
About 3 weeks ago, I added a single sheet of cardboard under the left vent, which I have pointed toward the left wall and up toward the ceiling. This has helped stabilize the temperature of the whole room a lot more. It is 74 degrees on that side of the room, or was. The remote thermometer I had over there has died, and new batteries didn't fix it. So I moved the remote I had in the garage to the area I had this one that broke and it too shows 74 almost all day long. It is always 2 degrees hotter at my desk, which is understandable, the backs of the computers face me, but are 5 feet away and blocked by the junk on my desk, hi hi.
If I took a picture of my desk and office the way it is right now, you would gasp in horror, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I understand that the thermostat sensor is internal in those portable heaters and a/c units. As I suggested above it really doesn't matter where it's located other than it being right in front of you where you need a particular temperature. From what I understand there is a little more than 20F differential between the input air temperature and the output temperature of air conditioning units. I guess freon, or whatever they are using these days, just can't get any colder than that. Thus it would seem reasonable to expect colder air at the output vents if the input air is also cold. All I know is when the guy comes out to check our system periodically he measures that temperature to be sure it's 20+F less than the ambient input.

You are going through a lot of trouble to get yourself comfortable in your cubicle and I'd not suppose any two portable a/c units would be the same. Each one has a different engineer behind the design and each year they must change something to reduce the costs. The air flow has to be a particular nightmare, but you seem to have that all figured out. You put a lot more effort into it than I would think is necessary. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although I only have two computers running right now, the Silver Yogi, and an ancient early Windows XP computer with no LAN working at all. When I had 8 of them running, it was necessary to have cold air blowing down on them or that corner area of the room would just keep getting hotter and hotter as the day wore on.
I wish I still had the big tall metal cabinet from back home with a door on the front.
I had a box fan mounted horizontal on the top of it, and a furnace filter in the bottom of it.
This kept all of my computers nice and clean. Perhaps that's why they lasted so long?

Well, I'll tell you something, I left the AC set on 68 today, and right now it is 84 degrees outside, 80 at my right shoulder, and 76 behind my back. I'm going to turn it down to 64 as soon as I'm done typing this, because I hear the compressor turning on and off. That should bring the temp down to 76 on my right shoulder.

Although I understand how HVAC systems work, all I'm interested now is my OWN comfort, hi hi.

At least I'm not as crazy as my Uncle Andy was, hi hi.
He built a shelf outside his garage for two window ACs to sit on.
He had ductwork from inside the garage going to the intake side of the first AC unit, then ductwork going from the output of the first AC unit to the input of the second AC unit, then ductwork from the output of second AC unit back into the garage.
The intake air was taken through the wall from the bottom left side of a 6 panel wide window, and returned through the wall at the upper side of the 6 panel window, and a ductwork ran along the ceiling and blew the air out of 4 different vents.
He used to boast about how cool his garage was using only two 4,000 btu AC units. And how fast it would cool down his garage when he went to work in the morning. He never did mention his electric bill though, hi hi.

My other uncle, Herb, who had a woodshop in a detached garage, had a nice normal package AC unit, like used on mobile homes sitting outside the back of his shop. I don't know how many btu's it was, but I'm sure it was up around 15,000 but, and his garage was never as cool as my uncle Andy could make his, hi hi.

My cousin George built a plastic box on his Massey-Ferguson tractor using Exolite greenhouse panels. Looked horrible. And placed an automotive AC system on the tractor as well. It worked fairly well, but not good enough. So somewhere he got a packaged AC unit, like the kind you see mounted on the front of a tractor trailer, trailer. Mounted this on the back of his plastic box behind him. Now he was happy with how cool it kept him when on the tractor, which was most of the time actually. He would try to do anything and everything using the tractor instead of the way normal people would do things.

And you think I'm crazy with all the things I try, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is a fine line separating craziness from genius, and sometimes I think you are walking that line. :lmao3:

I know I mentioned this before, and I'll say it again just in case you forgot. You and I are at the age where comfort is the reason for our being. Most of what we do is to keep us going until the next doctor's visit. And, as long as that seems to be the purpose of our existence, we might as well be comfortable in between visits. We both put a lot of effort into getting to this stage of life and we both deserve a little consideration. It just so happens that you have way more creativity than I ever will acquire, and you do things in ways that might seem odd. But they are practical and end up satisfying your needs to be comfortable. Amen to that idea.

As long as you don't exceed the melting point of the silicon chips in your computer, they should last forever. The power supplies and peripherals with moving parts have a limited life expectancy, but the mobo with all the chips in theory would last many centuries. Dust and dirt acts as an insulator and keeps the heat contained inside the components, which is not a good thing. The outside air might be cool and within specs, but the inside temps of those dirty chips could get dangerously high. Thus clean air that is constantly moving is a good idea for a bank of computers.

Uncle Andy had the right idea. As mentioned the A/C unit typically drops the output air by 20F lower than the input. So, when he was pumping cold air to the input of that 4000 BTU box, he was getting super cold air out. Obviously enough to cool down a garage. That is no trivial task.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You would not believe how dirty the computers get inside up here in my office.
This is why I try to open them all up once a year and blow them out, especially the CPU cooler fins.
They really are a dust magnet. And I wonder where all that dust comes from.
My office was so sealed up, that everything in here got coated with tar from smoking, before I installed the exhaust system at my ashtray. It looks corny, but gets all that smoke outside, and since it runs 24/7 when I'm not up here, it is pulling fresh air in and older dirty air out. Not a single problem with smoke residue on anything after I installed it. But I do have a lot of cobwebs in here, no matter how often I clean them up, and the dust instead of being tan in color like early on, is now usually light gray to white, like dust should be, hi hi. It also blows out of the machines a whole lot easier now too.

I have my office set up just the way I want it as far as comfort goes, and ergonomically correct so I don't get health issues from not sitting properly.
But I do wish I would have kept my old steel cabinet with the fan on top and furnace filter on the bottom, it held 6 full-sized computers with ease, and kept them all clean and cool running.
The only reason I didn't take it with me when I moved was it was old, dented up, and HEAVY when empty.
I had planned on building a new one down here, more like a computer closet. But with all that went on, plus trying to renovate the house, and having two heart attacks, well, that pretty much put a damper on my plans.

I could write a book on all the crazy things my uncle Andy has done over the years.
But he is also the reason I learned how to do many things I probably would have never figured out on my own, at least not in my early years as an older teen anyhow. What he basically showed me is it is not crazy to try something, and if it doesn't work, you just know of yet another way that don't work to add to your arsenal of things you have tried.
When you get something to work and do what you want, you don't stop, just keep figuring out ways to improve it even further.
His advice as served me well over the years.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Just what is dust anyway?
it's mostly made of dead skin cells, dust mites, dead insect particles, soil, pollen, tiny plastic particles, bacteria, hair, and clothing fibers," explains Natalie Barrett of Nifty Cleaning Services.
Dust is made of fine particles of solid matter. On Earth, it generally consists of particles in the atmosphere that come from various sources such as soil lifted by wind (an aeolian process), volcanic eruptions, and pollution. Dust in homes is composed of about 20–50% dead skin cells.
It's freaky to think that up to 50% of the dust in your office could be dead skin cells, but that could explain why what you see now is white and gray. I'm not sure where the dust mites come from or if it is possible to get rid of them, but that too seems like a freaky thing to have coating all the furniture. My keyboard has a lot of flakes and hair particles between its keys so that I have an idea where that comes from. Some of those flakes are pretty big which seems odd to me. I knew that I shed my skin but didn't think it was in flakes I could actually see. Apparently when you got rid of the tobacco smoke, or most of it, you only removed part of the dust's origins. I know you run a pretty tight ship there but it's obviously not air tight. I'm thinking you would suffocate if it were. Thus you are getting some of the junk from outside your office, some of which could be from volcanoes and deserts on other continents.

I have a wooden cabinet with a glass door from about 50 years ago when I bought my first component stereo system. It would make a perfect enclosure for a computer if I ventilated it properly. I've thought about using it for the next computer I build and loading it with those nerdy type LED and neon lights you see in gaming computers. The top of this cabinet is hinged because that is where the turntable used to be. That would be an awesome location for the mobo and any expansion cards. Plus, this cabinet is on casters. I could move it to any spot that is convenient. The only problem is finding some place to put all the junk I have in there now. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Part of the white dust is still from when I had my Cockatoo up here. He had so much dander it made my office look like it snowed in here. That's why he had to go back to the house, permanently. But then I gave him to one of Debi's cousins.

Air still got into my office under the door, and in from the AC unit when running. But still there was no air exchanger until I built my smoke remover ashtray. At the time I first made it, it had a 65 cu. ft. min. squirrel cage blower. I replaced that motor so many times I got tired of doing it, so added an in-line box fan in the tubing run. This was actually better because I didn't get the blowback from the blower making a tornado in the main exhaust intake area, hi hi.

At the computer store, while it was still owned by the old guy, there was a huge picture on the wall of a computer cabinet made by one of their clients. It was made from both Walnut and Maple lumber and finished like fine cabinetry. The components in this tall cabinet were not exactly what you would call rack-mounted, but they were on slide out shelves. None of the motherboards were in a cabinet, they were mounted to these slide out shelves so almost look like rack-mounted.
I think what made it interesting is it did have two glass doors, and upper and a lower, and between them is where he had mounted his CD and floppy drives, and a push button panel, but what it did I don't know. The only corny thing about it was, he used rope lights on the inside running around the inside of the frame, but you could still see them for what they were, ugly rope lights, hi hi.