Receiving the tradition season...

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
ocelotl

Receiving the tradition season...

Post by ocelotl »

I've been thinking to wait a bit more to include some traditions here, but I was reminded that the season has already begun. May this text be an introduction of the intentions. Unknown author.
El frío llegó para recordarme que ya vas a venir a verme.
Te he esperado mucho tiempo y ahora los días pasan serenos.
Tu ya comenzaste tu caminata, yo ya empecé a preparar todo
Que no falte tu mole, tu dulce de camote, que no falten tus tamales, tu atole.
Que no falte tu jarro de pulque, que no falte tu veladora, que no falte tu chocolate.
Y el cempasuchil que tanto te gustaba ahora se convirtió en tu perfume, y viene la brisa a embriagarme con el y sabe a ti y a nosotros.
Que no falte nada en tu altar, aunque aquí a mi lado faltas tú. Falta tu sonrisa al despertar, falta tu consejo sabio, falta tu manera de hacer mejor mi día.
Falta tu voz, falta tu valentía, faltan tu ganas de comerte el mundo, falta todo, faltas tú.
Ya vienes, y yo acá te espero siempre💐💐💐

The cold came to remind me that you are coming to see me.
I've waited for you for a long time and now the days are passing by serenely.
You've already started your walk, I've already started to prepare everything for you.
So you don't miss your mole, your sweet potato jam, so you don't miss your tamales, your atole.
So you don't miss your jar of pulque, so you don't miss your candle, so you don't miss your chocolate.
And the cempasuchil that you liked so much now became your perfume, and the breeze comes to intoxicate me with it and it tastes like you and us.
May nothing be missing from your altar, although here by my side you are missing. Your smile is missing when I wake up, your wise advice is missing, your way of making my day better is missing.
Your voice is missing, your courage is missing, your desire to eat the world is missing, everything is missing, you are missing.
You're coming, and I'm always waiting for you here💐💐💐💐💐
yogi

Re: Receiving the tradition season...

Post by yogi »

I'm not familiar with the writing you quote, but it reminds me of the Greek mythological story of Persephone, the Queen of the Underworld, and the wife of Hades. I believe she represents fertility and spring time when nature comes back to life after a long winter's sleep. Hades only gets to be with her when the rest of nature is asleep. "The cold came to remind me that you are coming to see me" could have been written by him. :grin:
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

That's a good reference... It adds to the syncretism of the "Day of the Dead" traditions, as we understand them down here. I found this published in Zuckereberger's site.

See, the "Day of the dead" was an introduction from the Spanish priests and conquerors, that happened to be hold along the native harvest festivities. Both traditions merged during the colonial times and evolved in today's altar and prayers remembering our deceased ones for the November 1st and 2nd.

There are also related stories about the pilgrimage of the souls to return to commemorate the day with the living ones, they somehow parallel the preparations made to prepare the celebration and the altars.

Found this to set you in the mood.

https://dayofthedead.holiday/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/trav ... ead-mexico

* Edition *

Found the author. Under the pen name "Hija de la bordada", on Zuckerberger's site.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Somewhere in my distant past I've heard of the Day Of The Dead. It was probably from my daughter who is a bilingual (Spanish/English) teacher at a public school near Chicago. Most, but not all, the kids in her class are from Mexico so that she is a most likely source of my memory. While I no longer consider myself a Catholic, there is a church holiday on November 1st which is called All Saints Day. It's a day when all the saints in heaven who don't have a day of their own during the calendar year get recognized. The next day, November 2nd, is considered All Souls Day but does not have the official Christian Holiday status. Like All Saints Day the follow up All Souls day is a catch all day that recognizes every spirit that didn't earn a dedicated holiday of their own. I don't know how it's all related, but the Celtic celebration that we call Halloween is the day before these two Christian events. Halloween, of course, was celebrated to chase away all the evil spirits that might be roaming around loose. All three days have a theme based on death and in retrospect are kind of morbid. Reading the articles you offered shows a much different and not morbid at all story. I could not read the National Geographic story without allowing them to spam me in the future. Unfortunate, but I get the idea behind the Day of the Dead.

The Day of the Dead and surrounding holidays is not related to the mythology of Persephone. Persephone was in fact considered a goddess of the underworld who would return back to earth every spring. Greek myths predate Christianity by a few thousand years so that it is possible one grew out of the other. It's all pretty interesting regardless.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

In retrospect, the development of such traditions can be traced to the development of Stoic philosophy, both from the side of the Greeks permeating through Romans and then to all the Mediterranean cultures, and on the other side, from all the natives that populated the whole of North America, and we also have to remember Nahuatlacan tribes (Toltecs, Colhuas, Tepanecans, Texcocans, Tenayucans, Aztecs) that settled in the Valley of Mexico since the 10th century to the Conquest can trace their origins to branches of the tribes of what today is the US southwest.

We have to try conceiving the inner struggle of somebody saying:
Yo, Nezahualcóyotl, lo pregunto:
¿Acaso de veras se vive con raíz en la Tierra?
No para siempre en la Tierra:
sólo un poco aquí.
Aunque sea de jade se quiebra,
aunque sea de oro se rompe,
aunque sea plumaje de quetzal se desgarra.
No para siempre en la Tierra:
sólo un poco aquí.

I, Nezahualcotoyl, ask this:
Do we really live with a root on the Earth?
Not forever in the Earth:
just for a while here.
Even when it's made of jade it cracks,
Even when it's made of gold it breaks,
Even when it's made of quetzal feathers it tears,
Not forever in the Earth:
just for a while here.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The author you quote tells some truth. But it is not the whole story. As a man of science you must know about the conservation of matter and energy. That is to say each quantity remains constant. Thus when a human is born it truly is composed of the elements of earth. After a lifetime of interaction with the planet the human body loses life and decomposes back to its elemental form. So The Bible is correct in some respects to suggest that we are dust and to dust we shall return. I could speculate about the origins of the dust, such as being disintegrated meteors from some alien world. Regardless the laws of physics still apply. Matter and energy remain constant.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

We have to be conscious that such excerpt may have been deformed by translation, and that it was written probably around 1450, by someone that had no reference to the Mediterranean cultures, and as such the intention was to remind the limits of human life. Part of our consciousness relays on the fact that we are aware of our own mortality. The concept of life is the foundation upon al Biochemistry is built, and it shows that it is way more complex, due to its relation with the carbon and water cycles over the Earth.

In many cultures the confrontation with death is taken differently, we try to comfort ourselves thinking that somehow we can transcend our death, by our legacy, be it our family, our work or our influence. Burial ceremonies are part of the various cultures of the world, and our thoughts about the afterlife form part of our religions.

The mexican traditions, as well as those from all over the world, are a mixture (syncretism, it's called), from the uses and customs inherited from the natives mixed with the traditions brought mainly from Spain, that are, in their own way, a mixture from Greek, Roman, Catholic and Arabic traditions... thus, the "day of the dead" traditions are mainly religious, but with festive touches.

The commemoration is centered upon the feast and altar prepared to receive the souls of the departed relatives. The welcome is done on the afternoon of October 31st, remembering those that died while still being children, and at the afternoon of November 1st, there is a second welcome to receive the adult relatives. On November 3rd, the altar can be dismounted and the feast can be eaten since the souls of the relatives have already taken their share of the feast. See, the point of doing a ceremony start at sunset clearly has a middle east origin, as the religious ceremonies of Jews and Muslims. The prayers and candles recited for the celebration and the altars can be traced to Catholic, and to Roman and Greek altars. The Marigold or Cempasuchil, while being mexican, can also relate with the flower paths of Greeks and Romans. The amalgamation of it all with the creativity and cultural background is what have transformed the tradition into something more of a commemoration than merely a mourning celebration or a chase of evil spirits.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Learning about the Day of the Dead appeals to my curiosity and to my intellectual senses. It fascinates me to learn about the many ways people deal with their mortality. For me the meaning and purpose of life is simple. It simply is "to be" whatever it is we have become. As you point out coming face to face with the reality that our conscious existence is finite can be devastating for self-aware beings. The idea of "to be" should have no end. Thus all the rituals, celebrations, beliefs, and myths in every culture are founded on the idea of perpetual life.

Most folks are satisfied realizing the above. There are folks, however, who seek to understand concepts with deeper roots. Consciousness, for example, is all around us but remains the mystery of the ages. What is consciousness exactly and where is it? Is it merely the result of chemical interactions in the organ of the brain or is it something external to the human body? Should it be something outside the human psyche, then consciousness relates directly to the human spirit or soul, which satisfies the need to exist forever. But the origins of consciousness can be as simple as the reaction of organic compounds reacting with each other. What fun is that, being just a bag of chemicals that ultimately succumbs to the entropy of the universe? Well, I have my own ideas and the rest of humanity has theirs. The way those ideas are expressed individually, socially, and culturally fascinates me.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

To continue to post about the background of the tradition, and the way a cultural group faced mortality, this time I'm going to post about the Mythological vision of the Aztecs of the universe. Taking into account that this conception had no reference from European myths. Personally, although I'm also conscious of the way thoughts are formed by chemical and electrical reactions within the brain, the way we try to foresee things to be ahead in the survival game that is life have somehow sophisticated in several species, including ours, to glimpse beyond merely hunting or preying on the next meal... It's fascinating realizing how much we depart form the hunter/collector traits and have generated what we call culture. Let's go exercise the tongue with a load of mouthful words.

For the Aztecs, the universe was divided in 13 superior strata, the world where we live in, and 9 inferior strata, so, they had the belief that the final resting place of the place where the deceased would go would be determined by the way the person died, rather than by the actions taken during the life of the individual. Among the places where the inhabitants of the Mexico lake bowl believed the deceased would go were:

Omeyacan. It was the place presided by Huitzilopochtli, the main god for the Aztecs, and god of war. In this place, only those that died in combat, hte ones that died in ritual sacrifice and the women that died in labor. For the Aztecs, the women that died while delivered a newborn was considered at the same level as a warrior that died while fighting and had the privilege of accompany the Sun from its rise to the sunset. For the Aztecs, going to the Omeyacan after dying was a great honor reserved only for a few fortunate individuals.

Tlalocan. It was the place presided by Tlaloc, the god of rain, where we could find all those whose death was related with water, as the drowned, those that were hit by lightning, and those that had a disease as gout, scabies, hydropecia (Water retention in some organs), and the children sacrificed in honor to Tlaloc so the rains were not scarce. In that place the inhabitants enjoyed abundance and rest.

Mictlan. That was the destiny for people that died of natural causes, and where the vast majority of the souls of the deceased went. It was presided by the couple formed by Mictlantecuhtli and Mictecacihuatl, the lord and lady of the place of the dead ones. To get there, the soul of the recently dead had to travel for four years from the moment of the death. It was a very dark place, from which it was not possible to get out, very far to the north, and was composed of 9 levels.

1. Apanohuaia or Itzcuintlan. There was a very fast flowing river. The only way to cross it was with the help of Xolotl. If the dead person had not been good to any dog, this would be its destination for the rest of eternity.

2. Tepectli Monamictlan. The place where the hills collided which each other. Let´s remember that there were just "Tepetl" as the word for naming any prominence, be it "Chapultepetl", "The grasshopper hill" or "Popocatepetl" "the hill that smokes".

3. Iztepetl. Knife hill, place bristling with flints.

4. Izteecayan. A place where the razor wind blows, a place with a mountain range composed of eight hills and copious snowfalls.

5. Paniecatacoyan. The place where the bodies float as flags; it was at the foot of the last hill of the Izteecayan, and it was the point where a desert zone began, that comprised eight wasteland areas that had to be crossed.

6. Timiminaloayan. A place where they shoot arrows; a path on whose sides invisible hands send out sharp arrows and riddle the passers-by.

7. Teocoyocualloa. A place where wild beasts feed on hearts. In this passage, a wild beast opened the chest of the deceased to eat his heart, since without this organ, the person fell into a puddle where he was fiercely pursued by an alligator.

8. Izmictlan Apochcalolca. The blinding foggy road, where nine rivers had to be forded to reach the place where the final resting place awaited the soul of the deceased.

9. Chicunamictlan. Here, the souls found the desired rest. It was the deepest of the places of the lords of the death.

The burial ritual for such journey consisted on being buried with a dog, to help the deceased person cross a river and reach Mictlantecuhtli, to which the deceased must give an offering made of firebrands and scent canes, cotton (ixcatl), colored threads and mantles. Those that were going to the mictlan received an offering of four arrows and four firebrands tied with cotton thread.

Mictecacihuatl had as a purpose to look after the bones of the deceased, besides she presided over the festivities to honor the deceased that lasted two months.

Around July 16th the festivity for the deceased little ones or Miccailhuitntli was commemorated, it began with the cut in the forest of a tree called xocotl, from which the bark was taken off, and it was adorned with flowers. Everyone participated in the celebration and the tree received offerings for twenty days.

Around August 5th, the festivity for the adult deceased or Ueymicailhuitl was commemorated, when they said that the xocotl fell down. In this commemoration there were processions held that concluded in rounds around the tree. It was a custom to sacrifice a few persons and make big feasts. Afterwards they danced dressed with precious feathers and rattles, and at the end of the commemoration the young people climbed up the tree to take down a commemorative figure placed at the top an the xocotl was taken down to finish the commemoration.

It also was a use during this festivities, that the people raised altars to remember their dead relatives.

The dates refer to the middle of the summer, but, with the catholic evangelization, the festivities were moved to match the "All saints" and "faithful dead ones" commemoration of the catholic church, but preserving some of the rituals an adding others, as I posted previously.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thank you, Juan, for that explanation of the Aztec Universe. As a Christian the path to an eternal resting place was much shorter and a lot less complicated. I don't recall seeing a mention of how long it takes the soul to get to heaven, hell, or limbo. But that's it. There are no other choices and god is the judge who determines where your soul spends eternity.

The Aztec mythology suits the environment in which they lived. I'm not sure why so much attention was paid to dogs, but apparently they were an important part of society. The casual sacrificing of human beings is also a bit startling especially in the context of today's heated discussions about things like abortion. Life is sacred, so the thinking goes today, but the Aztecs apparently had a different perspective. Perhaps that explains why they are not still among us.

The change in timing of the celebration of the dead is interesting. I've read where the birth of Christ as related in the Bible could not have occurred in December. That change of time seems to coincide with the winter solstice which was not a particularly Christian celebration. Apparently those Europeans favored the Fall Season for some reason.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Maybe the idea behind the attention to dogs had more than one reason. As there were no beef, pork, lamb or chicken cattle, the protein sources had to be different from those that Europeans had. Apart of serving as company and hunting animals, dogs were also raised as a protein source, along with iguanas, rabbits and hueyxolotls. Venison was also consumed, but as far as I've read that was restricted to the elite of the society.

The tale of the journey to the eternal rest place makes one thing of a pilgrimage to a distant land... hills, rivers, deserts, frozen wind... darkness and pointing that such place was to the north somehow mimics a foot journey to Canada or Alaska... It's only a guess from my part.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Death and frigid cold seem to be compatible ideas. The temperature average in the universe is well below what we have here on earth. It's probably well suited to a spirit which has no body. Thus, in a strange kind of way, it makes sense to think the final journey would be to a place that is dark and frigid. I don't know what the Aztecs knew about Canada, if anything, but I have a feeling they had some pretty good ideas about the universe in general.

Your reasoning for the importance of dogs in Aztec life sounds, well, reasonable. We don't eat dogs or horses here, but there is no logical reason not to. The Hindus in India don't eat beef, and again for no logical reason. There are places that rely on insects for food which happen to be high in protein. I think it's just a matter of what's readily available in the environment. Traditions and taboos arise out of that.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Literary calaverita, just for the heck of it.
Reflecting on the passing of the years,
was the bald one weeping her sorrow tears
looking at the results of the work she did
after the sweeping over the whole world grid.

Yet many people keep resisting and standing.
Using their hope, common sense and best efforts
to remain on their labors and keep fighting
helping humanity get on their feet without retorts

This goes as a season homage in this day of the dead
as a reminder of all of our loved ones that perished
and a supporting voice for those that keep going ahead
and as a memorial to avoid this moment to get vanished.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

According to who you ask, the commemoration is centered on the November 1st and 2nd, but there are extended celebrations in several places, having an extended calendar that goes like this. Note that it is not restricted to a single night, nor it forgets those that have no family that remembers them.
October 28th

The day with which the ritual of celebrations begins is October 28, which celebrates those who died in accidents and were never able to reach their destination, or those who died a violent death.

October 29th

October 29 is dedicated to all those who died by drowning.

October 30th

The third day honors the lonely and forgotten souls, which include criminals and orphans.

October 31st

It is for all those who are in limbo, those who were never born or were not baptized.

November 1st and 2nd

These are the biggest days of our Day of the Dead festivities.

The 1st is dedicated to the little angels, which refers to children.

The "día mayor" or "big day" is November 2, which seeks to honor all adults.

Once these days are over, most Mexican families begin to raise their ofrendas on November 3, concluding the celebration, waiting until the following year to receive their deceased.
Other source that is rolling through Zuckerberger's states this:
October 28th.
The first candle is lit, and a white flower is set to receive the lonely souls.

October 29th.
A second candle is lit, and a glass of water is set, dedicated to forgotten and forsaken dead ones.

October 30th.
A third candle is lit, another glass of water is set, and a white bread is set for the dead ones that died without eating or that died in an accident.

October 31st.
A fourth candle is lit, another glass of water and another white bread is set, and a fruit. This is for the ancestors, meaning great grandparents and great great grandfathers.

November 1st.
All saints day. date when the little angels arrive, the the souls of those that died while being children. On this day the day of the death feast is set on the altar.

November 2nd.
Known as the faithful dead day. the souls of the adult dead ones arrive to pick and eat the offerings set by the family in the altar. Copal incense is burnt, and a path formed with cempasuchil petals is set.

November 3rd.
The last white candle is lit. Copal incense is burnt, a farewell to the souls of our deceased ones is said and a request to return the next year. The offering is retired, and the family can eat form it.
* Edit * Correction and adition of another calendar.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It looks like the commemoration ceremonies start tomorrow, Thursday. It all seems very elaborate from up here and not at all related to the Trick R Treat crowd I'll be entertaining on Sunday. I had to look it up and was very impressed with this video La Santa Cecilia - Calaverita It explains a lot.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

A L.A. party held for the occasion... Quite entertaining, and yes, it explains a lot. An user had the time to write down the lyrics.
Si el corazón me acompaña
Quiero invitar al tiempo
Para que me abran las puertas
Me arrulle en los recuerdos
Esos que abrazan el alma
Y abren el sentimiento
Oh oh

Cuando toco ese pañuelo
Las penas se despiden
Puedo abrazar a mi abuelo
Pa que jamás se olvide
Que hasta las nubes lo quiero
Aunque en el cielo vive
Oh

Para el altar tengo flores
Naranjas pa mi mezcal
Todititas tus pasiones
Quiero celebrar

Calaca la calavera calaverita
Enciendes una velita
En mi corazón
Calaca la calavera la noche invita
Los muertos bailan con mi canción

Yo no le temo a la muerte
Porque ella es parte mía
Nació conmigo y conmigo
Se irá algún día
Por ella estamos de fiesta
Toda la vida
Oh oh

Que salga a mover la pata
Esa huesuda
Con la tía buena y la mala
Bajo la luna
Los vivos y los difuntos
Celebran juntos
Oh

Para el altar tengo flores
Naranjas pa mi mezcal
Todititas tus pasiones
Quiero celebrar

Calaca la calavera
Calacala calavera calaverita
Enciendes una velita
En mi corazón

If the heart accompanies me
I want to invite time
To open the doors for me
To lull me in the memories
Those that embrace the soul
And open the feeling
Oh oh

When I touch that handkerchief
The sorrows say goodbye
I can hug my grandfather
So that he never forgets
That I love him to the clouds
Although he lives in heaven
Oh

For the altar I have flowers
Oranges for my mezcal
All your passions
I want to celebrate

Calaca la calavera calaverita
You light a candle
In my heart
Calaca la calavera the night invites
The dead dance to my song

I'm not afraid of death
Because she is part of me
She was born with me and with me
She will go away someday
For her we party
All our lives
Oh oh

Let her come out and shake her leg
That bony one
With the good aunt and the bad aunt
Under the moon
The living and the dead
Celebrate together
Oh

For the altar I have flowers
Oranges for my mezcal
All your passions
I want to celebrate

Calaca la calavera
Calacala calavera calaverita
You light a candle
In my heart
It's more like an spiritual remembrance commemoration, the altars in government offices and public spaces are being set up by now. Reforma's Curb has been filled with cempasuchil flowers, and Xochimilco florists have said that they expect to sell 3 million pots this year, just for the metropolitan area of Mexico City. There's also the inclusion of giving treats to the children, which in the late '70s used to be more fruit, and then candy... Dad never liked the idea of us getting out to ask for candies... "If you want candy, next time we go to to get groceries ask for what you want" was always his reply, and since we weren't too fond of candies, it usually was something small.

The cemeteries get to be visited the most during this time of the year. Wild cempasuchil blossoms beautifully all over them, and families clean and adorn the sepulchers. For long time, it was an use to let the cemeteries open around the clock from the opening time on October 31st to closing time on November 2nd. My great grandmother, maternal grandmother of my mother, used to say that such practice was suspended in the '30s or '40s since there were drunkards that used to dance above the tombs.

Not everybody complies with the whole lists that I cited, mostly the commemoration is centered on November 1st and 2nd. My greatuncles that live in the sierra of the Hidalgo Huasteca, set their altar and cempasuchil petal path on October 31st, say welcoming prayers and lit the candles, say prayers on November 1st, thanking the visit of the souls, and on sunset, November 2nd, say prayers to farewell the visiting souls and retire the altar.

Most recent additions to the ceremony are the inclusion of the Alebrije parade and the Spectre parade.

Alebrijes are imagined fantasist animals created by an Oaxacan artisan some thirty years ago, that represent either mascots or monsters created in dreams or imagination. At first the creator didn't appl much coloring on them, which made them look dull. Later he began adding strambotic and flamboyant colors that made them more attractive. Since the idea was a hit, every year, there's a contest held by the Mexico City government to show the best Alebrijes of the year. The participants are judged and participate in a parade, and then are exposed along the side curbs of Reforma Avenue between Vicky (The Winged Victory, or the Ángel de la Independencia) and Diana (The Northern Arrow woman, or Huntress Diana).

The latest addition was due to the filming of the beginning of 007 series movie "Spectre" that I posted about in other thread, in which they show a chase held within a "Day of the dead parade" that was non existent by that time. Since Mexico City government saw it was successful, and not too whitewashing for tourism, it was added as part of the Day of the dead commemoration.

I refrained to talk about certain animated movies, one sponsored by Guillermo del Toro, and other from the house of the mouse. Even when all the references appeal to the Mexican market, their plot holes just keep growing when being analyzed having the correct background.

I'll let another related videos here. Hasta los huesos

and, the best related movie, base on Grimms Brothers "Godfather Death" inspired Bruno Traven story, subtitled in English. Macario.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The Day of the Dead is a remarkable holiday. It seems to be an important part of the Mexican culture, or that is the conclusion I can draw from the videos here. I appreciate the time and effort you took to explain it all. It's not as morbid as I once thought, and I can see how it would be comforting to actively do something to bond with those souls who have departed. All my life death had a mystic and unknown connotation. It could be frightening not knowing what comes next. Mexicans solved that problem by turning the afterlife into one big party. What a brilliant idea! :grin:
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

It seems that the bug to explain the evolution of the "Day of the dead" tradition did not only hit me. I just found a link to a related article published by an American of Mexican ancestry. He researched from colonial chronicles to round an explanation about how commercialized this tradition has turned over the course of centuries, first by Catholic church, and then by tourism industry. I found it worthy of adding a link to it here, to round the subject.

https://theconversation.com/how-commerc ... ead-170428
yogi

Día de los Muertos

Post by yogi »

Thank you for the link to that article, Juan. Reading it reminded me that the practice of capitalism is not a modern invention nor is it's roots planted in an American economy. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of it all is not the commercialism but the fact that a totally normal human process, death, is being exploited. The same type of exploitation occurs at Easter and also centers around the idea of death. Howver, perhaps the grandest celebration is that of birth which coincides with Christmas. This certainly is a Christian invention, but it is centuries old and is celebrated on all the continents of the world in many different cultures. Even the most unlikely people, Jews, celebrate Christmas. I suppose the beginning of life and then death are the most significant events for all living creatures. They certainly deserve a celebration of some sort. Commercializing those things, however, does indeed seem blasphemous.