Really Old

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Really Old

Post by yogi »

When we sold our last house I had an inspector look it over before I put it up for sale. I wanted to fix anything major in order to minimize the hassle that would be inevitable if the buyer's inspector found something. I got top dollar for the house, but probably still lost money given all the repairs I had put into it before putting it on the market. Anyway, one of the more amazing discoveries was all the cracks in the concrete foundation. I was told as long as they are vertical, it's ok. Horizontal cracks are a red flag. We had a few and apparently epoxy is the remedy for those. Each and every window in the basement had cracks in the concrete at their corners. I was told that is normal but could not believe concrete would do that. The house was about 25 years old when we sold it, and frankly I only noted one of the many cracks that were discovered. The basement floor in that house had a lot of cracks but that was due to the way it was poured. The general contractor did it himself and was not a master at concrete. The house I'm living in today has a concrete basement floor with lines placed at specific distances. The builder told me they did that to control where the cracking occurs. Sure enough the slab split in the creases, just as happened on the driveway. The guys who did my old house were not familiar with that technique. So, it's not just poor quality concrete going around these days. It takes some skill to do it right.

I don't know much about driving OTR for a living, but I thought the driver was paid whether the trailer was full or empty. I can imagine an empty trailer would be harder to control because it acts like a sail boat instead of an oil barge. LOL Then again, I could be wrong.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Most folks love a bright white basement, which is one reason I always used White Medusa on the basement walls.
In some cases, where the basement walls were made of stone. I would simply coat the entire basement with that PM-30 mix I was telling you about. It worked great on walls and was fairly easy to apply. You can do the same thing with white sand mortar too. Then when it is done, you can leave it looking like concrete, or spray a coat of white sealer on it.
All cast iron pipe got a thin coat of ABS black sealant on them, and in a few cases, we painted all the cold water pipes blue, the hot water pipes red, and all gas lines either green or orange.
Also back then we had a product known as Targinol, which was mainly used for the pour chip floors. But we would mix cement in it and use that to coat a basement or garage floor. Looked nice and would easily last 25 or 30 years of heavy abuse too.

No you have it right. An empty trailer can blow over real easy. A lot of surface area on the sides to catch the wind.
If we did have to pull an empty trailer back, one could usually find a company with a load for someone with a trailer. The only thing is, the trailer is not usually yours or the company you are driving for.
FWIW: Most of the places I hauled for paid by the load, not by the miles, although miles were a part of how they determined what they were paying. Contract hauling is usually by the mile, and often has a LOT of sitting time while waiting to get loaded or unloaded. Until you build up seniority with a company, you usually get the shitty inner city deliveries too.
Like I got when I was driving a bus for several months, hi hi. Glad that was back in the 80's and not today, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are right about the white basement walls being eye appealing. The old basement was unfinished and the washer/dryer was put down there next to the furnace along with some roughed in plumbing in case we wanted to put a toilet down there. We didn't. All that took up about 1/3rd of the entire basement. Since my wife would spend a certain amount of time down there I decided to paint the concrete white. I knew nothing about how to do that other than what Kilz paint primer. I bought a couple gallons for that one third of the basement but that barely covered one of the walls. LOL I don't recall exactly what it took but it was likely more than 5 gallons of paint to cover about 70 linear feet of concrete wall. I got some self sticking tiles on sale and a can of leveling compound. Put the tiles on top of the leveling and they stuck for the whole 25 years we lived there. Only two or three came loose over that period. That brightened things up considerably and my wife was very happy. It was quite a contrast to the dark gray for the decor of the rest of the basement. We always received compliments about how nice that corner of the basement looked. However, the people who bought the house from us were not impressed. They made a laundry room out of one of the upstairs bedrooms.

A few of the truckers I talked to complained about the time they were allowed to drive. I guess there are laws restricting the number of hours, or something. The big complaint was that they could not always get their load to its destination at the expected time. Apparently on time delivery was part of the agreements.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It can get complicated, because there is the 8 hour rule, the 10 hour rule, the 14 hour rule, and even a special 15 hour rule.
And if you are pulling a government load, the rules don't apply, which is how I drove non-stop for 18 hours, on two different occasions. In many cases, your on-the-clock-time is counted as driving time also. So is your off-the-clock-time in some instances also counted. The 10 hour rule is 10 driving 7 sleeping, the 14 hour rule is 14 driving 10 sleeping. Also on the 14 hour rule, a 2 hour break does not always count toward not driving time. But you can drive for an accumulation of 14 hours if you record starting and stopping times and claiming you were resting in the sleeper for over 1 hour but under 2 hours. Strange rules!

My brother used joint compound on the walls of his basement, then painted that with primer first, and then glossy white paint. He made a pattern in it that was pleasing. Those who bought his house liked it!