WWW Code For Sale as NFT

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: WWW Code For Sale as NFT

Post by yogi »

I'm sorry to learn about your glasses' accelerated state of entropy. LOL
You are one of the most creative persons I know, and I'm sure you will soon have a way to mend you spectacles.
May I offer you some high adhesion duct tape?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It's the way they were made that surprised me.
Every pair of glasses I've owned that had metal frames instead of plastic were soldered or welded together.
I could repair most of them with a fine tip soldering iron when they came apart.
But this pair has lens holders that are glued to the front frame that hold the earpieces, and their glue came undone.
I just got a few small clamps out, to hold them back together and some of the cheap slow drying super glue.
I sure miss having glues like Jet or Hot Stuff to work with. They dried so fast they smoked!
In any case, they are fixed now and are holding together, hi hi.

Speaking of glasses. My wife had a pair of glasses that really surprised me.
They only had the top part of the frame and a nose piece in the center.
The lenses were held in place with mono-filament fishing line.
But they were rigid mounted somehow. I think the top end of the lens fit into a slot maybe.
My grandmother had a pair of glasses that had no frame at all.
A nose piece was hooked between the two lenses, and the earpieces were connected to the other side of the lenses.
This was done through holes drilled in each side of the glass lenses.

A fellow I worked with many eons ago had a pair of Franklin style glasses, square lenses with beveled corners.
He got more compliments on those glasses, yet no eyeglass place around us could make them.
And he would not tell where he had them made, or the cost, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've seen people with glasses that appear to have no frame. I guess they work just as well as the conventional style, and I also guess they do not cost any less sans framework. Thus, what's the point? Just a styling statement I suppose. I currently own a pair of Harry Potter style glasses. I didn't know that at the time I bought them. They were just the best looking frames in the store. My old pair has much larger lenses and a wire frame. Sometimes the lens pops out of the wires, but that's due to the screw holding the upper and lower parts of the frame becoming loose. All I need to do is tighten the screw to fix the problem. They would not make lenses for my wire frames. Apparently all the frames they sold have specific lens styles that are easy to make on their particular equipment. Mine didn't fit the profile. All this was done at a private shop. In previous lives I went to those One-Hour places where the selection and the prices were much better. I would have no idea where to go if I wanted a pair of Franklin glasses. Maybe Juan would be able to help. He is pretty good at making his own lenses. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I once bought a pair of glasses where the frames were made of wood.
It used a standard shape of lens for the era, so I had no trouble getting new lenses when needed.
Right off the bat, I got a rash on my head behind each ear, probably from the resin in the wood.
Told my eye doctor about it and he just added a piece of medical grade mylar to the inside of each earpiece.
That solved the problem, and they never came off the earpieces, so I wore them for like 5 or 6 years.
Never had a problem with them until I got hit in the face with a bowling shoe.
And even then, it wasn't a hard hit, just some guy taking off his shoes and they flipped up on him and right into my face, hi hi.
We didn't have super glues back then, and I needed new glasses anyhow, and since he agreed to pay for them, I got a good new pair, hi hi.

We had a local optician who made all kinds of lenses, mostly for microscopes, telescopes, and medical devices.
He also sold all sizes of magnifying lenses, the kind with handles on them. All hand-made too.
He did some pretty neat stuff with glass lenses, lots of toy type items lines his shelves, all for sale, and for big bucks too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have owned glasses for several decades, but I only wear them when absolutely necessary. I have reading glasses and driving glasses but seldom use the ones meant for reading. There are times where after a long day staring at the computer monitor the glasses ease the eye strain. But, the focal length is 18" and that's not always a comfortable distance for me. The driving glasses only get worn when I am driving the car. And, I only do that because of the restriction on my license. I got stopped once for speeding in Illinois and was not wearing my glasses at that time. The officer either ignored the restriction or decided the speeding ticket was enough. Truth is that I can see very well without the glasses, but they do improve the long distance vision which comes in handy when trying to read road signs and make quick decisions about where to exit the highway. LOL In any case, I don't know a thing about the police down here in Missouri. I'll not tempt Fate until I find out more.

Making lenses by hand has got to be challenging. I read a book once on how to do it, and I never even began to experiment. It was too complicated. I can see why anything a lens crafter might make would be expensive. To me the most amazing type of lens is a flexible contact lens. I don't know why they work, but they do very well. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old.
I was nearsighted, have warped lenses in both eyes, and astigmatism.
We had an excellent eye doctor who designed glasses for me to help with those warped lenses.
In 4th and 5th grade I wore some strange looking glasses made up of 9 separate lenses in each.
They couldn't make anything like that today if they tried, hi hi.
In the late summer, early fall, before I started 6th grade, I had a small operation on each eye, about 3 weeks apart from each other. I don't know what they did or how they did it, but after that I could wear single vision glasses, which is what I wore the rest of my life. The only caveat is they had to be made of glass and once installed in the frames, the lenses had to be tilted downward about 2 or 3 degrees. I still have to remember to tell those who fit me for glasses to do that, else I can't see diddly squat out of new perfectly cut lenses.
I do worry about when I finally get cataract surgery done, as it may take a year or more for my brain to adjust to seeing things without a ripple in them. My brain has learned to see the warp in my lenses when looking at a line so it appears straight and not wavy. New lenses will not have that warp in them, so my brain will probably see a straight line as a wavy line, hi hi.

With so many people wearing contacts these days, the cop probably just figured you had contacts in.

I made a camera lens once back in my high school days. But had access to all the necessary polishing equipment to get it done. It was still a big job to do though. I sold it to a fellow who worked for a loan company, along with several other store bought lenses used in some special photography.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The brain most certainly is trained to correct our vision. It does some pretty fantastic filtering which makes me wonder why it can't just adjust for nearsightedness or farsightedness. I have what I'm told is freckles on the retina of both eyes. These are like dead pixels on an LED monitor. At times, and for very brief moments, I see islands of gray and fuzziness floating around in front of me. Some of those blotches are quite large and opaque. At best it would be a nuisance bordering on dangerous if they remained in my field of vision. It only takes a second or less for them to disappear. The brain compensates for those blank spots and fills in the opaque spots with what it thinks should be there.

I also have "floaters" that seem to be pretty common. These are bits of transparent jelly that come about either by disease or simply as a result of changes due to old age. There is one in particular that looks like a transparent worm which always appears in the same spot in the same eye. It's mostly visible in a bright sunny field of view, but there also are times I can see that worm when my eyes are closed. Related to these transparent spots are the black floaters. These spots resemble flies or some other flying insect. I have at times tried to swat something that wasn't there. Obviously these floaters are always there, but the brain has the ability to erase them.

I'd go into the hallucinations I have experienced, but I don't think those are related to eye problems. :lmao1:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think we all have floaters that get in the way sometimes, as we get older it seems we have more of them.
I don't think I have any burned out pixels though.
The astigmatism is bad enough. It's like a pie shaped wedge missing in your vision.

When one wears tri-focals like I do. Sometimes that line picks up a reflection which makes you duck thinking something is flying at you, hi hi.
I always tell them NOT to polish the sides of my lenses too. Leave them sanded.
I had a pair once where they polished the sides of the glasses, and they drove me nuts with prismatic type reflections all the time.

Dead skin from my eyebrows is always landing on the inside of my glasses, and sometimes these cause some weird things to appear in front of you, like a ghost crossing your path, hi hi.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

This was weird. I made the post and got the edit window, tried to post from there and it said I can't post again for a few minutes. So I saved it as a draft, only to find it already posted here.
Poltergeist activity no doubt, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Poltergeist indeed!

The scenario you describe makes sense even if you didn't recognize what you did. I don't know how you got the edit window, but that sounds a lot like the sequence tat occurs when you get logged out when trying to post. In this case the post was made, but you probably didn't see the feedback because something else happened to take you to the edit window. I'm guessing that was recalled from your browser cache and not from this website because the anti-flood message came up saying you can't post again so soon. I don't know what you're doing over there, but a Poltergeist is as good an explanation as any.

I've never worn bifocals or trifocals and can't comment on their idiosyncrasies. I do know the line, or the transition zone would bother me, which is why I have two sets of glasses, one to read and one to drive. I'm paying for that luxury, but I also am not being aggravated by the mechanics of the lenses. At one time my wife had bifocals that did not have a seam. The area between the two lenses was a smooth transition, which eliminated the line problem you describe. Like me, my wife had issue with using those multi focus lenses. She now has regular bifocals but I suspect not for long. Today she went in for a follow up exam after her cataract surgery and was told she has 20/25 vision. She can drive any time she feels up to it.
Last edited by yogi on 28 Aug 2021, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I can probably blame it on the fact I'm now using a wireless mouse.
I replaced my older mouse, because the switches sometimes go bad and cause a quick double click as the contacts rock over carbon buildup or something.
A wireless mouse goes to sleep if you don't move or touch it for a minute, like when typing.
Then when you go to hit the send button, nothing seems to happen, the mouse wakes up and sends the button press, trouble is, it may have already done that during wake-up.
I usually leave the arrow for the mouse over a button I need to use often.
I'm waiting for something to get done, and then I click for the next thing and it doesn't take the first try.
Also, the thumb ball does not respond instantly at first.
I wanted to buy another hard wired mouse, but they quit making them, and the quality of the wireless is not up to their usual high standards. Their technology is going backwards if you ask me, and none of the new meeces have PS2 compatibility.
I guess dumbing them down, cutting back on design expenses and manufacturing expertise, saves them money.
Most companies that do that are starting their downward trend to the end of their viability as a company.

I tried those Transition Lenses once. Instead of having a sharp line you hardly notice, it's like they buffed out the line making a wider area of non focusability, hi hi.
Now they make something called a Progressive Lens. We know about three or four people who had them, didn't like them either.
Many years ago, before I had bifocals or trifocals, I had a Gradient Lens which was cool. It was sorta like 20/20 vision on the top and 20/15 on the bottom. Slightly more magnification as you looked downward. I tried to get something like that again, and nobody but nobody knew what I was talking about. They just said you can't have normal at the top and more magnification at the bottom of a normal lens. At the time I brought my old pair of glasses in for them to check on their machine. They said it was the same script top to bottom, I then said check the magnification levels at the top and bottom. They did and all they could say is WOW, that's impossible, but here you have them. We wonder how they made them?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've abandoned wireless mouses and wireless keyboards just for the reasons you mentioned above. There is lag and there is the multiple key closure problem that is counter intuitive to the way mouses should work. You probably are correct about no input devices these days being PS2 compatible. The need for such compatibility is down in the noise level. I was looking through my drawer full of cables the other day and found an interesting adapter. It had a USB on one end and two PS/2 cables on the other. There also are single adapters that are not cables. Thus it is possible to convert ancient to modern if you have the right adapters.

The other reason I've switched to gaming input devices is that many are programmable in ways you never thought you wanted to adjust. For example, my mouse activity can be adjusted for height. If I lift the mouse off the pad a certain distance, it will no longer function. Well, that distance can be programmed. I don't know why a gamer would be interested in that kind of granularity, but apparently some are. The tracking speed and the function of the keys on the mouse can also be programmed. I have three additional buttons on my mouse that can be programmed to do whatever key sequence I care to assign. Of course there is a price one must pay for all this programability, but in my case it's worth the increased performance.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have all the adapters to go from a USB plug to PS2 socket, which is what I used on my hardwired mice and keyboard to save using up a USB port. My KVM switch has PS2 connectors on the back of it for keyboard and mouse where I used an adapter. But new meeces and keyboards no longer work through those ports, so have to plug into the USB ports on the front of the KVM switch, and tell the switch to move USB ports to whichever computer I'm on. This sorta messed up what used those ports far in the past.
And now those ports are taken up with the Wireless Dongles for the meeces.

I've looked for a new KVM switch like the one I have, only with USB connections on the back for the mouse and keyboard.
I love all the features of the one I have, but it appears no one makes a KVM anything like it anymore.
It's a Cables To Go, TruLink, 4 Port VGA KVM Switch. With three front USB ports programmable or Floating.
It has nine LED lights on the front, 4 push-buttons to change computers or to lock in the moving front USB ports.
It's almost 9 inches wide and heavy enough all the cables don't pull it off the desk.
It is also controlled from the keyboard or from the front buttons.

I also had a small 2-computer KVM I was using as a monitor switch.
We can't use them that way any more because the drivers for them have changed over the years.
It too was PS2 and VGA, no push buttons on it, only keyboard switching.
Newer computers, including anything newer than Windows XP or Debian 8 does not have the drivers for it.
And with PS2 no longer recognized, it became totally useless, hi hi.

My Logitech thumb ball mouse has two buttons not on the original hard wired meeces they made.
I hate those two buttons, they take up part of the left button area, and pinch my finger many times a day.
I have no use for those buttons either and wish they were not there.
The height of the new wireless mouse is lower than the originals, and the thumb wheel sticks up much higher and is as touchy as an old wife, hi hi.
I tried like four other cheaper meeces before buying this one, because I was mad at them for not making the hard wired version anymore. Seems silly, after paying to have all the molds made to discontinue a great product.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think the issue with good computer peripherals becoming obsolete and unavailable is the result of consumer demand and not manufacturer push. When new computers are released with newer and different I/O ports, the old stuff suddenly loses value. People who have the old versions love them, as you have stated here many times. People looking for new equipment will not buy last year's model, and much less last decade's model. So, all that expensive tooling purchased by the manufacturer goes into the trash bin because nobody, or very few, buys it anymore. The dilemma is that the new and improved peripherals don't work the same as the old tried and true versions. Of course not. Technology changes and the way we do things must change too lest be become denizens of the Stone Age. There is nothing intrinsically bad about PS2. In fact a lot of game boxes today are using it. But any new computer owner never saw a round connector and would have no idea what to do with it. LOL

You have a unique situation there with mega KVM switching. I have two computers in front of me all day long and no KVM. That's because one is a desktop and the other computer is a laptop and it would not make sense to add a keyboard or monitor to the lappie just so that I can switch it. I'm not sure how I'd handle three computer boxes, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever get to it.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

What pays for constant changes of toolings, apart of consumer demand is manufacturing scale. The same peripherials offered in your country are offered worldwide, so instead of having a posibly 300+ million market, they retrieve income from a posibly 7 billion market. I had a USB hub that I bought at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam (should not have bought it in the first place), that suddenly died within a couple months so I had a back and forth discussion with the manufacturers HQ about the warranty, in which I included the local office over here, they acknowledged to comply with the warranty, but with the condidion I sent the thing to their European HQ instead of the Mexican office... Long story short, I bought a different brand USB hub afterwards since it was cheaper for me.
yogi

Post by yogi »

USB connections are a good example of what we are talking about. In the beginning there was USB 1.0 (ca. 1996) which was improved to USB 1.1; a bandwidth increase from 1.5Mbps to 12 Mbps. Following that is USB 2, and USB 3, and USB 3C ending at 40Gbps. USB 4 (ca 2019) then came along with dual-lane operation. If your computer was build for USB 2, for example, you won't be able to use anything that came out afterwards and you might be perfectly happy with that situation. But you won't be able to do the same things with USB 2 that can be done with USB 4, use Thunderbolt for example. Additionally, the cable connectors are different (the attached image doesn't show USB 4). All your hubs would need to be replaced if you upgraded not to mention buying new cables. You might have to buy a new computer too because those old reliable, tried and proven, computers just don't have USB 4 connectors or data transfer capability.

And, Juan, you make a good point. They don't just throw away old tooling. There is a market for all the old machines, and they are not all outside the USA either.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yeppers USB has pretty much replaced Parallel and Serial ports on a computer.
I still have a couple of older computers here with Serial ports on them, but no Parallel ports.
And the big fancy Parallel Port switch I bought to run 12 printers is collecting dust, hi hi.

USB is getting close to becoming useless too.
I was checking on-line for another 2 TB external HD and saw tons of Wireless external drives for sale.
I'm not real fond of wireless anything that has to do with computers.
But do like wireless for my AC remote and cars remotes, hi hi.
Heck, my '97 Blazer has auto-start using my key fob, hi hi. Love that in the winter!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Given all the attention to security these days, I can's see anyone wanting to use wireless storage. Even if all the data is encrypted, the wireless port is just another IoT that is vulnerable to intrusion by the guys in the Black Hats. USB has come a long way. The latest and greatest can stream video over multiple channels. I know that when I use Linux On A Stick in any of my USB ports there is no noticeable lag or degradation in performance. That was not the case even as little as ten years ago. I have a couple external USB drives. One is a 300MB HDD that I have a few system images on. The other is a portable SSD that I use as an air gap for my system backups. There are times when it seems that the data moves quicker to the SSD than it does to my internal drive. That might in fact be true because I know different protocols are involved.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm still using a few very old IDE external drives as redundant backups..
One of them takes a good five minutes to warm up, so I know it's days are numbered.
Maybe the fact I have three old ones that are always turned off and sitting on shelves, and only used when I do a redundant backup. I have a pair of 500 gig drives the last time I used one for a backup was back in 2015. It is almost all photo's on that drive, of which I have them on another 500 gig up here, and a 2 TB drive up here as well.

I don't think I would want a wireless external HD or SSD myself, but I'm sure seeing a lot of them out there now.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've always had the idea that you can never have too much memory, regardless of which kind it might be. I can see using RAM that has 1TB worth of memory for example. Mechanical hard drives have a limit, even those that rotate over 7k rpm. The access time gets to be excessive when moving huge amounts of data on HDD's. There is still lag with SSD, but it's nothing like their mechanical counterpart. As you know I am a heavy user of Windows and ever since I switched to using SSD's I no longer need to be concerned about defragmentation. The method of storing data is different to begin with, but even so the access time is so small that it would not matter if large files were fragmented.

There might be good reasons to use wireless storage. I can't think of any other than perhaps a surveillance camera where wiring could possibly be an issue.

IDE drives typically peak out at 100 Mbps. SATA can go up to 6 GB. That would be one reason for me to migrate. I don't move as much data as you do, but I do get fidgety waiting for a transfer to complete. :grin: