WWW Code For Sale as NFT

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
ocelotl

Re: WWW Code For Sale as NFT

Post by ocelotl »

Yep, we are getting to the transition months. Down here National Metereoligical Sevice just announced the first cold front of the season on the border Mountains in Chihuahua and Coahuila, while we still get rains from the 32nd tropical wave on the Intertropical Convergence Zone, along with low pressure zones along the skirts of the Sierras Madre... Now I can answer the comment on the "Canadian Clipper", it is only called a "Polar Jet Stream" here. For the next three days, minimum expected will be 11° C or roughly 52° F, and maximum will be 21° C to 24° C or roughly 70° F to 75° F, with rains.

yogi

Post by yogi »

The top map shows what looks like a polar vortex which can indeed be pushed south by a misguided jet stream. I can't say that is truly the case, but it certainly is a lot of cold air headed our ways.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My grandpa on my mom's side, used to keep an old metal bed wagon he pulled around when installing fence posts.
In that wagon was an iron ring he filled with coals and over it was a cast iron deep cylinder pan with tar. He would dunk the ends of the fence posts in the tar before dropping them in the post hole. He too always dropped a rock or brick into the hole before setting the post in. Then about a 2 or 3 gallon bucket of small stones, then he would fill the dirt back in. No concrete. On the front fence posts near the road, he always mixed up some clay and water until it was slow pourable, and added about 3 to 4 inches to top off the fill. He never told me why he did that. I don't think it had as much to do with holding the post in place as it did with deterring the weeds for a few years from taking hold up close to the post.

Welcome to Missouri, where we can have all four seasons within a week, sometimes within a day, hi hi.

It was only 58 here when I walked up to my office this morning.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Now that I'm a septuagenarian extremes of weather on any given day seem to occur more often. I don't think the two events are related, but those extreme changes are happening more often now that they were when I was much younger. I have experienced such things here in Missouri, but also in and around Chicago where the limits of the extremes seem to be even greater than what they are here.

I have only limited experience with fence posts, and in fact it's not even fence posting I can brag about. We were one of the few people on our block up north who had a mailbox by the street. The house was 65 feet from the curb and when I went to the post office to get a mailing address for our new house they gave me the option to have mail at the street or up at my door. I figured it would be easier on the delivery person to drop it off at the curb, but as it turns out only four of us had that kind of mailbox. The rest of the neighbors had the traditional walking mail carrier so that delivering to us in a rural mailbox involved using a postal truck. The postal carrier who served the people across the street did so walking and could have easily come over to give us our mail. But, for whatever reasons that could not happen. A truck driver had to deliver our mail. Which meant that I had to install a mailbox at the street site.

I got myself some 4x4 treated lumber and built a platform on top of it to hold the actual box. The earth, as I mentioned elsewhere, was all black soil to a depth of about 6 feet where a lot of sand was mixed in with the soil and clay. Essentially I was installing a post into a black dirt environment. Being new at this sort of thing, I dug a hole, put the post in, and filled it back up with the dirt. I think I may have watered it down to settle it in too. Well that worked fine for about a year. During the interim winter months the city snow plows would have drag races down our street. The snow would be tossed nearly up to our front porch, which as I said was 65 feet from the street. Right at street side, about 6 inches from the blade of the speeding snow plow was my mailbox. They never were able to knock it over completely, although I'm certain they tried. But I did have to go out a few times during the winter to straighten it out.

The next installation of that mailbox was on the other side of the driveway where I dug a new hole. This time I got some pea gravel and nearly filled up the hole with it after inserting the post. About 4 inches of dirt was put on top of that for the grass and weeds to grow in. This new approach to installation was far from perfect, but the post remained fairly straight all winter long. When it finally did tilt I got some perforated angle iron and pounded it in at the corners of the 4x4 post. Then I screwed it into the wood. That worked perfectly, but did not defeat the wild eyed snow plow drivers. They came up with some sort of mysterious technique that would open the door of the mail box and scatter it's contents all over the street and my snow covered front lawn. I lost a few pieces of mail that way, BUT the box remained vertical. :clap:
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

yogi wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 23:14 The top map shows what looks like a polar vortex which can indeed be pushed south by a misguided jet stream. I can't say that is truly the case, but it certainly is a lot of cold air headed our ways.
There is the polar vortex that was pushed south...

Since Conagua uses the same GOES images as NOAA, the data is the same. For us down here is an added benefit of the former NAFTA or TLCAN, now USMCA or T-MEC.

yogi

Post by yogi »

Been to the NOAA website a few times. The information and formats there is overwhelming. I suppose it's interesting and even valuable to people who know how to navigate all that imagery and understand what they are seeing. I am duly impressed but get lost easily trying to find something recognizable and in real time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The only places I ever lived where we had a walking mailman was in both apartments.
Now the first apartment I lived in, there was a multi-box mailbox for each building, placed near the center of the building at the main walkway up from the parking lot. Since I was in the townhouse on the left, my mailbox was on the top left and the height of two mailboxes which was great for me. My next door neighbors section had an upstairs and a downstairs apartment, so those two mailboxes were second in the row, one on top of the other, but backwards. The upstairs floor was the bottom mailbox and the downstairs floor was the top mailbox, and that's the way it worked for the next three rows.

In my second apartment, the mailbox was a slot outside the wall, and the mail dropped down inside the wall to a door about a foot lower than the outside slot. If the mailman folded a larger envelope or newsletter like newspaper, I had to reach up inside the door up inside the wall to pull it down to the door. After a couple months of this, I sprayed the entire inside of the mail chute with a silicone that dried but made the inside slicker than a mules hind leg. After that even bent stuff the mailman wedged in there would slide down on it's own, hi hi.

Everyplace else I've ever lived we had to have a mailbox down at the street. And on the side of the driveway closest to your front door. Up the street from my second house, that guy had a circular drive that took up most of his front yard. When he moved his mailbox from the right part of the drive, over to the left driveway part of the circle, but still closest to the front door, the mailman squawked about it and he got a letter saying he did not have permission to move the mailbox from it's authorized position.
He told them the new location complies with all the rules and regulations they provided him with, and is now actually closer to the front door than it was before.
After some todo about it, they finally let him keep it in the new locations, but it changed his zip+4 number by one or two digits.

I had something similar happen when I lived in grandma's old house at the florist. The florist moved it's mailbox so it was in front of the cut flower shop, and it was a big double size business type of mailbox. 12123 Manchester Road.
But that was the physical address of grandma's house which once housed the florist in the basement.
The house I was raised in was 12229 Manchester Road, and my uncles house to the East was 12225 Manchester Road.
Now the telephone pole to the left side of my house when facing it from the street had the number 12133 on it.
So I put up a mailbox with huge numbers showing it as 12131 Manchester Road. This way I wouldn't have my mail being delivered to the florist mailbox. This caused a short conundrum at the post office, because they didn't recognize the number at first. But our mailman never had a problem after a couple of days, he figured out what was up and made the adjustment to his sorting case at the post office.
In the end, it turned out that I picked the correct number for grandpa's house as 12131, because the address of 12123 turned out to originally be the address of when we were a Market, and technically 12123 was still another 30 feet east of the current florist mailbox. So that number being used by grandpa for his house was wrong from day one, hi hi.

An old apartment complex a little further east of us, every apartment had an individual mailbox and post all lined up by the road in front of the parking lot. Each of those apartments did have mail slots in their doors dating back to when the mailman walked the complex. But two of the building got torn down. When a new owner took over the apartment building, not liking the sight of all those individual mailboxes. He went out and had two short utility poles so they were only 3 feet above ground if that. Then he had a 2x10 on the front and back at the top, and a 2x12 on top of that for the mailboxes to set on. And that's the way it stayed until that building was razed also.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When I lived in the city of Chicago proper the mailbox was attached to the house and by the front door. All the houses in the neighborhood had the same arrangement and that mail, of course, was delivered by a walking postman. My first home was in a suburb and in place for many years before I got there. They had rural mailboxes by the street in that neighborhood. There were no curbs in that area and there were ditches along the street which supposedly drained the rain water. Several people leveled that ditch to make grass cutting easier. That's what the previous owner of my house did. We had a circular drive and the mailbox was at the end of one entry into the circle. Both sides were equally distant from the front door so that it didn't matter to me where the mailbox was located. I never had to replace that box for all the twenty years we lived there. I did buy a new one when we first moved in but it was easy enough to keep the existing post and just remount the new box.

The next house we owned was the one we custom built. This too was in a suburb of Chicago and the land was unincorporated. That was due primarily to the fact that there was about twenty acres of vacant land. A parcel of about 5 acres of land was owned by private individuals and the other 15 or so acres was owned by a church. We were the first to build our home on one of those five unincorporated acres. When the time came to move in, we went to the local post office to inquire what our address would be. It turned out that the 5 acres took up the entire 600 range of numbers on that street. Since I was the first to move in the postmaster said that I could pick my own 600 address as long as it was an even number. My home was in the middle but apparently it was ok if I picked 600, but I figured I'd have a neighbor some day and didn't want to have to change my address when they moved in. So I picked 640 and that's the number that went on my mailbox out by the curb. My two neighbors to the south of me were good buddies and built their homes at about the same time. They chose 636 and 638 which apparently was fine with the post office. There wasn't room in that 600 block for another house with a lower number anyway. Those two guys made something like a sawhorse and mounted two mailboxes on it which as far as I could tell was pretty close to being on the property line. The post office seemed to be pretty lax about addresses. Then again, our four houses were the only ones in the 600 block and we all had rural mailboxes. I think the delivery person went by our names and not by the house numbers anyway. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We have drainage ditches in our front yards here too, although they've never filled up ever due to the sandy soil.
When this subdivision was built, the lots were numbered differently than they are today.
This property was originally part of lot number 9, and had an address of 1001 Valley Drive.
At that time, house number 901 started at Sims Road, and going east the numbers increased, and when they crossed Cleage Street it changed to 1000 block and the first lot, which was number 9 got the address of 1001 Valley Drive.
The 5 acre lots were subdivided into 1 acre lots and at that time this lot became lot #19 on the new plat map.
When they built the house it was still assigned address 1001, being the first house built on the right going east from Cleage Street.
Then to keep uniform with the rest of the subdivisions 1/2 acre lots, they gave our back lot #20, because the final street at the top of the hill was never built, mainly because everyone who bought on the south side of Valley Drive bought 1 acre lots, which were later divided into 1/2 acre lots.
I'm pretty sure that was before the USPS made even numbers south and east for everywhere.
When they did that, all the numbers increase going east to west. The post office used the main highway as the starting point, so if the road did go all the way to it, we would be in the 900 block west of Chapman Highway. Because of this and the new south and east addressing system, this house became 934 Valley Drive.

When I used to be a delivery driver, it was pretty easy in St. Louis to know where your stops were, because all addresses increased as you moved west from St. Louis. But then we had several streets that did not use the higher numbers in the county and used short 2 and 3 digit numbers within a subdivision. However, delivery guides showed the address of the subdivision entrance using the conventional post office method. Also Utility poles had addresses based on the USPS numbering system. This was helpful since a lot of places didn't display their address, especially businesses in strip malls. So you could end up driving many blocks without seeing an address number, and this is where the utility poles being numbered helped us out a lot.

On an interesting note that I just thought of. I've always lived within the same range of addresses my entire life in St. Louis County. Except for the short time I lived in Brentwood. My Kirkwood apartment was 12242 W. Big Bend Blvd. When I lived in Des Peres in my grandparents house, I used 12131 Manchester Road, and my Creve Coeur house was 12341 Promenade Lane. So I've basically always lived in the 2000 block away from St. Louis, well until I moved to Tennessee, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The house address numbering system in Chicago was pretty much the same as St Louis. The famous State Street of downtown Chicago was the starting point and all addresses going west from there increased up to the city limits. Many adjacent suburbs kept the same numbering scheme, but just as many had their own especially as the distance between them and Chicago increased. Madison Street was the east/west street that ran roughly through the center of Chicago's downtown and marked the starting point for all the north and south addresses. It was always easy to know where you were in the city, but there have been a few times when I didn't know how I got there. LOL

My wife's parents lived in Manchester, Iowa which is a town of about 10,000 people. They didn't live in town actually; their home was several miles north and literally out in the country. At one point somebody decided that ALL the homes in that county had to follow post office mail address protocol. Thus wife's parents had an address that referenced the center of town, but there was several miles of open farmland between them and town. I don't recall exactly what the address was, but it came to be something like 30123 Whatever Road. I guess they and the neighbors had their own zip code too.

About a year or two before we moved out of that first house we owned some county level inspector came out in response to a complaint by one of the neighbors. The complaint was that water (and ice in the winter) would sit on the street pavement instead of draining off. That was due to some of the folks filling in the drainage ditches. Well the inspector did his thing and apparently wrote some kind of report and all us people got a letter from the county one day. They were demanding that we restore the ditches and put drain pipes under out driveways so that the water could flow. A lot of the neighbors were like me and victims of previous owners' misdeeds. Digging a ditch wasn't a problem, but those pipes under the driveway could be. Having a circular drive meant that I had two pieces of pavement to fix. Well there was a lot of legal hassle and we moved out before it was all settled. But the people who bought our house were informed of what the county wanted and her obligation to comply if they ever settled the court case. Last time I looked the ditches were not filled, but then you can't always rely on Google maps.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've seen addresses up in the 40,000 range, but then they started over once you crossed the county line.
Most folks do not realize that St. Louis IS NOT IN St. Louis County. The City of St. Louis is an Independent City, meaning they are their own County. The County of St. Louis City. So it is not confused with the County named St. Louis, which is actually St. Louis County. There are a few other cities in the U.S. of A. who work like that also.

We have a pipe under our driveway, even though we are at the top of the rise, it is downhill both ways from my house.
The neighbor does not have a ditch at all, hi hi. And in my ditch is a pipe that runs under the road into the neighbors yard across the street, but no water has ever made it through that pipe to his yard, even with our biggest downpours. Rainwater just soaks right in here. Heck, water off the road doesn't even make it to the bottom of the ditch before it too soaks in.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't think I'm going to live long enough to know even the least amount of information about the area in which I live. You certainly know much more about this place than I ever will, but then your family were the pioneers who build some of this state. I had no idea that the city of St Louis was not part of any county. BUT, they do operate county offices and seem to have gone through a lot of trouble to make the political structure as complicated as possible. LOL

The storm water drainage around here is pretty damned good, but not up to the level of what you have going there. It seems as if your homestead was at one time the center of some desert. All the nomads and their camels left but the sand they lived on is still there. I think the drainage system at that old house became what it was due to the fact that the area is unincorporated. The next street over from where I lived was the main drag on which a huge popular shopping mall was located. That main drag evidently was the end of the town it was located in. Then going west there was my small neighborhood that originally was farmland. My house in fact was moved from that shopping mall land to it's current location which was mostly farmland when the shopping mall was built. Going west from my neighborhood was a hustling bustling fully established suburb of Des Plaines, Illinois. Being sandwiched in between two big suburban towns like that left us isolated in many respects. The county police patrolled but heaven forbid should you need the services of a fire brigade. You would have to beg one of those two bigger suburbs to send help and promise to pay them a fee, which was reasonable from what I understood, for their service. Given all that independence, the county laws, such as they were, were pretty much disregarded or unknown. So, people did whatever they felt like doing and nobody came around to stop them. Living a lifestyle like that is a major part of why I detest the HOA arrangement I'm now restricted to.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yeppers, the State controls what the Counties can and cannot do, and St. Louis City being their own County must abide by rules and laws that affect all Missouri Counties. But then their are City Rules and Laws too, hi hi.

Oh heck, the stormwater system down here is horrible to say the least. St. Louis County had one of the best storm water and weathershed systems I've ever seen. In comparison, we actually have nothing to write home about down here, and they charge four times more for their sewer systems too. Everything down here is done bass ackwards to modern towns and villages.

Once Knoxville annexed our subdivision, besides doubling our taxes and cutting services to less than half. They keep doing more and more dumb stuff that is very costly to us. Has always done more harm than good, especially since I've lived here it has changed for the worst a little bit more each month.

We were fighting similar problems back home with our subdivision, which was unincorporated. Every year we had to go to the polls to vote no to annexation, until we finally got a bill passed that required a five year wait to try again. This sorta backfired, because each city that tried to annex us meant we were still going to the polls every year to vote NO to annexation. And just before I moved south, our subdivision more or less agreed that the next time Creve Coeur tried to annex us, lets vote yes to keep from being annexed by one of the other cities trying to steal our land out from under us.
Down here it seems no one had any say so in fighting the annexation, it was done only by the poly-tick-ians and not by the people themselves. And that's how they get a lot of things through that none of us want. They don't put it up for a public vote.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I recall living in that unincorporated area back in Illinois. We were flanked by large well establish suburbs on all sides. One of them, by the way, was the Park Ridge city from whence Hillary Clinton came. Niles was to the east and it probably was as old as Chicago itself. They had tons of money to spare with that shopping mall footing a lot of the bills. Des Plaines also was well established for many years and had one of the best old time ice cream parlors I ever had the pleasure of eating in. LOL Since all these cities didn't need the taxes or the land we could offer them, nobody really wanted to annex us. There was a vote to annex into Niles one year, but the politicians had to be paid off to accept the idea and as it happened the residents rejected the proposal. No other offers to annex were made during the two decades I lived there. We didn't have many services but then we didn't pay for them either. The only catch that I recall was that fire department fee. Since we didn't have a fire department we had to rely on the good will of the neighboring ones, which only extended their good will if we paid for it. LOL

From what I understand Knoxville isn't all that affluent. I would not know why that is the case but no doubt they annexed you because they needed the revenue from the taxes. That's the problem with big cities with populations somewhere under middle class status. The money just isn't there even if they wanted to raise the taxes. The only way to increase revenue in that case is to increase the number of tax payers. The house before this one was built on unincorporated land. I don't know how the village got jurisdiction over building, but we had to go through their city hall in order to get all the building permits, in spite of the fact we were not part of the village. Incorporating into the village was a simple choice. They would not issue a residency permit unless we incorporated our land. My wife and I voted to do it. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The area I live in is basically older homes, and was all older people, who sold their homes to a younger crowd, but most of those younger folks didn't live here, they just rented out the houses.
It was definitely a major shock to me after we were annexed and our taxes doubled and services went way down.
Who ever heard of paying both city and county taxes? Back home you paid one or the other, no actually you paid the county tax and if you had your own fire or police department, the county paid those funds back to the city. The city may have a small tax usually on a business or for some homeowner services if the whole subdivision approved to get those services by voting for them.
Down here it doesn't work that way at all, whatever the poly-tick-ians decide to do, we are stuck with it.
Going to all the town hall meetings to fight them has never done any good.
Even when you catch them in a major SCAM, they still get by with it and do it anyhow.
And of course it costs all of us big time for their nonsense. Which of course only goes into their own pockets.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I hear you loud and clear. The people in power have all the power. End of story. The secret to success, most certainly, is to become one of them. You must join the power ranks in order to receive any benefits from them. That's not always easy to do when you are not one of the good ol' boys. You came in from some other part of the world and apparently don't fit in with the political crowd. As far as taxes and services go, I doubt that anyone gets a break in those areas. Y'all are peons and victims of the powers that be. That pretty much was the case in my last home in a Chicago suburb, with one exception. The property tax was approaching $10,000 (of which our village got less than $100) and increasing each year by leaps and bounds. I had occasion to talk to our state representative about it, and she was very sympathetic. She even co-sponsored a few bills in the legislature to provide aid to us older folks. But, there was no way in hell that she would, or could, lower the financial burden on our tax bill. She told me directly that if we can't afford to live there, then perhaps we should consider moving ... Hello Missouri.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Ouch, and I though my tax for my house in Creve Coeur was skyrocketing.
When Ruth bought the house, her annual tax bill was only like 280 bucks a year, and went up maybe 10 bucks a year.
It was held in escrow by her mortgage lender.
After we got married, and the first tax bill showed up, it was more like 450 bucks. Then each year after that it was like 60 to 80 bucks more each year. At the time I refinanced the house to help pay her medical bills, taxes were already over 1,200 bucks a year, and after she passed away, and the year I got remarried to Debi, the taxes had jumped to 1,600 bucks.
I did learn the people who bought the house after the renovator redid it, their taxes were jumped way up there, to 2,000 bucks a year. I hate to think what they are now 20 years later.

I had an aunt who lived in a more well to do area. It wasn't when they built their house, but the area prices kept skyrocketing, and along with that the taxes. When she sold her house to move into a seniors center, her taxes were like 6 grand a year and climbing about 200 bucks more each year.

Most of the houses I bought for renovation purposes, had a very low appraisal value, next to nothing, so the taxes were really low, only like 135 bucks on each one for the time I was renovating them, but then when they sold, they got reappraised and the taxes jumped up to around 375 to 450 bucks for the new buyer, and I'm sure they went up after that fairly quickly, as all the houses in the rest of the area were up around 500 bucks, and that was 30 years ago or more.

It is really hard when you are on a fixed SS income and they keep raising the prices for everything, including taxes and other fees.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There was a time, and it may still apply, when Cook County, that in which the city of Chicago is located, had the highest cost of living in the nation. We beat out places like Silicon Valley for a while. I don't recall the exact amount, but our initial tax bill was under $2000. That covered a 1500 sq ft brick ranch on 1 acre of land. Each year the taxes crept up higher and higher. There were in fact a few, very few, years where the taxes remained within $50 of the previous year. I do believe they wend down about $40 one of those years. But by then the bill was near $4000 a year. That crept up slowly too until we experienced that mini economic Depression. Assessments and house prices dropped, but the tax rate went up. That had to be done in order to maintain a steady influx of tax dollars. When that Depression came to an end, more or less, the assessor nearly doubled the value of our property. Not just us, of course, but everybody in the county. So my tax bill went from $4000 to $8000 in a single jump. The appraised value was just under $300k at the time, and our house was the lowest priced one in the neighborhood. My neighbors, all of them, had square footage 2x, 3x and 4x greater than my house. Some of those mini castles were selling for a million dollars, or close to it. If I was paying 8 grand, I can't imagine what THEY were paying. Actually, I could have found out. Taxes are a matter of public record. What I did find out is my neighbor with 3500 sq ft of living space was paying less taxes than I was. This revelation prompted a visit to the county assessor's office where I was told that discrepancy was due to the fact my house was all brick and his was not. That's when we started looking for other places to live. That final tax bill for us was just under $10000 if I recall correctly and the house appraised for $365,000. Anybody I tell that story to here in Missouri drops their jaw.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Two of the rental houses I owned, which I renovated for resale after those tenants moved out. Ended up in Enterprise Zones after they were sold. When a whole block of houses gets renovated and updated, the assessments go up. But while the Zone was in a depressed state, the assessments were low so the tax rate went up big time to make up for the low assessments.
Then when all the houses in that block had sold for bigger dollars, they were reappraised. The appraisals themselves were fair, but because of the high tax from when it was a depressed area, in many cases the tax bills per month were higher than their house payments. Crazy. They did manage to get the tax rate readjusted to a lower percentage, but it didn't help all that much, since the value of the houses kept climbing since it was now an Enterprise Zone. That's where the City becomes like an HOA and dictates what can and cannot be done.

I've been very lucky, that despite the original deed on the house shows a full acre.
The recording office divided us up into 1/2 acre lots to match the rest of the subdivision.
This part was good because the wooded lot was taxed as unimproved ground.
Anyone who sells their house now has to put both lots back together as a single 1 acre lot, so they pay improved ground taxes on the whole acre.
Looking at the Plat Book it looks like we have two deeds, when in fact there really only is one deed covering the entire acre.
The registration office also made a mistake when we took Laverne's name off the deed to the house using a quit claim deed.
Now the quit claim deed reads exactly like the original deed, and covers the entire acre of land.
But whoever worked in the city office that recorded it, only did so on the front lot, and kept the back lot with both names.
I purposely did not let them know they screwed up, because they might have made me combine the two lots onto one again. This would double our already doubled taxes once again.
Heck, just since I've lived here we've gone from 350 to 650 to 1200, and if they join the lots, it will jump to 2500 bucks like that.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had thoughts of dividing that one acre lot up north, and in fact my neighbor offered to buy it if I did. Two things happened to stop that. The neighbor's lawyer was not familiar at all with real estate law and could not come up with a contract offer that pleased my lawyer. After much haggling and rewriting of contracts, he decided to withdraw the offer to buy. It was about that time when I visited the assessor regarding the high taxes I was forced to pay. I asked him how much the taxes would be reduced if I subdivided the lot. He could not give me an exact number but did say the effect would be minimal; maybe $50 annually at most. Not only would that back lot be unimproved, but it had no access to any streets or utilities. It was landlocked. Didn't matter to the assessor. I also learned that if I did subdivide I would have to give the subdivision a name, you know, like Yogi Acres. LOL That would have been cool but the approval time in those days was around 18 months. Then there was the cost of the lawyers and paperwork and, well, I gave up on that idea too.

Looking back at that very expensive Cook County, I'd have to say it was worth every penny. Then, too, I'm looking back from here in Missouri where the atmosphere is plain vanilla and not Opus One, 2016 vintage. I can assure you it was all middle class, but you could actually buy a bottle of that stuff at the local liquor store. Liquor stores are not even easy to find where I live now and the variety of alcoholic beverages they sell is no better than what Schnucks has. In other words, the folks that lived up there could afford to buy that wine and pay the extortion rate taxes on their houses. The county services were not exceptional, but they did exist. Perhaps after living there all my life I became biased. Those Italian Mafia Dons ran the political system in much different ways that the good ol' boys down here. I just couldn't afford to keep up with them.