WWW Code For Sale as NFT

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: WWW Code For Sale as NFT

Post by Kellemora »

Well then encryption wouldn't work for me at all, because I use Linux and have my data on NTFS drives so they can be read by Windows machines.

I have tons of notes around here of how I did a specific thing and got it to work. Wrote it all down step by step.
But when I get a new machine or different machine, it balks at some of the steps with an error of some sort.
It works perfect on the original machine, but not on another machine.
If I had a nickel for every time I got hit with Command Not Found, I would be a millionaire, hi hi.
But at the time I had all these problems, I was using Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Things that work on Debian don't always work on either of the other two, which surprised me, since they are built on top of Debian.
Or possibly I was trying to do something on Debian that worked on Ubuntu.
Linux Mint just seems like if you stick with it, everything just works and works right and much easier too.
Even so, I'm still sticking with my Debian, hi hi.

All I can say is: When I did my formula for my product, it's a good thing I wrote it out in such a way an 8 year old could understand it, how to make it, and what to do to get the blends in the proper order and steps. Because after another attack, I could no longer understand my own formula's written as formula's.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well then encryption wouldn't work for me at all, because I use Linux and have my data on NTFS drives so they can be read by Windows machines.
Odd as it seems, this is one of the few things Linux cannot penetrate on a Windows machine. But then, that is the purpose of encryption; to prevent intrusion. The incompatibility you see there is due to the encryption methods being different and not so much the format of the drive. One solution would be to encrypt the data twice and keep it in two different places for the two different audiences, Windows and Linux. As it so happens, Windows 10, the professional edition, can run Ubuntu and Kali Linux natively. You could read Linux encrypted files from within a Windows 10 environment that way. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to get Linux to do the same with Windows encryption.
But when I get a new machine or different machine, it balks at some of the steps with an error of some sort.
This is one of the drawback of what Linux people think is an advantage. The problem you see there is with the kernels. Lunux updates its kernel every other week, so it seems. The base kernel does not change, but the modules added to the base runs into the hundreds in some instances. Some of those module changes, deletions, additions, and updates break previous versions. I guess that's one reason they give you the ability to save old kernels back to the beginning of time. If one doesn't work, try your luck with another one. Then, too, those kernel updates are frequently documented in the change logs where you can look to see what is needed to make the old packages work on the new kernel. This is wonderful if you are a system administrator and know what the heck they are talking about in those log files. Change is good, unless it breaks something you need. Any documentation you write for Linux must specify what kernel and DTE is required. Change any one of those and new documentation becomes necessary.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

About the only time I update a Kernel is on the Linux Mint 19.3 machine.
On all other machines, whatever Kernel I installed with the new OS is what it will keep.
At least that is my intent anyhow, hi hi.
It appears I have run dist-upgrades and installed a new Kernel at that time though.
The way I see it, the only way to upgrade the Kernel is if you bought new hardware that needs it.
Else you are just asking for trouble, hi hi.

AND FWIW: I had that same problem with Windows, from 3.0 all the way up to XP.
If I upgraded Windows, then some of my old programs would no longer work, unless I bought the upgraded version of the program too. With all the programs I had, this is why it just got way to expensive to keep up with.
And then by skipping several upgrades, when I did decide to buy a new version, the new version could not read the old versions data, so I had to get the intermediate versions anyhow.
It's things like that, plus the ultimate spyware OS called Vista, that drove me to switch to Linux.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It seems as if you are just stating the obvious. When you change the core of a system you can't expect old packages to work smoothly anymore. The updates are often critical and necessary, but the people who write the software, both open source and otherwise, are notoriously slow at or completely disregard upgrading. Then there are those one-shot cowboys who develop a really useful and wonderful piece of software but drop the ball after they made their fortune. I've seen that happen several times with Linux software where the developer no longer supports it and there are no willing curators.

I understand the problems you could encounter when you upgrade kernels (see the above), but you are not simply behind the times when you don't upgrade kernels. Vulnerabilities are often part of the upgrade, and when you don't move up you stay at the vulnerable level. It's like Russian Roulette with a six shooter; five times out of six you will be safe. You just got to ask yourserlf, "Am I feeling lucky today?"
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I feel much safer on Linux than I did on Windows, because that's who the hackers go after.
If as in my case, their Windows hack managed to get through to Windows style files, well, that is rare indeed.

If you have a computer with everything on it working right. An upgrade will usually break something.
So you disconnect the machine from the Internet, and use it for important things, like accounting, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

We have had completely opposite experiences with computer software upgrades. Not at all an unusual case. LOL I guess the concept of security was etched into my behavior when I worked at Motorola where security was more important than anything else we did. The variety of platforms I worked on was not that diverse but Windows, Apple, and Unix all were upgraded on a timely basis. It's true that some of those upgrades had to be verified by the IT department first because they did indeed break things. Breaking a program on your home computer would be an inconvenience, but on an enterprise system is would be disaster. By the time I left Motorola security was a way of life and updates were mandatory. There have been a few that broke something, but the fixes where usually already available by the time I found the broken parts. Since I've been tinkering with Linux the failure of upgrades has decreased significantly, but then I don't do anything serious on a Linux box so that there is little to break. My strategy would be a little different if I were running a business and I probably would be more careful about upgrading. But for my home system I've considered myself ahead of the game by making everything current. Then again, I don't consider it my fault when the Mother Company stops supporting what I have relied on for the last ten years.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I still have and use a WindowsXP machine, and old Dell I bought used after our lightning strike so I could use some of my old programs.
Finally got rid of the really old computers that once ran Win95 and Win98.

We didn't have too many hackers bothering us until the Internet became more popular and everyone was connected.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have a laptop with Windows 3.11 installed. It was my youngest daughter's first computer. Since then I have owned several laptops and desktops but retained only three in working condition. My wife replaced her Windows laptop with an iPad supplemented by her smartphone, but that machine is still working and I update it as often as possible. Originally it came with Windows 7 installed but they gave us a free upgrade to Windows 10. That is where it sits today. I think of you every time I go into that laptop to install the latest upgrades. It's a Windows Home edition and slower than molasses in January. Interestingly, once the updates are installed and I clean up the junk files, it runs fairly well for an old timer. It's definitely not gamer class, but it's all my wife needs when she can't do what she wants to do on her iPad.

Hackers have evolved over the years from being silly high school pranksters into cutting edge technologist that are state actors in many cases, i.e., paid by their local governments to attack. It used to be fun trying to undo what I unwittingly allowed hackers to plant on my machines. Now it's a lethal game of dodging bullets.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've bought a few laptop, used them for a week or two, then stuck them back in their bag and relegated them to the back of my closet. Where a couple of times the batteries leaked and not only ruined the carrying case, but the floor under it as well.

I'm not even sure where the Netbook I bought is right now. I've hunted around for where I might have stashed it. I know it is somewhere in the house because I used it a couple of times last year, or possibly the year before.
As you can see, I'm not big on toy computers, hi hi.

My wife worked with a guy who's main job was trying to hack into their own company computer, so they could close up whatever holes he found. He actually found hundreds of them, and most of them were via access to an on-floor Windows computer first, which then got him into the system.

One of her cousins used to work for DataMAX, another company who stored credit card data.
Their mainframe and server center is NOT on-line to the outside world, per se.
They do have machines that are connected to the outside world, else they couldn't function as a business.
They have read only data servers that a query machine can access to fetch the data, but nothing can be written to that server.
If something needed to be added, it went to yet another storage server not connected to the main system.
Then another machine would fetch specific data from that server, analyze it, then write it to the main server.
They too have been hacked many times, but only to the on-line machines and that is where it ended.
But even in the couple of times they managed to get something written on the input storage server, the data would not be fetched because it would never fit what the fetching machine is specifically looking for to fetch.

I've heard many data systems work this way, as well as major banks and many other systems.
But they never claim to be totally hack proof. Just that your data is safe with them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Laptops have their place in the business world, but you are right to suggest most of the ones we see are borderline toys. That's one reason I specifically sought out a laptop that claimed to be a gamer device. I was skeptical and didn't trust it much in the beginning, but over the couple years I've been using it the MSI laptop has proven it's value. I would normally say that's due to the Windows OS which just works, but it is on that very laptop that I also have two versions of Linux installed, also distros that just work. The best part of the laptop is the 17" screen. That's just a tad under what the desktop monitor uses albeit the aspect ration is much different. If I needed a laptop for business purposes, the one I have would be suitable.

It reads as if DataMAX uses air gap storage in it's strictest sense. I have to laugh at the read-only description because that's impossible for a computer. If it's memory and nothing else, I'll concede read-only is possible, but even there the data has to be written at some point. The layered access is indeed a fairly common technique to protect data. That and zero trust are becoming the norm. In theory you are right to say nothing is hacker-proof, but those financial people have a way of making life difficult for the ne'er-do-wells. It's nice to know they are making such a great effort, finally, after many years of ignoring security, but you and I do not need to go to such extremes. Small businesses seem to be more attractive than ever to hacks, but there are things such as backups that go a long way to preserve sensitive information.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The problem with laptops is not necessarily their power, as they can do what most people need them to do. And they are portable.
The main problem has to do with the users health. It is nearly impossible to use a laptop while sitting properly, having your arms at the proper angle for typing, while having a screen at the proper height to avoid neck strain.
And I'm saying that with my monitor inside my desk below the height of the keyboard, hi hi.
But I'm not tilting my head down when I work, and my keyboard tops of keys are 4" above my lap as they should be.
Most people with laptops are reaching up to get to the keys, because they are sitting on a table or counter. Most of them who work that way will end up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or worse. Not to mention eye strain and other problems.

Where Debi works, she starts her day by logging into a computer near the bosses cubbyhole he calls his office. It does not tell the home office she has logged in so it releases her access to the cash registers right away. It does not send data to the home office at all. It stores her log-in info somehow. Then every 15 minutes, the home office computer connects to that terminal and fetches the log-in for each person. You can read that as, she must log-in before her starting time or get docked 15 minutes, hi hi.
If she logs-in before 7:30 am she will have access to work the registers at 7:30 am, but if she's 1 minute late, her start time for working is not until 7:45 am when her access to the registers is unlocked.
I would imagine their cash registers save data locally, and the home office uses a fetch to pull sales data in much the same way.
I do know the boss cannot add a bar code to the file read by the cash register scanners, but they can use an alternate file they can write to the registers can read from. So I assume, the bar code list is read only and uploaded from the home office each time there is a change. I also assume the home office reads the alternate bar code file to see if a new number was added, so they can add it to the main bar code file they procure from the bar code maintaining company.

On a side note: This is mainly for folks with Schmartz-Fonz.
Debi's niece who works for a hospital got a memo from the organization that owns the hospitals.
BEWARE of QR CODES!
Do Not Scan any random QR Code you find out their in the wild.
Hackers are now using QR Codes to add malware to your phones.
If you don't know why there is a QR Code on something, don't scan it!
Watch for QR Code stickers added to products, perhaps covering the companies QR Code.
Run your thumbnail over product packaging to see if the sticker was added later, if so, don't scan it.
I didn't word it very good, nor exactly they way her warning read, and it was much longer too, hi hi.
I guess they don't work like I thought they did. I thought you just took a picture of the QR Code and sent that picture to somewhere. Seems like just scanning the QR Code will open a browser and cause things to happen.
Lots of Data hidden in those little blocks, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is software in the appropriate repositories which can be installed in a smartphone to give it the ability to read QR codes. Just about any phone with a camera has that capability built in and a third party reader is not necessary. I think it's very interesting that the camera recognizes a QR code when it sees one. Most of the time I just have to point my phone at the sticker and wait a couple seconds for the camera to decide what to do with it. I can in fact take a picture of it and send it to your smartphone, if you had one, and you could in turn point your phone's camera at it and react to the embedded code.

All manner of coding, including executable ones, can be encoded into those QR boxes. If you should come to my home some day and want to connect your smartphone, which I know you presently do not own, to my network I happen to have a QR code that gives you the password and logs you in automatically. Since my router password is 28 characters long, that's a great convenience. My point is that QR codes are pretty easy to make and they can be dangerous. They rank right up there with attachments and live links in unsolicited e-mails. Don't ever open those things. Period! Well, unless you do it inside a virtual box. Then it won't matter what surprises you find.

Your observations about the ergonomics of laptops are valid. Carpal Tunnel, however, is the result of extended stress. The time required to bring it on isn't trivial and most people don't use their laptops for that amount of time. At least not in one session. In an office environment laptops might be brought to meetings, but back at the desk it's the traditional terminal on which you do your work. These days of the pandemic are stretching the use of laptops, but I don't believe it's excessive because the sale of desktops is going through the roof. The ergonomics of the typical office desk/computer station is frequently terrible and THAT is where a lot of CTS originates. It takes a lot of money to invest in ergonomic furniture and training of people how to work properly, which is not always efficiently as they see it. Been there. Done that. Got the Tee shirt in the class I attended. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Other than taking a break for lunch and again for dinner, I'm at my computer from 8 am to 9 pm nearly every day of the week.
On days the frau works late, I may knock of around 8:15 pm.
But I'm set up for the most comfortable working placement of my keyboard and monitor, for me that is.
My glasses are made in such a way I don't have to tilt my head down. they are tri-focals set super low as they can.

My wife has CTS and is getting an operation for it on one hand on the 26th, don't know when they will do the other hand.
But she's always had her keyboard up too high, on top of the desk, not in a drawer under it. Even so, she spends very little time at her computer, and if she is, it is usually only using the mouse. She's never had a job that was repetitious, so I don't know how she got it for sure. Couldn't be from pushing the remote control buttons for the TV I wouldn't think, hi hi.

The number of neck problems of folks using their cell phones all day is increasing exponentially each year.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You can't argue the theory behind ergonomics, but no two people are built the same. Everybody has different sensitivities and will react differently to stress. I don't think I have CTS, and in retrospect that's an amazing situation. While I was a technician at Motorola I did a lot of running around as well as tinkering with the computers. It wasn't until the last ten or twelve years that my job was mostly sitting down at a computer station that was not perfect from an ergonomic point of view. Been retired nearly twenty years and spend more time than ever sitting in a most unfriendly position to type all this stuff you see here. There are times when I feel some pain, but then some short term exercise of the joints involved usually takes care of that. I'm not decided if it's CTS or arthritis. It's probably a bit of both.

I know people who have had the surgery and each one recovered fully. There was a significant period of down time where they could not use the arm, but that was all part of the healing process. I am certain your wife will get through it all easy peasey.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do have arthritis in my hands, and have had it for quite a number of years, but not bad like a lot of folks end up with. So I've been lucky in that regard. I have friends my age who's hands look like they got caught in a spinning wheel axle housing.

Two folks where Debi works have both had CTS operations, one was up and running in a week, the other said they took over a month before they were back to normal. Debi had back surgery and it took her a year or longer before she didn't have occasional problems from it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The healing process varies widely from person to person. I think of myself as a slow healer, but then I probably do more whining about it than is necessary. I too have met people who come out of major surgery and are fully functional within weeks. I guess the immune system has a wider range of variance than I would suspect. Then, too, personal attitude has something to do with healing as well. Positive minded people tend to do better which goes to show the connection between body and mind. If we could only get our bodies to grow replacement parts, then recovery time would not be an issue. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do believe you are right about that Yogi!

Same holds true for how someone grieves over a lost spouse.
Grieving is good up to a point. And should be followed by pleasant memories.
Life goes on and one cannot keep stewing about the loss as it is bad for their own health.
Missing the person is something that should never go away, but one shouldn't dwell on it 24/7 either.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Recovering from mental distress and/or illness is a whole different ballgame than dealing with the body's immune system. You are right about attitude being an important factor in both cases, but emotions are far more difficult to control. The theory is that we cannot control events, but we can control our reaction to them. Apparently some people can't assert that amount of control. Grieving is usually associated with a personal loss that cannot be recovered. The finality of it all is overwhelming because the loss is personal. You would think given enough time a person could adjust, and I think they all do. The initial shock is a reality check, and reality isn't easy for a lot of folks to accept.

The reality of my personal circumstances today is a liquid diet in preparation for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning. I have no trouble dealing with the diet, but that prep medicine is the most vile tasting brew humans ever concocted. I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude, but I dunno how strong I am. I guess I'll have a lot of time to sit down and think about it. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I do agree with you when a dead is sudden and unexpected, such like a fatal injury at work, a fatal car accident, etc.
It turns their whole world upside down, and it takes a long time to recover, if they can recover from it completely at all.
It was even more serious when the wife was a stay at home mom with kids and never worked outside the home.
They most often lost their house, and well basically everything.

But then there are those like me who lived and took care of spouses for years on the downhill slide to death. So when the end finally came, it was a burden lifted from our shoulders, and was not an unexpected event. It is a different grieving process for an expected death than an unexpected sudden death. One might say I had five or more years to prepare for the outcome and have everything in order for when that day did finally arrive. Even so, it is still a shock, especially when you were expecting them to come home that afternoon.

Make sure you put a seat belt on the commode to prevent being blasted up into the ceiling, hi hi.
Been there, done that. Not at all phun, no matter how you look at it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yes, I have to agree that there are various levels of grieving. One time mom ended up in the hospital and they pronounced her terminal. All that meant was the doctors didn't feel legally obligated to save her life. Hospice was recommended and I had a talk with those people before we agreed to take them up on the service. The most enlightening moment was when they explained that me being mom's caregiver gave me but one mission, which was to help her die comfortably. I had to think about that before the implications sunk in, but I accepted the role. Well good ol' terminal mom survived for nearly three years after that diagnosis. She was happy as a clam not to have to see all those doctors and stay in the hospital. So I had three years to prepare for the inevitable and thought about it every day while she was in my care. There was very little grieving on my part when she finally passed. It was the natural conclusion we had all been preparing for. To be honest with you, I don't think I could do it exactly the same way for my spouse. I don't like to think about it.

The colonoscopy went as expected today. Unfortunately the doctor was about 90 minutes behind schedule so the wait beforehand was not pleasant. He found an even dozen polyps growing inside me, which was not the highest number found in previous exams. Being a bit frustrated I asked the doctor if every polyp grows into cancer. He said no, only a very few do. That's not the impression I had all these years, so I told him I was questioning myself why I'm doing this. The answer was a standard response saying that it's my choice. He isn't going to come after me if I miss the next appointment in 2 years, when I will be 79. They don't perform the procedure on people over 80 unless there is a history of cancer or very large growths. People over 80 usually have a lot of other problems of greater concern than polyps. So, I'm thinking now, since nobody in my family has a record of colon cancer, or any other cancer that I know of, I've been wasting my time getting these exams. That's not entirely true, but it is true that the doctors take a different view of things once you become an octogenarian.