WWW Code For Sale as NFT

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: WWW Code For Sale as NFT

Post by Kellemora »

I had a friend who's husband died young. She worked to raise her kids, planned on never getting married again. She did have a man friend who helped her with things from time to time, but only as a friend. As they got older, and their kids were out of the nest, they started doing so many things together folks thought they were married, hi hi.
They both came to our St. Louis wedding reception. I was married in TN and had a big reception here for her family, but also had a second reception back home for my family and friends. I was around 52 when Debi and I got married, and although they thought it was too quick after my late wife passed away, they finally decided to get married themselves, quietly by a JP.

My first colonoscopy they found like three or four small polyps and removed them.
They found none on my second colonoscopy! The doc was sorta surprised since I had them the first time, he thought for sure there would be at least a couple, but he found none.
The worst part of the whole ordeal is testing the jet engine on the throne the day before, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The prep for a colonoscopy is discomforting to put it nicely. The actual evacuating process never bothered me. In some ways it goes easier than the normal process. The prep liquid one must drink is the most obnoxious part of the process in that the chemicals taste horrible. Apparently there is nothing they can do to improve the flavor because everyone I've talked to about it has the same opinion. In any case, I always was skeptical about the risks of letting polyps grow. It's a blessing not to have to think about it.

The concept of marriage has changed drastically since I first learned about it. There is no critically impelling reason to formalize a union other than the social and legal benefits. And, there aren't many of those either. People can live together and love each other unconditionally without a ritual to formalize it. There social expectations in today's world don't emphasize marriage nearly as much as was the case when my wife and I married. Even then several people we knew had a wedding just to satisfy the family or religious tradition. Since that kind of tradition is gradually diminishing the idea of a formal marriage is growing thin too.

About the strangest situation I am personally familiar with is a group of three people who all loved each other but could not get anybody to marry them. In fact it was illegal at the time for two same sex partners to marry. So, they all went out to a seclude place in a nearby forest, pronounced their vows and are living happily every after. Last time I checked there were three children from the two wives. I regret losing contact with these people because I am very curious to know what affect it all had on the children. They would be the only kids in their school with TWO moms and one dad. I'm sure some very interesting conversations arose out of that situation. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I used the lemon/lime flavored both times, and managed to get it down OK.

A girl I dated who everyone thought we would be married, up and took off without telling anyone, not even her parents. She did leave a note so they would know she wasn't kidnapped. Then about four times a year she would send a short note saying she is doing fine. Her dad tracked down the post office it came from, but didn't find her anywhere in the area. In later years they learned she had joined a commune, and didn't move back to her hometown area until after the commune finally broke up. She made an appearance at each of her parents funerals, but didn't stay long enough for anyone to talk to her.

My late wife knew of a group family who considered themselves married as a group, two men, three women. But she never stayed in touch with them after we met.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Back in the hippie era, I think it was probably the 60's and 70's, communal living was a thing. That, drugs, and free love was a way of life that attracted a lot of kids. I was always attracted to weird things, but the hippie movement just didn't seem right. It got mixed up with politics and kind of tarnished it's image in my mind. Drugs also seemed like a stupid idea and I never experimented with them for fear of damaging my mind. The free love was a plus. I was just an awkward kid and couldn't find the courage to snuggle up to just anybody. I had as many hormones as any of the other guys my age, but I also was picky. LOL I thought it all ended back then, but then at the beginning of the current century we took a trip to Colorado and visited Boulder. Lo and behold, there were hippies all over town begging for money. These were college students too so that they weren't exactly mentally deficient. I think hippies are pretty much gone now and days. So is the peace and love they promoted.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I never did like or blend in with the hippies, hi hi. Never did drugs, except for possible a couple of shared joints when I was at a party. Never liked beer, but did imbibe in the hard stuff a bit, but haven't touched a drop of alcohol since I turned 21. It was legal then so I saw no reason too anymore, hi hi.
I've always been a one girl guy myself, and didn't hang around with those controlled by their hormones.
Although, that being said, as teens we snuck down to gaslight square a few times to see the gogo dancers.
Had to stay outside and watch through the windows until the bouncers would run us off.

I don't think the commune she joined had anything to do with free sex, as much as being an equal person community. Everyone worked doing something, including outside jobs, and all income went to the commune storehouse where everyone shared equally. This in turn generated many loafers, and those who were making higher incomes at outside jobs began leaving the commune, and that is the main reason it finally broke up. It was interesting to learn how long they existed in the farming community where they established themselves.

Out along the Meramec River, far west of St. Louis County, there were at least five communes out that way, and each one was as different as night and day. Word was a lot of strange goings on out there. A few of them were shut down due to drugs, which really only made the other two grow faster, hi hi.

'The only thing I miss about the late '60s and '70s are all the muscle cars we could buy for only a grand to three.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The stereotypical image I have of hippies isn't all negative. They basically impressed me as pacifists which was an idea I favored from way back in my early childhood. The Chicago hippie arena showcased a lot of slovenly dressed young folks advocating the making of love, not war. Back then it was all about Viet Nam and a lot of those peaceful protesters weren't very peaceful. Part of that had to do with the intolerance of the Chicago Police Department but violence wasn't beyond the protesters when they were trying to make a point. While protesting for peace might have been a worthwhile ideology, the political ramifications turned me away from the hippie philosophy all together. I was barely aware of Amish and Mennonite people back then, but I did know they too were pacifists who lived in communes. However, being Christian apparently gave those folks some manners and respect for authority. Maybe it's just indifference. They don't care if the rest of the world wants to annihilate themselves. They just want to be left to themselves on the farm.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Don't know if it was good or bad that I sorta missed the hippie movement. I was in Nam at the time!
Then we we all got home again, everyone hated us, so we went into hiding more or less.

Nam was a sad war all the way around, we had no business there in the first place.
And then our own government tried to kill us all off with things like agent orange, etc.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I guess the hippies were an icon of my generation, but I watched it all from a distance; a great distance. Not joining a popular cause or movement was very typical of me in that I was a loner most of my life. I certainly did care about wars that might involve me personally, but those kind of things were totally beyond my control. I knew a few people who participated in the Viet Nam war. One didn't come back alive, and another acquired severe damage to one of his legs. My BFF was there and returned unscathed. They were offering him a lot of money to reenlist and go to OCS, but according to him there wasn't enough money in the US Treasury to get him to stay any longer than he had to. The consensus of those people who were there was that there was no good reason for that war. I emphatically agree in principle, but a lot goes on behind the scenes and of which we may never learn.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There were not many men left in our three units, a failed experiment, and In our case, they paid us to go home and keep our yappers shut. Albeit we did do some good and saved quite a few soldiers by getting them out to the hospital ship in time.
No put it simply, it was not a very nice period in my life, but I survived, unlike so many others.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

We foreigners, specially those from countries that didn't have a participation, tend to be very prejudicious regarding US participation in foreign conflicts, but often don't stop to note the maybe among the participants there is a disagreement or a discomfort on such involvement from US governement in those conflicts. It is good to read first hand opnions from those that one way or another, had to be at dire situations. It may be better for those of us that don't know better to hear about the social implications of the societies that somehow were carried to send their youngsters to foreign lands.

Down here the military service is reduced to a draft. I was selected to do the active service, that consisted in a year of going every saturday to receive some military training, to learn to hold a rifle older than my dad, to learn how to use a machete to clear land for reforestation, to learn about disaster help and some first aid. Even when I was at the tallest 10% of the battalion, I wasn't selected for either May 5th Plegde of Alliegance event nor Sep 16th Independence parade.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The most successful among us are always criticized for one thing or another. Being an operative inside a capitalistic economy I see that criticism targeted at large corporations almost every day. Sometimes it seems as if the objections simply are to the fact that the company is successful and large. I suppose the consumers of products and services feel helpless or intimidated in some way by the largeness, but there is a reason why those enterprises achieve the success they do. It's not because they are bullies.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that America receives the same kind of scrutiny from sovereign countries around the world. In some ways our success and strength has been viewed as a stabilizing force, but that does not hold true when it comes to the application of our powers. The use of force is always questioned whether it be an individual, a corporation, or a nation. Nobody likes to be dominated by an overwhelming force. And in particular nobody want to die for a cause they don't support nor care about. On a political level it's a Catch-22 situation. We are condemned for using our force and we are condemned for not doing so.

Down here at the grass roots level you will find people expressing their thoughts across the entire spectrum of opinion no matter what the issue is. Learning about that diversity of viewpoints was one of the reasons I put Brainformation in the public forum. I wanted to learn what others were thinking, not only about us but about their own situations. It wasn't just an intellectual exercise on my part. I truly thought a better understanding of people would be a positive and worthwhile endeavor. Thus I am grateful that you find some enlightenment in the comments presented here. I doubt that we will solve any of the world's problems, but perhaps we will be less likely to cause more problems if we understand who we are sharing this planet with.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I wish our country didn't do away with the draft. Seems like it has had a negative affect on the following generations.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Be careful what you wish for ...
The Senate Armed Services Committee has approved language in its annual defense policy bill that would require women to register for the draft.
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/5644 ... -for-draft
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

yogi wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 16:48 Be careful what you wish for ...
The Senate Armed Services Committee has approved language in its annual defense policy bill that would require women to register for the draft.
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/5644 ... -for-draft
As in Israel. It was somehow confusing seeing young girls in fatigues walking around with their assault rifles. Over here, since it has changed to DNIII training and alfabetization efforts, it was opened to voluntary female service apart from the draft for males.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The idea of women in combat situations received mixed reviews when it was first brought up here. There were questions about whether or not a female could effectively protect her male counterparts when engaging the enemy. I don't recall the exact events but I think women were allowed to enlist but not go into combat scenarios. Unlike males in this country, females do not have to register for possible draft assignment. This ruling by the Senate committee merely formalizes registration. What happens after that has not been considered yet.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Comparing my generation to the ones after ours, especially after they ended the draft.
It really is a sorry sight to see how they've changed for the worst.

During WWII, my mom went to Oregon to work in the shipyards.
Millions of women went to help in the War effort!

My late wife's cousin and his wife moved to Israel and both had to join their armed services in order to become citizens.
But I think it was only for 1 year for her, and 1-1/2 to 2 years for him, so long ago I don't recall anymore.

One thing for certain, the military taught discipline, something the last couple of generations have very little of.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Life certainly is more complicated in 2021 than it was back when I was a kid. I can't say which era was better, although I often refer to the "good old days." But, were they really that good? We can get into a long philosophical discussion about it all which I doubt would result in a conclusion we could all agree upon, but I can say this much with certainty. The existence of a military draft does not determine whether a generation of young people are better or worse than their predecessors. I am willing to concede that discipline is an essential part of being a member of the military. How that transfers to civilian life as an asset remains obscure in my mind. And, besides, a highly disciplined female confronting me with an AK 47, somehow, doesn't appeal to me as being a desirable social quality. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

No matter what era you lived in, technology has always advanced, so nobody want's to go back to doing things the old hard way with not so great tools.
But at the time, and not knowing what the future holds, we thought we had the latest and greatest tools for the jobs at hand.
That being said, also consider how technology has dumbed down many things, while the prices for them skyrocket.
The toys my parents had to play with in their youth were amazing, well constructed, and would last forever. Their parents had little time for toys. Our kids have all the fancy electronic gizmo's that last only a month or two then get discarded, either because they quit working or because they got tired of them way to fast.
It is hard to find a kid these days who has a meaningful hobby. And most don't have the skills to do much of anything, really.

Were the good old days better? At the time we lived them, absolutely!
And there are many things about the good old days of our era we wish we still had, and could afford if they still exist.
Nearly every muscle car I ever owned, cost about 16 weeks salary. Not that we could devote our entire salary into buying a car, we spread out the payments or saved up and paid cash for them. A 3 year car loan was easily affordable for nearly everyone.
Today, a decent car costs over 96 weeks of the average working class salary, that over six times higher, gross inflation.

The prices on some things, after going up continually for awhile, finally started coming back down, as companies built larger faster machines to make them in massive bulk amounts, and competition among the big guns cause some prices to come down and stay down. Even though the salaries are six time higher, and the big companies making millions, technology helped tremendously in some areas. But you have to ask yourself, at what or who's expense? The quality is just not there anymore!

My grandparents, and parents, and I'm sure those before them, took great pride in their quality of workmanship, and most folks were honest and reliable. Our generation saw the decline of honesty and reliability, but the quality was still there. Today, trying to find anyone reliable is very hard, and the quality of everything has gone down to rock bottom. Honesty, does it even exist anymore? It does, but it is far and few between!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Gary" wrote:Were the good old days better? At the time we lived them, absolutely!
By extension and using the same logic I then must conclude that we are today living in the best times of our lives.

Four years before my birth, 1940, the global population was 2.3 billion people. In 2021 that number has increased to 7.7 billion. The resources available on planet earth, however, remained the same. When you give those facts some thought it becomes obvious that twice as many people depending on a fixed amount of resources is going to be problematic at some point. The role of technology not only has been to be more productive with a given set of resources but also to uplift the standard of living. I dare say both yours and my standard of living has improved over the many decades we have roamed the planet. I don't think you can disagree with that, but I know you also are very concerned about the quality of life. By that I mean that not every individual living in these modern times has access to all the components of an elevated standard of living. Thus, while we may be living in the best of times, not all of us have access to the best. You give an eloquent description of why that is true.

You and I have seen a variety of "generations" come into being and fade into the background. In some respects each one of those generations are different than their predecessors. It's fairly common to say those differences are worse than what our own generation experienced, but that is taking things out of context. The quote from above says that we did our best at a given point in time. Every generation after ours likewise did their best. The take away is that each generation has different needs and is faced with different challenges. It's not a good comparison to weigh today's Millennial generation against the Baby Boomers for example. Circumstances for each of those groups are vastly different and it is unfair to compare one generation's efforts against those of a completely different generation. The context is so different that any attempt to compare would not seem valid. The question is, are those Millennials making the same best effort as were those Baby Boomers? From my experience I would say, yes.

EDIT:
I updated the population figures to the year 2021 (7.7B instead of 4.4B)
Last edited by yogi on 02 Aug 2021, 15:50, edited 2 times in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I would have to say the current generation is the laziest generation in all of history!
And those who do strive to have or develop jobs want to charge or get paid 3 to 5 times what those types of jobs are worth.

Our mode of travel has changed how far people can go for things.
The days of a mom n pop grocery store every other block or three has changed to mega-stores one every three miles.
Heck, just in Des Peres alone, we had over 17 mom n pop grocery stores, and/or butcher shops with provisions.
As chains began to grow, many of them had to close down, but a few joined up with the main provisioners, such as AG, IGA, and others, so they could sell for less and have a larger inventory. Even so, mom n pop gave way to the larger foodliners, who in turn finally gave way to the super grocery outlets. Basically 20 families lost their industry to one or two major players.

The good side of that is more uniform merchandise that was readily available everywhere, and often much safer health wise too.
Those who used to own the grocery stores often went to work at the larger stores, especially early on when they were in need of experienced butchers, diary, and produce managers, etc. But working for someone, and being your own store owner is not the same thing.

Kids today want an upper management position, and very few really want to work in the factories or as a laborer. And those who do, because of poor skillsets, want to earn as much as middle management and higher ups.

I see the Divide between the haves and the have nots growing exponentially. And if you add in those who are retired on fixed incomes, these massive inflation hikes are hurting them the most.
My wife sees folks every day who don't have the brains God gave a goose earning tremendous salaries and wasting money on frivolous things. They think nothing of spending 400 dollars on a beer cooler, simply because of the name on the side of the cooler. The sad thing is, their actual job they perform is one that was normally handled by someone making 150 to 250 dollars a week, not double that per day.

I was literally floored when I learned one of Debi's cousins earns 35 dollars per hour as a dairy truck driver to grocery stores. He does have to load up at the dairy, then go into the stores and stock the shelves with their product. Then move on to the next store and do the same thing, then head back to the dairy to return what he took off the shelves for food pantries to come pick up.
I had a cousin who also worked in the dairy department of Schnucks. He was paid 250 bucks a week, NOT PER DAY.
The only way they can pay a driver/stock boy 35 bucks an hour is if that is how much higher the price for the products are to cover it.

You tell me, if a person only makes $2.50 per hour, how can they afford to buy the merchandise of someone being paid $35.00 per hour? That is basically the average pay after what is taken out of a persons social security check for them to live on and pay everything else from.
Sad, very sad!