WWW Code For Sale as NFT

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: WWW Code For Sale as NFT

Post by yogi »

What you just described seems to fit the requirements of physical artwork. NTF's are not physical, although they can be rendered as such. You certainly must know that every digital photograph has a ton of metadata included. That metadata is not printable, but it can be read with the right software. I'm not positive that's where NTF's put their unique ID, but it would be something like that. It's in the image file but something in addition to the image information. There are programs easily obtained and used to create that file as there are programs that will create a unique signature key. Apparently knowing what that key is makes you the owner. It's not enough to have physical possession.

I've read about cyber attacks being made from simply viewing an image. The executable code to run the attack is embedded in the image data between the individual pixels so to speak. Viewing the image runs the code. That's why you should never read e-mail from an unknown source. Of course Thunderbird by default will not display images, but they are easily enabled which is what a lot of folks end up doing. Most of the time it's innocuous. Once in a while it makes toast out of your computer.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

That's one reason I never click on a link I've seen on Social Media, or received from someone I don't know.
I could copy an attachment into a sandbox to open it, but most of the time I'm just not interested in what the attachment is.

That being said, most of my orders come in as a pdf attachment, but they are from a known company I deal with.

One does have to wonder what enjoyment someone who floods the Internet with malware does get out of it.
They don't know the people they are attacking, since much of it spreads from person to person after the fact.
Other than being EVIL people to start with, I don't see how they derive pleasure, since they would not know who they hit.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The big news in the cyber security world this morning is a ransomware attack coming out of Russia and shutting down a few hundred companies. Apparently only one caught the bug and it has spread through their network operations. What fun is that for the Russian hacker? This one is a slap in the face to our president who threatened the Russian leader with an appropriate response if they didn't stop doing what they are doing. Well, it remains to be seen how this will play out. To answer your question the pleasure in this case is the obvious political and military implications. But hackers not quite up to the level of state actors derive pleasure just from having the ability to cause chaos. And, if the ransomware is effective, it can also be profitable. Outside of ransomware the malware is either designed to steal a person's identity information and/or to attach your machine to a botnet for future nefarious purposes. There are also those advertising bots that like to take command of your browser, but while annoying as hell they are usually easily defeated. The greatest threat, however, is not from the Russians or dark web marketers. The greatest problem is from internal people who are ticked off with the company for one reason or another. They get satisfaction in the form of revenge. Their numbers in fact are huge compared to the outside intrusions you hear about in the news.

Like yourself I seldom have an interest in attachments or links that are unsolicited. Generally their intent is obvious. There are times when I do want to see exactly who was trying to do what. That's where virtual machines come in handy. So far I've not found any bad guys by using the VM's, but it is a sandbox that I trust. In fact I have been considering abandoning regular machines and only using VM's.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I was working for Trading Times newspaper, although I worked in the graphics department, I had to come in on Saturday nights to run all the galley strips, and after that was completed, run a backup of the entire system on a separate set of platters.
An employee they fired about a month prior to my ever working there just happened to still have a key to the place. He let himself in on Sunday morning and wiped both of their hard drives sets of platters.
In the vault were three sets of platters, I only knew what the one I ran backup on was for.
Come Monday morning when they opened, they found the entire system was down.
They had to wait about an hour for the big boss to get there. He took a look at it, went to the vault and reinstalled the OS from the first platter, reinstalled the programs from the second platter, and reinstalled all the records from the third platter I ran backup on.
What amazed me was it only took about 10 minutes to reinstall the OS, another 15 minutes to install all the programs, and about 30 minutes to restore the data records. Once everything was up and running, he was back out the door just shy of being there an hour. He did grumble at my boss for not knowing what to do and bothering him, but then she was afraid to even run backup herself.
I nearly gave her a heart attack when I told her how I managed to run backup when the platter stack had a broken handle, hi hi.
I told her no biggie, I just used a pliers to unlock and pull the stack out. Poor lady nearly freaked out, hi hi.
Ironically, when the same thing happened to her about a month later, she called me to come in and get the platters out so she could run backup. She watched me like a hawk, biting her nails the whole time too, hi hi.

I think the reason I never put my important stuff, like accounting on a computer with Internet capability is because it can't get attacked from outside that way.
Seems to me, a large company would keep everything in-house, and for the few things they need to use the Internet for, they would have a stand-alone system used for that purpose and that purpose only. They could then validate the data before sending it into their in-house system.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's hard for me to imagine backup disks that need pliers or a handle to pull them out of the recording device. LOL I know those things were how it was all done, but WOW. We have come a long way, baby.

Motorola was excessive about security because they were bleeding edge technology and their existence depended on it. Stealing company secrets was not invented when computers became readily available. It existed a long time prior to that era. My role in that capacity was to put the data on tapes that were stored in a fireproof safe. It might have been bomb proof too considering the way it was built. Thus the data I backed up was safe, but that assumed the original was clean to begin with. Back in those days we didn't have the same kind of bad actors that are common today and Trojans were just a theory. These days with ransomware being the attack vector de jour zero trust systems and air gap storage might not be enough.

Keeping your data off the public network is an excellent start, but it's not flawless. You undoubtedly transfer that data from a live system to it's off line repository, and THAT is where the vulnerabilities reside. Your transfer medium has to be proven clean as well as the data you are transporting. Sounds like an easy job, but there are no guarantees. Also, it's got to be comforting to know that you have off line and more than likely clean backups. But, have you ever tried to use that off line data to restore your system? I never did either. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

That's exactly how the WANG Hard Drive for the VS System worked.
It had a permanent set of platters in the bottom of the cabinet, and a removable set of platters in the top of the cabinet.
They were at least 18 to 20 inches in diameter, and stack of like 5 or 6 platters.
All the mechanical parts were exposed, which is why the room had to be dust free.
Also, the room had to be kept at a precise temperature or you could lose data, although we never lost data at either place where WANG VS systems were used, Tradin' Times or our Florist.

They did have a tape backup cabinet at Tradin' Times, but only one type of file was stored on it. The ads people paid for that had expired for either 6 months or a year. I had no part of backing those up to the tape drive cabinet.
The platters were stored in a vault, but was more like a gun safe than a bank vault type of vault.
It was an odd vault though, because it had two sets of tumblers. The one on the left was set by the boss lady, and a piece of tape placed over it so it didn't get changed. I used the one on the right to open the vault to take the platters in and out.
Apparently, they used to spin the left dial on Saturday night after backup was run, so it took both combinations to open the safe on Monday morning. I assume once they began running galley strips on Saturdays instead of Friday nights, they decided to tape it so the setting didn't change. Ironically, I never had to set the entire combination, because whoever was in that cabinet on Friday, always only turned the dial to the right by about 5 numbers. So, if I turned it back 5 numbers, I could open it without going through the whole routine.

NO, I only back up the DATA, not the system. Well, I do backup the Home directory on a local drive, but not on the drive I haul back and forth. Heck, the data takes a couple of hours to back up as it is, hi hi RSync is even slow if you used it to backup something else, which I usually have done in between off-site backups.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The Wang computer you had was a classic. Some of the old time disc drives I read about were similar but of IBM origins if I recall correctly. It sounds like they were playing a dangerous game by allowing the innards to be exposed to the ambient room atmosphere. Maybe back in those days a particle of dust here and there didn't matter, but today's HDD's would crash if a dist particle was in the wrong place.

I also find it interesting that two combinations were needed to open the safe. My gun safe has tumblers and a key that they claim cannot be duplicated. Well, not at the Ace hardware store anyway, but back at the factory they would be able to come up with something. I don't keep any of my backups in that safe but I do keep hard copies of my massive list of passwords. Even that is kind of pointless because should my wife need that list some day she still wouldn't know what to do with the computer. LOL

I'm guessing that I have something between 8-10 GB of data that I backup periodically. That's the total from several different drives. Putting it all on a portable SSD takes about 15 minutes. I'm doing it all with Windows, of course, but rsync might cut down that time significantly. My comment about recovery comes from experience. Everybody does backups of one kind or another, but nobody I know (outside of corporations) actually tired to recover using the backup data. For all they know it's corrupt and cant be done. There's only one way to find out.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I worked at Tradin' Times, there Wang was the VS 100, while the one we bought was the VS 300, both only had like 512k memory, and I think their hard drive which was in a different shaped cabinet than ours, was only 30 megs or 5 megs per platter, while ours had 10 megs per platter or 60 megs total.

I had several locks, padlocks, that used a special key that could not be duplicated by a normal machine. Only a few locksmiths had the type of machine required to make duplicates.
Of other Safes that I have seen with dual tumblers they also had two doors, a large door and a smaller door high up and either centered or near the hinged side.
Grandpa had a safe that had an outer door with tumblers, and then a second safe inside the back right corner also with dial and tumblers. I never understood the purpose of that at first. A few employee's had access to the main door of the safe so they could get out money for the registers and the register drawers, etc. But the one on the right is where he kept his ledger books, and probably more cash in there too. There was also a slot in the left side where you could slip a thick envelope and it would stay in a tin sleeve inside the safe.
You know, now that I think about it a bit more, that Safe at Tradin' Times with the two tumblers could be because they bought it used from a railroad company. And I don't think I could get into the entire safe, only the area where the platters were stored. But the whole front door did open, but not the door behind it to access the whole safe. Too many years ago to remember for sure.

I tried backing up my entire Wang XP computer a couple of times, and although the backup ran great with no errors, it could not be reinstalled onto a blank hard drive. I later learned why and I would have had to make a clone of the working drive to move it to another drive or another computer.
I tried that again a number of years later using Clone Zilla and was able to copy everything from a small drive to a much larger drive, but it made a partition the size of the one I took everything off of. So then I had to use a program to expand the partition, and after that it crashed, hi hi. So I just erased the drive and reinstalled the OS from new, and used copies of my files to reload the new hard drive. But nowadays I keep all of my data on external drives, at least two of them from the git go. I use the internal hd drive for the program and only current files, which get copied over to an external each time I finish with one. Then the external gets backed up to another external. I've been really lax about copying it to the drive I carry from the house though.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Backups can be done in many different ways. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them. A place like Motorola wants to stay in business 24/7 and I'd guess the quickest way to get back on line would be by using a previously made system image. After that was installed and running, then the backup data can be applied. To keep going non-stop would require more than one server. Should one be struck by a thermal nuclear device, there would be others located at several distant points in the world with mirror images. A personal business such as your own might not need to go to that extreme. It is mandatory, however, to keep several copies of the important data and in more than one physical location if possible. You can afford to install the OS and programs manually much like what you had to do after the ransomware attack.

Aside from the small safe in which we kept the data tapes, I worked in an office once that had a walk in safe. About a dozen people could fit in it comfortably if necessary. It came with the building we were leasing and not much of importance actually was stored in the safe. The managers' secretary would keep some papers in there in a metal box but anybody could have walked in and take the box. The door to the safe was open all day long. The only remarkable thing about that safe was the standing joke about having safe sex with the secretary. She didn't think it was all that funny.

I've copied live systems to a new disk a few times using Acronis software. When I purchased the new medium they included the software with it. It wasn't a full backup version - I would have to pay for that - but it worked perfectly to copy an OS from one disc to another without incident.

Something remarkable happened while I was typing this response to you. I'm using a Firefox browser clone called Waterfox. I like it because it's light weight. I had all the above typed out neatly and was getting ready to submit when I accidentally closed the browser. Since I do not have it set to retain the previous session, I was feeling ticked off at myself for being so clumsy. I also thought of the times you told me something similar happened to you. I fired up Waterfox and got the blank screen I expected. Then I looked at the history and this edit page was not there. However, for some reason I never noticed before that the History tab has an option to "restore previous session" at the top. I clicked it, and voila. The unsubmitted editing page was there just as I left it. I don't know if Firefox for Linux has that option, but you might want to look for it the next time you loose a web page. :mrgreen:
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

yogi wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 22:07 Something remarkable happened while I was typing this response to you. I'm using a Firefox browser clone called Waterfox. I like it because it's light weight. I had all the above typed out neatly and was getting ready to submit when I accidentally closed the browser. Since I do not have it set to retain the previous session, I was feeling ticked off at myself for being so clumsy. I also thought of the times you told me something similar happened to you. I fired up Waterfox and got the blank screen I expected. Then I looked at the history and this edit page was not there. However, for some reason I never noticed before that the History tab has an option to "restore previous session" at the top. I clicked it, and voila. The unsubmitted editing page was there just as I left it. I don't know if Firefox for Linux has that option, but you might want to look for it the next time you loose a web page. :mrgreen:
Firefox has it. it is in History - Restore Previous Season. Seamonkey (what I use) also has it, in Go - Restore Previous Season.
yogi

Post by yogi »

~juan
While I never used that option in the History Tab, I have tried to recover lost edit pages by using the back arrow to recall the page out of cache. That works as long as I don't close the browser beforehand. It fascinates me that there is a way to preserve in real time what is being typed into this edit box, in other words the browser session. I have recovered lost sessions in the past, but never was able to retrieve text that was not submitted yet. It's all very interesting to me.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Before my brother moved to a different building and changed his computer system. I used to save a copy of my backup drive to a drive I sent him which was connected to his computer, I'm in Knoxville, TN and he was in St. Charles, MO, so if my house and garage both burned down, or got blown up, I would still have my data. Although in the case of the latter I probably wouldn't need it anymore since I would have been blown up too, hi hi.

When I worked at MRTC they had a humongous walk in safe where all the original drawings were stored. It too was open all day, but locked up tight at night before we all left for the day. And inside of it were a couple of smaller safes that I have no idea what was in them. Only the big shots from across the drive had access to those little safes.

I've tried using Restore Previous Session after losing everything. It didn't work for me, because whatever it was I hit, took me back to the log-in screen. So using that button only took me back to the same place I was at.
Now if I accidentally close the browser, it might get me back to where I was, but the text is usually gone.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Before my brother moved to a different building and changed his computer system. I used to save a copy of my backup drive to a drive I sent him which was connected to his computer, I'm in Knoxville, TN and he was in St. Charles, MO, so if my house and garage both burned down, or got blown up, I would still have my data. Although in the case of the latter I probably wouldn't need it anymore since I would have been blown up too, hi hi.

When I worked at MRTC they had a humongous walk in safe where all the original drawings were stored. It too was open all day, but locked up tight at night before we all left for the day. And inside of it were a couple of smaller safes that I have no idea what was in them. Only the big shots from across the drive had access to those little safes.

I've tried using Restore Previous Session after losing everything. It didn't work for me, because whatever it was I hit, took me back to the log-in screen. So using that button only took me back to the same place I was at.
Now if I accidentally close the browser, it might get me back to where I was, but the text is usually gone.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yep, there is more than one way to lose the web page you are working on. The edit box is a form in the HTML and I can see how that form could be saved somewhere in the browser along with the rest of the page. I've never been able to get back the content of the form even though I have seen the page in history. In the past when I fetched the page from history, the content of the edit form has always been blank. This time restoring the session brought it all back. Apparently what I did was unique and not like I've lost information in the past. Then, too, they are always updating and making changes to the way the browser works. Maybe what I discovered is something new for this browser.

I don't know exactly how Motorola made mirror copies of business critical computer environments. I do know there were several locations throughout the world from which we could recover if necessary. I like the idea of making mirror copies. It would not replace backups but it would reduce the need for redundant backups. Plus, every time I had to restore a system some data was lost. Nothing would be lost if I had a mirror. The downside of the mirror is that it would also replicate any malware that might infect a system.

You were doing the right thing by sending backups to your brother here in Missouri. It's not clear how the connection was made, but I know my NAS has capability of storing remote backups so that it would not matter what computers are on my LAN. The NAS would be configured as a cloud server or a simple file sharing server that is complete onto itself. In fact it would work as long as the modem was connected to the Internet. I suppose my router would have to be working too, but none of the other items on the LAN was affect the NAS storage function.,
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My first NAS did mirror copy, basically the same data on two drives, so if one drive failed, we still had the other.
So long ago now I don't exactly remember how it was set up, probably as a RAID array?
But you are right, what virus or malware you get will be copied to the mirror.

I don't know if you remember a problem I once had where I said I could fetch data, but could not send it to a remote machine. I had this problem for a time both on the local LAN and on a machine connected to the Internet I had access to.
On the local LAN I could Mount a drive on another machine and got it to work, but couldn't get it to work on a machine over the Internet.
We eventually got it to work using RSync and SSH run from a Cron Job, provided my brother didn't change anything on his machine from how we had it set up. It worked perfectly this way for about 3 years, then he changed to a new computer and I had no idea how we got it to work by then.
He found a program for Windows that allowed him to access my shared external hard drive using a password. So he was able to set up the program to connect to my drive and copy anything on it that changed since the last time he accessed it. Soon he automated this process so it ran every night at 3 am in the morning. And that is how it worked until he moved to a new building and downsized and no longer had his server style computer. He had one main computer and 8 workstations back when we were doing this, plus he had an IT guy who kept everything humming for him, so even he didn't know how it was done.

I tried setting up SSH to a remote drive down at the house and never got it just right, so instead I was using the NAS I got from you for a while. But now I'm just back to carrying an external drive from the house up to my office and copying my backup drive over to it using RSync. It seems these days, to do it remotely over SSH, you need keys which I never learned about.
yogi

Post by yogi »

SSH, they claim, is pretty basic and simple to use. It's a secure shell protocol and definitely what you would want to use to transfer anything over the Internet. It is the way HTTPs works, using the SSL function or secure socket layer. The thing that makes it secure is the fact that the transmitted data is encrypted. And, if you ever encrypted anything at all, you must know that you need a secret code to do it. That same secret code would be used to read it all back. So, all that's needed is to encrypt the data you want to send and that makes the transaction secure. If the receiving end wants to read or manipulate that encrypted data, they will need the code you used to scramble it. That's the simple part. Unfortunately, everybody and their cousin can use free and open source code to create a GUI interface. That GUI may or may not be user friendly, and knowing how Linux bit heads think I doubt that it would be as simple as the theory behind it. LOL

The NAS I have is just one model grade above the one you have, meaning the processor is faster and there is slightly more RAM in it. I know I've seen settings for enabling remote communications and cloud services. But that's as far as I ever got. I never had a need to do anything more in that regard because all my backups are done manually through the Windows share function. All my Linux installations can connect to those Windows shares and manipulate the files - that's one test for whether or not I bother using that version of Linux. From the standpoint of Windows the connection to the NAS is via SAMBA. Thus I have no problem with any of my Linux installs communicating with Window 7, 10, or 11. Doing that remotely, however, could be a different story.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

That's interesting. I don't ever remember using anything more than a password back when I used SSH with RSync. But then it's been a lot of years and I haven't used it since.
I do use Samba to connect to the NAS through the LAN, and have no idea if it uses SSH or some other protocol. It works so I don't mess with it, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think Samba uses ... Samba. The security layers are a protocol onto themselves. I know the security in SSH and SSL have to do with encryption, but I can't say for sure if intervention on the user's part is required. There are protocols where the user is required to supply an encryption key, but HTTPs, for exampel, does it all on its own. The Tor browser is probably the most secure way of surfing the Internet, and it encrypts everything from end to end. You might never know it because it's all internal and under the hood.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm getting more forgetful of late.
I think this is because after you study something and get it working the way you want it to, then just touch a button to make it run over the next few years, or have it set up to run on its own. You forget how you set it up in the first place.
I wanted to copy some data from one computer to another using RSync and I forgot how to MOUNT the drive in order to do that, hi hi. What I had written down in my notes on how to do it, I must have left out something important, hi hi.
So I wound up doing it the old slow way, of copying the data to an external drive first, then moving the external drive to the computer I wanted the data on. Olde age is wiping out all of my gray matter way too fast, hi hi.

I hear a lot of people are encrypting their hard drive.S
I've never done it, for the same reason I don't trust things that use a controller card like Raid systems.
If your computer fries and you have to move your hard drive to a new computer, how do you access all that encrypted data?
yogi

Post by yogi »

If your computer fries and you have to move your hard drive to a new computer, how do you access all that encrypted data?
The first thing to keep in mind is that the encryption of a file or a drive is performed by a program. Both Linux and Windows have such programs embedded in their operating systems. That same program also allows for reading the encrypted device. A digital key is used as part of the encryption process. That key is resident in the encrypted file/device. It's usually not stored on the computer that generated the encryption for the exact reasons you mention. Thus, if you fry the original computer but the encrypted external drive is still working, all that is needed is to plug that drive into a computer which has a copy of the program used for encryption.

For example, Windows has a program called Bit Locker which is the encryption program. It only encrypts entire hard drives, and I don't know what the equivalent program in Linux is called nor what it is capable of encrypting. I'm guessing it's similar to Bit Locker. One day I decided it was a good idea to encrypt the external hard drive on which I keep my important files - not sure that would stop ransomware, but it definitely would slow them down because they could not read the files they want to capture.

All went well for a few years. Then I decided I was tired of running Windows on a MBR formatted hard drive. I bought an SSD and did a clean install of Windows 7 on it (that was a story and a half which I probably documented here somewhere) and changed the format to GPT for UEFI booting. In essence the operating system was new and on a different hard drive that used a different disk format than the original. There was no problem whatsoever reading the encrypted external hard drive after I supplied the key. I can't think of any reason why Linux would be any different other than having different names for it's encryption package.

All the above only works if your brain is properly configured and engaged. I know from personal experience that old human memory isn't as reliable as young memory cells, but they are not broken. The retrieval process is what deteriorates, not the data. Therefore, writing it all down in a way that will trigger memory recovery is critical. In some ways I'm fortunate in that regard. Much of my Life at Motorola was spent writing instructions for (computer) illiterate people to read and operate complex electronic equipment. Also, I had a lot of programming experience and knew from that what was important to document. So, now, I'm retired and getting old, but all that experience with Motorola left it's mark.

The approach I now use for preserving critical information about my computer is something like I did at Motorola.
  • The first step is to develop the technique.
    Test it and re-test it to make sure that the method is fool proof because the biggest fool of all (me) is going to need this at some inopportune moment in the future.
  • The next step is documenting the procedure.
    This might involve taking pictures, saving webpage links, and carefully constructed scrips that are unambiguous and easy to read.
  • Every step, and I do mean EVERY step, should be documented. Make no assumptions that anything about this procedure will be recallable in the future.
  • The next step is to do the procedure using only what you wrote about it and in the specific order in which the tasks must be performed.
    If it involves invoking scripts, copy and paste the code you put into the instructions to verify that what you wrote actually works.
  • Once the documented procedure is verified, then the final test would be to give it to another person and see if they can execute the instructions successfully.
    That's actually an option, but it does make things more or less bulletproof.
  • The last step is to make several copies and keep them in places you won't forget where they are located.
    That's actually the most difficult part of this who technique. LOL
I'm sure you know most if not all of the above. It takes time and forethought to go into such detail for what might be a trivial task. The value of doing it becomes clear at times such as you describe in your response; you need to do something simple, but can't recall how. Also, documenting things allows other people to do it should you happen to not be around