Non-Fungible Tokens

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Non-Fungible Tokens

Post by yogi »

I've suspected all along that the plastic which is recycled is only a small percentage of what is produced and wasted. Sorting it all out using expensive equipment is probably the best way to go after the initial investment, but are there enough customers to justify the cost? I am suspicious of that too. About the most novel approach to recycling that I've read about is the discovery of microbes that eat the stuff. I never found out what the output of the microbes might be, but all those plastic pellets don't just vanish when a bug eats them. It probably ends up being yogurt for all I know. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya on the new bacteria that eats plastic. What is their effluent anyhow? It might be worse than the plastic.

Years ago, I invented a home-brew device to separate eggshells into their individual components. Most of which was only waste for what I was after. I did get the end product I wanted, but it did not do what I wanted it to do, but all was not lost. It made the perfect substrate for reef aquaria. Couldn't use it in freshwater aquaria or it would dissolve adding way to much free calcium which you don't want in freshwater. I did finally find a way to make it work for my intended purpose, but it was more expensive to do than using conventional methods of the era.

Density separated plastics are not all that hard of an operation, but using acids to break it down into a liquid that needs refining to separate the liquid into its individual ingredients is not yet a feasible or cost effective method, but it will be some day.

The invention of plastics has virtually changed the world, and we've now been using plastics for over a hundred years.
It takes up so little room in a landfill, I don't know what the big deal about plastics is anyhow. Some day in the future when the ingredients become scarce, then it might be affordable to mine them from our landfills, profitably.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Without giving it much analysis I can think of one obvious problem with plastic. Per one Google search result, there is too much of it.
At least 8 million tons of plastic end up in our oceans every year, and make up 80% of all marine debris from surface waters to deep-sea sediments. Marine species ingest or are entangled by plastic debris, which causes severe injuries and deaths.
Why is all that plastic being dumped into the oceans? A lot of dead fish wash up on the shores and are found to have micro plastic pellets in their digestive tracts. I suppose that isn't a problem for us humans, unless we eat the fish guts, or just want to eat the fish that died from plastic poisoning.

Your creative genius never ceases to amaze me. All I know about repurposing egg shells is that they make great fertilizer ... along with used coffee grounds. We never ate enough eggs in our house to test out that theory, but it sounds right. :grin:

On a slightly different note, I am wondering if you have any experience with induction cooking stoves. I did a little reading about them recently and they have all the properties that would convince me cooking with electric is a good idea. I'd prefer some testimony from somebody with experience if I could find that person.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Kellemora wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 19:08 Although only about 9% of our plastic waste is taken to recyclers.
There are a few recycling places who sort out the plastics, while others grind it all together and let the major plastics recycle them in their density towers.
One place I read about uses both towers and things like a refinery uses to separate oils.
The density of the 6 main types of common plastics are easily shredded and separated after washing. But that doesn't mean it is a cheap operation to perform. But still much cheaper than make the plastic into a liquid and the using a refinery style process.
Polyethylene mostly gets milled and pressed back into new items, or chemically transformed to polyester... Polyvinyl Chloride is mostly milled and moulded into entrance rugs, as well as vulcanized rubber... Packing film is mostly dissolved with solvents to make new plastics. I've never seen Bakelite recycled...
yogi

Post by yogi »

Did you know Bakelite is polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride? LOL
I guess technically it's plastic, but when I worked with it it was more like a resin with fibers embedded. Not sure it could be used for anything else.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

99% of the plastics ending up in the oceans is not coming from our country. OK, it could be 95% due to illegal dumping!

Nearly all of America's garbage goes into landfills, or is used for fuel after some recycling takes place.
One of the big complaints right now is plastic bags.
It would take a normal shopper over 5 years to amass enough plastic bags to fill a 6 inch cube of space in a landfill.
And if you figure most folks use those plastic bags for another purpose before discarding, it could easily take them 10 years to fill a 6 inch cube of space.
And contrary to popular belief, plastics do decompose in a landfill, slow for sure, but they still do. Simply because of the amount of plastics in a landfill, who knows, someday they may be tapped in a manner like we tap for oil, to pump out the liquid they turn into over numerous years.

Yes we had an induction cooktop at Barb's house.
They put out EMF that can mess up a lot of things in the house, like my ham gear and the TV.
If pots are not perfectly flat, and sometimes even if they are perfectly flat, they will hum like a bad ballast.
The expensive copper coils don't have a very long lifespan either.
Seems like they claimed something like 10,000 hours, but we didn't get them out of them at all.
In fact, the new coil that was replaced burned out in less than a year.
It was under warranty, but they said it burned out because the installer didn't replace it properly.
It also uses more electric than a normal electric stove when it shouldn't.
Some pan do work better than others, but not all pans will work, must be able to stick a magnet to them.
Some stainless steel pots do have a steel disk embedded in the bottom so they will work.
But aluminum and cheaper stainless steel pans don't work.
MY ADVICE: Don't get one! Can't use them with glass or ceramic dishes either.
You can buy a small single burner portable countertop unit if you want to give them a try.

Before plastics, we had ton's of Bakelite items. Everything from ash trays to light switches, and pull boxes too.
Many knobs on things were all Bakelite at one time also.
It is not recyclable!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thank you for the critical review Gary. I know those induction stoves work by using electromagnetism and it seems logical to me that the cookware must be magnetic in order to work. One lady I was talking to about it, however, claims that her aluminum cookware and copper cookware work just fine. Neither of those are made of magnetic material. I find your point about humming to be very interesting because I know for a fact that none of my cookware is perfectly flat. Some pans that I purchased new since I've lived here are now warped. They have only seen the electric cook top so that I don't know what else would cause that.

I'm attracted by the claim that the induction cooking elements run cool and that the heat is way easier to control than gas or conventional electric. Sometimes I must wait twenty minutes or so for our electric burners to cool down enough to even attempt cleaning them. Even then there is a ton of burnt grease embedded into the ceramic top after normal use. That just doesn't happen with induction. It looks like a new induction stove would cost around $2,000 so that while I like what I've heard about them the cost is seriously high.

I found two estimates (not counting yours) for the time it takes plastic bags to decompose in landfills:
10 - 1000 years, or
20 - 500 years
all which depends on what the bag is made from.
Then, I found this comment related to decomposition:
It takes 1,000 years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Unfortunately, the bags don't break down completely but instead photo-degrade, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/pro ... facts.html

So, apparently, plastic bags do decompose, but not into anything that is useful.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Whoa horse. The burners do get hot, not from themselves but from the bottom of the pan sitting on them. And being the top is made of ceramic it holds the heat just like an electric heating element cooktop, just not as hot and for not as long. You touch that top after removing a pan and you'll still get a nasty burn.

A lot of pots and pans that appear to be copper, are either laminated over steel, or copper washed iron.
After some usage, those which are copper washed iron will begin to wear through and rust on the bottom. Or in scratches on the inside of the pan.
None of our super cheap aluminum pots worked, but the more expensive ones did, and they had heavier bottoms, so I assume they have a layer of steel inside the bottom. Almost all pots n pans that are laminated work just fine.

If you do get a pot that is buzzing like an old fluorescent light fixture, just move the pan around a little bit and it will quit.

I had almost all cast iron cookware when we bought our first Corning Counterrange, electric heating elements.
But a lot of those skillets had a ring on the bottom.
I took them down to Valley Crankshaft Grinding and Motor Rebuilding Company in Valley Park and had them use their Head Milling Machine to make all of them perfectly flat on the bottom. They did such a good job I eventually took all of our cast iron to them. They got a little fancy on the last batch and made a circular design on the bottom of them, looked nice, worked great.

If you put a sheet of plastic over a screen door, outside, exposed to sunlight and the elements. You'll only end up with a pile of plastic flakes after a year or two.
Buried where the sunlight cannot reach means the plastic will last a lot longer.
But consider this if you will.
On my second year down here, after I tilled the garden, we used red plastic sheets under the rows of tomatoes as an experiment. At the end of the growing season, after we pulled the plants and added them to the compost pile, we could not pick up the plastic, it just broke up on us. So I ran the tiller over the garden and chopped it all up. I also dumped tons of cigarette butts in the garden as well, at least 20 gallons throughout the course of a growing season.
When I tilled the next year, there were very few flakes of red showing up, and only a little fuzz from the butts.
By about the third year, we never saw any red or any fuzz from the butts.
Now you might say they became so microsized I couldn't see them, but that's the point isn't it?

On another note, in landfills they are always adding enzymes to the landfill.
Perhaps if there is enough plastic in there, some bacteria may form that thrives on plastics.
Maybe converting them back into oil, who knows. Albeit, most plastic films are actually made from natural gas, not oil.

As far as calling pollution, I don't see it that way myself. We dig a hole, take stuff out of the hole, turn it into something usefull, and when it reaches its end of life, it goes back into a hole. Even stuff we recycle eventually ends up back in a hole in the ground. If we didn't fill all those holes back up again, oh my!

Maybe not useful at this time, but give it 10,000 years and it might become more valuable than gold!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I guess I didn't state things clearly. Regarding induction stoves I do know the ceramic surface gets hot. But, as you point out, the heat is from the cooking pan and not from the glowing red heating element below the ceramic. There is A LOT LESS heat being transferred to the ceramic and thus it takes a lot less time for it to cool down. I've read reviews saying it's easier to control the heat, but I don't know exactly what they were talking about. One thing I despise about electric cooking in general is the ridiculous amount of time it takes for the temperature in the pan to change. That's due to the heating element not losing it's heat fast enough or heating up as quickly as a gas flame is from the get-go. I still haven't adjusted completely to the nuances of electric cooking which is one reason why I'm looking at alternative methods.

According to the Biological Diversity Organization I linked to in my previous response, the plastic bags simply "decompose" into smaller particles. Yes, that is the point but not a good point. Organic material does the same thing but it can be reintegrated with the soil to provide nutrients. Plastic doesn't integrate and in fact forms and collects toxins instead. So, yes, it's all back in the soil where it came from, but now the composition is toxic. To say it might be useful stuff 10,000 years from now doesn't help the current generation of human one iota. Besides, it looks like we might be getting ready to migrate to Mars. 100 centuries from now the earth will likely be barren and we will all be Martians. :razz:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If you want instant heat like gas without the danger of fire from an open flame, then you may like Inductance stoves.
Like gas, an Induction stove responds instantly to temperature changes, only the pan itself is slower to cool down.
Electric burners need to heat up the element, and if a ceramic cooktop, also has to heat the ceramic, then the pots n pans.
They also cool down much slower as well. But the new pulsing burners have super accurate temperature settings.

I've never seen any proof that plastics become toxic as they break down. Why would they be any more toxic than natural gas, or for those made from oils, any more toxic than the oil they are made from.
Landfills are sealed so there is no leaking into the water table, so they do not affect our drinking water, rivers or lakes either.

Regarding Mars, I don't think it can become inhabitable due to the high radiation levels.
At one time I used to say us white folks (pink skinned people) came from Mars hundreds of thousands of years ago, after wars on Mars turned the whole planet radioactive, hi hi. Not claiming that is true, just a theory is all, hi hi.
Archaeologists are finding out a lot more about the people who lived here 60 million years ago and longer. Some of them were pretty high tech and had abilities we have yet to rediscover.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm undecided about changing the kitchen stove, but I am excited to know that there might be a good compromise between electric and gas. I like gas because I used it all my life and am very familiar with cooking with it. But, gas burns and fills the room with whatever the end product of combustion happens to be. Apparently it's not very lethal because I survived 71 years with gas burners on the kitchen stove, not to mention the furnace and hot water heater, both which are vented to the outside; he said hopefully.

I can't argue the point about toxicity of plastic in a garbage dump because I'm not familiar enough with biochemistry or landfill science. I do know that I've read from several sources who do have knowledge and claim the end results are not good. Be that all as it may, I don't see any major improvements in the biosphere coming any time soon.

There are indeed a lot of legends and imaginative explanations about how we actually got here. One version that I'm slightly amenable to is that this planet was in fact visited by extraterrestrial life many eons ago. Nobody gave a reason for why they left, but we are said to be here because of whatever debris they dropped off during their explorations. Could be they buried all their crap in a landfill, which decomposed into something else, and here we are. I don't know about the radiation on mars, but there are plans to establish colonies there, and on the moon as well. People on this planet are living in places like Chernobyl - not many, but still - so why not mars? If we are clever enough to get there in the first place, we will be clever enough to figure out how to deal with the environment. And, by the way, all those extinct martians are not extinct. They are living under the surface where they can't be observed. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If you like the sensitivity of gas stoves, you'll probably like the inductance type just as well.
And if you hear the pot humming like a fluorescent ballast, just jiggle it around a little.

I don't see plastics as harmful are polluting. We take stuff from the ground, make it, use it awhile, then put it back in the ground.

If you follow things in archaeology, they keep finding things that prove man was here millions of years before originally thought.
Also, when you look at some of the architecture. More modern folks just used and added to what was already there.
There is evidence on some stones and columns that show rotary boring and drilling marks from millions of years before metals were used by our most ancient known ancestors. So I often wonder, could it be people were here before dinosaurs and died out, then again right after dinosaurs who built up great knowledge and tools, all of which were lost for some reason. It is amazing some of the things archaeologists have discovered. Who knows, maybe they even had the power of levitation or some tool that did the same thing to move all those heavy cut stones. Or it could have been aliens, hi hi.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

yogi wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 13:04 More amazing would be life in Mexico City. The topology of the land there is diverse, but best of all is that it is 7000+ feet above sea level. I can only imagine how spectacular the views must be over there.
There's a site for that, apart from Google. They have links to live webcams in many points around the country.
In order to avoid direct links, the site is webcamsdemexico_dot_com
As of the moment I'm posting, visibility here in Mexico City is around 15 km... The Sierra de Guadalupe hills to the north of Metropolitan Area are barely visible from downtown. Fog and smog are quite prevalent at this moment...
yogi

Post by yogi »

~Juan
Sometimes the most simple things in life amaze me. For example, you and I are writing to each other and sharing our knowledge over a distance of 1757 miles via US-59 N. LOL Yes, I had to look that up. However, even more amazing than our ability to communicate with each other is that I am now looking at a live image of Puerto Vallarta, thanks to the information you passed along. It's beautiful to watch, and it simply boggles my mind that it is possible. Then there is Guardalajara with it's traffic circle. :yikes:

~Gary
I really get frustrated with this electric cooking at times. You would think after 5 years of doing it that I would be proficient by now. I can cook up a delicious meal, but it's a pain doing it more often than not. To add insult to injury, cleaning this monster of a stove is a challenge from Hell. To be honest it was not a simple task cleaning the gas stove burners either, but at least the grease didn't show and demand attention immediately. I'll keep you posted if I make the change. For the moment it's only an idea.

I don't know about the possibility of intelligent life on earth millions of years ago. Tools and agricultural techniques from ancient Babylonia have been shown to be far more advanced than we thought possible for that era, but that's about as far back as documented evidence goes. There is a persistent saga about a civilization that existed something like 25,000 years ago. Evidence of that comes from central America as well as Asia Minor. That idea is plausible and the timing is exquisite. Our galaxy rotates about 1 revolution per 25,000 years so that there could be a correlation. But, alas, there is no hard evidence, which doesn't mean it never happened.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I agree, the things found on the Internet do boggle the mind. Lot's and lots of things to see out there, many amazing things too!

On an induction stove, you are going to have the same carbon buildup around the edges of the pan as you do on a ceramic top stove. It's just not burned on as hard so is easier to get off.
Personally, I've never liked gas stoves, especially for using a frying skillet on.
But I loved my 16 burner gas grill at the restaurant. Our Char-Broiler was electric, I had both, preferred the electric for reasons of keeping it clean.

I follow a lot of archaeology sites, not that I understand a lot of them, and don't buy into some of the well it could have been that way commentary. But when they pop up with artifacts that you know don't fit the era they are claimed to be from, you just gotta wonder how they came to be, and when.
I think the thing that I find most interesting is the interlocking building block designs used and how wide spread they are around the globe, in years before they thought travel was even possible. New structures built over old foundations of design that were no longer used in the next age of stone building. Who built those first buildings? and when?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Some of the reviews I've seen speak to how much easier it is to clean the cook top of an induction stove. I like that. You are right about the gas burners and grills being a tough task to keep clean. However, to be perfectly honest, I'd just let the crud build up and take one day to thoroughly clean all the appendages. That would not work on the electric stove because the buildup of cremated grease on the burner rim affects the cooking ability after enough of it builds up. Thus it's best to clean that top at least superficially every time it's used.

I used to use amonia to clean the gas grills. When that didn't work the hydrochloric acid in oven cleaner would do amazing things. Then, for a while when wife was not able to do all the chores, we hired a cleaning service to come tidy things up once a week. These ladies were Spanish speaking and did a really good job with everything they touched. To my amazement they also cleaned the grill work on the kitchen stove. I didn't expect them to include that in the service, plus they did a better job than me and all the acid cleaners I used. So I asked the lady what she used to get that grill work so clean. She pulled out a bottle of green liquid. It had no label and all she said was it came from the company she worked for. Mystery Green Goo, or something. LOL

Archeology is a very interesting subject, but it's not a well disciplined science. There is a lot of guess work and speculation involved, and much of the evidence they have is circumstantial. Just because we can't figure out how they did something 5,000 years ago does not mean it was mysterious. I'm certain the architects back then were at least as creative as the ones we have today building skyscrapers. I don't know if you tried to reverse engineer anything, but I can assure you it's not an easy pursuit. Reverse engineering an ancient culture is even more speculative. However, I do agree with you in that some of the speculations are thought provoking.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think Debi uses industrial strength vinegar on the cooktop when she wants to get it sparkling clean. Maybe with some baking soda too. Me, I just use 50% muriatic acid and a razor blade, then finish up with Bar Keepers Friend.

We have a foam oven cleaner we use on the BBQ grill and it gets it nearly spotless real fast.

I don't follow archaeology religiously, I just like to see what things they find and figure out what they may have possible been used for. As you said, all the speculation about something is just hype with no substance to back up the claims. Even so, some of the things they uncovered is really most interesting.
yogi

Post by yogi »

A razor is essential for cleaning the electric stove top. I tried several things to clean the top of the electric stove including the Oxalic acid you recommended, but none of them were 100% effective by themselves. By chance I bought some Weimans cleaner. I've used a paste from them and that requires a lot of elbow grease to apply. Then I bought the liquid which came with a sponge. That stuff works the best of all the methods I've tried, but there are times when the razor must still be used in addition to Weiman's goo. I'm not sure that it's a benefit or not, but the Weiman's goo polishes the surface and leaves a film of some sort. That makes it shiny but doesn't do anything for performance. After 5 years of experimenting I have come up with a routine that will pass inspection every time. Spray pure vinegar on the top and let sit for a while. Sponge that with diluted dish soap. Wipe it all off with a paper towel. Apply Weiman's cream and let that sit for at least an hour. Then use the razor blade for anything remaining. That's the full routine but I only go as far in the steps as it takes to make me satisfied, which isn't always a perfectly clean cook top. LOL

I am a curious bird and would love to know the details of how we all got to this planet. I know what seems logical to me, and I also know I have limitations in my understanding of things. I'm convinced it all involves quantum fields and everything after the resulting creation was naturally and spontaneously manifest. Given the circumstances, this planet, life, and the ensuing civilization could not have evolved any differently. The details would be most interesting to know, but pretty much pointless. Knowing where we have been doesn't seem to be an advantage in deciding where we are going next.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Oxalic Acid is in Bar Keepers Friend, but not as much as they used to put in it, so we add extra to it, hi hi.

There were a few overpriced things I bought just for ceramic cooktops and none of them ever worked very well.
I had an aunt, deceased now, we always called her Mrs. Clean, hi hi.
She had these round stainless steel flat plates with a slightly raised edge she owned for years.
Had them made for her when she had a gas stove, and later after she moved used them on her Corning Counterrange.
This way her stove always stayed clean. When those plates got super dirty, she put them in the oven during self-cleaning mode, which turned them sorta bluish looking. And then would put them in the dishwasher each time she did a load of dishes.
She about blew her top one holiday when her daughter started cooking something on her cooktop without using those stainless steel plates, hi hi.

Civilizations have come and gone many times over the many millions of years of earths inhabitable existence.
So I don't doubt our civilization will some day die out also. And either the end of our planet finally comes, or another civilization will spring back up again. They may all be robots too, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Bartenders Friend works well on the bottom of the pots that get scorched on the electric stove. Even there, however, the bottoms need to be scrubbed and cleaned regularly or the crud will build up and act as an insulator from the heat of the cooking element. They claim it won't scratch ceramic, but I'm paranoid in that regard. I was even hesitant to use the oxalic acid by itself for fear of what it might do to the finish on the stove. It didn't do much of anything, not even to the grease. It softened things up a bit to make it easier to wipe clean, but that only worked up to a point. The last layer of burnt grease simply can't be removed chemically. LOL

A sure fire way of cleaning the crud off the gas stove burners was to place them in a shallow pan filled with amonia. Then bake it all for a couple hours on low heat. Let it sit over night and the goo comes sliding off easily in the morning. I tried amonia on the electric stove, but I swear I heard that cooker laughing at me while I was doing it.