Ordering Online

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Ordering Online

Post by yogi »

I don't see junk by the curbs in O'Fallon because there are rules and the people here tend to follow them. I'm fairly certain it was not legal back home to leave junk by the curb for some unknown entity to come by and remove. However, I don't think anything ever remained unattended for more than a day or two. There was one exception I began to worry about. We got rid of our water softener and they put the old filter out in the back yard for me to do with as I please. I drained it of all the liquid just to make it lighter. Then I dragged it to the curb. It was quite a bit of metal but if you know anything about these kind of filters you knew there is a lot of non-metal material on the inside. In other words I wasn't sure it would get picked up. And, it took nearly a week before somebody decided to take it. I probably would have received a citation if it was out there much longer.

Roper Range were a popular thing in my early childhood. Mom had something else, but they advertised and sold a lot of Roper products where I lived. Today I believe it's Whirlpool that owns or manufacturers Roper products. I never did like Whirlpool and if Roper is on that level of quality I'm glad to not have one. Then, again, they were gas ranges. I still miss the old gas cook top.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Ordering Online

Post by Kellemora »

Where I lived in Creve Coeur I paid a small fee extra for them to pick up my cans from beside the garage. They would also take nearly anything I set between the two cans also. Many things they did not dump into the garbage truck. Instead they would hang things from the side of the truck. It was not uncommon to see a bicycle or car fender clanging around on the outside of the truck, hi hi.
Now where my dad lived, they had all kinds of rules similar to what you mentioned. Dad had a roller cart that held two cans, and he tied the lids to the roller cart with a long heavy twine, since they trash folks never put the lids back on. They could not take their trash to the curb until after 8 pm for the routes with an early morning pick-up schedule, or before 10 am if they were on an afternoon pick-up schedule. There was a small war for a time with the HOA because people worked and could not get their cans back up to the house before noon if they were on the morning pick-up. So they pushed it up until 6 pm, only dad usually didn't get home from work until 7:30 pm or later. After going to a couple of their meetings, they finally quit pestering him.

Roper appliances used to be made by White Manufacturing. Which I think did merge with Westinghouse somewhere along the line. How they got taken over by Whirlpool I have no idea. I do know their washers and dryers were made by GE in later years, but slightly better than GE's own brand of that same model. GE also made the same unit for J. C. Penny's and it too was better than GE's own brand of that model. The key difference was the three stage clutch, where GE only had a single stage clutch.
.I was glad for my own home use that I bought the Penncrest over the GE, especially since I learned about the clutch system.
It never died! Was sold at auction when we moved. Along with everything else not bolted down, hi hi.