FWIW

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: FWIW

Post by yogi »

Hopefully you won't catch anything before you become immunized. I'm not too worried about my genes given that it's physically impossible for me to pass any of them on to some future generation. Weighing the risks of damage from COVID vs theoretical damage from gene modification, I think I did what is best for me. I'll keep you posted about any third eye growth, however. :yikes:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Same here, too old to do anything, hi hi.

If I get covid with my terminal illnesses, they will be terminal anyhow, only faster.

I'm still going to wait for the pill they are working on!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I just took my wife over to WalMart for her second dose of Moderna. It's been more than an hour and she is still conscious and without evidence of any unusual growths on her forehead. I suppose, however, we will have to wait at least two weeks to feel confident.

There is ample evidence that the injections are safe and effective. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the exceptions do not create the rule. From what you describe here of your lifestyle, catching the COVID-19 virus is unlikely. You are at high risk if you do catch it, but what are the odds of you being in a position that makes you vulnerable to receiving the virus? Maybe not zero, but pretty damned close to it. Most likely you would not benefit from a vaccine, or a pill, or any anti-virus medicine. By the time an oral prevention is commonly available COVID-19 will be history. Chances of your computer getting a virus are greater than you personally getting one so the strategy of not taking any defensive action at all might be the correct one for you.
Last edited by yogi on 03 Apr 2021, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've seen at least 7 deaths from the vaccine, directly related to the vaccine, and more adverse side-affects than I care to count.
This is one reason I will wait for something without mRNA in it, such as the pill. It may not work, but it won't change my body either.
yogi

Post by yogi »

As of 2 April, 2021 ....
1,645,755 Americans given single dose
997,513 Americans given two doses
7 Americans reported dead after vaccine injection

mRNA is a messenger, a single strand of RNA material, which is not the same as DNA. The mRNA is used to deliver the vaccine.
I'm no expert at any of this and can't tell you what the implications, complications, or misunderstandings are about the process. We all have to weigh the risks vs the benefits and come to our own conclusions. So far, I have no regrets. I doubt that you will either. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

J&J Vaccines recalled due to contamination.

No other vaccination of any kind has mRNA in it.
And where is the mRNA coming from. I've heard aborted babies? Don't know if that is true or not though.
And according to the CDC's own rules of determining a vaccine, the Covid shot doesn't meet those criteria.
Even so, CDC still calls it a vaccine. Hypocrites!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm sure your sources of information about the vaccines are impeccable. You might want to read this article to add to what you already know. Toward the end of it is an explanation of what mRNA is all about.
REFERENCE: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... ccine-safe

Again, I'll tell you that I don't know a lot about this process. I understand it to be similar to something we have talked about in the past involving treatment of cancer. You have pointed out that there are known ways of aiming drugs at specific cancer cells and you have asked why it isn't possible to develop an anti-cancer drug with that capability as opposed to the kill-all approach of chemotherapy. mRNA is the answer. It targets specific viruses and prevents them from developing. That's all it does. It doesn't change anything else in the body, especially not the genetic material composing DNA.

As far as CDC definitions are concerned, you are partly correct. No vaccine ever produced in the past works the same way as what is being used to mitigate COVID-19. They call it a vaccine because, well, it is a vaccine. It's just not the run of the mill variety we have been used to. And how it's produced is immaterial when it comes to my personal health and well being. But then, that's just me.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

An interesting read Yogi!

But they do admit to it being able to replicate itself many times over, creating antibodies that recognize the spikes on Covid.
Again, once this is in your body, what if they find a cure-all for major diseases and that cure-all happens to have spikes?

I'll wait!
yogi

Post by yogi »

You took the time to become informed. My mission is accomplished. :mrgreen:
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Greetings.

I'm replying 72 hours after getting my first shot of Astra Zeneca anti COVID vaccine. By the way, Sis also had hers along with that of his husband, even when they live in another municipality 30 km away.

As when taking my parents for their first shot, the shots were administered by Health ministry and Mexican Armyrmy health personell in large vaccination centers located in easy to reach points.

We all had to register ourselves in a federal site to make the appointment for our shots, and had to wait that our location got scheduled in the vaccination calendar. Luckyly, when the 50-59 tier register openend, I've already turned 50, so I could register myself without issues.

I went to the municipality main explanade, as when taking my parents. With the difference that, opposed to the long lines that were back then in April, there was no line before reaching the vaccination facility.

Over at Zuckerberger's, I posted a photo of myself after the shot. The big tents where the vaccines were administered were located at this explanade:
https://goo.gl/maps/zT3fNaoQwUEkCpbv6

https://www.facebook.com/jjgalvan/posts ... 3286000179

So, I just need to wait a bit more. Next week opens the time window for the second dose of Astra Zeneca for my parents, and mine is going to wait another two to three months.

What I was pondering, was about the "One size fits all" dosing of the vaccine, not that I wanted a larger dose, but realizing that while I'm a 1.83 and 90 kg guy, among neighbors that average 1.65 and 60 kg it seemd like what I replied to one of my secundaria friends: "In some cases, the reaction may seem like an one to one fight, and in others, the dose might tire after getting lost cruising all over the body of the individual".
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thank you, Juan, for updating us on your experiences with the COVID vaccine. The photo of the explanade is impressive. It looks like they are prepared to handle large numbers of people in a timely fashion. I was among the first tier to receive the Pfizer vaccine. It was administered at the local hospital in a very efficient manner considering the circumstances. They were prepared to inject at least 25 people simultaneously so that literally hundreds of vaccines were administered during any given hour. My wife was part of the second tier because she is slightly younger than I am. By the time she got the Moderna version, it was available at WalMart with almost no wait time. Only a few people were in the waiting room and they moved along rather quickly. A lot of planning went into this vaccination campaign and just about everyone here who wants the shot already has had at least one. Now that I'm fully vaccinated I can more or less travel and do things as I please. Many people, about half, still wear masks while shopping and in restaurants. But, the panic seems to be subsiding and life is headed back to normal. So it seems.

I don't know if body mass has anything to do with the production of antibodies. Those little germs reproduce quickly and thoroughly no matter what your body type happens to be. The quality of your immune system would seem to have much more influence than anything else.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Thanks for the reply about antibody response, and understand what are you meaning to, since it seems the virus attacks not the globules, but rather the oxigen and nutrient exchange zones at capilars, thus provoking clots that do all the damage in the individuals.
Yep, the explanade is quite large. The tents may have been able to hold around 500 seated people with the 1.5 m separation in eight groups, meaning that while doses were prepared for a group, in anotther one they were injected, in another they were receiving people and in the rest they were checking if the people was OK. The whole process since the nurse that injected my dose from the moment he took the prepared syringe from a cooler to the moment he discarded the needle and the barrel with the plunger in separate containers took under a minute. He was very friendly the whole time. I took a video to prove it but haven't published it.

There were five locations in the municipality for the doses. The one I went to,
one at a municipal sports center, https://goo.gl/maps/fVzPXSNmb413WZmq7
at the sport area of a housing complex, https://goo.gl/maps/MQCTpfR57jgWsMEYA
at a park in the east side of the municipality, https://goo.gl/maps/Cqhx6Zu5QivUNLL19
and in the parking lot of the local Costco, for vehicular access. https://goo.gl/maps/3Z57rkUidGivZgUD8

I was aware that the best vaccine is the one that we get administered with, but somehow there was a certain attraction to the Astra Zeneca one since it is a traditional one and because part of the partnership that financed it was from "Uncle Charly"'s heatlh foundation...

https://fundacioncarlosslim.org/english ... n-america/
yogi

Post by yogi »

It pleases me greatly to know that the distribution of the vaccine ha been well planned in other places besides the hospital in which I received mine. In a fashion similar to what you describe there were several steps to be followed for that first vaccination. Everybody had to reserve a spot through a website established just for that purpose. In the beginning it was all done by reservation; no walk-ins were allowed. Thus the first stop was at a counter to verify your reservation and to fill out some paperwork. Then the paperwork was taken to a room where they check to verify that it was filled in correctly. They also wanted insurance information if we had any. There was supposed to be no cost so that I am not sure why they needed my insurance card. The next room was filled with nurses at desks. There were at least 25 and maybe more. They administered the shot and sent us to a recovery area in less than two minutes. We all were told to wait 15 minutes before leaving to be certain we would not have an adverse reaction. The interesting part about that was the fact we were to call 911 (emergency response team) if we did have a reaction. All this was inside the hospital but they would not do anything for you at the vaccine center should it cause problems. The second round was a little less complicated in that all the paperwork was complete, but a reservation was still required. Today, that is no longer the case.

Apparently there are several versions of the COVID-19 vaccine. They all have different levels of protection, and since different pharmaceutical companies are involved, the end products are not identical either. I've read about some hesitancy to use the Astra Zeneca version in some European countries. I'm not sure what the concern was at the time, but apparently all the problems have been resolved. Unfortunately I know nothing about the Carlos Slim Foundation, but judging by the article you cited they did a great job of getting the vaccine produced and distributed in your part of the world. Here the same type of effort was put forth by the government, meaning tax dollars were used to get the vaccine developed and approved in record time. Getting it into everybody's arm is a different story, but as of today it seems that anyone who wants it can get it easily.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Down here no insurance info was required, mostly the paperwork was for record purposes... What I found strange is that they didn't use the vaccination section on our health booklets, which the various government funded health institutes use for medical history followup... Anyway, we keep our anticovid vaccination registry papers folded in the booklets.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm not sure there is any official record keeping going on here regarding vaccinations. We were issued a small card with information about the type of vaccine we got and the dates at which they were administered. Since this was all done at the hospital in which my doctor is a resident, I assume they are capable of keeping my history. It amazes me to no end that there are people who object to being tracked and want no records of their health history available to anybody other than themselves. You would think this is a valid matter of privacy. However, there are times when it would be a good idea to have a medical history freely available, such as an unexpected visit to an Emergency Room. Then, too, there are those who reject the vaccine altogether. We all do what is comfortable for us, I suppose. Apparently about 5 million doses of AstraZeneca are surplus in this country and they are being sent to Mexico as well as other places.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Getting to get my second dose.
Attachments
20210727_135429.jpg
20210727_135429.jpg (102.03 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
yogi

Post by yogi »

There has been talk of a third "booster" dose that might be necessary especially for old timers like myself. Apparently the newest mutation of COVID is infecting a lot of those people who have not been vaccinated. They make up the vast majority of intensive care patients these days. It seems as if another wave of infections is on the horizon and people are being encouraged to mask up even if they have been vaccinated. You look good in the mask, my friend. We may have to keep them on for a lot longer than anticipated.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

I was forgetting, it is two days and fifteen minutes late... Look at the shadows. 19°32' 18" N, 99°11' 44.7" W...

I've heard about the third shot possibility. We must not discard a yearly shot possibility as in the case of the 2009 flu.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I saw a comment on Twitter by a self-proclaimed expert who thinks we are only a few mutations away from a virus that does not respond to vaccines. This reminded me of the H. G. Wells book, War of the Worlds. In that story the invading aliens were here to wipe out humanity. The citizens had no defense against them, but these aliens were not immune to virus infections. Thus they all died from some kind of influenza and the world was saved.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

I've heard that there is an active talk for a reinforcement dose of one of the chinese vaccines. The Cansino single dose one, that was used to innoculate teachers here in Mexico. We may be closer to either third "boosters" or yearly vaccines than we thought.

https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-08-06/