Out of touch - but alive & kicking

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Out of touch - but alive & kicking

Post by yogi »

I'm sure you have met people you dislike instantly without getting to know them first. I know I've had that experience. What is the mechanism for that to occur? Whatever it is must be subjective because the person you sense as bad news might be good news for me. And, exactly what it is we don't like? It's probably two different things between you and I.

Cats, as well as other animals, sense things differently than we humans do. Even if they had identical sensory organs, their brains are not capable of processing those inputs the same way we can. It's said that animals operate on instinct as opposed to reason and logic. The instinct to survive would be the obvious one, and that instinct is what brings out those motor reflex type responses. I'm thinking that defensive reaction has more to do with vision than anything else. Although, I know animals will literally run for their lives when they hear a gunshot.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yeppers, most animals will run from a loud noise, unless they are accustomed to it, like hunting dogs.

I've seen a few people I didn't like from a distance, worked with a couple also I never liked from day one.
Apparently our instincts are correct, I never liked them after I got to know them either, hi hi.
PierrePanache

Post by PierrePanache »

Hi Dennis, Kellemora & all other BF Survivors who may remember me
Just jumped aboard to wish you all a very happy 2022. :clap: I have had some boring non covid health issues that have taken up my time for most of 2021 & now it only hurts when I laugh I thought I would rejoin the conversations. THEN at 1500 hrs yesterday my car alarm decided to go rogue & wake up Sleepy Outer Weybridge - where I live. I now have to work out a system installed to make money for main dealers & at a time when nobody is at their place of work. Abide with me ...................... :nana:
yogi

Post by yogi »

This place has become the personification of those infamous Grumpy Old Men, John Gustafson (Jack Lemmon) and Max Goldman (Walter Matthau) from a movie by the same name. That movie was about two mates, but we here and now welcome contributions from anywhere our signal reaches. A voice from the UK would be particularly welcome, especially one we have not heard from in a dog's age. Covid is still among us, but there is some reason to believe it will soon be history, four years after its formal introduction. I have survived and so has my partner curmudgeon who comes here daily. So, life goes on regardless of all the warnings we encounter from our car alarms. Ahhh, for the good old days of the horse and carriage.

Welcome back mate.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

A voice from the other side of the Big Pond!

I was getting worried that I might be arrested for Vagrancy, seeming like I'm the only one who shows up, hi hi.
Can't count Yogi as one who shows up, since he is a permanent fixture, and this is his house, hi hi.

Been There, Done That, Too OLDE to Remember when or why though!

They don't seem to make parts for us olde antiques anymore, so some day, we will just get scrapped.

Happy New Year!
PierrePanache

Post by PierrePanache »

Great to hear yr both OK
I have finally managed to sort out my rogue alarm & to coin an old saying - 'The silence is deafening!'

My ears are still in a sling but hope to be back to chunter on soon.

Take care
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't think I've ever met anyone with their ears in a sling. I hope it's not painful. :grin:

Y'all come back any time you can. We'll leave the lights on for you.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Haven't been around lately, so I refrained to reply on other threads. Happy new year to the two old grumpy men here... and to all the infrequent visitors form the old Anahuac...

Last week there was a media hype about the commemoration of the 55th anniversary of the last snowfall in the urban core of Mexico City, January 10 - 11th, 1967, four years before I was born... Personally I had to wait until I was 35 to be standing under a snowfall.

May this year be prosperous and beneficial to all of you.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Everybody should experience a snow storm at least once in their life. In many ways it's a beautiful expression of nature. For you more tropical types, it's a reminder of how fortunate you are to live in a warm and snow free climate.

Thank you for your New Year's wishes, Juan. at my age, and being grumpy as I am, they all start to look the same. Maybe this one will be different. I am 77 after all, and seven is supposed to be a lucky number. I'll let you know next year how true that is. LOL
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

yogi wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 22:46 Everybody should experience a snow storm at least once in their life. In many ways it's a beautiful expression of nature. For you more tropical types, it's a reminder of how fortunate you are to live in a warm and snow free climate.

Thank you for your New Year's wishes, Juan. at my age, and being grumpy as I am, they all start to look the same. Maybe this one will be different. I am 77 after all, and seven is supposed to be a lucky number. I'll let you know next year how true that is. LOL
It sounds like saying "Everybody should experience a hurricane/earthquake/hailstorm/tornado at least once in their life". All extreme expressions of nature. It all can be done (first 3 of them so far at either a mildly safe distance or inside safe enough constructions), given there's some way to come unscratched of any of it. Dad just turned 78, yet I still have to relay on second hand comments about how it feels to be there. Just hope to be able to get there... Only 10,000 or so days left.