How To Clear Snow in Kentucky

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: How To Clear Snow in Kentucky

Post by Kellemora »

They build a Six-Flags in or near the Fenton area, and I was only there perhaps twice since it was built, and both of those times were for company picnics where my first wife's mother worked. The only thing we didn't have to pay for was admission, which saved a bundle, but we were limited only to certain rides on our entrance card. Still had a good time though. The biggest amusement park I ever visited was Palisades Park in N.J. but we only went because we saved up coupons from comic books for years, hi hi. Back then gate charges were fairly cheap too!

When I was working at EPCOT, as I said, it was a newly drained swamp, and only the foundations were poured for a few buildings, but no buildings yet, other than the Kraft Land Exhibit, and Living Seas. I rarely saw daylight, per se, since all of my work was technically in the below grade area of the Endotherm greenhouse installing hydroponic equipment.
On my second visit, which was still long before opening day, almost all of the initial buildings were up, and people being trained to work in them.
When I was not working in the Land Exhibit, I would spend time over at Living Seas. In fact, this where I met Julian Sprung a young kid at the time that went on later to build a following for his reef aquarium topics. He so wanted to get a job there, but was too young at the time to be hired.

Believe me, I understand wholeheartedly what you are talking about. They are in every industry! And they ALWAYS think their way is the best way, even when it is the worst way. Even after you show them the pitfalls of their design, they pooh pooh it and go with their idea anyhow. It often costs the company big bucks to correct after the fact too.
As the saying goes - Been there - Done that, hi hi.
When I was working with my patent attorney on the pot liner design, he would say others do it this way, and I would have to explain to him exactly why I cannot do it that way. After a long explanation of why, he would finally understand the reason and say something like Wow you nailed a major problem I would have never thought of.
And it wasn't in just one of my projects either, I bowled him over with things I got to work that he said his research said was impossible to do. At least until after I had working prototypes made and he could see for himself, they did exactly what I said they would do, and even did it better than I expected them too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

If I had a Bucket List, visiting Epcot Theme Park would be high on the list. It's not that I am all that enthused about what they have on display. I simply would love to see the projects you worked on. :mrgreen:

The "Not Invented Here" syndrome is pretty common, I suppose. Part of it is a culture or corporate mindset, but much of it has to do with human nature. If somebody comes up with a better idea than the one the creator thought up, it's an admission of weakness to say the inventor's idea wasn't good enough. There is some ego behind all creative minds. When you can explain why your creation is better, as you did to your patent attorney, then some true genius is mixed in with the ego. LOL

Working with all those well educated engineers was somewhat intimidating. I didn't have a degree and all my electronics came to me in a mail order package. The rest was OJT. Few people questioned me because I was fairly able to keep up with them and cater to their needs. However, I never felt I was creative enough to rise above my peers. At one time Motorola engaged in a training program to educate it's employees in the arts of teamwork and productivity. This was in response to the challenges from our competitors in the cell phone business. Anyway, teams were formed and classes were held. One of the assignments was to pick a person you thought was doing their job well and interview them to see how they came to be that way. All the top brass was interviewed early on and toward the end of the program they were running out of people to interview. That's when I got put on the spot. I was honest and told them exactly how I did it, without a formal education. My story was unique and quite contrary to what they were trying to teach in this program. Education was a big thing in terms of success and all mine was informal. I attribute my popularity and success, such as it was, to me just being as nice a guy as I knew how to be. I never considered myself smarter than the next guy, because I knew I was not. I guess that's a kind of intelligence of its own.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Most of what I worked on is below the stuff you can see above the flooring.
But some of it was above. There are a lot of pipes you don't see hi hi.
The A-Frame misting cabinet is still in use, but has a new control console now.

I remember my second vacation trip down to Epcot, long after I had worked there.
The tour guide just said to me, yeah right fella, when I told her I designed and built that system.
At that time the original control console was still on the unit. It swung open like a door.
So I said, push that button and open the console door and you will find my name etched into the back of the panel, lower right corner, and I handed her my drivers license to compare.
She was hesitant, but decided to do so and check. Once she did she was as apologetic as all get out, hi hi.
Then after that, she wanted to talk to me later after the tour, so we hung around.
We didn't have much time before the next tour started, so didn't cover many of the questions she had.

I understand what you mean about companies thinking college education is a pre-requisite for nearly everything now.
Most functional patents were not invented by people with degrees, but by people who knew by trial and error what worked and what didn't, and kept trying until they finally hit a way that worked, and then they worked on it to improve it even more. But that was the old days before technology took over.
Many things today are so darn complicated, you probably need a degree in several areas to even understand how they work, much less be able to fix them.

You can laugh at this is you want. I needed a couple of tubes for one of my old radios. Nobody made them anymore.
But I had plenty of those old gandy dancer style tubes, and some practice with glass blowing besides.
So, I was able to use parts from those tubes, to make the parts I needed to replace my burned out tubes.
I had the vacuum pump necessary, and a means to take apart a glass tube, cut it, put the parts in, seal it back up, then draw a vacuum on the tube via the bottom tube for that purpose, then seal it using a torch. Once I got the wires soldered into the base it it glued back on, by gosh, they worked and did what I wanted them to do. Perhaps not as good as the store bought new ones, but the point is, they worked, and held up for a lot of years.

I even messed around making a few light bulbs as well, but they never burned for very long.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When you deal with the public you never really know who you are talking to. Anonymity is what makes modern social networks so popular. You can be anybody you want there and there is nobody to dispute who you claim to be. LOL

Higher education was just becoming a necessity when I entered the work force. When you consider what Motorola was making and how they were making it back then, it seems reasonable that a high school diploma would be all you need to do a factory job. Most production managers did not have degrees back then. Today with robots and artificial intelligence running the show a mere high school education doesn't give you many skills to work with. If you actually are running the business and responsible for profits, then even advanced degrees might not be enough. The world is getting more complicated by the day and working harder isn't going to make you a success. You need to work smarter too. Motorola recognized that when they were fighting a global market in order to survive, and that is why they needed to change the culture within the company itself. Also, as I mentioned elsewhere, it's not just the content of classes that benefits you while earning a degree. The process teaches you how to think in addition to providing you with means to find resources of value. I was not the best example, but some people thought I was a success regardless.

I recall those days when it became impossible to find vacuum tubes. I also recall finding one source which claimed to have any tube I wanted, and if not they would make some for me. They were located in Russia, and I was not inclined to deal with them at the time. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Oh I hear ya loud n clear Yogi!
I took all the college classes that if I didn't take them as an auditor, I could have been a CPA and also earned an MBA.
But to be 100% honest about it, I could have learned it all in half the time or less, simply because I was already doing all of it already. Even so, I did pick up several little tidbits I could put to good use for myself back then.
My dad is who actually enrolled me in an advanced accounting class first, since he knew I would be handling the company books some day. And after his heart attack that is exactly what I had to do. By then though, I had already passed most of the college classes and then some beyond what was needed to become a CPA, which is a job I would have never wanted to pursue anyhow, hi hi.

I took all kinds of classes on things I needed to learn, and many of those revolved around plastics when I was trying to invent my light/water meter. But all I learned from that was, you can't do that. Well, I went and did it anyhow and got a patent on my invention too, hi hi.

Glass blowing is not that hard to learn and do. I had already done it as a hobby for a few years prior to making my own radio tubes. I made glass vases we sold in the cut flower shop. Tons of them too!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your education was not the classic one obtained at a university, but then your career wasn't exactly what most of the business school grads go into either. You learned what you needed to know for a specific purpose(s) and it worked well in your case. Many, if not most, graduates are entering a cold marketplace and have barely a clue what exactly they will be doing with their careers. That's where the degree is an absolute necessity. The prospective employer has no way to know how good the applicant is other than the demonstrated accomplishments associated with the degree. Since your family was your employer, you didn't need to prove much. You simply did it.

I've seen a few shows on television regarding glass blowing. It's all very fascinating, and does not look as if it is a complicated skill to learn. There is some creative talent needed if you are making works of art, but you wouldn't be interested in glass blowing if you didn't already have that talent. The show stopper of it all is the furnace(s) required to soften the glass. You don't just go to Walley World and pick up one of them. Even if you could, it would not likely do well in your basement or out in the garage. I have also seen people make jewelry using a torch and a granite block on a tabletop. I suppose you could seal vacuum tubes with something on that scale. Making those vases most likely required something much bigger.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Our flower shop was long gone when I was busy studying how to make my light water meter and taking college classes on plastics. But you are right, I didn't need to learn anything for anyone else. I've always either worked for family or for myself, once I hit age 24 that is.

I actually had chalk semi-forms I used to keep all the vase bases flat and uniform in size, a few of them I used chalk semi-forms where I needed to add an interesting affect.
I only had one form I made for the base I preferred, and four different effects forms for up near the neck.
The top of these form allowed me to blow the glass over them to get the curved top, but I had to remove the form to make the downward fold and flutes were done by hand. But I had to let them cool first so I could cut them from the tube before doing the final edge polish and flute forming part of the operation.
It is simple when you have the right torch and forms.
Making the forms themselves was a dusty pain to do though. I messed up several before I got them the way I wanted.

There are tons of places that sell the glass tubes used for glass blowing. But I ordered mine via mail order for a scientific lab supply company.
The only work surface I had was a marble slab about 3/4 inch thick I got from bathroom remodeler who was throwing it away.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When we had the kitchen remodeled in the last house we had a granite wrap around counter made for a work surface. The sink was in the middle of it. When they cut the hole for the sink they saved a good portion of the cut out and polished it up like they did the counter top. Instead of tossing it as scrap they gave it to us for whatever purpose we could find for it. Well, it was totally useless to us, but we put rubber pads on the bottom of it and kept it on the counter top in an out of the way spot. Bottles of oil and wine were placed on it. It could have been a great work surface for glass work, but I didn't have the other equipment to go with it.

You mention a chalk semi-form that you used for making your vases. I'm trying hard to imagine what that would look like. Does it involve getting a block of limestone and carving it to shape? I can see how that might be a challenge to construct, but then placing hot glass on such a thing doesn't seem right. Wouldn't that destroy the structure of the form given that chalk is such a soft material?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The counter company made a couple of those for us also.
Plus the one they cut out where the sink goes they gave me to use to replace the seat in the bathroom shower. Which I never got around to doing.

Actually, the product is basically Plaster of Paris, mixed probably with Gypsum, and used with more water than you would use for making a plaster casting.
It's the same stuff they use to make Sidewalk Chalk!

When you want to blow a shape and keep all of them to an identical size, have a mold is sorta like using a pair of calipers.
Except in this case, it is like a little stand with shaped chalk pieces held to wood boards, used for exact blowing sizes.
Now when you get into textures and need to use a closed mold, for most things you only have a two piece mold.
Chalk works best because it doesn't steal the heat from your glass when it touches the mold.
I never messed with square designs because that takes a four-piece mold. A spiral can get by with a three-piece mold.

The mold I used to form the base on almost all of the glassware I blew was a simple two-piece mold that only sat on top of the bottom part of the mold, which had a very slight convex center.
You heat the glass tube to close the end, then heat the end to glowing orange, but not above the base area.
Hold the tube in the open top mold and blow to expand the glass to the rim that forms the base of the vase.
As I said, I used the same base on all of the vases I blew. Regardless of what design came above it.

FWIW: Glass blowing sorta fun to do on simple things. I never got into the artsy type of glass blowing where you make little ornamental things. Besides, you need a kiln to temper them in afterward or they will just crack apart.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You may be familiar with Dale Chihuly the glass sculptor. I've seen some shows about how he makes his pieces of art and don't recall seeing any molds, especially not any chalk molds. One thing that amazed me about the shows is that Chihuly doesn't actually do the glass blowing. He has a crew of people who he directs how to do things. Some patterns are laid out by him personally, but the actual sculpting is done by somebody else. Of course that was the show and he may do things a lot differently off camera.

I didn't realize that glass pieces were tempered. It makes sense that they would be given the price tag on most of them. I know people who work with clay and ceramics have to harden their work, but I thought that was mostly for the glazing. It's all pretty interesting to watch but I never got into it. I did buy a bucket of clay one time and spent a few weeks trying to sculpt something. All I can say about that is it must take several years to acquire the talent. I didn't want to wait that long. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I took Crafts in skewl instead of study hall for two years. Learned how to do a lot of things, but they had the equipment there to do them on too. I also tried my hand at pottery, even built a little pedal powered spinner to use. I should have went with an electric motor instead of pedals though.
I did make several ceramic planters for the flower shop though, but those all used molds. The little kiln I had could only hold 4 small planters or two medium sized planters. When I saw my electric bill, I figured it was not at all a profitable venture, hi hi.
I also tried the resin type that is not kilned, but they have to be hand painted and don't look like ceramics. So I decided to make a mold using small weaved basket shaped planters. I could spray paint them, then add a wipe of stain that I wiped off right away and they looked great. Didn't sell enough of them to make that project worthwhile either.

When they make those little glass trinkets where they are drawing the glass in strands and wrapping it around itself to make little ornamental projects, they have to kiln those for a while after they are made, or they will all crack apart.

On a side note: There was a fad for awhile called Fried Marbles. You would heat a marble up on an electric burner type stove by placing them in the grooves of the element, then dropping them in water so they crystallized.
They could be turned into jewelry, but since I was into shooting slingshots at the time, and knew what a solid marble would do, I became curious as to what would happen if I used Fried Marbles instead.
Believe it or not, they had much more kill power, because they would shatter and cut up the prey.
Unfortunately, you can't eat the rabbit because it now has pieces of glass in it.
So, I used up the rest shooting rats, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Like yourself I did everything I could to avoid study hall while I was in high school. I learned how to type on a Royal upright that way. Also took life saving swimming classes and driving lessons. Most of the time, however, I was a hall guard. I was the guy you had to show your pass to when you walked the halls while classes were in session. The best part of that duty was 99% of the time all I did was sit in a chair in the hallways. I could study and do homework if I wanted to, but I seldom did that kind of thing in school. We had a lot of shop classes, and I took four of those. They were all part of the regular curriculum and not something to do during study period. Likewise with band.

Fried marbles ... can't say I recall that fad. I can understand how that would be way more lethal than a solid glass ball too. I had a sling shot when I was a kid but the balls were metal if I recall correctly. Plus, I lived in the city and there were few critters to be hunted other than the neighbors' cats and dogs. There were occasional rats, however. Those were the days when the garbage was stored in a concrete bin out in the alley. Rats used to feed on that all the time. It never occurred to me to try and hit one with the sling shot. Besides, they were pretty quick once they were discovered.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I can't say I ever enjoyed skewl. But did learn a lot in the extra-curricular classes I took instead of study hall.
At hour school, band was a credit class and counted as a regular class. But things like typing, crafts, and a few others were not.
It's a shame schools today don't have shop class. No wonder kids don't know how to do anything themselves anymore.
In grade skewl, I was a crossing guard, which meant I had to go to school a half hour early, and got to leave a half hour late.
But doing various school jobs before and after school earned you brownie points, and 5 brownie points would erase a demerit.
So needless to say, each time we got up to 6 or 7 brownie points, we would do something wrong to get a demerit, hi hi.

Can I brag for a second?
Just like archery tournaments, there are slingshot tournaments, usually at the same location or building.
Shooting slingshots, I earned the highest level possible. Saunders Senior Falcon!
And that was long before I could afford a compound slingshot.

Like archery bows, my slingshot had balancing weights, and a sight.
In the case of high-power slingshots. If you are familiar with one called the Wrist Rocket.
A standard Saunders slingshot had pistol grip and an arm brace, but no balancing weights.
The custom built Saunders slingshot had a pistol grip, arm brace, balancing weights and a sight.
When they temporarily came out with the compound slingshot. The arm brace had to be heavier steel framework, and hooked to your arm. Necessary to keep from breaking your arm. The balancing weights also were of heavier steel. And of course the scope was much nicer.
Like a compound bow, once you pulled back past the center of gravity, they were much easier to hold and aim than a non-compound or regular slingshot. They were deadly, and pretty soon discontinued after a few broken arms. It did have a terrible recoil, hi hi. But it was neat to own one!
yogi

Post by yogi »

If I recall correctly the slingshot I owned was purchased at Woolworths, but I'm pretty sure it cost more than a nickle or a dime. LOL I had a toy and not anything of the caliber you describe. Today a background check and license would probably be necessary to own and operate the kind of sling shots you enjoyed as a youngster.

When I was of high school age there were a few categories of public schools one could attend. The most common was a traditional school that catered to anybody in the district who showed up at the door. The second type of school was a vocational school. Those were like the general schools but the curriculum was highly focused on trades and craft training. I almost signed up for one of those because I heard from one of their students that you did not have to take algebra in order to graduate. But then, you also were not likely to be accepted in any college or university after such training. Then there were the college preparatory schools. Everything you needed to be accepted into the University of Illinois and its kin was mandatory, including algebra. The particular school I went to was considered a magnet school because students from many different districts were allowed to apply for entry. Not all districts had a specific college prep curriculum. As it happened, this particular high school was at one time a vocational school wherein the printing and architecture professions were emphasized. But, they also had wood and electric shops - wood shop was a requirement in that college prep program for some reason. They were also big on automotive repair and must have had about six of those shops. Automobiles were very popular among the older students. A foundry and aviation engine shop was also offered, and I took both of those. I got to play in a Link Trainer that was donated to the school and taught the other kids in the class how to fly in a square pattern. LOL It was a cool shop but totally useless if you did not enter the industry. One thing I remember learning was safety wiring for turbine engine bolts. I aced the test but it was very difficult doing the wiring without nicking the wire. I graduated ranking about in the middle of the college prep group, and then went on to college where I failed after a couple years of trying. I should have gone the vocational route me thinks. LOL

Today shops are not offered because they are useless when applying for college. They are no longer a requirement at the old high school I attended because all that vocational training is now performed by union shops. Most of the things I learned about home repair were taught to me by my dad or I simply fumbled through the project and learned how to do things myself. Besides, why would a female want to take foundry shop? :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I was probably in my 20s when I got into shooting tournament slingshots, hi hi.
I was also working in lieu of my grandpa on my mom's side taking care of a ranch.
So got lots of practice shooting rats around the feed bins.
I also had 22/410 over under that my cousin stole from me.
But couldn't use it around the horses.

When I was in high school, they had almost anything you wanted available to take.
Shop was divided into several different departments too, besides basic shop.
We had an auto shop, machine shop, cabinetry shop, and a metal forming shop.
All of those are gone now.
The girls had several types of home economics type of classes too.
Although home ec taught a little of everything, they still had separate sewing center, advanced cooking center, of which many men also joined the chef and upscale cooking classes.

One of the schools I went to was Chaminade College Prep School. I hated having 4 hours of homework every night, but managed to get through it all.

As far as I'm concerned, colleges are basically useless for 90% of those who attend them.
There are not enough hi-tech or other types of jobs out there for everyone to be upper echelon, hi hi.
Many get out of college only knowing how to do one thing, and often it is something that is no longer used in business.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The downside of my high school was that there were no female students. Two of my uncles attended this same school as I did and it was not coed at that time either. The very next year after I graduated, they changed the rules and allowed female students to enter. This all male school had some social implications on my personal life in the sense that I literally had no experience interacting with the opposite sex of my age until after I graduated. There were weekend socials in the gym and girls from a nearby school were invited. As I understood it, those girls stayed on one side of the gym and the guys stayed on the other. LOL The all male agenda also had an impact on the classes offered. I think that's one reason the school had so many shops; there were no home ec or sewing classes. I might have taken a cooking class if it was available. This was a public school and unique for it being single gendered for so many years. My graduating class numbered in the 900's which means the school was very popular.

All I can say about college is that it teaches a person how to think. Not until you get to graduate school will you learn anything specific. You might be able to take an abundance of classes that coincide with your major, but it's all pretty basic stuff as an undergraduate. My understanding is that you don't graduate from college trained to do a specific job. You come out with an ability to take on any job you choose. Most graduates have a specific field of endeavor in mind, but my math major wife ended up adjusting insurance claims after graduation. She did work her way up the corporate ladder eventually, and I would say her college experience is what gave her to tools to do that. All that learning discipline is not for everybody, and I can understand why college isn't suited for every lifestyle. Some folks can only learn in the School Of Hard Knocks.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Wow, I didn't know any public schools were single gender.
I was raised in Catholic schools where grade schools was mixed gender, but all high schools were single gender.
Chaminade was all male, as was Vianney. The girls school was Ursuline Academy. The year I went to Vianney, the bus company picked up the girls for Ursuline and dropped them off first. It was an old bus we sometimes had to rock back and forth to unstick the starter motor so we could be on our way, hi hi. That was the only year I ever rode a bus to school too.
When I switched to public school, Kirkwood, we all drove our own cars to school.
Those who didn't drive had to take the public bus system, which did run routes geared around schools.
It wasn't until we moved to Creve Coeur and the Parkway School System that public schools had buses.
So my kids all road the public bus, while I had to drive Ruth's kids to their Hebrew Academy, hi hi.

I think college is just the opposite as you indicate. Never been to one that taught you how to think. All I've ever been associated with taught you what to think and how to think that way, hi hi.
My wife Ruth had two majors and a phd. Her phd was in English Grammar, but her two majors were both in chemistry and pharmaceuticals. I don't remember the exact names of her degrees though. In the end she went back to school to become an RN, and then stopped being a nurse to become a medical transcriptionist, which is what she did for about 5 years before I met her and for all the years we were married and up until she died.

My wife's son graduated from law school (talk about expensive) and passed his BAR exam on the first try.
But even then, neither college nor law school taught them how to be a lawyer in real life.
They have to learn the ropes by working for the state or something else until they finally figure out what it is like in the real world of law. Then, even after that, like he says, I only know how to do what I've learned since getting out of school, and that is basically only one or two things. The three or four things I asked him for help with more recently, he simply said he had no idea about what to do. But did know the names of a couple of lawyers I could call that would.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I too was educated in a parochial grammar school that was coed. I know you think universities are narrow minded about teaching, but there is nothing more mind bending than attending classes taught by church authorities. I was pretty young when I figured it out and classified most of the religious doctrine as propaganda. This was an unusual way to think in that kind of environment and I don't know why I didn't just accept the party line like everybody else did. It just seemed (as they would say today) fake. I did learn my ABC's therein for which I am grateful. I did not learn how to read, however. Oh I was literate and knew my English lessons, but the value of reading escaped my notice for the first nine years of my education. By the time I arrived at high school where good reading habits were essential, it was too late.

Looking back at high school, I am like you and wondering why it was allowed to be what it was. I don't recall when the school was established, but my mom's brothers attended that same school and it was old at that time. They told me how good the school was but also warned me that one semester of swimming class was a requirement for graduation, and all the students in that class were naked. The instructors and life guards wore swim suits. There was something very perverted appearing about that class and I don't recall getting a good explanation for why we could not don swim trunks. It was for "health" reasons or something. After the first class it didn't seem so weird, but in today's world I'm certain there would be law suits up the yin yang over that class.

Another oddity about that high school being all male was that all the males where white. Well all but one or two in a school of 4000. As I said this was considered a magnet school that allowed students from a very broad area to attend. They drew a line from east to west and said anybody north of that line can apply. Anybody south was out of the district. Well guess where all the black people lived? It would have been quite a drive for the south siders to attend that high school so that maybe there were some practical considerations too. From the perspective of 2021 there were more than a few shady things happening at that high school, yet it had a very high degree of respect and excellent ratings from the state.

A higher education is in some ways like the grammar school I attended. I learned English there and how to read. But did I learn what to do with that reading ability? No, but my brain was trained to recognize words and put their meaning together to extract information. It was up to me to decide what information I wanted to extract or even if I wanted to extract it. All the discipline required to get credits for a college degree gets you nothing but the discipline of learning; something you don't get when you are educated informally. You learn only what you want to learn informally. In the final analysis it amounts to what happens when you lead a horse to water. It's up to the horse to take action.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Interesting, since one of our major subjects was reading and writing book reports. We had to turn in a book report every other Monday morning like clockwork. As far as English class went, I was one of the top spellers, so was entered in the KMOX Radio Spelling Bee a few times. However, as far as grammar goes, I never could diagram a sentence if my life depended on it. Still can't.

After 1960 we had several blacks in our classes, but we had no swimming pool at any High School I attended.
We did in one grade school, Chaminade, but only got to use it one time in the two years I went there.
Yeppers, swimming nude sound really really odd to me too!
However, after Gym Class we all had to take showers, and we walked from the lockers to the showers naked, and didn't get a towel handed to us until we came out of the showers.

Other than my first two years at a community college, all of my other college classes I took as an auditor, both to save money, and so I could sit in on classes without having the requirements to take that class. Even so, I still learned what I needed to learn from those classes.
The only time I had a full college curriculum was my two years in Canada with Dr. Howard Resh. Other than for my own needs, I really didn't have to pay for anything. He got me a grant for tuition, and I stayed with him for the two years, even after we moved from one college to the next. During that time we also took two overseas trips to Africa to set up farms. All of that was paid for by the government, with absolutely zero amenities, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Book reports ... the first one I ever had to do was in high school. The teacher laughed at me because the book I reported on was something 4th graders (or there abouts) read. We had two weeks to read the book and I never did finish it entirely; Call Of The Wild by Jack London, 232 pages. I'm not sure if used Cliff's Notes to report on this one or not, but I certainly did rely on them extensively for subsequent book reports. That English teacher did sympathize with me to some degree and told me that she knew a Catholic school education was nothing like public schools. I agreed with her but never knew exactly what she was talking about. LOL

Reflecting back on those high school days, nobody was too upset about what was going on there. It was pretty normal for those times. In fact the only reason they allowed females in is because the male applicants started to decline. They had to have a certain number of students in order to stay open. The times have changed and so did the demographics for Chicago. What was "normal" then is not so normal today. The good news is that I made it to retirement age and am now enjoying the fruits of my many years of labor. Never did I expect to be doing it in Missouri, but none of that has anything to do with my education. :grin: