Personal Safety From Google

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Personal Safety From Google

Post by yogi »

My solution to the topic drift that showed up well before you arrived is the emphasis on Chat. There is no defined structure for chat in spite of the fact the topics have titles. When not in the Chat slot, then it's best to keep the content to something useful for a stray researcher that may have lost his way and found our forums. I do get letters from time to time about links we post and are obsolete. I can't believe people keep track of that kind of stuff but they do. You never know who is reading what we put here.

BTW: we were talking about the origins of the universe earlier in this thread, and I found an article today that may shed some light on the subject. It's long and technical and not likely to be fully understood; you may want to just take my word for what I think of the content. LOL Basically the Big Bang is no longer thought to be the beginning of the universe. They can reverse engineer things down to the singularity that created the Big Bang, but the claim is there was a condition before that known as inflation. My impression of "inflation" is very close to what I've been telling you about infinity and how something can unexpectedly pop out of nothing. If you have the time and want to flex your mental muscles, I think the article is a great read. Find it here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... efb1025819
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yes it was long, but also a very interesting read.
Looks like they still agree that the big bang is what we know about our current universe, but something even came before that. Makes sense to me!

My early websites had many links from other websites. Most of those websites were abandoned but they are still out there.
I don't remember now how I did it, but I was able to follow those links back and tell the webmasters my links have changed to a new host provider, but they never corrected them.
Then, since many did fix it, I purposely kept my old original pages so I could include links to the new pages.
This is one reason I had so many folders in my earlier but later produced websites.
I was on Comcast for a lot of years, but when they decided not to host personal pages, I not only had to find a new host, but then once again notify all those who were linked to my pages, but however I did that previously no longer worked or was available. So I just did web searches for all of my page names to find out who had them linked. Even so, very few bothered to make the corrections.
This was OK for my hobby type stuff, but for my business, it was disastrous. Seems once they publish a catalog or magazine, they never go back to change anything. And then when the new magazine or catalog comes out, they just copy over all the old link data. And since my pages on Comcast were personal pages, they didn't allow forwarding, they only allowed that on commercial pages.

I think that just like we have a central agency that controls IP addresses and Web addresses. When someone moves from one hosts domain name to another, there should be a place where this can be noted to redirect old links.
This is no longer a problem for me since I now have my own domain name once again.
Comcast would not let me use my existing domain name when I signed up with them many years ago, so I let it lapse.
Well, I had to actually, because my original host provider owned my own domain name and wanted to charge me big bucks to let it be reregistered to me. It was cheaper and easier to just drop it and use comcast.net for my domain. I never dreamed a company as big as Comcast would dump their users the way they did.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is only one solution to the links going obsolete when the host changes. That solution is to host the site yourself. LOL Otherwise you are at the mercy of the hosting service. I went with a host that only does web hosting so that they have a vested interest in keeping things the same. Hosting is their only business and you don't want to mess with your customers if you don't have any alternatives. This site and the hosting service it uses has been online since 24 November, 2004. That's unheard of for most places this size. Then again, for all practical purposes we really don't exist. :lol:

There must be millions if not billions of websites on the Internet. I can't believe any organization on earth would have the resources or the incentive to keep track of them all and maintain updates of the DNS servers. It's an impossible task.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I thought the purpose of having my own Domain Name was I could move to any host and take my name with me, and the old host would release it to the new host and everyone could still find me regardless of what server I was on?

And on what you just mentioned. Yes a lot of people host their own websites on their own computers. But even then they would still have to have a Domain Name for folks to find their web pages.
AND, isn't that what Domain Name Servers or for?
yogi

Post by yogi »

You don't need a domain name to have a website on the Internet. It would be insane not to have a domain name, but the whole of HTTP works off IP addresses. Those DNS servers only live to translate a domain name to an IP address. If there were no domains, there would not be a need for DNS services. But, who in their right mind could remember all the IP addresses of all the places they visit on the web? Thus domain names are merely a convenience for people and not really necessary for network transfers.

Since the hosting server has an IP address (actually they have a whole block of them and give you one), your domain name is translated to that address by the DNS services on the Internet. That's how the connection is made to your website. If you change the hosting server, that automatically changes the domain-to-IP-address translation. Until all the DNS servers in the world are updated with the new IP address of your host, nobody will be able to find you. Your own personal domain name can in most cases be portable. Technically there is no reason why it can't be used on any hosting server on earth. Some hosting services will not accept your personal domain name and force you to use a name of their own making. That's a business decision and not part of how the Internet works. So, in essence, having your own personal domain name gives you flexibility to choose almost any hosting service you like. Regardless, every time you change hosts, all those DNS translation servers must be updated as well.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

That was the trap I landed in. My first website host provider let us buy a domain name from them, provided it wasn't taken of course. However, they handled the transaction under their own name. I was new to websites and didn't know much about domain names.
Here is basically what happened to me. I had my website as http://www.RAIAR.Inlink.com, like when I was on Comcast at http://StoneBrokeManor.comcast.net
I'm getting ahead of my self. After I started Classic Haus Limted, L.C. I got the domain name CHL.com through my host provider. It was when I had to move to Comcast on their personal pages that I found I could not use my own domain name unless I wanted to pay commercial rates, which of course I didn't. I still kept my website at Inlink, and another one on galilei.com. When I told Inlink I wanted them to transfer my CHL.com domain to another company, namely the galilei/galileo servers. They told me they owned the CHL.com domain name and would be glad to sell it to me for like 150 bucks. They were the registered owner, not me, which irked me big time.
I knew nothing about ICANN at that time. But I quickly learned from information from my newest host provider.
They too had options where they would own it, or you would own it, and they would keep it current for you.
I opted for the one where I own my domain name and can take it with me anywhere should I so choose.
Trouble is, we are talking about 15 years down the road and nearly every name I wanted was taken.
Which is why my domain name is the long version ClassicHausLimited.com I could not get CHL.com or even CHLLC.com they were already taken. Which is basically OK because most people just click on the link anyhow.
And on my new host, I could have unlimited sub-domains, and then they added the Security option to all of my sub-domains so I only had to pay for that once too.

I'm still using my comcast.net e-mail address everywhere, and was thinking of making them using my domain name for the suffix, but I can't get a solid answer that if I do that, and do move to a new host provider, if they will have e-mail boxes I can use with my own domain name. Everybody says yes they will, but then other say, for a fee for each one, hi hi.
At my age, I probably shouldn't bother worrying about it. However, as high priced as Comcast is getting now, I'm worried, but we have no other options other than them here at the present time.

Oh Well, I'm rambling again!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Ooops. I see it made the links blue. The go nowhere now!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Making the links blue is something phpBB does automatically. Having a working link, however, is up to you. LOL

I think we talked about this once in the distant past. There is no technical reason why your personal e-mail name cannot be ported over to any e-mail server in existence. The only reason why it would not work is internal to the hosting service; in other words a business policy decision.

Domain names cannot be owned in the classic sense. The names can be leased from a seller who in turn documents the current owner with a registrar. That's usually done by subscription to the registry from the seller. The registrar determines which names are available, and that's all they do. The actual assignment of a name to an individual or organization is a business transaction separate and apart from registration. RIPE NCC is the not for profit organization that coordinates all the records pertaining to domain names. Thus when you do a "whois" in a terminal you will see what information they have for that given domain. They only service the Americas and you would think they are an authority on the subject, but ownership of a domain name is often by proxy, or hidden. This is a way to conceal who is leasing a given domain but still provide a way to contact the owner should there be problems. Abuse reports are always the responsibility of the domain owner, but you may never know who the real owner is if it's done by proxy.

ClassicHausLimited.com is a much better name than CHLLC.com. The spelled out version gives way more information regarding what the domain might be hosting than does the alphabet soup version. Businesswise the longer version is better.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, all I know is when I wanted to get my domain name, my old ISP wanted to sell it to me.
So, when I did finally get one, I made sure it was through ICANN and shows my name with it.

I've had my domain name now for a long time, and I guess being long was not bad, since most folks just click on a link.
I'm glad you said using the whole name like that is better than just the short version using a few letters.

And since I have unlimited sub-domains, I'm good to go if I ever want to add more. Of course that will probably never happen, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

ICANN is the same as RIPE but covers more territory. It was my understanding that you could not buy, rent, or lease domain names from any of the registrars. That part of the deal is done through a broker who pays the registrar for access to their database. I'm certain there is a lot I don't know about the process and it might be possible to lease the same domain name if two different sellers are involved. However, considering the wide area of coverage for ICANN and RIPE it would seem very difficult to accomplish such a thing. The bottom line is that you have your personal domain name and are happy with the hosting arrangements. It doesn't really matter who is keeping track of it all as long as those DNS servers keep pointing to where you want them to. :mrgreen:

The advantage of the long domain name is mostly in search engines. Looking up "Classic House" would get the searcher to your site. Who would think to look up CHLLC?
Last edited by yogi on 22 Sep 2020, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, this time I made sure I got a receipt showing I own the domain name, now where I put it is anybodies guess, hi hi.

I had problems with StoneBroke Manor for years. Although that was whole name, if someone searched for StoneBroke Manor, they always got Stonebrook Manor first, then if they insisted on StoneBroke it came up as StoneBroke of Falconer.
Or even StoneBroke Manor of Falconer.
HA, I just checked and sure enough it first came up with Stonebrook Manor, but then when I said search only for StoneBroke Manor, I came up at the TOP, Yay! Right under me was Falconer of StoneBroke Manor.
I've used StoneBroke Manor ever since my BBS days, which were before the Internet. And my first website on the Internet was StoneBroke Manor.
According to the WhoIs database inklink.com is still active and up to date. I guess someone else bought the domain name?
They were my ISP. I did find my StoneBroke Manor on Inlink as far back as November 7, 1996. But I know I was on there in 1994 because I was one of their very first customers.

I was hoping to just get may original CHL.com back.
Oh well, no matter now!
yogi

Post by yogi »

If you expand the whois entry, there is usually a listing to which you can report abuse. It often has an email address of a real person. Also, sometimes the records are updated and the editor leaves their name. That's another way to get to who owns what. And, just because somebody else is leasing the domain name you want, that does not mean it isn't available to you. You could offer them a good sum of money and sometimes magic happens. LOL It may not be worth the price they want, however.

You bring up a pet peeve of mine which most search engines seem to suffer from. They are not unbiased searches. Sometimes people pay to have their listing on top when certain keywords are entered. That's fine as long as it's marked as an AD. But, quite often the search engine will assume you are interested in the site that has the most hits, which in your case the count is probably very low. You could do a direct search for a specific site, but who needs Google if you already know the name of the website? There is no way that I know of to disable the bias, which search engines call relevance. They don't always guess what is relevant to you because they can't read your mind. They only know what websites you previouisly visited over your entire life on the Internet, ans sometimes that's not enough.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

On whois, a lot of the times the names are blanked out and/or marked private. But I think for a fee you can get more data.

Yeppers, search engines can drive one bonkers trying to find something now.
And it only lets you add so many minus signs behind the search criteria.
I often after doing a search see keywords I didn't use, so will put after the search key -keyword -keyword -keyword as they keep coming up and not relevant to what I was searching for.

I find some search engines are better than others for certain things I want to look up. I did finally remove WebCrawler from my list. Seems that project was abandoned. Normally I just use Google.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Sometimes I wonder if search engines deliberately create a style. The vast majority of the searches I do use the Google search engine. I adjust all my browser settings to make Google a priority, but for some reason or another In Linux Firefox is anti-Google. They make it difficult to even add Google to their list of options. I read the explanation and it has something to do with Mozilla not getting any financial support from Google. That is not the case with Firefox in Windows; it's odd really. Microsoft Edge defaults to Bing and they too make changing the search engine difficult. In fact they bury it so deep in the settings that it appears it can't be done. But, I'm persistent and know it is possible. You can show me a couple lists of search results that do not have any branding visible and I'll tell you which one is Bing. They have their own unique list of irrelevant records. About the only general search engine that is a bit different is DuckDuckGo. They claim not to track you in any way and their search results proves it. LOL

I've read many articles about adding modifiers to search queries but get the same results as you do. Those modifiers make no difference. Using the quotes around specific text does on occasion produce the desired results, but even that is unreliable. The secret to success in any search is to know what keywords to use. Nothing else seems to matter.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I was doing research while writing my books, I always used WebCrawler first, then DuckDuckGo, plus one other I don't remember the name of anymore since I only used it as a last resort. Google always shows a bunch of ad websites or paid websites first which is annoying. Most of the time they are totally irrelevant to what I'm looking for too.
I have AdBlockers that block the ad area on Googles side bar, except on their opening page.
Even so, on that opening page I will get ads for things I know were because I searched for something.
What was the name of that search engine that gave the results of all search engines for you.
Seems it disappeared or closed down, but then it was back again, then gone again.
It usually displayed in three columns showing Google, Firefox, Bing, unless you scrolled to the right.
It was amazing what the different search engines would display first. Yahoo, Ask.com, Excite, were some of them.
Ah, I just remembered LYCOS was one I used a lot also.

I've had moderately good luck using the -modifier in searches, but still get a ton of useless stuff.
I was searching for a wagon part called a doubletree. So naturally Double Tree Motels popped up, hi hi.
Doubletree -hotel -motel -Hilton -guest and I finally got to the wagon parts.
Even then Google still puts all the ads and maps to the hotel up first.

I learned real quick using a sentence as a search phrase never works on search engines.
Wagon Part Doubletree ends.
Told me the end of some war, an ad for Wagon Wheel Restaurant, of course the hotel chain.
So most of the time I will just use a single key word, then start adding the minus word.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well ... you are right about trying to type logical queries into search engines. The truth is that they work very well if you know how to phrase the question so that the search engine understands your requirements. I just did this, "Show me double tree wagon part" and got an entire page of harnesses, neck yokes, and wagon parts. No ads at all on the page, which I attribute to the Waterfox browser I'm using because I did not set up any ad blockers specifically. I'm very impressed with the results because I have absolutely no history searching for such things. LOL Waterfox is a variation of Firefox; both being Mozilla based. So, in the future if you need to stock up on your draft horse harness parts, just ask me to do a search for you. LOL

Lycos used to be a great search engine. I've not heard about them in many years. I think they went the path of Netscape. They were related somehow but I don't recall how right now.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My grandpa on my dad's side would grumble big time every time he saw a claim that something was not invented until such n such a date, when he knew they had them when he was a boy.
I'm using some of that info in the story I'm writing, if I ever get done with it that is.

They did have Lunch Wagons, that delivered ready to eat Hot Food way back in the mid-1800's.
Some of them even opened up to provide a table and seating similar to half a picnic table on each side of the serving wagon.
Dad gave me a drawing that grandpa had which showed on opened up with three large kettles over a box of hot coals, and lids that were held down when the wagon was closed for travel. Although I lost it in the flood, I still remembered almost exactly what it looked like and described it in my story.
A rich builder provided well for his employee's who he had building a new town for him.
I have never seen anything like it any web search, nor mention of something similar in old history books, other than Chuck Wagons which is something else entirely. Chuck Wagons carry ingredients and prepare the food on-site. Lunch Wagons prepared the food in one place, and delivered it ready to serve and eat at their destination point.
But I really liked the one that opened up to provide seating, and it had all the serving plates and utensils too.

Lycos is sometimes easier to use. If I type Stonebroke Manor, it brings up Stonebrook.
But if I type Stonebroke Manor -stonebrook, it does bring up some of my pages, plus a link to ClassicHausLimited's web page as well. But none directly to the home page, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

So, what you are saying is that your grandpa proved that Meals On Wheels is an idea about two hundred years old. :lol:
If you ever do finish that book you are working on, I might have to take up reading again. It's been ages since I've read any paper bound book at all and longer than that since I've read a story. The House of Seven Gables comes to mind, but I can't say with certainty that I actually read it. I know I bought a copy around the time I got married and intended to read it, but I have no idea today about the story line. LOL Most of what I read is on my computer monitor. I dropped all magazine subscriptions too. It's not that I don't read and keep up on things. I just don't do hard copies anymore. Plus most of what I read is for technical enlightenment. I seldom have an urge to be entertained by reading.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If I ever get back to fixing up the mess the various editors made with my story, it has lots of historical tidbits in it the editors thought I put to much detail into. They like high action stories where every action has a reaction and closing sequel with a hook to carry one to the next scene.
I started rewriting the story in the way each editor wanted, until we finally found the perfect way to tell the story, one they all agreed on, but then the publisher said it was too much non-important stuff to make it work that way. They cut out nearly 8 chapters, by cutting each chapter down considerably, until it was no longer the story I wanted to tell.
So I more or less set it aside, but continued working on it so I had more ready for the next round.
Basically I'm' putting it all back together the original way I had it, only with the better working narrator for the story.
I hope I live long enough to finally get it all together and rewritten. I know I won't live long enough to get to the second part of the story, but that's OK. I like the Historical part better than the Mystery part anyhow.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Editors and publishers are of necessity focused on what will sell easily as opposed to meaningful content. I can't blame them in a way because that is why their company employs them in the first place. About the only way around editorial bias is to self-publish. I've met a few people who went that route and none of them sold a lot. But, they all sold what they intended and wanted to say.

Time, or the lack of it, is the bane of many good authors. There are a lot of interesting people and thoughts that never got visibility due to a lack of time to put it all on paper, or hard disk. The real shame of it all is that even if they do manage to document all their thoughts, they run into editors like the ones you met. If I were to become an author, I'd surely have to be an indie. :lol: