Senseless

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Icey

Senseless

Post by Icey »

What sort of young people do this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38171588

Left to me, I wouldn't hand the boy over to do-gooders, who'll no doubt say that he came from a dysfunctional home. He should be banged up for a maximum term. Too harsh? I don't think so. This's what's lacking these days - no deterrents to make these savage kids think twice.
yogi

Re: Senseless

Post by yogi »

We certainly don't know all the circumstances by reading that article. But, I can safely say the act was as charged, manslaughter, regardless of the perpetrator's age. You ask an interesting question when you wonder what kind of people do this sort of thing. Unless the fifteen year old boy who committed this crime is insane and not in control of his own actions, we have to say his personal set of values led him to the act. How much blame can be placed on the boy's parents and how much on the boy himself is a nearly impossible question to answer. If parents were held legally responsible for their offspring's social misbehavior and had to spend some time in prison for not teaching their child something better, I am certain these kind of incidents would virtually be eliminated.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I agree with you that parents should be held legally responsible for the actions of their under-age children.

Of course, one might find that this boy was on drugs or out of his skull on alcohol, but despite that, so are plenty of other people, and they don't go around attacking innocent people.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Again I don't agree with you Yogi.

Sometimes parents do all they can do, including seeking professional help.
Yet one of their kids still turns out to be a rotten apple.

Also, in some cases, you have someone or a few, working totally against you in the care of your child.

Taught by the same parents, how can two be excellent children, one be better than good but not what I would call excellent, and one be totally bad, regardless of what was done for them.

It sure wasn't the environment they lived in! Unless their were outside forces not within control of the parents.
Such as an ex teaching them their way of life, which is far below exemplary, and to the point of being criminal.

I do agree a lot of parents don't take their time with their children as they should.
Some may even teach them their evil ways.

But as always, the innocent parents who did all they could are the ones who would be persecuted the most!
While those who do need to be punished will never even get a slap on the wrist.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

He has been released on police bail until his first court appearance.

In a statement, the Crown Prosecution Service said police had decided to take no further action in relation to five other youths who were at the scene.
what do these two mean?
Icey

Post by Icey »

It means that the boy hasn't been kept in custody, but there'll be bail conditions before he goes to court. This might be that he has to check-in at a police station every day, or he might be tagged and only allowed to go out between certain times and/or for a set distance.

The 5 other youths would've been taken in for questioning. If it was considered that they had nothing to do with the assault, and didn't encourage it, no further action'd be taken against them, but if evidence comes to light which shows they played a part in the attack, then they'll be arrested.

Gary, I agree with you that occasionally, good parents can produce a bad apple. There's usually some influence from somewhere though, and where there's not, it's possible that the child has a mental illness, even if it just means feeling no emotion about what they do.

I went to school with a girl who was difficult to handle, but I felt that she was just rebelling, because her parents were unreasonably strict, and I think she felt stifled by being unable to express herself. Her relationship with her parents went from bad to worse, and the last I heard, she had little to do with them. Her attitude seems to've affected her personal relationships as well though.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i knew a couple who were sexual child abusers. of the 5 children they had the eldest suffered the most. she moved to the far end of the country. divorced, remarried. no kids.

the second (mother's b/f's) daughter is a alcoholic drug addict, was married to an abusive man before getting away; has 2 sons. she's had many partners, scrapes with the law.

the third daughter figured out a way to keep daddy dearest away from her bed, but well, there are other ways, of course. she seems perfectly sane and reasonably happy. no kids.

number four, a son, was passed around between dad and friends. also an alcoholic/drug user. he had it all blocked until he was told by his sisters when in his late 20's. lazy sod, paranoid.

youngest one, who escaped all this as his parents had divorced and dad took off before he got old enough to be abused, is also a drug addict and ADHD, OCD, totally zany. he has 2 kids from very many relationships, is a hard worker and provided well for the family.

so, why am i telling you this? well, for years i knew nothing about this family's history and we were all good friends, visited back and forth. i hung around with the kids. the boys knew nothing, the girls said nothing, mother (later on) categorically denied any knowledge. apparently the whole flipping tribe was in on it, like some sort of backwoods rednecks.

that's pretty much as horrible a childhood as one can have, but NONE of these people ever were violent! so... what does it take to make people become raging maniacs?

:shrug:
Icey

Post by Icey »

How bloody terrible! The thing is, they weren't violent murderers, but they all seemed to've been affected in some way. I've no idea what turns a person into a maniac though.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

this is simply awful...ignorant and senseless..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Indeed, but plenty of them around, it seems.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

mindless thugs..sadly yes..
people get away with too much..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Flog 'em!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

jail them without all the priveleges....
It's madness...
there are no adequate deterrents.....
Icey

Post by Icey »

We all know that. They get better treatment in prison than out of it. All this human rights stuff's gone too far the other way.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

and prison staff are being greatly depleted by government cuts........
where's it all going to end ..?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Open the asylum and let them all out! It's heading that way, because no one in government has the backbone to tighten up on law and order. God help us if Jeremy Corbyn became PM. He WOULD close the jails! Mad fool.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

KEEP THINKING POSITIVE THOUGH..
XXX
Icey

Post by Icey »

You couldn't think positively if all and sundry were allowed to run riot. Society needs to have properly-defined laws which people live by, or you end up with chaos.