HAP FYI

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

HAP FYI

Post by yogi »

We have lamented in the past about the cost of medical insurance. It should not be surprising that we both have some negative comments and feelings about Health Advantage Plans. While it all boils down to costs the details of what is actually going on never were clear. This year there is a lot of debate in congress on this very subject. The linked article explains clearly what Advantage Plans are all about. Basically they are privatized plans subsidized by the government. There are pros and cons galore, and the article clarifies some of them. I just thought it would be an interesting read given we both have an interest in such matters.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama-h ... le/2803380
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: HAP FYI

Post by Kellemora »

Interesting article, but still doesn't show how much worse off someone with the Advantage Plan really is, as far as how much more it will cost them for services the Advantage Plan has caps on or don't cover at all.
They brag about covering this and that, but when it comes right down to the most important things, folks find out they really are not covered very well at all.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The article does explain Prior Authorizations which is those things not covered or capped by the Advantage plans. They don't get enough reimbursements from Medicare and that is the private insurance company's selling Advantage plans way of reducing their costs. If you read a little closer you will discover that the current discussions are focused on adding those Prior Authorizations to the regular Medicare system, also as a means of cutting costs. The most enlightening point made in the article is that private companies run the Advantage plans. Forcing people to go that route is how in the long run they plane to cut out Medicare altogether.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I was waiting to go into surgery, I heard two ladies talking about their husbands switching to the Advantage Plan, and how their costs for services have gone up considerably. Then a man chimed in on their conversation and said his wife switched plans and now she has to pay for things his plan still covers, like her surgery today is only partially covered.

I don't know what the System will do to our plans, now that the stole all the money from them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

[*]One thing is certain. The cost of healthcare is high and somebody must pay the bill. If it's not the government, it is you and I through premiums, deductables, and co-payments. The Republicans are hell bent on reducing or eliminating Medicare and Social Security in order to cut expenses in the federal budget. Should that actually happen, those healthcare costs are not going to come down. You and I will pay what Medicare does not. Somehow that is perceived as better. I don't know if the drive to eliminate healthcare from the federal budget will succeed, but even if it fails the super funds laying around just to pay claims is dwindling each year. Nobody is interested in fixing that problem, and that is scary.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I think privatized healthcare will be better than how the government handles things.
I have friends in the UK and not much is covered there either under socialized medicine.

Biden spends money like it is water, and send tons of it overseas to pay for things for other countries that we don't even have for ourselves here. We need Trump back!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Interesting viewpoints from a person living on $89/mo.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My brother helps me out with some things.
yogi

Post by yogi »

What your brother is doing is fitting and proper.
The same cannot be said for Donald Trump.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Trump was a zillion times better than the CRIMINAL they currently have installed in the Oval Office.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The person you cite as being a criminal was never impeached or indicted.
The same cannot be said for Donald Trump.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

But it was all FAKE MADE UP STUFF against him, just like it is now.
We KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt that BIDEN and his Son are both Criminals!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yes Donald Trump and his cult followers do in fact believe the charges against him are fake. That is his mantra.
I have not yet seen hard evidence of the Bidens' criminal behavior, and apparently nobody else has either.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Ha, I should make a list and give it to you!