Non-Fungible Tokens

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Non-Fungible Tokens

Post by yogi »

I don't know about landfills being turned into future gold mines of recyclables. There was a landfill in the city a few miles from where I grew up. Eventually it got filled up with garbage and they had to cover it with earth. As it so happened, there was some kind of rock underground and adjacent to the landfill which was the main ingredient for making bricks. Thus for many years as they dug up the dirt to cover the garbage, they uncovered the raw material for brick making which they did on site. That lasted quite a few years, but eventually they mined all the useful material and ceased operation. At that point they cleared the perimeter of the pit , which was next to the mountain of garbage, and some automobile dealer kept his inventory there. There must have been a thousand new cars in storage at any given time. Well, that lasted only a few years too. Then somebody came up with an idea to make a ski slope out of the mountain. That was totally amazing, but it too was shot lived. It turns out that the owner of the dump was waiting something like twenty five years for the landfill to decompose to the point of being stable. At that point in time they built a shopping center on top of it and called it ... The Brickyard Mall. All that happened around forty years ago and I have no idea if the shopping mall is still there of if it has sunk into the former landfill under it. LOL

I suppose there would be a few things that could be mined in an old landfill, but most of what is in there will decompose and/or oxidize. Some places are actually using the methane gas from landfills to generate electricity. You could be right about it being valuable under the right conditions. They never thought it was worth the expense to extract crude out of shale until the price of oil hit over $70/bbl.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I lived back in St. Louis County, I had visited a few of the landfills we had there. Each of them were clean and efficient and no odors to speak of, some during dumping hours since the trucks themselves stuck to high heaven. But the dump itself didn't reek of horrible odors.
I think that was mainly because after each day of garbage trucks emptying their loads, rough dirt, or dirty dirt was pushed over the days garbage, then a layer of limestone or lime powder was sprayed using water over that, and then a load of clean dirt added over that. So yes, besides garbage, they also took construction and road destruction debris, but it was all dumped to the side for adding later to cover the garbage.
As the dump extended further down the valley, they naturally had settling issues as is expected. But it only takes about three years for them to have ground solid enough to drive on. And as far as distance from the road on level ground goes, they only gain about 3 to 5 feet more of flat ground every year. Of which they do have to come back over every year and add more topsoil and sod or sew grass seed. But they make good use of these areas along the ridge of the dump to raise grass seed for sod. And as you already pointed out, part of their land is used for parking boats, cars, utility trailers and the like.
I don't think they ever had much of a methane problem, but that could be because of the way the dump is handled. Also, most folks have garbage disposals in their homes. Almost all you see going down the hillside after a dumping day is over are plastic bags and an occasional appliance or two, there have been a couple of cars run off over the cliff that got covered in a few days, but they were put there by midnight auto salvage while the place was closed, hi hi. At one time they did take car tires, but they were a pain because they had to be rolled down the cliff so they reached the bottom of the landfill.
In the fifty plus years I went to that landfill for one reason or another, they had only gained 75 to 100 feet of level ground from the roadway. Needless to say, this was once a steep cliff down into a valley between two rock hillsides. It was considered a sealed basin so no leaching problems would be of concern, so I guess these few places were the best for landfills.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't recall the Chicago landfill in my neighborhood having any offensive odors. I also knew nothing about the operations there that I could not identify from about 300 yards distance. The place was fenced in on all sides, and for good reason to be sure. I do recall that they deliberately waited 20-25 years for the fill to settle. My guess is that it might have been safe to drive on way before that, but they knew all along that some sort of business center was going to occupy the land eventually. I seem to have a vague memory of the City of Chicago imposing the time to wait.

Many years after moving out of that neighborhood I was working in a plant Motorola had 30+ miles north of the city. It was in an area we used to go fishing, and there were many lakes for that purpose up that way. On the way to work I drove through some rural areas and just before coming to the plant there was a garbage dump. It must have been there for many years prior to my arrival because the hill of garbage was all landscaped. There even were some lights up on top suggesting that a roadway of some sort was up there. There were also many vent pipes that were constantly flaming in a bluish orange color range. I was told it was excess methane that needed to be burned off in order to keep the smell under control. I guess those rural folks didn't favor garbage disposals, or something. Way down on the other end of the nicely landscaped hill, and barely visible from the main highway I was driving on, was an active site for dumping. I don't know how much of the landscape was dedicated to the garbage, but it could have gone on for many many acres. There were not a lot of buildings in that entire area until you got to the town were Motorola was.

I really detested that drive, especially during the winter when the snow drifted across the highways. The landfill is still there, I'm sure, but Motorola is long gone.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The midwest is fairly flat compared to down south here in the mountains.
But even so, there are some really high hills.
Not sure if you are familiar with areas along I-270 south toward Hwy Route 66.
My old age is showing, I can't remember the name of the highway that goes from Crestwood through Valley Park to points west, where the Chrysler plant and Maritz Travel are.
But just past I-270, also accessible from I-270 now I think is Craigwold Road, not that you want to go up there.
But from the highway looking south, after you cross under I-270 going west, you will see a TALL CLIFF.
I'm just using that location as a visual for you.

Where the dump I went to was located, was located next to a cliff just like that. Naturally the dump area was at the top of the cliff, like where Craigwold Road would be.
The cliff by the dump had a mountain on each side of it, that ran for like a mile or two I would guess.
At the time that cliff was bought out for use as a landfill and the land following away from it. The small road in front of the cliff from the topside, was only like 150 feet away from the road. This is where they built their building, the dumping area for dirty dirt and for clean dirt to each side, and the concrete slab area where garbage trucks backed up to to dump over the cliff. There were like six of these slab areas in the beginning. But by the time I was bringing things to the dump, you could see the original slabs versus ones they added later, but always kept them about 30 feet or more away from the filled part of the land.
The original building is still only about 150 feet from the road like always, but now it is like another 100 feet back to the last dumping slabs. They use little bobcats to push the garbage over the cliff, and at the end of the day push the dirty dirt over it, and then the clean dirt over that. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a fire at that dump. That being said, it seems I do recall some vent pipes, but they had large like fire hoses connected to them going into a small block building. Maybe that's where they have the flame so it is not visible from the road, or who knows they may have a pump of some sort to bottle it. I never really paid that much attention. I just wanted to get out of there and back home again, hi hi. They did take construction junk no problems.
yogi

Post by yogi »

To be perfectly honest, I've not been to the area you describe. However, my friend Google apparently has ...

Cliff.JPG
Cliff.JPG (137.68 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Also, apparently, there is a dump not too far from where I am sitting now. Miy wife seems to know where it is located, but I seldom have reason to go down that road. If I had a truck and could haul my own trash, then I might know exactly where the dump is. It's amazing how much "junk" we have accumulated in the five years we have been here. LOL

A few years ago we drove the Saturn to North Carolina for an anniversary celebration. We passed through the so called mountains in Tennessee but never really got to your end of the state. What I saw was not like the hills we have here in Missouri, but they did not impress me as being mountains either. The reason for that is that I have been to Colorado and have seen what real mountains look like. There were some very beautiful sights along the way, but if I had a choice I think I'd pick the Rockies over the Smokey's. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

That's the bridge going over I-244, now called I-270 I think.
That cliff is only where they cut out the hillside to put in the Interstate.
But if you go down Craigwold Road to Highway 66, you will be on top of a very high hill who's drop off looks about like that wall of the cut out you see in this image.

I've been to the Rockies myself. Drove to the top of Mount Evans, which is higher than Pikes Peak, but not as commercialized.

In any case, that cliff you see on the left side of the Road is only about 1/3 as high as the cliff on the river side.

The key here is, it is solid rock, just like the area that became a landfill.
If it wasn't open at the far end, it would have been a lake for sure.
They do have to make sure where they put dumps these days, our groundwater is not polluted from them.
I did a search myself trying to find the dump I was talking about, all to no avail. Been too many years away from home!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Craigwold is a pretty short road according to Google maps. Nothing like a landfill is visible on the map. The closest search result shows Rock Hill Landfill. I suppose it's possible that the landfill you are talking about went through the same evolutionary process as did the old Brick Yard Shopping Mall in my Chicago neighborhood. You won't find a landfill on the map, but people who lived in the area long enough know what is under that mall. You are right about the potential for landfills to contaminate the ground water. That one I talked about on my route to Motorola was said to be the last one in that county. There was no more available ground that would be suitable for a landfill. When I think of the size of Chicago I can't imagine where they are putting all the garbage. Some must be incinerated, but I haven't a clue where the rest of it is going.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Here is something I think you will be interested in regarding landfills.
Here is one in Maryland Heights, MO, very close to where I lived for 20 years.
They also do a ton of recycling as well.
Scroll down the row of images on the left and you'll see the cliffs which borders both sides of it.
https://www.champlandfill.com/

There's also Peerless Landfill in Valley Park, but no images for them.
And Westlake Landfill Supersite up in Bridgeton. Their website on a Windows server is always down, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thanks for digging up that information about Champs Landfill. I was curious to see how large a landfill around here would be and where it might be located. To my complete surprise I must have passed that place dozens of times and not recognized it for what it is. Apparently it could be visible from I-70 which I have traveled many times. Now that I know where to look, I'll try to spot it from the interstate next time I'm in that area. The cliffs, by the way, are very impressive. I also noted that the landfill is not very far from the airport. I've been there a few times to pick up and drop off people but never saw an aerial shot. I have to say it's nothing like O'Hare International. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm glad you scrolled down and saw all that is involved in maintaining a landfill.
As you can see, they are built up layer by layer now, done in sections, to give the older covered up stuff time to settle.

Champ's is a high-tech landfill place, quite a bit different than the one I took junk too where everything was just dumped, then pushed over the side of the cliff, followed by tons of dirt at the end of each day. But then too, they were not where anything could leach out. As things settled, they just added more clay dirt over it until it no longer settled.

The landfills down here are no where near as high-tech. Many of them were quarries that held water with no exits. But not all the quarries became landfills, they let a few fill up as lakes, and a few just for viewing purposes.

With the high number of recycling centers here who pay for what you bring them, not much reusable stuff ends up in the landfills, mostly garbage and debris.

We have a couple of landfills that do not take garbage at all, only construction debris.
And they often pull a lot of stuff out of the debris to recycle.
One place even has a huge grinding machine, but they only take mostly metals and furniture items, like beds and couches.
I assume the sell the metals, but what they do with the other things I don't know.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Champs is way ahead of the game, but they had to have spent a lot of money to get to that point. I suppose it's worth it because they seem to be profitable and well respected, but who would have though?

You may recall me commenting about a cousin who lived on the south side of Chicago; the one who lived in that house I picked off Google to show you wooden sidewalks. He lived only a few miles from downtown Chicago which means it was in the middle of the big city proper. A time or two we took bicycles over to a nearby quarry, something I never expected to see in the middle of 3 million people's homes. I can't tell you how big it was now, but it was no longer used for mining. City trucks would dump old construction material and concrete from street maintenance projects. We could not see the bottom of the pit from the sidewalk but we could see the trucks dumping their load and being pushed off the edge into the abyss. It was fascinating to watch even if they were probably a mile away from our vantage point. Last I heard is they closed down the quarry. No more dumping. It was nowhere near being filled when I last saw it so that I don't know what they did with that big hole in the ground. My guess is there are condos built on it today. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Maybe they want it to fill up like a lake so they can raise the property values, and TAXES, around it, hi hi.

I think I mentioned a couple of major recycling centers I visited a number of years ago. The kind of place where garbage trucks back up and dump onto conveyors. Nearly everything dumped there was recycled in one way or another. They could separate paper from plastic from metal, from compostable materials, and then further separate the metals and plastics into the types they were. It was an amazing operation that was very profitable despite the high cost of running such a place.
I think I posted a link to one of them a long time ago, but right now I don't remember who or where it was.

I think the big recycling game of the future will be handling all the dead batteries from electric cars.
Lot's of exotic metals, and highly hazardous chemicals are used in them, which could destroy our water supply easily if dumped in a landfill, even a sealed landfill.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Recycling will probably be a necessity and not the afterthought it is today. One of the things that is happening is that some rare elements used to build electronics are becoming scarce. It's not only that the Chinese aren't selling them to us; the supply is finite and closing in on the end. One way around that problem is to grind up old electronic components and separate their individual elements. I think I posted an article about some group that did that to a bunch of Apple iPhones. The number of individual elements that go into the making of that phone is astonishing. Your guess about batteries becoming a raw material source is probably correct. Like the iPhone there are many rare and useful elements in old batteries, but the cost to extract them is prohibitive in today's world. Then, too, I've read about mining asteroids for their component ores. I guess somebody actually brought back a few samples already. It's all pretty amazing stuff.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There is a place here that takes any type of computer board, or who computers for recycling.
But they only pay like 10 bucks for a computer, 3 bucks for a cell phone, and a buck for old slot cards if that, sometimes it is only a quarter for each one.
They've been there as long as I've lived down here, and they have about 25 to 30 people working there, so it must be profitable for them.
When I first moved down here, there was a company who bought old black and white negatives for like five for a penny.
I think they may have taken color negatives also, but no know what they paid for them.
For security reasons, whatever you brought into them, they ran through a shredder right in front of you, so it didn't matter what the pictures were.
The also took old magnetic tape on reels or cartridges too, but I don't know what they did with those. They didn't pay anything for them though.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Think about this.
A single gram of gold in yesterdays market went for $57.32.
A single ounce of gold in yesterdays market was worth $1,783.
All those electronic circuit boards have foils made of gold. It's not hard to see the potential for profit recycling those boards.
The b/w negatives contain silver which yesterday sold for $26.05 an ounce. That silver is actually a nitrate and needs some processing to extract it so that I have to scratch my head wondering how it would be profitable to recycle a photo negative.

There is a host of other elements on those circuit boards, and some of them eclipse the value of gold per gram. All you would need is a machine that can grind the boards into something like very fine sand. Put that in a tank of appropriate chemicals and the elements start to float and separate. I doubt any of that equipment is cheap, but once you make the investment you literally have a gold mine. If they pay everybody $10/hr and they all work 40 hours a week, that's a $10,000 payroll. 6 ounces of gold would cover that. :grin:
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Greetings, down here metals, cardboard, glass and many kinds of plastics are selected and recycled almost everywhere... I know of at least three recycling companies within walking distance from where I live... As for landfills, also know about a few... It was news down here that a former landfill that is 4 km north of where I live, but still within the same municipality, was proposed as the site to build a soccer stadium for a first dvision team. The size of that plot is enough to receive a staium as big as the Azteca staduim, with parking lot and acces explanade... With the municipality government change, we'll se if that plot is sold or retreived as a wild area, since is among the hills that connect Guadalupe Sierra to the Montealto - Las Cruces Sierra in northwest Mexico City.
Another landfill that was retrieved is now the Santa Fe District, soutthwest of Mexico City. In 40 years it was transformed from the most backwards area to the poshest area of the lakebowl that contains Mexico City.

Most of we foreigners have the idea that the midwest US geography, that is, between the Appalachian and the Rockies, to be a continuous flat terrain interrupted only by the bunch of Mississippi river tributaries, including the Mississippi itself, and that no other remarkable features seem to be there... Now I can stand corrected, knowing that there are hills and ridges over there.
yogi

Post by yogi »

~Juan
Most of the midwest is flatland. It's great for farming and cattle raising. Some entire states appear to be flat, such as Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. But those states bordering the Mississippi definitely have a few hills. I'm only a few miles from the MIssouri River that flows into the Mississippi and am enjoying the luxury of a hilly landscape. Where I came from in Illinois the land was flat in every direction to the horizon. The Mississippi was more than 100 miles from where I lived. Traveling along the roads adjacent to the Mississippi is often a spectacular show put on by Mother Nature; that is once you get away from the cities along the shore. Those cliffs Gary cited are only a small representation of what the areas next to the river look like.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Dennis, I just went around on Google maps around the Saint Louis area, and my first impression, based on too few data, is that, although is generously greeen, maybe I am too used to what I see daily around here in terms of hills and landscape... Anyway, I'm no one to object what I don't really know.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You know, of course, that the topology of the land and the amount of greenery on it varies all over the world. I'll tell you something interesting about my own experience in that area. Prior to living here in the St Louis area I lived in a suburb of Chicago. The population density up there was far greater than what I am living in today. I and a few neighbors owned homes on parcels of land that were about an acre in size. Most of the other people's homes were on something about 1/5th that size. I had a virtual forest on my acre and had to clear a portion of it in order to build my home. I lived in a place where the old saying "you can't see the forest for the trees" was very true. Even in summer the sun would set below the skyline in the late aft4ernoon hours because the trees obscured the view of the setting sun. The entire suburban area around Chicago was perfectly flat. Well, actually, my land did slope slightly from the rear to the front because a stream ran through the property and the watershed eroded some of the soil.

The area I live in today is 35 miles away from St Louis. Our city is small, 84K residents, but out in the middle of the countryside. There are several similar cities/towns around us but they too are small and isolated from the big city. The landscape has hills, but very gentle hills. The farmland here is not like illinois where you might see a tree or two isolated out in the wheat fields. I can't give a good estimate of how many trees are on Missouri farmland but it is a significant number. In some places it looks like the farm was cut out of the surrounding forest. About thirty miles from this home is an area of Missouri known for growing grapes and making wine. Hills and greenery are all over that area. The neighborhood I live in is relatively new compared to the Chicago suburbs I left. Thus there is a lot of new landscaping and not so many trees. I can see the sun rising and setting on the horizon from my home. The sky shows put on by Mother Nature are nothing less than spectacular. I never saw as many rainbows during my entire life in Chicago as I have seen here in the past five years. The remarkable thing is that I can actually see the sky. It's amazing.

More amazing would be life in Mexico City. The topology of the land there is diverse, but best of all is that it is 7000+ feet above sea level. I can only imagine how spectacular the views must be over there.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although only about 9% of our plastic waste is taken to recyclers.
There are a few recycling places who sort out the plastics, while others grind it all together and let the major plastics recycle them in their density towers.
One place I read about uses both towers and things like a refinery uses to separate oils.
The density of the 6 main types of common plastics are easily shredded and separated after washing. But that doesn't mean it is a cheap operation to perform. But still much cheaper than make the plastic into a liquid and the using a refinery style process.