Mug Shot

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
yogi

Mug Shot

Post by yogi »

We are currently visiting our daughter in Colorado.
This morning she took this mug shot of me.
Icey

Re: Mug Shot

Post by Icey »

Aww, what a nice picture Yogi - and love the Grandpa mug! Hope you found the family fit and well and enjoyed your visit.

You know who you remind me of there? Mark Harman (NCIS)! Hope you're not offended by that!
yogi

Post by yogi »

We will be vising until Saturday. One reason for the visit is to look over the area to see if it is fit for us to move here. I am not offended at all by my appearance because I have no idea who is Mark Harmon. LOL He must be a handsome dude whoever he is. :lmao2:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Love It!
He does resemble Mark Harmon!
Your not building a boat in your basement are you Yogi, now that would be uncanny.
Yogi is much more handsome than I am...
Icey

Post by Icey »

*building a boat in your basement! LOOOL. Yes, Gary, that WOULD be a coincidence wouldn't it?

Looks as though I spelt Mark's sur-name name incorrectly, but at least YOU knew who I meant.

Yes Yogi ... he IS a handsome guy. This's him ....
Icey

Post by Icey »

:facepalm:

Sorry - here he is!

And Gary, we are as we are, and beauty's in the eye of the beholder.
People used to say that I was the spit of Abbey Clancy. Well, maybe 10 years ago, but I've passed my mid thirties now, and we all change a bit! Vikki met me last year and knows how I look. I was tired out and totally at my worst! :lol:

Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I use a picture of myself from my sons wedding.
At the time I started using it, it was a truer likeness to what I looked like, than newer pictures where I looked younger, and I felt it would be more of a misrepresentation.
Albeit, I've aged considerably since then!
Icey

Post by Icey »

One of the hazards of being a living entity isn't it, but you know what? I'd rather see people grow older gracefully than try to stay forever young. It just doesn't work. It's nice for those with "good genes", or who manage to have surgical procedures which don't go too far and make them look stupid, but inside, they're as old as they've got to. It's alright having a reconstructed face and then looking 20 years younger, but all the internal organs're slowing down, and skin in other places's starting to sag or wrinkle. No one can beat nature for long.

I don't see anything wrong in you using an earlier pic of yourself though, but you'd have laughed if you'd seen a pic that one of my relatives put up on Linkedin one day. He's in his 70's now, and there, for all the world to see, was an old pic of himself when he was about 30! We couldn't stop laughing. He said that it reminded him of better days, but anyone meeting him face to face wouldnt've recognised him as being the same person.
yogi

Post by yogi »

This discussion can get philosophical really quick because it's showing how self-awareness divides the human experience into two parts. The physical and biological aspects of our being is what the camera captures for good or for bad. We also have a consciousness that is thought to originate in the brain but is separate and apart from the physical organ. The two interact, of course, but they age at different rates. Indeed it can be argued that self-awareness does not age at all. The discussion here and in other similar forums is about how the ageless self-consciousness deals with physical realities. When I tell people that my body is old but I am young at heart, I am acknowledging the two components of human experience. When that sentiment is not vocalized it is often manifest in attempts to make the body more in tune with the mind. It's futile to try and match the two, but is it wrong?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm trying something here, don't know if it will work or not.
Here is a picture of me taken in 2001.
I look much younger than my picture to the right, taken about ten years prior.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Unless you are talking about your avatar picture, I only see one photo of you. You are/were quite a dapper young man. :grin:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, you haven't really changed much Gary. Nice pic.

They say the camera doesn't lie, but they DO flatter some people and make others look worse than in the flesh.

No Yogi, it's not wrong to try and match mind to body, but it doesn't work very well at all, no matter what enhancements a person has. I was reading about Roger Moore, who admits to all his health conditions. He said that, as his years as Bond necessitated keeping fit, that's exactly what he tried to do, by way of exercising every day, and he knew that his looks kept him in work.

He's had plastic surgery, and for 81, doesn't look too bad at all, BUT, he suffers from a myriad of complaints. He has a pacemaker, peripheral neuropathy, high blood pressure, a diseased lung from smoking in his youth, he's near-sighted and has been on appetite suppressants. He still takes a mild anti depressant. His whole life's revolved around looking good for the press and cameras, but despite trying to remain "young", nature's caught up with him, as it always does.

I think it's fabulous to be young at heart. My parents are, and my grandparents were the same, but they haven't, and didn't, do anything to try and match their bodies to their minds. Most people I've spoken to pretend that they've had various procedures "for themselves", but doesn't that prove something? That they were unhappy with themselves, which shows a lack of confidence, but HAVING natural confidence makes even the ugliest of people attractive to the opposite sex. Trying to fix an old face seems to be a desperate measure to be liked and accepted, which I find sad. What's wrong with accepting life as it comes, and despite growing older, let nature do what it's intended to do and be happy with it? When a person's content and relaxed, it shows, and draws others to them.

I have a friend who lost 224lbs. Credit due to her, because being as though she's not very tall, it made her look bigger when she carried the extra weight. She felt wonderful when it came to wearing smaller clothes, and she got herself a new hairstyle and had some cosmetic dentistry, but, she still didn't have the confidence which she craved, and her more pleasing aesthetics've done nothing to enhance her popularity, apart from within circles where fake is great, and natural's horrendous. These people seem unable to be true to themselves and others. I just don't think it's worth it. The real problem lies in not how a person's seen by others, but because they're lacking in self esteem, and even when they try to outwardly look better, it sometimes has no bearing on how they really feel underneath and're able to interact with others. It may work for a bit, but all surgery flops in the end, so they either have to have it re-done or sit there inspecting the "work" to make sure that it's not failing before time. : (

Again, I think it's up to the individual, and this's all just personal opinion which others might disagree with. If someone's born with a disfigurement which can be corrected, then fine. It's not just for wanting to be seen as "normal", whatever that is, but it helps when applying for jobs and being able to face the world without feeling as though they're being laughed or stared at. That in itself's a horrible human trait, but it's not being helped by the media and advertisers who promote beauty just to make money, and people fall for it and think this's what they have to look like. Gross way of thinking.

In rectifying problems caused by health issues, accidents and birth defects, I can understand someone trying to do something about their appearance if it makes their life more bearable, but NOT just for the sake of vanity.

I'd be far more liable to be attracted to someone who was happy in their own skin, and if they were interesting, open people who weren't completely stuck in yesteryear, then so much the better.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Icey

I don't know why folks get surgery of any kind for vanity reasons.
To cover a deformity or scar from an accident, has merit in some cases.

Yes, I meant my avatar picture when I said the one to the right.

There are some different new pictures of me on Farcebook, some make me look 100 years old, and some like I'm still in my 50s. But I really don't look much different than my avatar picture which is at least 20 years old now.

The 2001 picture was taken somewhere between 10 pm and 2 am, dead of winter, after a snowball fight in our house.
It came after an initiation party the night before, where some friends played a mighty nasty joke on me.
They dumped a bowl of orange punch over my head, and then a bottle of vinegar to set the orange so it wouldn't wash out. And I had to give a speech the following morning.
I tried to use a little bleach on cotton balls to get the orange out and it turned bright Kelly green instead.
So my step-daughter ran to the store and bought some hair dye and I was up almost all night, getting the orange off my skin, which left red rashes all over my face.
She got up early and did a makeup job on my face to hide the rashes, and I made it to the meeting in time, whew.
I don't know how women stand all that stuff on their face. I felt like I had a mud mask on and was afraid it would start cracking off, hi hi... Took a long hot shower when I got home, and it brought a little of the green back out again.
No there are NO pictures of me in that condition, hi hi... If their were, I would have burned them!
yogi

Post by yogi »

In the final analysis I don't think any female has to justify her inflated breasts to anyone. Her motives for doing such a thing has no affect on her physical appearance. Self-confidence certainly is a positive trait, but criticizing a person for what appears to be a lack of it is simply presumptuous and condescending. That's not to say all cosmetic surgery is an improvement. I just would not try to second guess anyone's motives for doing it.

Gary
I think you are using a different skin than I am using. The avatar is on the left and the inserted picture is on the right in my browser. Either way your point is well made.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I'm not criticising people who have a lack of confidence Yogi. I was merely saying that this's one of the reasons that many women have themselves "altered", as they think it'll make them look younger and more attractive, so they'll feel more confident. This isn't always the case. I wasn't particularly thinking about inflated breasts when I posted, rather, with people in mind who I know've had their faces surgically enhanced, but breast enlargement falls into a similar category when it's done for vanity. It screams: "Look at me!", and yes, people DO look if there's a sudden noticeable difference, but who finds it attractive? Either men, who like big boobs, or women who feel the need for attention. That's not being condescending. It's an opinion which a lot of my friends share, and which we've found to be true.

As I, and Gary said, if a woman has to have any type of surgery for vanity reasons, it's narcissistic - an overly belief in their own attractiveness. Well there's nothing wrong in wanting to look nice, but a lot of them're fooling themselves, because from the guys I've spoken to, the majority of them like women au naturale, but it certainly DOES make people look. : )

At the end of the day, it's up to the individual, but if I'd have had a daughter who wanted to be augmented, I'd be seriously concerned. It's not just the dangers they face later on, but I'd worry that they had other issues which they thought'd be "cured" by having this sort of surgery.
yogi

Post by yogi »

What about the people who ogle or otherwise compliment the new and improved augmentations? Are they being hypocritical and lying to their friends/family with their compliments? The logical extension of your train of thought would be that surgeons who perform the cosmetic surgery are acting immorally by giving their patients a false sense of self-confidence.

I don't deny that there are some people out there with sick egos that need healing. They may be narcissistic too, but who am I to judge? I rather enjoy the display than make wild guesses about the personal motives of an ugly person.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well - lol - you're a man Yogi, and you probably see things from a different viewpoint. There's a big difference between complimenting and meaning it, to ogling, which basically means to stare in a lecherous or crude manner.
My train of thought doesn't lend to suggestion that surgeons who're performing surgery're acting immorally at all. Far from it. I think these people do the best they can, and are proud of the end results in most cases, but naturally, the ones who work for private clinics and're the sort who'll perform breast augmentation on 16 -year old girls (as was shown on a documentary not so long ago) would be out of a job if they disappointed the patient, and some of these places'll do anything if that patient's paying enough. There's no need to carry out such work on young women, just because they think it's the "done thing" to have larger breasts. A 16 year year old's still developing, and so could reach her desired size anyway, in which case, further operations might be needed to reduce the implant once her natural growth'd been attained. As far as I know, surgery on such young people's not carried out very often over here, but in the US it's big business, no pun intended.
When women request implants following illness, errors, defects and accidents, it changes the whole thing. If they're advised about the possible dangers beforehand, and accept that their new shapes aren't going to last forever, then fine. This can boost how feminine a woman feels in herself, and has nothing to do with wanting all and sundry to look at her, but it's the others that I'm commenting about Yogi - the would-be models and actresses, the women who think it's going to attract men with money, etc. This's sad, and indicative of how society's going, basing a person's worth on the shape of their bodies, no matter that they might have less than 2 brain cells to rub together.
I'm sure that from a male point of view, that it's pleasant to view someone with big boobs or a curvy rear end, but it's not just that sort of surgery which I was commenting about. Cosmetic surgery can have pluses as well as down-sides, and very often, people go too far to try and achieve what they feel'll make them look younger.
British men, as a whole, seem to prefer the natural look of a woman. It doesn't stop them from initially admiring someone with a large chest, but they DO find the obvious fake boobs somewhat amusing in a "ha ha ha" sort of way, which I'm sure that no woman really wants.
At the end of the day, it's entirely up to each female what she wishes to do with herself, but unfortunately or not, it's viewed slightly differently from the American slant on things. People on this side of the pond're rushing to have their implants removed. The surgery still goes on of course, but not in the way that it is over there.
I have a friend who had a double mastectomy, and she asked whether it was safe for her to have augmentation. In her case, it was considered OK, and she was happy with the results, because the implants gave her a reduced size than she'd started out with (for a reason). She found the process quite painful, and I think she was brave after everything else she'd gone through. That, to me, was an understandable request, but it wasn't just for the sake of gaining attention and thinking that she'd appear aesthetically better/younger- looking for the opposite sex. The ad men're very happy to try and portray the idea that bigger's better. It obviously is, to some of those those who go through with the procedure, but everyone has their own idea of what looks nice. I don't think it's wrong to have an opinion either way. Some women're perfectly happy to have smaller chests, and some aren't.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are absolutely correct to say that men and women have different points of view. Americans certainly do not see things as Brits do either. But, I must say that we don't have the a quantity of Anti-British media shows to the same extent as is aired on your side of the pond to portray Americans. What you are seeing there is entertainment, and not necessarily fact. Regardless of all that, it's incredible that you can find justification for cosmetic surgery in some people and think it's unnecessary and dangerous in others. Event the double mastectomy patient is rebuilding her body for vanity reasons. Why is it acceptable for her and not for a 16 year old? It's the double standard in which I find fault. As you like to point out there is good and bad to every situation. I just don't think it's proper for me to judge people for the decisions they make. They are, after all, doing what they think is best for themselves.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ok, i'm quite bagged and should be in bed and snoring - oh wait! I don't snore. right... where was I?

I told you about Catherine, who's had numerous surgeries for loose skin on her stomach, breast reduction, breast augmentation, botox, etc. she's 45...

however, she's not hiding it, just looks at it something needed tweaking. and she'll proudly displat those new boobs if you mention them. ("not now Catherine, those guys might get the wrong idea...")

she's happy...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

and dennis, you do look like mike harmon!