Old and Helpless

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
yogi

Re: Old and Helpless

Post by yogi »

Now that I think back upon it, when I was about age 16 a neighbor and I took a road trip to California. He was a produce truck driver for a local food chain and had no problem driving 24 hours straight. We didn't do exactly that, but we traveled the old rt 66. I don't recall it, but I am certain that was the first time I passed through St Louis. LOL Anyway, when we got to Arizona, we were stopped at the border. They wanted to know if we were carrying any fruit. We were not and they didn't feel they had to inspect the car, but they could have. The same thing happened on the way back from California. I don't know if they still do that kind of thing, but it was very odd that only Arizona was concerned about it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I was raised from birth through age 16 on the original Route-66, then our family moved out to Ballwin.
Our Florist was still there though on Route-66.
Route-66 followed many different paths in later years, until the final stretch was a couple of mouths south of us.
Although part of Manchester Road was Route-66 which goes all the way across the country.
A few times me and a couple of friends drove the entire length of Manchester Road, and each time we did, the route further out west was a different route than the time before.

Went on a three state drive with my cousin, and we stayed off all the major roads.
In fact, most of the roads we followed were those marked OTHER on the road maps, hi hi.
A three day long trip where we rarely if ever got over 35 mph. A lot of areas was only 30 mph or less.
But we got to see sights most folks never get to see, and ate at some really neat out of the way places too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

We stuck to the main roads going to California because time was of the essence. We only had two weeks to get there and back. I can only recall eating at two spots on the road, although I am certain there were many more stops than those two. One was in Oklahoma on their turnpike reststop. We were recommended this place by the state trooper who stopped us and told the driver he was clocked at 118mph. The only reason the driver didn't get hauled off was because of me. I didn't have a license to drive at that time. I think it was a Howard Johnson's or some such place. We had to spend an hour there or risk being arrested at the next toll plaza.

The other outstanding memory for eating on rt66 was the return trip when we stopped at Needles, California. This town is on the edge of the Mojave Desert where the temp was 112F (I think) around noon. The distinct memory was not about the temperature or the food, but the air conditioning. It was a water cooled a/c unit that produced a lot of humidity. You could feel it when you walked into the restaurant. I'm thinking that was the only time in my life I was cooled by water evaporation, except for all the times after a summer rain storm. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I almost got a ticket on the North South Tollway in Colorado.
They give you a card when you get on the tollway, and check it when you get off, and if you got there too fast, they give you a ticket on the spot. I lucked out because I had to stop to retie the suitcases on my roof, because the tarp was flapping. Had that not happened I would have got a ticket for sure!