Hawking on Suicide

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Hawking on Suicide

Post by yogi »

The venerable physicist and cosmologist, Stephen Hawking, was recently interviewed by Dara O’Briain. The interview in it's entirety will be broadcast on the BBC June 16th. One of the more notable comments from Hawking is his assertion that he would consider engaging in assisted suicide if he became a burden to others or if he had “nothing more to contribute”. I think we all can relate to that feeling. Hawking is 73 years old and apparently thinks he has a lot more left to contribute toward the understanding of the universe, which to me is more astounding than his stand on suicide. This is a remarkable man on many levels.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... ed-suicide
Icey

Re: Hawking on Suicide

Post by Icey »

The man has a brilliant mind, and I can well imagine his frustrations as his illness's taken over. As he says, if someone makes it clear that they wish to die, then perhaps it should be their right to do so and not have the worry of loved ones being prosecuted, but Stephen's strong and active mind's probably helped him to survive the terrible disease which robs many younger folk of their lives. It's a tragic but incredible situation, and I think he'll not only be remembered for his contributions to science and mathematics, but for his bravery as well.
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

He IS an awesome man, made even more awesome by his determination NOT to be a "burden" upon his loved ones. I can only hope that it will be many years before he feels that such an action might be "necessary" in order for him to maintain is dignity. We should keep such a brilliant mind among us for as long as we possibly can...
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with you, although each person who suffers with that dreadful illness is no less loved by his family and friends than Stephen is. Rich or poor, intelligent or not, I think the decision to have assisted suicide should rest with the patient him/herself. If this is what they want, then their dignity should be respected, but some people want to stagger on no matter what.
We have to remember that each day, when someone dies, tomorrow might be the day on which a breakthrough occurs and that magical "cure" becomes available. Some people hold on in the hope of that miracle, and some benefit from it. It's a very personal thing, and also a very personal thing for their families. Some don't see their loved one's illness as being a burden on them at all. They care for them because they love them and don't mind doing it. My mother was one when her own mother was ill. She travelled daily to do what she could for her, and this meant a round trip of a good few miles. She was tired, but it didn't faze her. She could see that my grandmother wasn't going to get better, but the woman was kept as comfortable as possible. Even though she couldn't register properly at the end, she knew that her family were around her, which comforted those left, knowing they'd been with her and done everything possible.