[split] Windows 7 Snipping Tool

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: [split] Windows 7 Snipping Tool

Post by yogi »

Simple, eh?
Icey

Post by Icey »

I've forgotten parts of it already - LOL! But tyvm. It was a feat for me to even attempt it, but I did (over a long period last night!) because I was determined to learn a BIT.
The thing which puzzles me, is why screenshots are used at all, when a person can (more easily) copy and paste? Then again, I suppose taking a screen shot becomes just as easy when you get used to them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Icey wrote:I've forgotten parts of it already - LOL! But tyvm. It was a feat for me to even attempt it, but I did (over a long period last night!) because I was determined to learn a BIT.
The thing which puzzles me, is why screenshots are used at all, when a person can (more easily) copy and paste? Then again, I suppose taking a screen shot becomes just as easy when you get used to them.

In many instances a screenshot is the only way to depict a situation. Take for example a few replies up when you told me that there was a line through your image. I could not imagine that, but I could have seen it if you provided a full screeenshot. It's not the kind of thing you can copy and paste. Another example is the tutorial. There is text describing how to do all this but the text is nowhere near as explicit as the screenshots. I do not think you will regret knowing how to create screenshots. The process is very simple after you have done it a few times.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh I'm sorry - I forgot about that one, so managed to do one without the lines on it.

What it was, when when I dragged the cursor from top left to bottom right of the bit I wanted, the point from A to B was drawn across the window in front of me, and I couldn't get rid of it. I don't know if I clicked onto something inadvertently. I'd been looking in the paint options and clicking onto other things to have at a look at what they did. So, I had to start all over again to get a clear shot to work with. I was going to try and forward the faux pas to here, so that you could maybe see what I'd done, but with going over the steps in my head, it left me!

Then Marjaana told me today that she used to produce screen shots easily, but that she couldn't remember how to do it, so it makes me wonder how many others can't - or haven't tried. The worst part for me, was not in saving the image so much, as then losing where I'd put it at first! I got rid of the rubbish one and put a second one onto my desktop and kind of went on from there, but I'd need to do quite a few before I felt confident about them. I don't think I want to attempt another one for a bit. It gave me a headache - lol - but it was to prove to myself that, despite zillions of help from your good self, I somehow managed to get there in the end - or close to it! It's a feat for someone as stupid and un-techie as myself, so thanks for bearing with me. I bet you're very pleased that most people on your site have more knowledge about such things than me! : )
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:clap:
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are a few ways to get screen shots. What I show in the tutorial is as easy as drawing a rectangle on your monitor. The beauty of this method is that you do not need a graphics editing program to edit or save the picture of your screen. The Snipping Tool has all that built in and works automatically. Saving off files is a fundamental task that applies in many computer situations, and I was slightly surprised that you were not familiar with that process. But, the beauty of this forum is that I can offer instructions and assist in a very details manner. Teaching people how to perform technical tasks is an enjoyable pastime for me.

Marjaana became an expert at screen shots on the old nBF site where the original tutorial was posted. Glenn (kg) contributed an article regarding how to do it in Linux. The method in our archive is slightly more complicated in that some sort of graphics program was needed to save the file. MS Paint is the program of choice in that everyone who has Windows also has Paint. The advantage of using Paint is that you can edit the screenshot before you save off the picture. The disadvantage is that using Paint is an unnecessary step if you do not need to edit graphics.

All things considered I'd say Icey did a good job. Her tenacity is to be admired and she now has a skill that can be used on Windows 10 when she decides to explore that. I would advise practicing once in a while so that you can reinforce what you learned and keep the procedure fresh in your mind. If you can't practice often enough, hopefully the tutorial I posted on this site will remind you of what you need to know.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Thanks both.

I think I DID try to edit, but .... it's me we're talking about here. I'm no good at all on computers apart from the most basic tasks and the occasional fix (faint!), but I just wanted to try and do it, if only once. You must be giving me inspiration, because the job wouldnt've entered my head in the usual way. : )

Still haven't been back to Windows 10 yet. My son's commandeered his machine and mother mustn't touch it (he's still in the novelty stage with it yet!). I'm hesitant about installing 10, despite a part of me wanting to and knowing that it'd probably be for the best in the end.

I think it's not so much the difficulty in getting to grips with it, but rather my dislike of privacy invasion. Maybe I've been listening to too many false assumptions, but I don't know.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Go at your own pace regardless of what direction you follow. Regarding Windows 10, it does collect and store more information about it's users than any previous version of Windows. Having said that, I will hasten to add it's not out of line or excessive. The need to have your personal information (which is mostly innocuous things like the type of computer you are using) is the result of truly trying to make your experience personal and in line with your interests. There is indeed a lot of misinformation and outright lies circulating with respect to what Windows 10 is doing. It must be difficult for many people to know what is the truth. I certainly don't have any inside information, but Microsoft has a reputation to uphold, not to mention legal obligations. If any Microsoft improprieties are discovered in it's products it could be fatal to their business. Again, the world of computers has changed in recent years and Microsoft is not collecting, storing, and sharing anything more than all the other major vendors. Still, protection of your privacy is something you must consider. Is giving up some personal information worth the service that is being provided for that price?

I have the luxury of owning at least two computers, therefore I also have the luxury of running Windows 7 and Windows 10 side by side. My split personality approach has given me some insights that may be useful to you as well. The first certainty in my mind is that I will not upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. At some point in the future I will do a clean install of Windows 10 instead. Of all the times I've tried to upgrade the beta software, it has always failed. I have always had to do a clean install of the next version. I'm taking that as an omen.

The other certainty is a little more esoteric but applies directly to your concerns about privacy. The default installation of Windows 10 wants you to log into the system using an online account that you may or may not have already created with Microsoft. This is a cloud based log in. You can bypass that and log into Windows 10 locally just like you do with Windows 7. This approach bypasses the cloud and all the data that Microsoft puts out there about you. It does not stop the telemetry data collection that is built into the operating system, but it goes a long way to keep your personal information out of the cloud. The price you pay for logging in locally is that there is no automatic way to synchronize all your Windows devices. That synchronization is done via the cloud storage path, and logging in locally eliminates the cloud. You may also have limited or no access to the App Store application. Again, it's a trade off. The less information you give the more severely will the functions of Windows 10 be affected. I am nearly certain that I don't need the cloud and will log in locally when I migrate over to Windows 10. If I ever want to change, i can turn on the cloud at any time.