Bypassing Paywalls

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Bypassing Paywalls

Post by yogi »

Frequently the articles with the most tantalizing headlines end up being behind a paywall. It's all a scheme to increase subscriptions, but there is also some interesting content in most of those shielded articles. There are a few tricks you could try to get around them, but I've not found anything reliable until just the other day. It seems that Google and other search engines are fed those paywall protected articles without the annoying paywall embedded. That's done so that the articles show up in search results. Well, somebody figured out how to view those uncensored pay for view articles the search engines see, and using the technique is very simple. Simply prepend the code below ahead of the URL of interest. Voila! Paywalls disappear.

Prepend this ahead of the URL of interest: 12ft.io/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Bypassing Paywalls

Post by Kellemora »

I jotted that down so I will remember it.
I have a few different ad blockers on the computer, and some pop-up movers, not blockers, because if you block it, you can't get past the black screen, because their end thinks the pop-up is still there. The pop-up mover allows you to click on it and slide it right or left, usually to the right works and the dimmed screen will clear up for me. It was written by the guys at Murgoo who makes my programmable auto-click program. There are a couple of sites where if I move it over, it just pops up a new one and I have two on the screen then, hi hi.
There is another program that uses a different video area section of the computer, how it works I'm not sure, but it is sorta like when you have two monitors with something different on each one. You can shift the screen of interest to the new space, or so they say. It's an expensive piece of programming, with no free trial, so I never looked deeper into it. But those who do lots of graphic work seem to be the main folks who buy it. One of the features it has that is interesting, is it lets you play syncronized videos with a 7 second delay between them. So you see it on one monitor before you see it on your other monitor, which gives you time to stop it for editing at a particular point. I guess this is also how they bleep out something on TV, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I used to be concerned about tracking and obnoxious ads all over the place. After trying a few things that were popular at the time I decided it was too much work. The trackers are not generally impairing the view but the ads are deliberately placed to force you to see them. It's particularly obnoxious when those ads are videos with audio. If I can't "X" them out, I now leave the website. I don't know for sure how long the ad has to run before the site gets paid by the advertiser, but it's only a few seconds so that killing them doesn't necessarily deprive them of the revenue. Several browsers, but not all, have what is called a "reader view" button. This loads the text and nothing else. That is the most effective way of eliminating ads from a webpage.

Not too long ago I got pissed off at Opera because it wasn't playing nice with Windows 11. Actually I wasn't sure it was the browser or Windows given that there are no guarantees with my version of Windows 11; it's a beta version. I uninstalled Opera altogether and replaced it with an open source browser called Brave. I'm sure you know about it because it's similar to Vivaldi, which I believe you told me that you use. The only difference is that Brave is all open source while Vivaldi has a proprietary front end. The rest of it is FOSS. In any case, Brave claims to have a super duper ad blocker built in. Opera makes the same claim, but after about a month's worth of testing Brave has not caused the same problems as did Opera. I don't see a lot of ads either. The big claim from Brave is that they claim they eliminate all trackers. That could be true. I have no way to tell given I run at least three browsers on any given OS. LOL Neither Brave nor Vivaldi nor any other browser I've tried can get past all the paywalls. I think the above code is just a redirect to the author's website that caches Google's search results. They just play back the cached version to strip out the paywall.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Not sure how they work Yogi, but I know I cannot use Opera to do banking, order my medications, and a few other things.

It's been years since I've used anything but Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, usually Chrome because it has features I use every day which the other two do not have.

My pop-up and ad blockers even let me get rid of those pesky notification pop-ops, but it is tricky catching them before they disappear. I don't normally block them on the opening pages, just on pages where I'm doing things and they mess up what I'm doing.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When I was making web pages I would always use Opera to debug and troubleshoot. If I got it working in Opera it would work in any other browser too, including Internet Explorer. I find it interesting to note that IE is now gone while Opera is apparently alive and fighting for its life. Well, way back when, Opera decided to change it's browser engine. Things have not been the same ever since. There was a time when web pages only worked in Opera but nowhere else. LOL I more or less gave up on it for a few years but came back it it when Windows 10 showed its ugly head. I use three browsers the same way people in Linux use different desktops for making different working environments. Each browser has a different function and set of tabs to do whatever it is I want it to do. Opera was running Twitter, or Tweetdeck in my case. I also had tabs connected to the front end of my various servers, such as the router, the NAS, and the printer web server. Thus I did maintenance of those devices using Opera only. Well it still is working fine in Windows 10, but in Windows 11 it will not boot into the assigned Tweetdeck website when I restart the browser. It will work if I manually search or type in the URL, but the automatic loading feature doesn't work anymore. Or, at least I could not see how to make it work. Interestingly, Microsoft's Edge has the exact same problem. That's how it all started. It stopped functioning on Edge at which time I stopped using it altogether and switched to Opera. That worked for quite a while, but after one recent update it stopped functioning the way I need it. So ... I found and installed Brave. So far so good.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do something that requires I be able to scroll down the open tabs, back and forth, without having to click on each one to open the tab. Google Chrome is the only browser that has that feature. Some let you scroll to the tabs, but not open them when you get there. Apparently Google Chrome keeps all the tabs open all the time, so I can scroll back and forth with ease.

Compared to the old Flash Players, this new WebGL, even with Unity, sucks canal water. It crashes more often than the early Windows computers, hi hi. What I could do in 10 to 15 minutes using Flash Player, now takes 30 to 45 minutes or longer to do on WebGL, and you cannot have as many tabs open as you could with Flash Player.
It's been a few years and they are making some improvements, but none to write home about.