YDIO

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

YDIO

Post by yogi »

I've talked elsewhere about the world wars (yes, plural) that are currently being waged right before our eyes: psyops (psychological warfare), culture wars, and cyber wars. It is not my purpose to encourage or endorse any of it, but it would be a step in the right direction to at lease be somewhat educated about all of these operations. That education might be helpful in identifying what is going on and useful for making informed decisions. The following link is presented as an example of what is going on in cyber space.

https://ydio.net/showthread.php?tid=1
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: YDIO

Post by Kellemora »

I hope going to their link didn't get me set up to get hacked, hi hi. But it looks like they have bigger fish to fry, hi hi.

I do find out a lot of stuff you never see in the news, mainly because it is usually hushed up or hidden from the public eyes.
I usually just read it and go, hmm yep, and move on.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You have a right to be concerned because that is the real thing, a hacker website. The reason I trust it is because its target audience is other hackers. There is honor among thieves, and hopefully hackers. LOL You can check the site out on VirusTotal and it will come up clean. The big concern you should have is not in regard to reading the posts there but be VERY careful about any downloads they offer. I don't think you or I would be interested in any of the doxing they do nor any of the databases they hack, but you never know when the names and addresses and phone numbers of the entire Knoxville police department might come in handy. The main interest I have in websites like this is to see exactly what the Dark Web is doing. In this case it's guys in the White Hats going after guys in the Black Hats. After being hacked for so long, it's good to see somebody actually fighting back.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm going back a few years here, but one of my acquaintances right after I moved down here, he had a program where he could get into the city database and see who was coming up on the court dockets for the next week. I think he was getting this list out to a few of his lawyer friends, hi hi.

Back when I was using Windows XP, I had a few secret codes that let me get into areas of XP that only programmers had access to. The only thing useful to me was I could go in and flip something from off to on or vice versa which affected how certain things on my computer worked. The only one really handy for me was one that controlled the number of lines your scroll moved a page on a website, whole page, half page, 10 lines, 6 lines, 3 lines, or 1 line.
On some websites where I was using lists of link lines, they were usually set to scroll three lines at a time. This would normally be OK, unless you had 150 lines and could only do 20 of them at a time, and when you scrolled, you couldn't stop on the one that followed the one you did, so you had to scroll back 3 lines and remember to start on the second one showing, not the first one because you already did that one.

Smooth scroll does not work if the website is set-up to jump three lines, so meeces with smooth scroll feature are useless on them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Some of the tricks and adjustments you refer to are now in the registry of Windows. There literally are thousands of parameters in there that can be set to change the way the system operates. Most of it is useless because if you change it things stop working. LOL That's why hackers like to hide things in the registry. Few people know what's going on there and even fewer know how to fix it.

That's not what YDIO is all about.

Today if you click the posted link you will now find content in one of the forums. Keep clicking and you will find leaks taken off Indian and Saudi telcom servers. I looked over some of the text and recognized it as something a server would do, but I can't see anything that I actually understand. Then again, I'm not a hacker. The point of the leak, however, is to give people enough information about the servers for them to do whatever it is they know how to do if they choose to do it. It's kind of neat stuff and I would never guess what is on those servers. More than that, now that I can find out what is there I would be clueless to try and do anything with that information. However, it goes to show the depth to which the hacking in today's cyber wars can go.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You would never believe all the programs designed for a specific Linux Distro for the hackers to use. The Distro is designed by hackers for hackers, but anyone can get it. Not that most folks would know how to use it, much less how to hack into something.
But these guys are sometimes finding an open port that lets anyone see what a particular part of a companies computer is doing. And if it is of interest to a lot of folks, they will post a link to a website they set up that is always on to that port and area of the companies computer.
Some of them are useful for as long as they are up and running. Like when someone hacks into a traffic camera and posts a link to a website where they have it always on for folks to watch. The one at the zoo is open to the public by the zoo, like to the Ape House and others, but the ones in the back room areas are not, and hackers love to get into these and put them up for people to see. Just might catch a couple of the workers getting a quickie, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Anonymous has been around for a long time, even before hacking was popular. It's hard to say how many groups formed as derivatives of Anonymous, but there are dozens that I know about. There also happens to be legitimate software and Linus distros designed for what they call penetration testing. If you are a large company you might want to hire somebody to use this penetration software to find any weak spots in your network. That profession was just starting to become visible when I had to retire, and today the highest paid techies are penetration testers and forensic investigators. When it all started about twenty years ago you had to go to a few different places and collect the programs of interest to you for penetration testing. Then they got the bright idea of putting it all on a single CD. Then, because it's all open source, somebody invented a Linux OS just for penetration testing. As that OS became more popular, the tools supplied with it became more numerous and more sophisticated. The leader of the pack today is Kali Linux which is one of those OS's that I considered to replace Windows. It has some great features above and beyond the hacking tools, and if I recall correctly it's running Debian in a BtrFS environment. There are a few other Linux distros now which only have hacking tools and not much more. The one I like best is called Parrot Linux. These guys remind me A LOT of Debian in that they have the same problems as does the parent OS. The point is that what was a legitimate offering in Kali Linux aimed at professional pen testers has evolved into a few Dark Web tools. It's no surprise to me that they are all Linux based. LOL

The YDIO leaks today feature India servers. They never say much in the notes about the operating system but looking at some of the files and directory structure it's pretty obvious that all the published breaches are on ... Linux servers.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Kali Linux was the name I couldn't think of yesterday.

I've heard of quite a few big hackers who got caught, but instead of going to prison, they were hired by the Government, hi hi.

Naturally, because there are no Windows servers to speak of.
Just like Windows dominates the desktop market, Linux dominates the server marker.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think the original compilation of hacker tools was something called Phlak. It was compiled by some college professor just to put all the readily available hacking tools he knew about into one package. Kali came out of that, and there have been several others since. I only know how to use a handful of the tools in the Kali kit, but what I like about the organization is that they offer lessons in how to use their OS and the tools therein. If I learned even half of what they got in there I could get myself a well paying job as a pen tester. About the most interesting tool I've learned about is one I've mentioned to you previously. It's called WireShark and is rather popular as a data packet analysis package. I have seen it included in distributions of Linux that are not hacking specific. I've monitored my own LAN with WireShark and at first became quite startled at all the traffic. My computers are talking to each other all the time, but what is most startling is that they are also talking to computers beyond my modem. Some I recognize, but others are mysteries. I have looked up a few of the really suspicious ones and they turn out to be something like ad servers on Amazon's network. Those ad blockers are blocking ads, but apparently they are not blocking data packet transmissions. Hacking is amazing. If I had it to do all over again I'd go into the operations security business. Don't know if the government can pay me enough to work for them however. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Right after I signed up with Comcast for cable internet, I bought a little program that would let me know what was going in and out of my Motorola modem (I didn't use the one Comcast wanted to lease to me.) I had Windows XP at that time, and paid like 39.95 for the program. Turns out it wasn't much more than a logging program, but you could set it to ignore some things and report other things. I remember when I first set it up, it filled like 40k of text in that first couple of hours while I was reading the little booklet and changing some of the settings. At that time, most of the pages were filled with it only checking the time data, and checking my own LAN and the refresh between each computer. Once I set it to not report internal connections nor the time server, I still had like 20k of new stuff to check what it was. And that was without any programs of any kind open. But if you open a browser, wow, and if on for an hour, you had over 60k of text lines just from that. I finally got it set to ignore anything I initiated myself from my computer, but still logged anything that came into my computer, probably for about a year before I figured out which was on the up and up and could ignore them, and which were not.
Then I got a free upgrade to that program that changed how it worked completely. Now it only reported suspected things from their list and my log finally dropped down to like only 10k and was more informative. Instead of logging every IP individually, it now just showed the IP and the number of times it was active. This made it much easier to figure out what was what.
Other than the normal housekeeping, the only time I got a lot of activity is when I had a browser open, at that time I used Firefox, and much of the activity was generated by Firefoxes servers. The thing that surprised me most was the LENGTH of the URLS that came from Firefox, some of them were several lines long. Crazy, hi hi!
After I moved up to Linux, I didn't bother anymore. The novelty of reading logs wore off, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

If the data is on your network, WireShark can intercept it. The program is highly configurable and that is what takes a long time to figure out. Different configurations would be required for different circumstances and there is a way so save those configurations so that they can be called as necessary. I believe WireShark can be set up to read specific IP addresses, or just one if that's what you want. Initially I did not set up any filters and the amount of data was enormous. It collects the raw data packets but also will analyze some of it in the form a a report, such as the originating and destination addresses of a given packet. While I can certainly see any IP's data packet on my LAN, I don't think there is a way for WireShark to block it from propagating. Blocking can be done in the router's configuration, and possibly the modem. Commonly blocking is done via a firewall, however, which is way easier to understand and configure. The beauty of WireShark is that you can't hide who you are if you break into my LAN. Spoofing won't help because the data packets need to retain the actual IP addresses to get to where they are going. It's all amazing stuff and I wish I had more time to analyze it all.

The URL's your browser sees frequently carry more information than just the server addresses. Most of the links I post here are stripped down to eliminate all that extra data. A lot of it has do to with identifying what kind of machine you are using and where you are located and all kinds of stuff advertisers would be interested in. So when you see a long URL, it probably has a /? somewhere after the domain name. Anything after that question mark (including the mark itself) can be eliminated without affecting the connection.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It was fun playing with that tracker program at first, but then it just got be another time consuming chore each day. Which is one reason I didn't follow it much after the initial novelty wore off, and I had the settings the way I wanted them.

I've had to strip off everything after the ? mark on many URLs in order to post the URL to the page, and not using my account, which often don't work anyhow if someone else clicks on it, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

HTTP has the ability to transfer data along with the URL. Using the GET and PUT phrases after that /? is all it takes. Of course the server must have some kind of CGI script to read it and make sense of it. Every browser alive already has that capability. Every once in a while you will see sensitive information in that URL. They used to send passwords in plain text that way. It's easy enough to parse out the variables, but I have to scratch my head sometimes trying to figure out what all that jibberish is referring to. Most of it is for marketing purposes to keep track of how many hits a website gets and thus determine how much the webmaster gets paid. All that gets messed up when you strip out the data.

Also in the same vein another way I like to mess up marketing analytics is by clicking on all those ads on top of every Google search results page. As you probably know those people pay to be on the top of the first page. Depending on who you are and what you are selling it could cost you something like 50 cents each time somebody clicks on one of those ad URLs. So if you really don't like them, click on them as many times as your fingers will allow. It costs the company 50 cents each time you click. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm, I usually don't click on those ad links because it takes you to their website and then you start getting spammed to death.

I bought some dog food and treats from Chewy, and they e-mail me at least once per day, sometimes twice or three times.
It is for this reason I've not bought from them again. Although my wife has a few times because she made the mistake of getting on their monthly shipment program. Took her three months to cancel it too. So now we are sitting on a few cases of dog food the dogs only liked the first week, now they won't touch it, hi hi. Well, not since our Boonleigh died, he would eat anything.

I had a click bait ad I let run for around 5 years, it would still be running if they didn't cut out that service in that way.
I even upped the price I paid to get more times the ad was run. I felt safe doing that because I purposely wrote an ad that was not a good draw. But I had it for a different purpose. I wanted my LOGO to appear as often as possible to people who buy the kind of thing I was selling. My plan worked out great, I got very few clicks from the ad, but my sales stayed up around 30 to 60 units per month every month for the whole time the ad ran. And over the course of 5 years, it only cost me a grand total of about 30 bucks, hi hi. My idea was for my logo to become a common sight to them, so when they were shopping elsewhere and trying to make up their mind, when they saw my LOGO on the items, they would have a feel of familiarity to them. And I do believe it worked, because when those ads finally ended, the sales began to drop like a rock.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are right about those top ads not being much more than click bait. The spam mail can be controlled but obviously not eliminated. I have two approaches to the spam mail problem. One is to set up mail filters in Thunderbird. All the spam I might have a use for at some distant date goes into a folder without ever hitting the INBOX. I could just as easily send it all to the trash, but there are rare occasions when I actually want to use something those spam mails are offering. After a certain number of spam messages in that special folder has been reached, I will just delete them all and let it fill up again. This is a rather passive approach to spam. A more proactive approach is to "unsubscribe" from their lists. I know what you are thinking. Those "unsubscribe" lists harvest active e-mail addresses and sell them to other spammers. While that is true, it does not happen very often. Today, in the year 2022, there is a lot more respect for the unsubscribe request than there used to be just a few years ago. I get very little, if any, spam in my INBOX now. Plus, the ultimate method is to dedicate a honeypot e-mail account to all those online places that want to know your address. All the quality sites, friends, and relatives get a different e-mail address from me. I get virtually no spam in those accounts.

That brings to mind an interesting phishing technique. All my finance related websites are given a special G-mail account. You would not believe how many phishing e-mails I get in the Hotmail account telling me about the dangers I'm exposed to in those financial accounts. I know right away it is fake because I never gave my bank, for example, the Hotmail address. Yet I will get messages saying something drastic has happened there. While all that is cool and effective, I wonder how in all of Hell did the phisher find out I have a bank account at that specific bank?

Your brand awareness campaign falls into the category of what is known as subliminal advertising. That is to say you are advertising your product without the audience knowing what you are doing. This technique is particularly obvious in movies where you see somebody drinking a can of Coke, for example. Coke paid those guys to do that. Normally the brand of any product is concealed unless the producer is being paid to advertise it. Nothing is said about the product other than making the logo/brand visible. I always knew you were a clever businessman. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have all kinds of filters set for my e-mail accounts. Don't get much in the way of spam anymore either. If I do, I mark it as JUNK which automatically sets a filter as well.
On my landline telephone, spammers use a real persons phone number in the caller ID, and change the phone number they use every hour or more often. So it is a waste of time trying to block spammers by phone number.
About two years ago, after noticing most of the spam calls used a City name and often a State name, rather than a persons name or company name.
So what I started doing was clearing up my telephone number list after it hit the limit of 2,000 telephone numbers, and switched to using the NAME on the ID instead if it was a city name, and only have about 40 city names blocked now, and spam calls are now far and few between. I also block many organization names by name instead of number also.
I even have my own phone number blocked from calling itself, because a lot of spammers were using my own phone number in the caller ID as the person calling me on that number, hi hi.
There is another option I could get but I don't want to pay what they are asking for it. But their blurb said, they could block a calling number if the number shown in the caller ID does not match the number the call originated from.
I couldn't use this option anyhow, because I do get a lot of legal calls where the calling number is not the business number, such as my doctors office, they use one number for outgoing calls only, to keep their inbound phone numbers open for callers to call in. I know when the pharmacy calls to tell me I have a script ready, that number does not match their phone number either.

I have other e-mail accounts also, but don't use them for much because they are webmail addresses. I've always had all of my e-mail go through my ISPs pop server. The webmail addresses I have are used for log-in data to certain websites.
The only good thing about webmail is you can access it from any computer at any time.
But I like all real e-mail to be saved on my own computer, so I can keep it backed up daily.

I'm one of very few authors who have a simple and easily recognizable LOGO.
I was told by one of my publishers that it was a very smart move for me to do.
Had I ever finished the long series I was working on for so many years, I would have had my LOGO made in as a small leather keyfob and bookmark piece also. Unfortunately, I got side tracked and never finished the series. It did hit a few editors and we reworked some of it on more than three major changes to appease them. But then staying alive became one of my major priorities, hi hi. FWIW: My little click bait ad, which only appeared to readers in three different genres, and no more than once a month to any specific person. I racked up over 360,000 imprints over four and a half years. I would have went broke if folks clicked on them, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have a fairly short list of numbers in my telephone's phonebook. That's possible because I don't have a lot of business contacts such as you might have. Thus the landline strategy is to not answer any calls whatsoever unless they match what's in the phonebook. There are some exceptions when we expect a call from an inquiry and don't know what number they will use to call us back. But that doesn't happen very often.

I'm pretty sure Spectrum, the people who also supply Internet and cable TV, does what you mentioned. They simply don't forward any calls that have different identities for the display verses the originating phone. I know for certain that Google does that on their Android phones. Google also has a screening function that I just love. It's a bot that answers calls from numbers not in my phonebook. They identify as a screening app and ask the caller to state their business. Once that is recorded they notify me so that I can read the transcript of what the caller says. I have a record of each incoming call as SOP for the "smart" phone, but very few of those call records leave messages. Most just hang up and don't call back.

I love Thunderbird e-mail client because it is very easy to download incoming mail from Microsoft's server. I don't get any junk mail that their server picks out, and there are times when that is a problem. I have to go fishing in their server's Junk folder to weed out the desired mail that they think is junk. Sometimes they vacillate and call something junk but will pass the same address onto my client next time. G-mail is far superior to Hotmail in that regard. I rarely get spam or junk from G-mail. Part of that is because I don't give out that address to just anybody.

The junk mail coming to this site's admin account has picked up this year for reasons I do not understand. Every month or two I also get what looks like an honest to goodness request to register. They don't show up on known spam lists and they have to go through the Google CAPCHA routine in order to get their request accepted. Thus I know they are real people and not robots. Those real people, however, never post here. I really don't see the purpose of creating an account if the user is not at least going to try and post spam. Some have, and they are long gone. Some just register and never do anything else. Weird.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Many eons ago, before the Internet when I had the BBS service, folks actually at to call using a telephone to connect to it.
And if they were making a long-distance call, you know it cost them to do so.
So I really was surprised at the number of hits my BBS pages managed to get.
All they could do on a BBS was read what was there, and move around to different pages.
And some folks were on there for over ten minutes, and a few over 20 minutes, on long-distance.

I've had e-mail accounts with g-mail, y-mail, Juno, and a few others over the years, but always had my main one at my ISP.

A lot of old friends I had lost when an ISP suddenly shut down, they found me again thanks to Farcebook, hi hi.

Maybe some folks join just to copy the mail and see there isn't much activity, so don't come back again.
Either that or they might be thinking it was a social media site.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Those few registration requests we get must land on the home page, the index page, in order to get to the registration link. That means they have to see the site's format if not actually read what is here. It's hard for me to believe anybody could mistake what we are doing here if they make it to the registration webpage. I get a lot of e-mail in the administrator accou nt wanting to increase my visibility so that my business will grow by leaps and bounds. Obviously those people are using spam bots and never bothered to look at what we do here. I have to laugh at the few who claim they looked over the site and found a few improvements that could be made to increase our brand awareness. Then there are the porn sites wanting me to join and those mails written in what seems to be Cyrillic script. Obviously those are crawlers that just harvest domain names and hope there is an "administrator" e-mail account. Most sites do have one.

I used to have ISP e-mail service with Earthlink. That service was what I used for junk mail. They never filtered anything and the 3000 e-mail limit in my INBOX would fill up rather quickly. Their server was super slow and was a nuisance to use. It took forever to delete all that junk. I believe my current ISP also gave me an e-mail account. Now that I think about it, I should probably look at it some day to see if I got any mail over the years. LOL I don't need to advertise spectrum.com with every e-mail I send so that I prefer something more generic like G-mail or Hotmail for personal use. My other buddy down in Tennessee has an e-mail address that uses his last name for a domain. That always impressed me but I suppose I could do the same thing with the people who host this website. All I need to do is buy the domain name and the e-mail comes with it. My only concern there is that I may dump these guys some day and then lose all my e-mail.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya! I removed my admin, administrator, and sysop e-mails from my website. Now they have to click on a link on the website page to get to my normal e-mail. I really should set up a pop mail server on my ISP just in case Comcast decided to stop providing e-mail accounts.
I know my old ISP told me it costs them nothing for folks to use an e-mail address on their servers.

On my old ISP, I had CHL has a domain name. So my e-mail there was ClassicHausLimited@CHL.com
But when I moved over to Comcast, I couldn't get my CHL domain name from them.
Turns out, when you buy domain names, you either buy them from ICANN or whoever it is, or you get one from your ISP for a little bit cheaper. Trouble is, THEY then own the domain name, so if you move, and want to keep it, you have to buy it from them. But I was lucky and ClassicHausLimited was not used by anyone, so I nabbed it immediately on checking.
There are folks out there who monitor the name searches and buy up domain names right after a search is made, so by the time you go to get it, it is already gone. I know they have tried to stop that now, but it still goes on.
I also had the domain SCS for years also, way back at the beginning after I moved from the BBS service to Inlink. Ironic, I never set up a website, but got the domain name so I could use it for my e-mail address for Handymenders. Now it belongs to SCScompute@SCS.com or did.

My first old computer guy used .org for his, and his website always spelled it out with (Organized) in his sub-title, hi hi.
I'm pretty sure he did this because the .com name was already used.