I Did It

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: I Did It

Post by Kellemora »

Why are all of those who have been vaccinated getting the Omicron variant?
Could it be in the shots themselves?
Curious minds want to know!
yogi

Post by yogi »

All the answers to your questions are out there. You might have even read some. I think you are drawing the wrong conclusions and no amount of education can fix that.

Be that all as it may, this is the first day of 2022 and I want to extend a wish for better times in the coming months. They say the beginning of a cycle determines how it will progress and conclude. I envy your weather conditions for that reason. LOL We are just barely above freezing and the sky has been falling since before daybreak. It should all end by sundown. So, hopefully your new year will be sunny, warm, and bright. If nothing else I sincerely do wish you and Deb will at the very least be comfortable and at peace with the world. I can't think of any two people who deserve it more.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Thank you Yogi!

We had tornado's last night, luckily none touched down near us.
But the high winds that spin off of them were really tearing things up for a bit.
I didn't hear how much rain we got, but it was a gully washer that's for sure.
Our Fluke 75 degree weather yesterday is long gone this morning.

If I was out and about, I might worry more, but I spend all day in my office, all by my lonesome.
And I really never go anywhere either. Debi does the shopping on the way home from work.
So about the only time I'm out is to go to doctors appointments.

Have you ever tried to type after having glue dried on your fingers?
I'm sitting here with an emery board trying to get some feeling back to my fingertips, hi hi.

My glasses are made in a weird way, the gold lens holders are glued to the frame fronts.
Why they were not soldered or welded I don't know.
But facial oils dissolve most adhesives over time, so they come apart.
I used a good cleaner to remove all the old adhesive and glued them back together again a couple of years ago.
But I didn't have the type of super glue I wanted so used the Gorilla Brand of gap filling fast-dry glue.
I guess I shouldn't complain, because they held together for two years.
I learned that solder does not stick to whatever type of metal they are made from.
And I tried several different fluxes just to see. Didn't work so I used glue.
Now the things is, trying to work on your own glasses, when your back-up glasses are so old you can't see out of them either, presents quite a challenge, hi hi.
I made a clamp out of a paper clip to hold them together, temporarily, because all I had to use was some of that Gorilla Glue from two years ago, and it wasn't in too good of condition, hi hi.
Now if I had some JET or Hot Stuff brands I could fix them permanently.

Day 2 of the new year, and I'm still here, so that is good!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Got myself some Pliobond for things just like the glasses repair you mention. I've used Gorilla Glue but not the Cyanoacrylate version. Frankly I was disappointed in that Elmers Glue seemed to be just as good. The Pliobond glues literally any materials, similar or different doesn't matter. It's like a hyper version of rubber cement in that it's pliable when cured but strong as glue from a tube gets. The solution to your blind guy trying to glue his own glasses problem, obviously, is to use one of these bench mounted magnifying glasses with a fluorescent lamp built into it. It would surprise me if you don't already have one of those, somewhere.

The temperature here today peaked out at 19F and we could see single digits over night. I guess it's pretty typical for January, but the months prior to this day have been above average in warmth. I noted something interesting posted on Twitter by an amateur meteorologist. He claims that over the past ten years the seasons have shifted. The coldest months historically have been Dec, Jan, and Feb. Now and days it seems to be Jan, Feb, and Mar being the coldest winter months. He had no explanation for the phenomena, and I must say I agree with him. Seems like the seasons did indeed shift a bit.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Debi works at Ace and picked me up a 3 pack of flexible cynacrolate. Will have to wait for this one to let loose again before I use it.
Yes I do have a huge magnifying lens with a round fluorescent tube in it. It is mounted in the center of my bed, where it has been now for 20 years, hi hi. It still gets used more often than you would think it does. I used to do cross stitch. Had a piece I worked on for like 3 years, and it is only about 2/3 of the way done. I would have to learn what tricks I was using to make the front and back look the same before I could get back to it again. Stopped on it after the first heart attack, due to the shakes.

It went down to 29 here, which is about right, since we are usually 10 degrees warmer than St. Loo.
I agree with your amateur meteorologist, and have been saying basically the same things.
While we are having record heat, the other side of the globe is having record cold spells.
Plus the cold seems to be shifting further south for us too, and a month or two behind schedule.
Heck, when I was a kid, we were snow sledding in late November, ice skating in December, and now it seems you don't get enough snow to go sledding until late December, and ice skating in January.

One scientist says it is because the earth is not only larger, but spinning faster too, or he may have said slower.
There was something else about our orbit around the sun too, but I forget what it was now.
Regardless of what the old planet is doing, it seems to be holding its own, but shifting as expected.
Remember, the deserts used to be like tropical forests, and water levels used to be much higher, which is where places like the grand canyon come from.
Erosion also has raised the ocean levels, which makes sense when you think about all rivers run to the ocean, carrying sand, silt, and debris for billions of years.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I dunno Gary. Flexible cynacrolate glue seems like an oxymoron. I guess there is such a thing, and I'll be standing by for any future reports you might issue regarding your experiences.

I am not even an amateur meteorologist, but I think I have a fairly good idea of what is going on with the shift in air masses. The earth is slowing down, by the way and so is the moon. Not sure if it's enough to affect the weather because they are talking less than one second over a year's time. Regardless, the is no doubt about the temperatures here on earth. They are increasing and the hot air is going to places it has not been to in a few dozen millennia. Basically it's going from the south Pacific up north to the arctic instead of moving west to east as you would normally expect due to the earth's rotation. When the hot air hits the cold air (the polar vortex) things start to move in ways we have not seen in the past. That cold polar air is being bumped off its polar position and down into more southern regions over in Siberia. On our side of the globe that warmer than usual air stream is moving from the north to south. It kind of looks like the traditional sine wave if you could plot it out. The peaks and the troughs are what we see as unusually warm, cold, windy, or wet. We always got those things, but now the contrast between the mix is way more than what it used to be which in turn causes a lot of convection generated weather, such as tornadoes and blizzards.

Other than that the weather is perfectly normal.

I just read a piece about the ice shelf down south around the Antarctic. It seems a lot of that warm Pacific water is also going south and underneath the ice at the south pole. Thus the ice sitting in the water is starting to melt and crack like it has not been seen to do in the past. Eventually it's expected that this shelf will break off and float away into the ocean. That's unfortunate, but not a disaster. What could be a disaster is that the shelf going away removes the barrier holding the ice in place on the continent. If that continental ice starts moving because it is no longer being restricted by the ice shelf, that will add to the amount of water being dumped into the oceans. Some of the predictions related to that possibility are not nice. All I can say is that I'm glad we are about 1000 miles from any ocean shore. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'll try to remember to bring the package up here with me tomorrow so you can see for yourself.
I've had super rapid Cynacrolate that dried so fast, it smoked when you put a drop on something.
I've had gap filling types, one of which I used to make a corncob pipe, but was afraid to smoke it, hi hi.
Who knows, maybe they mixed Super Glue with Shoe Goo, and got one that is flexible.
I know when I built model planes and boats, you didn't want to use cynacrolate resins because the vibrations from the motors would break the bond fairly easily. This is one reason why so many hobbyists used Ambroid Glue on almost all balsa models.
Now we did use super glue to hold some things in place while we also glued them with Ambroid so we didn't have to hold them.

Well, I figure it will keep warming up since we are on the downhill side of the current ice age.
At such point in time when we finally reach the valley, then things will start cooling down again as the next ice age starts.
And are we not due for our magnetic poles to shift some time fairly soon. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but soon.

I had a map grouping that showed what North America would look like if the ocean rose 10 feet, 25 feet, 50 feet, and 100 feet.
It really didn't change all that much until you got up to 100 feet.
One could get the same thing by looking at a map with elevation lines on it, and painting lower than a certain level blue.

Al Gore said it would all happen by 2013 I think it was, hi hi.
He needs to go work for CNN, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well, even you admit things are heating up. ice from the polar regions is melting and depending on how much of it does dissolve, the sea level will rise. If it comes up ten feet you can say goodbye to New Orleans. That's only one example of a big city on the seashore. A lot of coastal cities may not go underwater completely, but most of them will be sloshing around in water several feet deep. I guess if they can live with that in Venice, hell, why can't we do the same thing? There certainly is no need for you and I to panic about climate's natural heating up due to the all familiar Ice Age phenomena. We are well inland and protected from such things. I do have to wonder, however, where all those millions of people who currently live on dry land along the Atlantic coast will be moving to when the waters fill up their streets knee deep. Who cares, right? Not our problem. If it happens at all, our kids and grandkids can figure it out.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, my brother figured out what to do.
He lives on his yacht, and currently it still floats, hi hi.

I love watching videos of how the continents moved around and split apart.
And also how the ice ages have come and gone only to come again.
Another interesting thing is to see our distance to the moon is changing also.
And of course the distance of the earth to the sun.
I'm sure all of those things also affect our climate and the climate shifts as well.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I concur with your observations regarding orbital mechanics and continental drift having an impact on climate. All those things tale thousands upon thousands of years to happen; millions of years in some cases. What is going on today with climate change isn't going to take that long. While we certainly have no control over the astronomical forces of nature, we do have control over what is done to our immediate environment to pollute the atmosphere, the soil, and the water we live on. It's flawed logic to say the changing tides of the planets and solar system are beyond human control and thus we should disregard any responsibility for willfully contaminating our immediate surroundings.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Let me ask you this Yogi:
What do we have on this planet that was not already here?
We dig a hole in the ground, take something out, use it for a while, discard it, and eventually, even if it was recycled a few times, in the end, it still ends up back in a hole in the ground.
Some day in the future, when it is cost effective to do so, companies will dig up our landfills and extract things from it to turn into something else, of which we will use it for awhile, and once again it will end up back in a hole the ground.
We may lose a few things from good ole planet earth by shooting it up into the heavens, but even then, most of it will still fall back down to earth, unless it is far enough away from our gravitational pull. In that case those materials are lost forever.
Even so, some day we will be harvesting things from asteroids and bringing it back here to use. Which I don't think is a good idea myself. It will become so popular we will cause the earth to weight too much or grow in size until Pandora comes along.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Let me ask you this Yogi:
What do we have on this planet that was not already here?
The only reasonable response to that question is to be reminded of a fundamental law of physics which has to do with the conservation of matter and energy. The amount of each never changes. We do lose some atmosphere to outer space and take on debris in the form of meteors and such, but the total mass/energy never changes

Since we were discussing climate change in a way I simply brought up the fact that we as human beings are consciously and deliberately adding to the acceleration of the change. I could be misinterpreting your response which points out those natural cycles are ... natural, and somehow that makes it OK for us to contaminate our environment. I sense a slight deviation from logic in that line of reasoning. Plus, I fully understand that you are basically an environmentalist and have told me about quite a few things you do to recycle resources. Frankly you do a lot more in that regard than I do. Our contributions to a healthy environment are indeed important, but we are mere individuals among a crowd of 8 billion others. It will take a change in global thinking to remedy a problem which many folks don't recognize as such.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Don't ya just get tired of all the fad complains that keep popping up from time to time?

I do believe we shouldn't pollute the air we breathe, or the water we drink.
But 90% of the time, those doing the complaining are the very same ones making the biggest mess.

And when you add government to the equation you end up with things always getting worse, and or messing with things that have no affect on our global environment but cause damage in localized areas.

Some regulations need to be put into place to stop some of the poisoning of our planet.
But most of them we have already are meaningless ways to make a poly-TICK-ian or two look good.
While as I said before, it does little to nothing at stopping pollution. Namely the types that don't need stopped, and their efforts only made things worse overall.

Do I need to list them? I think you know what most of them are from my harping about them many times.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Getting back to my original point, the climate of this earth is changing; getting hotter in fact. Some of that change is beyond any human control whatsoever. That's a given. Also, some of that change is due to human activity. It so happens we can at this stage of our evolution do nothing about the natural cycles that might contribute to global warming. We can, however, make changes to our behaviors which contribute to that warming.

A lot of what I read on the subject is indeed garbage. That does not alter the facts. It is not productive nor in the best interest of humanity to assign contrived values or to politicize the reasons for being concerned about such things. All I'm suggesting here is that we can do something and it's short sighted to downplay or ignore behaviors that have an impact on the quality of life of future generations. I realize some would criticize me for being idealistic because there are more immediate problems to be solved. Well, yeah. One of us is indeed being short sighted.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Damit Yogi
15 minutes of typing lost again.
I got bounced back to the login screen while typing, and I had said a lot of important stuff too.
It actually read quite well.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to read your comments. We have talked about this subject previously and I have an idea what your thoughts might be, but it's always enlightening to get a fresh point of view. I regret missing out on it. I also thought you found what causes you to jump out of this website. It was a certain key combination on a specific browser you use, and did not happen on some other browsers. I understand perfectly the reasons for not changing browsers. LOL

Your unfortunate experience reminds me of something very very odd and of a similar ilk which happened to me recently. I make my contributions to these threads on a browser called WaterFox. WaterFox is actually FIreFox with all the garbage stripped out of it. WaterFox is generally a generation or two behind the latest advances in Mozilla browsers because it's maintainer needs time to fix things up when upgrades are made. My point is that WaterFox is a lot like FireFox so that what I say here about it may apply to both.

A couple weeks ago I responded to one of your posts with some well thought out logic. Or, at least I thought it was well thought out at the time, but I don't even remember what the topic was. Regardless, a lot of effort was put into my reply. In my rush to get a preview of what I typed, I accidentally deleted all the text. I know the browser keeps this text in a temporary cache and have recovered lost comments several times in the past simply by going back in the browser history. What I didn't know is how often it refreshes the cache. Was my deleted text stored immediately, or was there still a copy of what I typed in so laboriously? The short answer is there was no copy in cache and all seemed to be lost. I said more than "dammit" by the way, but didn't give up. Somewhere up in the history menu in addition to all the URL's of pages I visited lately, was a button to ... Restore Previous Session. My sessions in this browser consist of 8 active tabs, which in my frustration I closed and reopened in hopes of finding the deleted text. Well, I had nothing to lose and clicked on the "restore" link. The browser added duplicates of the eight tabs from the previous session. Among them was my complete text unaltered in this editing window. I have no idea where that kind of information is stored, and to my way of thinking the browser restored a session prior to the previous one. Be that all as it may I was elated to be able to recover what I accidentally erased.

No, I never mentioned it because we were not discussing lost text at the time. It just seems appropriate to mention it here under these circumstances. And there is no need to be disappointed about the loss. As I say I think I know your general point of view. It would have been interesting, but reading it certainly would not have changed anything.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've come to the summation Yogi, that it is not a combination of keys I pressed.
I think I can safely say that because, this time when I got bumped out to the log-in screen, I had finished a sentence and was in the process of rereading it. I was reaching for the up arrow key, but had not pressed it yet.

I tried the usual trick of going back by holding down the back arrow key, but I was logged out, so had to log back in again, from any of the previous pages to here.

I honestly think it may have to do with how long I spend typing on a page. Perhaps I time out or something.

Some days I come up with a very thoughtful response that makes a lot of sense or points out known issues I thought of while typing. And most of them are forgotten once they are relegated to the page, so going back to try and duplicate what I wrote is nearly impossible for me.

Basically I just talked about past things the government did that was supposed to help our environment, but ended up making it worse, and I used the examples and the reasons why it did so.
yogi

Post by yogi »

ForumTimeout.JPG
ForumTimeout.JPG (25.79 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
ForumTimeout2.JPG
ForumTimeout2.JPG (17.24 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

You bring up a good point about time spent editing a post. The above screenshots show that there is no limit to the amount of time you can spend editing. Likewise, you can delete a post any time before somebody posts a reply.

The session length is set to 1 hour (3600 seconds) on that screenshot, but I upped it to 2 hours (7200 seconds) just to test out the theory. The problem I have with sessions is that I don't know exactly what they mean. I thought that "Session length" specified the idle time after which you would be logged out. This would only apply if you did not check the "Remember me" box on the login page. If you did check that box your session should never end which is why you can get here without logging in the next day, or two, or three. It's easy enough to spend an hour typing, especially if it's a well thought out reply. Hopefully doubling that time will help you stay logged in, but frankly I don't see how it's related.

As far as the subject under discussion goes, we seem to agree that there are at least two major categories of contributions to global warming and the resultant climate change. One factor is the natural heating and cooling of the earth that takes millennia to complete. The other more immediate factor is the inhabitants of the planet, meaning us human beings. We can't do a thing to change the natural cycle but we can clean up our act as humans. The clean act would require everybody, all 8 billion of us, to be on the same page. It would take the entire population in a coordinated effort to control the contribution we humans make to climate change. Since that is more or less impossible, the next best approach would be to have governments of individual countries do the cleanup instead. Governments have the most resources and thus the most influence which is why they would be the best second choice. The downside is what you have pointed out many times. Government operations are not always efficient at producing the desired results. I agree with all this. I don't agree that we should therefor ignore the problem and do nothing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It could very well be I did time out. While I was writing I had a phone call that took over ten minutes to handle. Then the guy who delivers my O2 tanks came, so I had to run down to the house to let him in to take out the old tanks and bring in the new, then sign his book, and then I got back up here to finish where I had stopped writing.
Then I was back to writing, and stopped to read a couple of sentences and found a typo.
Just as I reached for the arrow key, had not touched it yet, poof I was back at the log-in page.
I always check the Remember Me box when I have to log-in, but usually I don't have to log-in at all.
I guess I'm just Forgettable, hi hi.

I don't know Yogi, I tend to like this global warming. It is only 63.5 degrees in my office right now.
And sitting with a heater under me, and my jacket puffed out over the arms of the chair to capture the heat next to me, it is only showing 68.2 degrees on the remote thermometer stuck to the side of my desk about the height of where my fingertips are on the keyboard. Outside is 28 degrees. Brrr.

We have seasons on planet earth, this we all know. We also know the seasons are shifting a little bit more each year.
We also know the overall global temps have been rising since the cold peak of the current ice age.
Man's contribution to the global warming claim is probably less than 2%, which isn't enough to really measure accurately.
Areas that were once tropical rainforests are now deserts, and areas that were once deserts are now heavily populated and man added trees, grass, and shrubs are growing there.

But the question is: Who are the ones making the claim that it is a problem? Those who benefit from such claims?
Reminds of the Ozone Scare that we still hear about, when it started as a Hoax, and is still a Hoax.
But all the laws, fines, rules, regulations, licenses, and everything else involved with that Hoax is still in place!
yogi

Post by yogi »

We can find a common ground in the general principles of things, but some of the important details will never be agreed upon. That is true for this topic of Global Warming as well as others. Speaking of others ... I ran across an interesting article regarding a topic we have discussed recently, i.e. Covid. You may or many not accept what the article reveals, but I think you will find it an interesting read nonetheless. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -air-study