UPS Test

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: UPS Test

Post by Kellemora »

Wow, I used Page Maker for years! My original version came from Aldus, but the upgrades and a new version came from Adobe.
The Aldus version worked perfectly, but after Adobe got hold of it, they messed it up.
It worked great for making the tri-folds and other advertising brochures I did.
I think after I switched to PCs, is when I quit using it, because it didn't work quite right anymore.
A lot of things that worked great on a MAC didn't work too well on a PC, same programs had different features, mostly lacking features I used.

I think if you save a document to PDF format, you can then resize it for the size paper you want to use. But it's not flowable.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think Page Maker was more geared to graphic arts than to word processing. It probably was originally intended for newspapers because that's what the end product looked like. It has some advantages over a word processor but it isn't exactly what is needed by the average secretary or office clerk. I don't remember from who we got Page Maker, but Aldus does sound familiar. I didn't know that Adobe bought them and trashed the product, but I'm not surprised given what they did with Flash. On the positive side .pdf is a great invention. I never worked with the raw program to create a document, but I imagine it's a lot like working with Page Maker.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm, the PageMaker program we had, although it could be used as a text editor and graphics location on a page easily enough. It's primary purpose was to organize individual pages into a book format for printing two sided pages. If you were sending it out to a printing company, it would adjust for how many pages were printed for each section, usually ten sheets of paper which made 20 pages. Because each ten pages got folded and then the next set of ten pages were folded and stacked on top, etc. It worked great when Aldus had it, but after Adobe took it over, it never arranged the pages properly for 17x22 sheets of paper like the book printers used at the time.
These days, each printing company has their own page layout programs to print from single sheet documents. The ones I use always want the print job provided in pdf format ready to go, hi hi.

I really got fooled once buying some software based on the name of the software.
We had a program named Space Maker that was used for inventory control and where things should be placed on store shelves, and on end caps. It was a great program for tracking inventory flow, and slower moving items, etc.
So when I saw a program for PCs named Space Maker for a ridiculously low price I jumped on it.
Only to find it was designed to condense the files on a hard drive so you could squeeze more data on the hard drive.
Had nothing to do with store inventory, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I did some research and discovered that there is a Page Maker program and a Frame Maker program, both of which are currently owned by Adobe. They both came from two different developers apparently. I looked it up because on second thought Frame Maker seems to be what we were using at Motorola. It makes sense that you were using Page Maker because that program was written for Apple computers. Frame Maker could handle the type of full sheet layouts you describe but that's not what we were trying to do with it in our offices.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yeppers, I think you are right, I used it at the flower shop on the Apple II+ and on the Lisa System, but once we got the WANG VS system, they provided all the programs we used plus many more.

But I thought I was still using it on the PCs in later years too, when I was doing the tri-folds and flyers.

I shouldn't try to rely on my memory as to times and events, I believe the old gray matter has failed me many times, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Page Maker is described by Wikipedia as being a desktop publishing platform for Macs. Since Adobe acquired both Page Maker and Frame Maker it's possible that you used both at different times in your publishing career. The computers at Motorola were actually terminals that downloaded the software from a central server. This was handy because it acted like an early implementation of the cloud servers we know about today. Anybody could log in from any computer/terminal and continue their work. It was simply awkward using Frame Maker. I think a lot of people were used to using Microsoft's products on their home computers which made the switch to something else at the office difficult. Eventually Motorola standardized on Apple computers in the offices but didn't bring Frame Maker with it. Microsoft's Office Suite was established on the Apple platform by then, and that is the word processor they went with. After Apple left the building we geared up with Dell. The transition was smooth because the software looks familiar to most people. You can't buy Frame Maker now and days from Adobe, but you can rent it's use for $30/mo. I don't know why anyone would want to, but Adobe is still selling it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It's been so many years ago, and in my case more like 3 lifetimes ago.
I had an interesting life for like 14 years.
Changed gears for only like 3 years and lived another life with different interests.
Then once again changed gears to yet another interesting life for 20 years.
And now I'm in yet another lifestyle, so far 20 years.
Although it is still me, my careers have changed drastically at each major change in my life.
And a few times within those 20 year spans too.
Then folks get confused when I try to remember what era of my life I was doing things in, hi hi.

I can see myself sitting at an early Apple computer with a pool ball rack on the wall in front of me, so this would have been when I lived in Des Peres.
I also remember sitting at that exact same computer desk, working on an Apple II+ at my new house in Creve Coeur.
I also remember sitting at a brand new Wang PC with msDOS in my office basement at that same house.
And installing Windows 3.0 and later Windows 3.11 on it. I also remember the paper keyboard card that sat on the keyboard for the instructions for the F-keys from Word Perfect.
After the second flood, and moving the kitchen to a new room, making the old kitchen my office, I remember buying two matching computers from Better Business World, both with Windows XP I think, and buying custom made special desks, which Ruth and I bough and still own and use here in my garage office down in Tennessee.
Those two matching computers were at the time, the top of the line for the era, built-up machines.
Both of them were still working when I moved south, but were no longer my main computers.
I had bought matching e-Machines, and later matching iMicro bult-ups for Debi and I.
I had a few more built for me after than, plus bought a few used ones after the lightning hit.
And finally the Silver Yogi from you, which is my daily use computer now.

I switched to using GNU/Linux about the time I bought built-up computers using Asus Motherboards with AMD chips since that was what was in the iMicro built-ups.
I was never disappointed in a computer I had built-up for me, but was really disappointed with those I bought off the shelf from retail stores, including the newest I bought for Debi with Win10 she hated with a passion.

Now, if only I had the money, hi hi. The two men who took over from the old men have a super nice computer system they can build. I'm sure they use a Virtual Machine because they load Windows XP, Win 7, and Win 10 on it, plus Linux Mint, and Debian too if you would like. The machine itself uses a lightweight Ubuntu to hold the VMs. They were advertising this machine for $2,800.00 with Linux Mint and Debian in VMs, plus Win 10 if you pay for the license. For 3 grand total you could get Win XP and Win 7 also added in. What you can't do with it is go on-line using Win XP, but you can run all the old Win XP games that Debi has tons of she loves, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Our career paths could not be any more different. LOL My first real job was as an office clerk for an envelope manufacturer. I liked the job but there was nowhere to go unless somebody died and left a position vacant. Sales was always an option, but I was too young to be successful at that kind of work. After that I was hired by Motorola and stayed with them for 36 years. I looked for work for the next ten years, but I didn't have the background that made a fellow in his late 50's prime material. So, in effect Motorola was my one and only employer. While my career was pretty boring, I was pretty much like the rest of the world where your interests change depending on your age. Looking back on it all I think I most enjoyed the dozen years or so that I was a practicing astrologer. I met all kinds of people and learned a lot about life vicariously. Unless I actually win the lottery, I'm guessing I'm in the final phase of my existence. Even if I make it to age 93, as I am hoping, I don't see much changing. I'm just sitting around here enjoying the easy life. Maybe some day I'll get a new computer, or perhaps even get to know one or two of the neighbors. That's it for excitement in my future.

By the way I can't visualize how Windows XP and Debian can run on the same machine/CPU. Even virtual machines are processor sensitive. A long time ago I tried to install WIndows 98 as a virtual machine but was getting error messages about incompatible host processors. XP came before Win 98, so I dunno how that guy is doing it. And, should the day come that I can deliver this old computer to you personally, I can set it up with numerous OS's too. I don't have a copy of XP though, and even if I did I"m not sure how to install it on a 64 bit machine. LOL Which brings up another point, where does that guy get licenses for software that Microsoft does not sell or support anymore?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

XP did not come before Win 98, Win 95 came before Win 98.
I have three Win XP disks with Service Pack 3, and the codes I got to activate it, which still work to activate it.
If not, you can usually get the codes from many places on-line.

As far as I know, he only charges you for the Win 10 license.
From what I understand, on a 64 bit machine, you can set the hosted VM to emulate 32 bit machines in one or more of its boxes.
But I don't think Win 95 or Win 98 will work on today's newer machines, not even in a VM.

I've already rattled on about my constantly changing career paths, some because I wanted to, some out of necessity.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I stand corrected about the Windows XP release timeline. The setup of virtual boxes does offer a list of operating systems it knows about. I generally pick a Linux distribution, or generic linux, and go with whatever it is set to. It's possible that on the list of systems there are some 32 bit offerings. The next time I am virtually making a box I will take note. I was able to set up a virtual instance of Vista on that Silver Yogi you have. That Vista was 32 bits. I am pretty sure it was the Silver Yogi that didn't run Win 98 virtually but it is possible that it ran natively. I don't recall anymore what computer I had when I made the transition from Win 98 to Vista. It was on the one you have or the one I owned just prior to that - a Compaq.

Well, my friend, you touched upon the underlying reason for the existence of this website. Our mission is stated as a place to learn about other people, but all along it was intended to be a place where people can put down their thoughts unconditionally and unrestricted. There is much value in doing such, and I encourage you to let your thoughts run freely as the situation warrants. It's called blogging, but would fit anywhere on this board now that there are only two of us.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

I remember having set up several OS's on Vmware under win 7... Even have a portable VirtualBox setup in a portable HD, also with several OS's... Point was to find wich ones could be set up and which ones couldn't... The main drawback is that RAM requisites double compared with native installs, and there is always the processor overhead when running a nested sotfware pile within a virtual machine. Well, since security is the main reason behind all this, there should not be a problem to handle a 'puter that way. Win XP runs most of Win 95 and 98 sofware, as far as I can remember, so that may be a non-issue.

About the blogging between the both of you, I won't oppose any of it, anyway, I just lurk around here from time to time...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know what I was thinking, Juan, but there are indeed more than two of us active on this website. I have no idea how many read it but do not contribute. Regardless, your comments and contributions are always welcome in any style you choose to write in.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm pretty sure I put Win XP on the Silver Yogi, along with a few other Distro's. Because I put new distro's in new partitions, after a kernel upgrade, it takes forever for grub to find all the old OS's. I guess I should remove some of those older ones, hi hi.

On an older Win XP computer, I had both Win 95 and Win 98 on it, but it seems I installed them as programs, and used the option to make them compatible, or run in Win 95 mode, or Wiin 98 mode. But it was so long ago, I don't remember exactly what I did.
It could be it wasn't the OS itself, but programs from that OS I liked to use. But some of them, although they worked, the newer computers were way to fast for them. Especially some games, instead of running at a nice slow leisurely pace, they ran like lightning so were unplayable. Of course later they came out with new adaptations of those games and slowed them down so they were playable. Some of them like the game that dropped blocks and you had to turn them to get them to fit, when run on a newer computer, all the blocks dropped like in 1/16th of a second, hi hi. Another game, little brickout, the ball moved so fast you couldn't even sit it, and poof game over, you lost, hi hi.

Back when I worked on pinballs and video games, it was possible to copy some of those games to a floppy disk, and play them using a computer with DOS. But it was only some of the later ones that could be reloaded onto a video game console. Earlier games all had their own motherboard and rom chips, and they were only good for that game and nothing else. But some of the later video games used computer motherboards and small hard drives, those are the ones you could play on the early computers.

About the time Win 98 came out, many of those games could be bought to play on your PC.