Buggy Linux USB Stack

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Buggy Linux USB Stack

Post by Kellemora »

My grandmothers ice box was replaced with the only TWIN GE Monitor Refrigerator known to still exist when she decided to buy a new commercial sized refrigerator. I didn't word that too well. It as brand new when she got it, and only a few were supposed to have been made. She sold them for double what the new commercial fridge cost too!

It used to be, toilets either had a flapper ball, or a drop ball on a wire.
Then all of a sudden, every company had to come out with their own type of flush valve, hi hi.
Same thing with water faucets!

It drove me nuts when I first moved south and they call every carbonated drink a coke, no matter what flavor or brand.
Even the places that only have Pepsi will ask what flavor of coke you want.

Someone was discussing the pronunciation of the word SALMON. Made a comment than the way the world is going, you can now pronounce the "L" in Salmon.
She was right about the fact the "L" is now silent in SALMON and it is pronounced SA-MON now.
But I went way back to a 1959 Dictionary and looked it up.
Back then it was pronounced with the "L" and it even showed Sal as in Sally, MON as in Monday. Sal-Mon.
Also looked it up in a Websters Unabridged Dictionary from 1972 and it showed both pronunciations as correct.
Jump up to 1994 and it shows only the Sa-Mon as being the correct pronunciation.

We are told that Dictionaries are based on the COMMON usage of a word, both in definition and in pronunciation.
I don't believe them because of two very simple words that have never been used properly in my entire lifetime by the majority of people and businesses as well. And those two words are Less and Fewer. They have been used backwards for so long, most people don't know they are using them wrong, not even major corporate CEO's.
I use this to my advantage when going through the express checkout with 48 bags of sugar, 12 cartons of soda, and 24 cans of Pringles. I only have 3 items! Sometimes four or five items, just lots of each one. They still only need to read one of each of them.
Had cashiers tell me I have too many items for Express. I would say, not according to your sign. It says 15 items or LESS, and LESS is an uncountable number. Therefore you cannot count how many items I have, they are uncountable according to your sign. Besides, I only have 5 different items!

The way I shop, it is next to impossible to use the self-checkout. I would have to place all 48 bags of sugar on their scale one at a time, etc. until I went through my entire cart. Plus they are not paying me to work for them!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know if I ever heard the fish called Sal-Mon, and my memory goes back to the 40's. Mom always made Sa-Mon paddies and that is how I learned about the word. As far as less and fewer goes, I plea ignorance. I'd have to look it up to know the difference. However, I can say that even if I do use the wrong word, everybody I say it to gets the correct message. You author types are the exception. :lol:

And, I hear you when it comes to self-service at the grocery. The truth in the matter is that they are in the business of selling groceries. Packaging them in a bag for you is an option. Take Aldi's as an example. They don't bag anything because they don't have to.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I actually love Salmon patties! But then it depends on who makes them too.

Words can be strange things at times. Especially when listening to a Slovakian trying to say them, hi hi.

Many folks do not realize this anymore, but...
When you fill-up your car at a self-service gas station, you ARE getting a 5, 8, or 10% discount on the price of the gas.
This was how they managed to get self-service gas stations approved by the government, plus they had to include personal liability insurance for anyone who got hurt while pumping their own gas.
I don't remember what the breakpoints were for the discount, but if I recall, the lower the gas price the higher the discount, because it was geared to a time factor vs labor used, or something like that.
None of that has ever changed! Although oil companies would love to get rid of the discount.

Aldi does not even provide bags, unless you buy them.
But then they are set up in a way that facilitates people collecting empty boxes as they shop, and repacking what they bought into the boxes at the other end of the register line. They still use cashiers!

Self-Checkout at grocery stores does not give you a discount, they do not pay workman's comp., and they are not paying additional insurance for you working for them. This is 100% Slave Labor with ZERO Benefits.
Even SLAVES got fed, minimal housing, slight medical care, and in some cases a small pittance.
You don't get anything at all from the grocery stores who have added self-checkout.
It is NOT a convenience like an ordering Kiosk is at some places, in many cases a kiosk ordering station is a great convenience. Can't say the same about doing ALL the Labor for the grocery store for FREE.
Let them get their way and pretty soon you will have to stock the shelves for them too!
yogi

Post by yogi »

You may recall that Amazon is selling groceries in stores that have no check out stations. The customer is doing all the bagging and packaging as they shop. You don't even have to stop to pay for what you put in your bag. Do you expect to be paid, with fringe benefits, for that? LOL You are more realistic than that - you can't fool me.

If you want to remove the groceries from the store in which you purchased them, and who doesn't, then you implicitly agree to accept the method of packaging they offer; or don't offer in the case of Amazon. That agreement is a condition of the sale. I'm certain all stores have liability insurance to cover any injuries a customer might sustain while swiping a can of beans across a bar code reader just as the gas stations do when you use their equipment to purchase their product. Actually I doubt that the insurance is that specific. Just you being on their property makes them liable.

Your comment about the discount for self-service at the petro purveyors in America is interesting. I never gave it much thought but do realize they offered a discount when the transition was first implemented. The way I see that so called discount is that the difference in pricing between self-service and full service accounts for the addition costs a full service provider must incur. You could rightly say that you are paying a surcharge to cover the added costs for an attendant, which is exactly the same as saying you get a discount for not having the attendant. The profit margin on the gasoline is the same in either case. Exxon couldn't care less about how your gas is dispensed.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Most companies who do not provide great customer service, either don't stay in business for very long, or only cater to a select type of clientele, mostly who are not regulars either, just occasional shoppers at their stores.

Actually, I don't have a problem with the Big Brother type of grocery stores.
I can chose to shop there or not. At least the labor is being done by computers and not myself as with self-checkout.

I had a few uncles and several relatives who owned or still own gas stations. Plus I worked at a few over the years.
I remember when it was against insurance regulations and local laws for someone to pump their own gas!
A lot of changes had to be made before a station could become self-service too!
Add to that all the headaches with the cash/credit fiasco going on, and spark proof pump handles.
Plus the station had to be manned by at least two people in the beginning of self-service.

It was about this time that I made a trip from St. Louis to Denver, and while going through Kansas, I saw cars pulling off the road to a side road that led to a single green gas pump out in the middle of nowhere.
Seems like they were owned by Cities Service and were placed along one of their pipelines, which were not really near the roadway to start with.
They only had Regular Leaded gas, no Ethyl, or Super, like the in town stations.
But what killed me was, the gas was only 15 cents a gallon, and the pumps only took quarters, hi hi.
They were no longer there the next time I made the trek to Denver a few years later.

However, Peabody Coal Company over in Illinois, just across the river, set up a huge above ground tank with coal tar gas.
Normally gasoline cannot be stored above ground, but I guess because it was on their own property, they got by with it.
I remember the big glass tube running up the side of the tank on the outside, covered with a another glass cover, so you could see how full the tank was.
Painted on the sides of the tank was the price based on the level of the tank, the fuller the tank, the lower the price.
I don't believe it was intended to be used in cars, but a lot of people were filling up their cars with that stuff. You could always tell when you were behind someone who filled up with that stuff too, smelled like an old stoker furnace, hi hi.

Oh, here's another one, Monsanto used to sell LION Gas, which was made from waste products, that were filtered and octane added to make it burn in cars. You could also tell anyone who was using LION gas, because if they accelerated orange smoke would come out there exhaust pipe. It was a dead giveaway they were running something toxic from LION gas, hi hi.

We had an old 2-cylinder diesel tractor on our farm. Nearly everyone hated that tractor so it was rarely used for anything more than perhaps powering the sawmill or the main field flooding pumps.
Only god knows what they used as fuel in that thing, it sure wasn't any known type of diesel fuel.
When dad switched his house from fuel oil to natural gas, that fuel oil was pumped out of his tank and into the tank used to fill that tractor, and I know grandma dumped her liquefied cooking grease and oils into that tank too.
I also know you don't use gasoline in a diesel, but uncle John would sometimes add a pint of gasoline into the tractors tank if it was running too rough and it would smooth out for him.
We also had a lot of One Lung engines on the place with the huge flywheels. Most were not used anymore, but nearly every one of them you could get started if need be.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Customer service is a big deal when the competition is tough. That's because your product isn't what brings people to your store. Everybody is selling the same stuff. Gas stations fall into that category, but, as luck would have it, all the gas stations operating today are equally lacking in service. Being equal gives the consumer little choice.

I seem to recall one brainchild of Chrysler Motor Corp being a turbine engine. I honestly don't recall what the advantage was supposed to be, but I do recall stories about the fuel. You can run them turbines on anything, even Mazola Oil. I'd guess the pollution from burning kerosene in your turbine would be different than burning Nitromethane, but back then nobody cared. As it turned out not many people cared about the turbine engine either and like many other Chrysler innovations it bit the dust prematurely.

Back in the days when 2 cycle engines were popular I'd toss in a few shots of Gumout into the tank of gas. The engines I had were notoriously hard to start, particularly in the winter. The Gummout seemed to help quite a bit. There were times when I had to spray ether down the carb to get that first ignition going, but they ran smooth as silk thereafter. Ahh yes. Good ol' Chicago winters. Nothing like them. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yep, the good ole days and the things we did to keep our cars running well.
Dad always used HEET in the gas tanks on all our trucks. Which was the expensive way, but he trusted the brand.
I decided to buy a 55 gallon drum of Ethyl Alcohol (which is what HEET is) and refill all his little yellow bottles.
He never knew the difference since they didn't have safety-caps back then, hi hi.
We also bought oil in 55 gallon drums, and when they moved from cans to plastic bottles I did the same thing, hi hi.

When I had my sports cars, I used to put some castor oil in the gas, which got a little expensive after a while, so only did it the times we went on sports car rally's. I sorta miss all those rally's we went on. Again, ahh, the good old days.

My sister bought a car with that Wankle Rotary Engine in it. The biggest worry was the Apex Seals would go bad, but they never did on her car, although she had several other problems with it.

The weirdest car we had on the property was a Dodge Hydro-Drive. It was a stick-shift car, but had a torque converter. The clutch pedal was bright RED, hi hi. Still had to use the clutch to change gears, but it was easy to teach women to drive a stick with, at least until they got into a real stick-shift with a normal clutch, hi hi.

My motorcycles were two-cylinder, all but one, the old Harley Sportster with the dead mans shifter, hi hi, which actually belonged to my uncle but was housed at my house and I used it more than he did.
When I bought my Suzuki 380J, I almost bought the 550 and glad I didn't. Those who did had nothing but problems with them, while mine ran like a top all the time, never had a single problem with that bike.
I used Army Ammo Boxes for the saddle bags, they held my radio and antenna's. It had a faring, shield, leg shields, am/fm radio I never used since I had a CB radio on it and on all the time, heck it even had a cigarette lighter, hi hi.
Almost like a full-dresser hog, but redneck style, hi hi. Even so, I loved that bike more than any other I ever had.
yogi

Post by yogi »

They said water condensation inside the fuel tank would settle in the gas lines and freeze. That's the reason for putting HEET in the mix. The alternative was to keep your tank full as possible, which is what I did for several years during the winter. I don't recall having gas line freeze problems, but I can't guarantee it was because I topped off the tank every other day. LOL

You got into driving and racing more than most people simply imagine doing. I never had the urge for racing although we went to a few stock car races that looked like fun. US 30 Dragstrip as on the south side of Chicago and I never had the pleasure of going there, but I knew people who did and raced there. If I did any racing at all that would be the kind I'd be interested in. Do or die, literally.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Alcohol makes the water mix with the gas so it don't freeze.
But today with most of the gas already 10% alcohol, I'm surprised Heet is still around.

I was a crazy kid, loved my cars and the races, up to a point that is.
I had a whole wall full of trophies, and although proud of them, they meant I didn't always make it to the big money, hi hi.
Some of them were in a way won unfairly, back when they didn't blend class races.
If you were the only entry in your class, you couldn't lose, hi hi.
Spent the money to build a slant-six Rail once as the only entry in that class.
6 grand spent to win a 14 dollar trophy, hi hi.
But then they began pitting my Rail against the big guns, no more class separations.
I quit doing figure 8 races out in Denver after an on purposes accident against me.
Stopped Hobby Cars a while after that, but still had Drag Racing Blood to burn out of me.
Did a few demolition derbies if I could get my hands on an old Nomad wagon to use.
Unless they can block you in so you can't move, nothing would kill a Nomad!

I really do miss the quality and control-ability of the muscle cars.
Even so, I would never buy a front-wheel-drive car ever again, got stuck with one once, deadly they are!
yogi

Post by yogi »

A few of my buddies as a kid were into racing and rebuilding automobiles. It was pretty interesting but way more expensive than I could afford. I often wondered where they got the money because selling drugs back then wasn't as popular as it is today. It doesn't surprise me at all that you would put 6-grand into a machine to win a $14 trophy. The Adrenalin rush from winning the race is worth every penny. Your memory of that event is priceless.

I didn't realize they had mixed class racing. I'm sure you can only do that up to a certain point before you are outclassed
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Toward the end of my period of Drag Racing, they went by your accumulated times and time trials.
They still had Classes, and only certain classes could be pitted against each other.
They wouldn't run a Rail against a Stock car for example.
But rather than have 4 separate Rail Classes like before, they now only had two.
But by using times, they would give the smaller engine a head start from the tree over the larger engines.
This became quite common in the latter years in almost all drag racing.
And because they maintained accumulated times, the longer you raced there, the more accurate their time for you car became. Only logical they did that because everyone would drive slower for a time trial to get their starting point faster.
Like bowling lousy games when you are bowling to establish your handicap.
After many real games, they change your handicap to match how you really bowl.
It was sorta like that.
So my little Slant-Six Rail was pitted against smaller 8-cylinders a few times, so no I couldn't win after that, not even with a good lead time.

In my years of drag racing, I made the most money running 1/8th mile.
Didn't do too bad running 1/4 mile either, but the car has to be built for either 1/8th or 1/4 mile.
Totally different gears and in-out boxes, and fuels too.

In my earlier years, I preferred stock car and hobby car racing.
Then like a fool I got involved in the figure-8 racing circuit.
Good money, but way too many cheaters in that group of folks.
They almost killed me, which is why I left oval track completely.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I didn't realize there was a 1/8th mile dragster competition. That doesn't seem long enough to get up to top speed, but maybe that was the point: acceleration.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

St. Louis International Raceway was the most popular 1/8th mile track around for decades.
It was also once classified as the safest raceway for teens showing off their stock cars.
Yes, top end speeds were different, 1/8th mile races were all about gearing and traction.
Learning these skills also helped you to win on 1/4 miles tracks too where top speed did matter.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can only imagine the rush one gets from 7 seconds of crushing g-force behind 8000 hp of dynamite. The closest I ever got to that sensation is flying commercial airlines. That moment during the take off run when you are pressed into your seat and pointed above the horizon and the drag from the wheels disappears ... I get excited over simple things. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Stock car races are 80% driver 20% vehicle.
Hobby car races about 85% driver 15% vehicle.
Drag races are 5% driver 95% vehicle.
And Rail Drag races are 1% driver 99% vehicle, hi hi.

Well that was the old days.
Today, nearly every race is 90% computer, 1% driver, 9% vehicle, hi hi.

The only goal of drag racing is to prove who spent the most money on their engine and drive train!