Avoid Chrome

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Avoid Chrome

Post by yogi »

I've not seen the completed page for that saxophone, but I knew you were working on it. As far as web pages go, it's about as professional looking as I've ever seen. All the moaning and groaning I've read about your travails belies the talent behind the final product. You can be proud of yourself with that one, Gary.

Two comments immediately came to mind when viewing the webpage. First of all I didn't realize saxophones could be made padless. I'm, presuming that means there is no padding on the hole covers. My clarinet had cork pads if I recall and that made a great seal. Metal on metal seems counter intuitive but obviously it was of superior quality.

The other thing that caught my eye was the mailing address: C.L.A.S.S.I.C.H.A.U.S.L.I.M.I.T.E.D
What's with all the dots between the characters? Is there some technical significance behind doing that or is it that way just for aesthetic reasons? Mail servers don't care about the dots from what I understand. They ignore them.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Mail bots may have learned to take away the dots, but they probably glean the actual e-mail address from the mail-to: html command anyhow which the line with the dots is linked to.
In days of yore when I started doing that, there was no mail-to: command in use on my pages.
When I did add the mail-to: link, it wasn't too long after that my junk e-mails rose to around 360 per day.
Now I rarely get a junk e-mail anymore. Those I do get are usually gleaned from some place other than my website too.
It could be too, over the years, I've built up my blocked list to unfathomable levels, hi hi.
I've not checked it in years either, hi hi.

My landline phone's blocking feature, besides the NoMoRoBo and other blocking services, is now up to 450 blocked callers.
They used to have a 250 limit and we had to remove them manually, but then they made it where the oldest one scrolled off. Now they increased it to 500 blocks.
The sad thing is, many of these robocallers are using real peoples and businesses phone numbers, so when I block it, it could be someone who might have wanted to call me for some reason.
I do not give a blocked call message. I have it set to ring normally to the caller, but not ring at my end.
My reason for doing it this way is, they will try so many times before giving up.
Where if I give a blocked call message, they will just switch to another phone number on the ID almost instantly.
I even have my own phone number blocked. Makes sense since you can't call yourself from your own phone number.
I did this because I had several calls that used my own phone number as the number of the person calling, hi hi.
They probably used my number to call millions of people too!
yogi

Post by yogi »

OK, I think I understand. Your C.L.A.S.S.I.C.H.A.U.S.L.I.M.I.T.E.D e-mail address is intended to confuse the robots. It's the same technique the bots use to get past the e-mail filters I have in place. LOL Most of the time you want people to click on the e-mail address to get their browser to automatically call up the right app. On one of the sites I curate I take a different approach. I publish the complete e-mail address without obfuscation but make it an image. This gives the viewer all the information they need to manually contact me and the bots just pass it by every time. I've not received one spam mail at that address in about three years. I don't do that with the admin e-mail for this site and the bots know to use the site's own e-mail function to get to me. I can actually stop that too in the control panel but every once in a wile I get a legitimate inquiry. On even more rare occasion we get an application for membership. So I don't want to kill access altogether. The saving grace is that we don't get a lot of spam to the admin e-mail account and those that do come in are easily filtered by Thunderbird.

I don't bother to block the phone calls on the land line. I have a caller list that shows me when a legitimate call is coming in. All the others go unanswered. I clear the list of missed calls about once a month. You would think the bots, or whoever is doing the spam calling, would not call after 100 no-answers. Maybe if it were an actual human doing the calling that would be the case. But bots are just computer programs and don't care how often they are rejected.

The mobile phone has Google behind it. All incoming calls are searched by Google. If it is known spam they don't complete the call. If they are not sure because nobody reported it as spam previously then they give me the option to screen the call which I do every time. If it's a legitimate call they will leave a message. If the caller is on my contact list, I get their picture displayed to let me know it's OK to answer.

Blocking cuts short the communication cycle which is one reason why I don't do it. Let them waste all the time they want calling or writing to me. In fact the more time they waste the better it is. They will call fewer people if they have to play with my filters longer. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although my business sales are now geared to a single mfg. rep. I still get calls for other things, and sometimes from customers with more questions about my product. And now that I have a few things up for sale in my website, and a few things listed on other sites, I need to keep my line open and answer all the calls.
Most of the calls I do get from scam artists do give a person or company name in the caller ID.
But with so many numbers blocked, I now get very few spam calls, maybe two per day is all.

Even my little flip-fone lets me block numbers, and I make heavy use of that feature.
Someone said when a client blocks a number, their computers check that number and in many cases add it to their master block list. But if it says it is a number that is no longer in use, they don't, just in case a real person gets that number. They also don't add numbers of innocent victims to their master block list. Only if their computer can determine it is a known spamming group using the number.

They either need to fix the caller ID system, or come out with a new system that verifies the call is coming from the number being displayed. I do know a lot of telemarketers calls, even if they originate in the U.S. actually go to a distribution center in another country, so the call is forwarded from another country back to the states. So if you trace the call, it takes you to the country the call coming to you is from, but you can't get back past that to the real source of the call.
yogi

Post by yogi »

At the moment Google is using their regular database to search phone nunbers. Any reports of spam to that number will allow Google to block it as an incoming call. There are settings to override that in case you like spam or want to filter it out manually. The spoofing is being addressed too and verifying the origin of the call will be made a feature in Android when it's perfected. So says the article I read. Any that can't be verified will be blocked before it rings your phone. Suspicious ones will give you an option to answer or not. Your solution is being worked on. Google thanks you. LOL

There are blacklists and there are whitelists and I shy away from all of them when it comes to phone calls. I do use them in my hosts file however to derail any known spam before it even gets past the front door.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My landline phone is VOIP through Ooma.
They use a few 3rd party blocking lists, but said they are working with a company who is developing a verified caller system. They never named who, but a few are guessing it is in association with Google.
Currently CNAMs are uncontrolled and unregulated. A Bill was presented to Congress back in 2016 to establish laws governing CNAMs but it died in the House, never getting brought up for a vote.