Outdated Medical Software

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Outdated Medical Software

Post by Kellemora »

I had talked about the birds and high tension lines, and how they sit with their feet apart, depending on the humidity.
And other things concerning them and power lines.
Then I talked about the birds, and an interesting story about what I did with a dozen bird houses for decorative purposes I rendered suitable for outdoor use.

I'm not sure what key combination I hit that causes me to get dumped out to the dark blue log-in screen.
But when it does, I cannot get back to the draft I was working on.
It seems to happen when I take a lot of time to explain something exceptionally well too. Grrr!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I really would have liked to see your comments, but exactly what you describe is what happened to me a few times as well. It's rare that I can't recover, yet there are certain browser scenarios wherein the cache gets dumped and you lose everything. At the bottom of this edit window is a [Save draft] button which will store your incomplete text permanently. It functions very well because I tested it a few times. However, it is counter intuitive to save draft copies in that fashion. So, I don't blame you for not using it. One of the few things I like about G-mail is that it saves draft copies automatically. Perhaps it would be worth responding in a G-mail editor. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I rarely use the full editor, so don't have the save draft option to select from in the quick reply window.
I know it is some key combination doing it, but which key combination I've not figured out yet, because it happens so rarely.
Might just be an occasional glitch too!

I'll never remember all I said, but I'll give it a try.
To get electrocuted, the current must pass through you to ground, or to another wire on a different phase.
A bird is not big enough to span between two wires, so they are fairly safe sitting on high tension lines.
And it is to their benefit when it is cold outside.
At one time, they used to think it was the radiation from the wire transmission that kept the birds warm.
But closer study proved it was not radiation, but resistance between the bird and the air.
On days of low humidity, the birds will sit with their feet spread wide apart, but on high humidity days they will have their feet close together. The humidity in the air is acting like a poor ground, but raises resistance just the same. Not only on the bird but also on the wires themselves.
The electric company is losing some of their electric due to higher resistance in the wires on humid days. The higher the voltage on the main transmission lines, the higher the resistance humid air imposes on the circuit.
On another note, electric wires do generate enough radiation that in some areas where the magnetic fields are strongest, it is possible to stand electric fluorescent tubes up in the ground under high tension wires and have them light up. But the power companies do monitor this and correct the faults causing the excessive radiation. Years ago, they used to hate us Ham Operators, because we could triangulate problem areas and report them too the electric company, and they HAD to go out and correct the problem. Which back then could be costly for them, but now they have ways of doing it fast and cheaply enough they no longer get mad at us, and consider it a service that saves them from finding the hot spots.

The other thing I mentioned was buying around 15 indoor style decorative bird houses from a crafts selling place that was closing down. All but 2 was already pre-painted with the first coat. Others were in various stages of being decorated for sale, and only a couple were completely finished. I got the whole batch of them for like 20 bucks, maybe it was 40, I don't remember for sure.
I bought some clear modeling resin, the kind you mix with a hardener, but was the slow set type, not exactly like epoxy. It would still set if you didn't get enough hardener in the mix, just took longer, which is why it works so great for hobbyists.
I mixed up a whole gallon and used it to fill the insides of the birdhouses, then poured it back out into the bucket. This coated the insides of the bird houses. Then I added a tad bit more hardener and poured it into a flat bakers pan, like an oil drip pan. Then I would dip the roof and bottom into this and hang them up to set. By the time I got all 15 done, they had set good enough I could then coat the walls. I had to do this by using a ladle and pouring the mix over the sides of the bird houses and letting it drip back down into the tray. I could do all four sides at once as the resin was a tad thicker than it was when I did the insides, and it did set up faster too. Even so, I hung them over newspaper to catch the final drips. When I was close to done with them, I still had some resin left that was getting really thick, so I redid the roof on each one which used up all but a few ounces of the resin I had left in the tray.
I did this way back around 2004 or 2006, and they all lasted a good 10 years hanging outside. One is still out there today.
About half got destroyed in our hailstorm, a few from being hit with tree branches, a couple managed to get water inside that froze and split the bottom out. Most were used heavily by the birds each year, so I was pleased, and they looked nice, even the ones that were not finished.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I never gave much thought to bird houses but preserving them as you did would not be something I'd think of doing. LOL I don't know what the average life expectancy of a bird house would be, but given the severe environment in which they operate I'd not expect one to last more than 5 years. Then again, I like birds but don't go out of my way to attract them. Never fed them down here either. Some day I might set up a humming bird feeder, but that would be the extent of my deliberate bird watching.

That tale of resistance on the electric wires is interesting. I can't recall hearing that explanation before, but I do know humidity will affect air resistance. Most if not all the electric current, however, is confined to the conductor wire. While I have seen birds on city electric wires frequently, I didn't think they were there for the heat. It makes sense, but I figured the wires were a lot more stable than a tree being buffeted about in a winter storm. I just assumed that's why they were there.
Last edited by yogi on 02 May 2020, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I always have hummingbird feeders out, from a month before they are due to arrive, to sometimes two months after they are gone, just in case we have stragglers or some who decide not to leave. Hummingbirds are messy birds, so plan on the area they are in to turn black from their droppings, hi hi.

When we used to have a lot of outdoor activities, mainly on the florist grounds, we had numerous purple martin houses way up there in the sky. They had to be taken down and cleaned each year or the birds wouldn't reuse them. I never messed with having but one when I lived in Creve Coeur. When I say one, I mean one with 16 individual houses in one box.

But as far as small single bird houses, I've always had anywhere from 6 all the way up to 20 in my yard.
Most of them were drilled for finches, and a few for larger birds, but not too large that it would attract the birds we don't want like crows and J-birds. On rare occasion a hummingbird may used a well worn and abandoned finch birdhouse, but only if they are the long oval hung laying lengthwise. And then often the don't build inside, but under the little overhang over the door to keep the rain out.

Debi's dad raised gourds to make birdhouses, he had several around the back yard, but they only hold up about a year or two. That big hailstorm we had that broke six of my roof rafters pretty much wiped out every birdhouse I had up at the time.

I had stretched a braided wire cable between two trees, with nylon string running down to the ground from it. I used this to grow tall vineing type of tomato plants. Larger than cherry tomatoes. Much easier than using stakes and tying them up. I had plastic clamps that locked to the string and had a loop around the vine. Only did that one year though and left the cable up, took down the nylon strings. So nobody would play on it, I added a row of cheap birdhouses I made from canisters that a certain type of tape I used at the time came in. Although they were made out of cardboard, the inside was lined with foil and the outside had plastic heat shrink labels, The cardboard was much thicker than a mailing tube, and was probably used as the core on some larger rolls of tape. Sorta looked like a short Pringles can but much larger in diameter. Hated to just throw them away. Put all dozen of them out along that cable, and all but a couple were used by the birds during nesting season. They lasted around four years before a few of them started turning to mush. At the end of the next year I took them all down along with the cable which was not super rusty too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Just what is it about a bird house that appeals to its residents? There is nothing like it occurring in nature. I can see how the house might be welcome shelter for the bird nest, but then it also limits the escape route if mama bird had to leave in a hurry. I guess she simply doesn't leave the kids when she is in a house. But why would they pick a house instead of a tree, or the rafters under my deck?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Birds prefer something over their nests, whether it be another tree branch, or the roof over your rafters, etc.
Next, they prefer protection from predators, so they look for places that are hard to get into by anything larger then they.
But they are picky also! In a birdhouse, if the hole is too large for their species, it is considered unsafe.
If the hole is too small, like you said, they can't make a fast and easy escape.
Inside the birdhouse has to be large also. A birdhouse in a tree has a branch for the baby birds to stretch their wings and practice short flight hops a few inches or so. So a birdhouse needs to be just big enough for the babies to spread their wings and fly about 6 to 8 inches.
This is also why taller bird houses sit vacant, and why the long ranch home style bird houses get used the most.
A nest in a tree, upon seeing a predator, the mama bird may take flight to lure the predator away.
In a bird house, mama may stay inside unseen, but attack anything that sticks its nose near the door.
I learned the hard way that a bird will use a birdhouse that is suspended or atop a pole faster than they will one mounted on top of a sawed off tree, or easier to climb fence post. But if you put it on the side of the fence post, instead of on top, it will get used.
Also they say, in most areas, the door of the birdhouse should face northeast or away from the prevailing winds.
I've not really found this to be the case anyplace I've lived. You don't want them facing the 3 pm to setting sun though.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You make me want to build a bird house now. LOL When we moved into this house the builder left nearly two boxes of hard wood flooring that he didn't use. One box was unopened and the other has all the scraps of wood they cut. It's not enough to cover a whole room and I can't think of what I could do with all that wood. This is oak that is stained and sealed on one side. I'm guessing it would make a hella bird house, and it's ideal for making ranch style bird abodes. There are no fences on my property to hang it from, and the trees are still pretty young; not sure they can carry the weight of an oak bird house. I suppose I could hang it from my deck and see if they prefer that to the rafters.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Do you remember when nails came in little wooden kegs? Most were usually ten and twenty pound sizes.
Grandpa on my dad's side of the family had over 50 of these sitting in one of the warehouses.
They almost got thrown away a few times, so I cobbed several of the ten pound size ones to refinish and sell.
I found a glass canister that fit inside perfectly, with a lid I could affix another wood disk to that fit the barrel.
Being glass canisters already, with tight fitting lids, they sold fairly well, but I only had like 30 of them total, which worked out well for selling them in sets of three.
They would have made great bird houses, but I didn't think of that at the time.
The 20 pound size barrels were not as well constructed as the 20 pound size. Used a wire instead of a straps as the stays, where what would normally be barrel hoops. I sawed a few in half and added straps and made them into planters which we sold from the flower shop. A couple I cut only half way through and made small chairs for kids.

A game came out called barrel of monkeys, and although plastic, they looked like barrels, but with their name and logo embedded in the plastic. I think they originally came out in cardboard tubes, but these were plastic. I managed to get ten of these games for 2 bucks each, and I used the monkeys in some flower arrangements to kids in hospitals, and used the containers to make bird houses I put up near the top of the gable on the ends of the greenhouses that faced my house.
They say plastic lasts 100 or more years. Don't believe it. All of the birdhouses I made were beginning to crack and crumble before they were three years old. I lived there five years, and none of them were intact a year before I moved. All that remained was the bolt and washer with a little plastic dangling from them.
At least they were all used by the birds from the git go until they fell apart.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I recall going to the local hardware store to get nails for my dad. They were sold by the pound. Those were the days when the owner lived in the back of the store in a full residence. I would have to ring a bell for him to come out and serve me. There were several kegs with different types of nails and he would scoop them out into a paper bag. I don't know if they were 20 lb kegs; they seemed like a lot more than that. Those nails would more than likely get pounded into some sort of hardwood. Southern pine wasn't invented yet. LOL Today's nails would bend before they penetrated the woods my dad used to make things. I don't know what the old guy did with all those barrels after they were empty. Probably just burned them. I wouldn't mind having a couple of those half barrels now. That's how I would grow tomatoes down here in Missouri.

UV light from the sun is what deteriorated your plastic bird houses. I guess it depends on the type of plastic, but I see no problem with it laying around for 100 years or so. There really isn't much to decompose as you would have in organic materials, but the chemicals do break down under the right circumstances.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I put a mylar sheet over the screen door to the greenhouse to keep wind from coming in the doggie door.
Come spring and the sunshine, and it usually crumbles like the back window of a car, or tempered glass.

Many of the kids toys we stored in the attic also crumbled into small pieces, and our attic was insulated too, so it never got super hot up there.
I do know some plastics can last forever, but some, if they last a few years you are lucky.

I use little 4 ounce paper cups in my bird seen cans, they usually last a year or two, sometimes longer. Depends on how stiff the cups are when I get them.
But little 4 ounce plastic cups never last more than a few months before they crack or crumble. And this is inside of a closed metal container, about the size of an old Charles Chips metal can.

I know there are some types of bacteria that do decompose plastic, but I don't know how widespread it is, or if the end result is worse than the plastic itself. I heard they have one they were thinking about using in the ocean, while not knowing what the impact of doing so will be.

All the talk about plastic bags drives me bonkers. In FIVE YEARS a person getting them as grocery bags, and if they didn't reuse them before throwing them away, would only consume a 6 inch cube in a landfill. That's the total amount of plastic resin in five years worth of grocery bags, commonly known as T-shirt bags, for the average person over five years.
Plastic bags are not a problem, neither are soda straws for that matter. The real problem is littering and illegal dumping.
Both of which are already illegal!
yogi

Post by yogi »

All the siding on my house and all the windows are made of solid plastic. They say the weather stripping will only last ten years but nobody ever talks about all that plastic disintegrating. I need it to last at least twenty years. After that I don't care if it all crumbles to the ground. The HOA might object to it, but screw them. It wasn't my idea to build houses this way. :lol:

The straws and the bags are indeed litter and causing problems. Obviously the laws that are already in place are ineffective or can't be enforced. Thus it makes sense to eliminate the source of the problem. Educating people against their will is impossible.

I've been reading about those plastic eating bacteria for several years now. I also read about some kind of plant that will eat radioactive material. Neither one has come out of the laboratory stage as far as I know. There have been some experiments in Chernobyl, but I think it's still a hot spot unsuitable for human life.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We had vinyl coated aluminum trim used on the fascia and window trim. Much of that vinyl has already peeled off leaving the bright aluminum, which is now turning to dull as expected.
When we had our concrete block stucco house covered with vinyl siding we bought a higher grade with a 20 year guarantee.
This was all and good until we had the hailstorm. What they replaced was a lower grade, probably 10 year, and it does not have the mildew retardant built into it, and it has faded too. So the front of our house looks like crap now. The side looks great, because when we removed all the siding we kept and reused as many of the original pieces as possible. But any place where they used new, it changed color and grows algae on it really fast. Had it cleaned a few times already, but that don't fix the color change. The insurance only paid for the broken pieces, and you can't get a proper color match due to the variations in batches. Grrr.
I'm sure the whole house will need to be redone again in the near future, but I don't know how I could afford it.

There are still a lot of people living in and around Chernobyl, they appear on the news every now and then.

There was a whole subdivision in Des Peres that was built using enameled steel siding and roof panels that looked like lids from washing machines. It apparently holds up forever. I never saw it elsewhere until I moved down here, and there is ONE House made this way here. Still looks like the day it was built in the 1950's. If there are others, they are probably now covered with vinyl, hi hi.

I know from our local recycling centers, the larger ones that is. They dissolve a lot of the plastics they take in, after they sort it by types of plastic. I was there one day when they were testing one of the large tanks, and the guy said something like we need another 150 pounds added before it will read right and can be pumped into the tanker. The tank truck was already there, but apparently it has to have so much plastic dissolved in the liquid before they can sell it. I have no idea what liquid they use, but it must be worth their while. They have seven large tanks there, but 3 of them say #2 on them, which I assume is HDPE #2 plastic.

We don't normally drive all the way down to that particular recycling plant, because we pass three others to get there. We know which one pays the most for aluminum cans, and since he does take plastic we usually give it to him.
We pass one that specializes in steel items, which we rarely have, and our aluminum guy does not take steel.
I do know what plastic we give him goes down to the big plant with the large tanks.
Since Radio Shack closed, we have to take old batteries up near city hall to an electronics recycler who does not pay for much of anything. Says it's a service he provides. But we know he makes a bundle on the stuff brought to him. Don't know about batteries though, maybe he don't make anything on those. I know Radio Shack didn't.
Meaning small batteries, not car, motorcycle, or lawn mower batteries. Those we get 5 bucks each for, or basically our core charge back, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Enameled steel for house exteriors is something I've never seen or heard about. I can imagine it has a life expectancy approaching eternity. LOL I am really not happy about living inside a plastic box, just like the the ones each of my neighbors have, but I think I'd be even more unhappy living inside a washing machine box. :lmao1:

I don't know anything about the siding that predominates here, but it seems to be solid plastic. Some of the homes have been here ten years or more and there is no sign of mildew or fading. It is likely they all fade at the same rate and thus any differences would not be noted. When I was in the window replacing market, I was told the best ones are fiberglass and can be clad with aluminum. I favored wood and went that route. I could be wrong, but, I don't think wood windows exist in Missouri. They certainly don't exist around O'Fallon. Or, if they do exist they are well hidden. The attitude seems to be, who cares? A window is a window. That's not true by any means. I never felt a draft when I stood by my wooden Pella windows. The ones here leaked from day one. The only reason I didn't replace them all the first year is because the winters are not as harsh as they are near Chicago. Gas heat and electric are cheap here too. So some inefficiency is tolerable. That doesn't mean I have to like it though.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If you are ever up on Manchester Road in Des Peres, check a few of the subdivisions on the North side of Manchester Road after you pass Bopp Road by about 1/2 mile. This is where a while subdivision of them were located. Albeit many have covered the washing machine lids with vinyl siding now hi hi.
All of the windows in my mom and dads subdivision, and those around it by the same builder used wood Pella windows.
The subdivision I lived in which was about 15 years older, used all bronze anodized aluminum triple-track windows.
Until they began adding UV gas inside of thermo-pane windows, triple-track had a higher R-ratio than thermo-pane, as long as the closure seals were intact. I actually loved our triple-track windows! Cheap to replace a broken glass too as compared to thermo-pane.
As I stated once before, our home was one of the Gold Medallion Homes. Which was supposed to mean all-electric, however a concession was made since natural gas was so cheap. However, to get that concession outdoor air had to feed the water heater and furnace firebox. And to prevent winter air from cooling the input air to either device, the input tubes looked like finned radiator tubes, up in the basement rafters. Plus our AC unit had no evaporator inside the furnace unit to cause it to rust out. This is why our furnace lasted over 45 years, hi hi. The original two-compressor AC unit lasted about 30 years and was replaced with a stand-alone unit, sorta like a heat pump only without heat. All self-contained.
I had a few neighbors who replaced theirs with natural gas AC units. Those things were huge too. I never understood how a fire could create cold, hi hi.
My house in Creve Coeur had vertical steel siding which held up great. But I replaced it with vertical aluminum siding that matched the original on the sides and back, but put cedar on the front above the brick. The only reason I replaced the steel siding was because after remodeling each room, and changing the location or size of the windows, I ran out of steel siding I kept from when I enclosed the carport. At first I moved the siding to the outside of the carport, but had more left I could use to repair the other places on the house. Had I known I would have been moving in a couple of years, I wouldn't have spent the money to do new siding.
I also spent a fortune to have an All-Aluminum fence, no steel at all anywhere. It was like miniature chain link and looked great. That too was so I would never have to worry about posts rusting off or the fence getting rusty. More money down the drain since we had to move.
It was sad I did so much to make that home perfect for my retirement years, only to lose it all.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I was being flippant about the lack of wood windows in O'Fallon. They are rare, or at least I didn't see any when we were looking for houses to live in. There ware a couple in Lake St Louis, but those houses were about as old as my youngest daughter. There also is a Pella dealer in the area, not in O'Fallon but nearby, so that I know somebody must be buying wooden windows. Although, Pella sells the whole line of plastic, fiberglass, and wood. This is strictly middle class territory or less. Nobody seems be into opulence, and I must say Pella is high end stuff. The other thing I noted in nearly all the houses we looked at were the windows were not double hung. Forget triple track. I had to be concerned about efficiency back in Chicago because it was pretty expensive if you didn't. They are not into it down here and I'd imagine there is no need for it at all in Tennessee. Some folks like quality and build their homes that way. You obviously are one of those. Most folks try to get away as cheaply as possible. I had to leave town for good reasons, but I left behind a lot of good stuff that simply doesn't exist south of Springfield IL.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya big time Yogi!
When I started doing the renovations on my first house here, since I only use copper for supply lines, I had to special order most of the fittings I needed, because all the hardware stores had in stock were plastic.
Then when I started on my house, even plastic was hard to find in all sizes except for waste, because the big thing was Pex which I hate with a passion. I knew what I wanted so simply placed my order with the hardware store and they got it all in for me no problem. Most was in their warehouses, just not kept in the stores.

Even back in the 1980s when I was doing some work on my Wonder Plants building. I had my bill of materials approved by the zoning commission right down to the brand and types of materials.
Every time I turned around I got a stop work order from the inspector. One time was when I was enclosing the picture windows on the parking lot side with a beautiful diagonal cedar. After the studs were in and they passed OK, when I was installing the Fireproof 3/4 inch thick Dirkes Intermediate Board he slapped me with a stop work order because I wasn't using Styrofoam. I told him Styrofoam is not fireproof and it could not possibly work in this situation. I showed him my permit and approved plans for enclosing this row of windows. He didn't care. So, I couldn't get back to work until I had a meeting with the zoning and building commission to have them lift the stop work order. They did and I got back to work.
Now, over the Intermediate Board went a sheet of 1/2 inch thick Marine Plywood and a layer of Tyvek before the Cedar Siding. I had two windows done with the plywood and Tyvek when the inspector came rolling around again. He slapped me with another stop work order. Said I could not put plywood over the intermediate board, I could only use one or the other, not both. I reminded him this was a commercial building, not a residential building, and I was not using the plywood to reinforce the corners of a frame house. Again, he didn't care, so back to the commission again.
This time I really prevailed. They told him he is NOT to do any more inspections on my exterior work of the building.
One of the big shots from the zoning commission came by to see me, and was amazed at how beautiful we had made the exterior of the building. We also talked about my window treatment for a few minutes. When he saw the reason I used 2x8's with 2x6's between them from the inside, although when he approved the plans, he even said 2x4s are sufficient, but now he saw why I wanted 2x8s in two places in the center. They would hold the two layers of 3/4 inch firewall flush with the rest of the wall so I would have a flat wall inside. He himself came back for every required inspection after that. Passed everything with flying colors, because he could see I did everything overkill, well above code.
The one and only thing he did not like was the self-closing fire doors which were already a part of the building. He said they would slam shut too fast which could be a danger to an employee. It was a simple fix though, I just had to add a friction damper to slow how fast the doors shut when the lead link melted. And when I say simple, it was just a fan blade type of mechanism similar to what you see in a music box to control the speed the music plays, only much larger of course.
Never had another inspector or zoning problem, even when we were installing the grow lighting for the plants and the heat exhaust system. The particular inspector he sent out only gave us one small complaint, but saw our hoods were of higher quality than those store bought type, so passed everything with flying colors.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You certainly have a lot of experience with inspectors of all sorts. You also did a lot of things that needed inspection. The primary goal is safety and habitability, but some of those Gestapo types only know the rules out of the book and nothing else. I can see how exceeding the code would confuse guys like that. They obviously interpret the code as how-to instructions instead of minimum guidelines. Even if you go outside those guidelines with better materials, those things have not been tested or approved for their value. It's my understanding that many of the code books are purchased from outside sources who specialize in those things and do all the necessary testing. Thus the local people have no clue if you happen to do one better than the code. Back in Chicago a lot of those variations and questions about quality were easily solved by the passing of a few greenbacks. It's one reason they called Chicago the City That Works.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Shortly after plastic electrical conduit came out, and I was working for a contractor in a small strip mall, one of the inspectors decided their needed to be a ground clamp to an 8 foot earth ground outside of a long run of the plastic conduit, he wanted the strap about midway between two clearly marked natural gas lines he thought were water pipes.
The Walk Among Us Yogi, and are called Inspectors, hi hi.

I can't say all were bad, there are a lot of great and helpful inspectors out there too who really know their stuff, and can often give pointers on things they picked up over the years.
Back when I was working with poured lead and an inverted cast iron bell in a muddy ditch, really hard to do, one of the inspectors said I could use a no-hub band on the standpipe. I reminded him the fitting was below grade so wouldn't pass code. He showed me another page in his book that described a particular type of no-hub band for below grade use. I lucked out, it was the same brand and type we sometimes used above grade already so had plenty in the supplies trailer. I did talk it over with my boss first, and he double and triple checked to make sure, because he didn't want any black marks on his record. Him learning this nearly put me out of work, because I was the hot pot man at the time.
I must say though, he was pretty a pretty wise fellow too. About the time my job was coming to a close with his company, ABS waste plumbing would now pass code. He didn't like it, didn't trust it, and wouldn't let us use it. It wasn't too many years later that ABS no longer passed code because the joints failed too often. PVC took it's place!
I'm like that with PVC for supply lines. I won't use it. It is either copper or get someone else. We used some PVC in our greenhouses where it was exposed and easily replaced. Running watering systems with solenoids proved PVC joints are not as strong as claimed. We had way too many joints come apart, even with CPVC done the right way. And I already mentioned I hate PEX with a passion. Had to replace several headers in homes where they failed. They are a bit better now, but still, you are trusting an O-ring to not deteriorate. I don't!
yogi

Post by yogi »

The only copper I have here is coming in from the foundation for a few feet. It all turns into plastic from there on. Same with the electric. No conduit in sight. It's all some kind of heavy duty extension cord as far as I can tell. For some reason the breaker box is STILL metal. The toilet has flexible braided something or other feeding it and plastic joints. The only familiar feed is from the a/c unit. That line is still metal and covered with rubber insulation. I guess it's all up to code, but it looks crappy as all hell. However, it is also cheaper than using metal. I suppose it's better than living in a cardboard box. That isn't likely to happen for another ten years or so. :mrgreen: