Outdated Medical Software

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Outdated Medical Software

Post by Kellemora »

OK Deleted them all, now let's see if this posts, hi hi.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

OK, I left, closed Chrome, opened Chrome, and when I came in, I was automatically logged in.
I'll try again in a couple of hours.
When I checked before exiting before coming back it still showed no keys in the list.
I'll check again after posting this.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

OK, it still says there are No Saved Remember Me Keys.
Which is correct since I've not logged back in yet.
Be back in a few hours!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I believe the Remember Me key is created when you check the box and then successfully log in after that. It does not make sense for that key to be created upon exit or any other time than when you instructed it (checking the box) to save the key. If you checked the box and no key was saved, that is a problem.

Given that this management tool is new to me, I honestly don't know if or when those old keys are deleted. The reason for deleting old keys is so that nobody else can log on another computer where you checked the box. Effectively deleting the keys from your profiles disables any remote logins.

The IP addresses you see are in fact the current ones from your Internet connections point, i.e., your ISP. They can change but frequently do not. You can look them up in the whois directory if you really need to know who owns them. Hopefully they are yours and not somebody else's.

Debian is about as crude as an OS as you can get - and that's not a criticism. As you point out you get nothing with the install package. That was also the case with Open BSD, and I abandoned any use of that OS for the same reason I doubt that I'll investigate Debian much further. Because Debian is a rudimentary OS, it is of little value to me. I claim I am still a neophyte when it comes to Linux and I am not interested in building my own custom operating system. The ability, neigh necessity, to do that in Debian is not an advantage in my eyes. Because it is featureless a lot of foreknowledge is necessary to use Debian. It seems to be well documented, but again, I don't have time to learn how to compile an operating system that can't boot UEFI or run nVidia hardware. I can see the value of Debian for the hard core geek, or for people like you who want total control of every last feature. You deserve a lot of credit for you willingness to put up with those kinds of demands.

Buster might be buggy, but it's the latest "stable" release according to Debian. I will agree with your comment without further investigation because I know for a fact Debian 9.x is buggy too. It fails to boot using it's own version of Grub; at least in my hardware suite that is the case.

And FWIW, I opened my browser to this website and was automatically logged in. Because I cannot recall that sequence ever failing, not recently anyway, I'm at a loss to fix anything more that what I already did. I'd like to recreate your circumstances, but the gods of Debian-land are forbidding me to do so. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Yogi - It's 4:30pm - And yes I did have to log-in, but that was expected after deleting my Remember Me data.
I'll know if that fixed it when I log-in tomorrow.

I figure if Debian is solid enough for Ubuntu to build their package on top of, then it must be pretty darn good.
The only computer I couldn't install Debian on was the new Win10 computer I bought for Debi.
But that was because it was UEFI only computer. So I installed Linux Mint on it.
I did install Debian on it when the new version came out to see what it was like, and it would install on a UEFI machine.

I'm not trying to do the things you are trying to do. I just make a partition and install the OS and it works for me.
Like you though, the problem I did have was trying to install Mint on the same computer with Ubuntu.
I was not real happy with Ubuntu and found I could put whatever I needed into Debian and leave out all the Ubuntu stuff.
But as I said Debian is NOT a turn-key system. It is better than it was in that regard, at least now it installs most of the drivers and common programs. But you still have to install all the rest yourself.

Before I leave here, I will check out the Remember Me List to see if it added me, since I did check the Remember Me BOX before log-in.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yeppers, I'm not on the list.
So I'll see what tomorrow morning brings!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I figure if Debian is solid enough for Ubuntu to build their package on top of, then it must be pretty darn good.
This comment brings to the forefront the issue I have with FOSS. Debian certainly is FOSS to the extreme. Because of that philosophy a lot of would be users are excluded from using their OS. I used to think that FOSS was a stroke of genius, and the theory behind it is indeed valid. In the real world, however, where few if any users stick to FOSS exclusively, systems like Debian fail miserably.

Before the Linux kernel evolved to the 5.x series, Ubuntu had the same problems as Debian and for the same reasons. The Ubuntu developers did not want to spend time compiling their own kernel nor developing their own Grub to deal with UEFI. Thus they copied what Debian was doing and added some Ubuntu to that, i.e., the Ubuntu installer is not the same as the Debian installer. This game of copying the original malfunctions built into Debian and the adding a "unique" desktop to call it something other than Debian or Ubuntu runs rampant in the wilds. The added DE's work as the developers intended, but the built in problems with Debian and Ubuntu (or whatever they copied under the guise of FOSS) still plague the OS. When you confront the developer with the problem, they more than likely will pass the buck back to Debian saying it's something that needs to be fixed upstream. Just because that upstream flaw renders the new and improved distribution useless does not seem to concern them at all.

Ubuntu fixed most of the flaws it imported from Debian. One notable thing they did is abandon the strict adherence to FOSS. They now offer nVidia support for example. Unfortunately, the Ubuntu installer is still broken. Hopefully the 20.04 LTS will have fixed that.

You are messing with my mind by not sicking to your usual posting schedule. LOL I really don't mind your random posts, particularly if they are going to help you resolve the login problem.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It appears the log-in is fixed. Got in just now with no problems.

So far, Debian has worked on every machine I have installed it on, with only one exception the New Win 10 machine, at first. A later version of Debian installed just fine.

All computers now have UEFI and many no longer have BIOS as an option, due to the new hardware not supporting it.
Nothing wrong with UEFI, it is more robust than BIOS which is limited in a lot of ways.

Your best bet is to find an OS you like and stick with it, instead of trying to install every OS in the world on the same machine.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your best bet is to find an OS you like and stick with it, instead of trying to install every OS in the world on the same machine.
There is only one way that can happen. I need to find that dream machine. Finding it requires installing it on the hardware I own. In a sense I could say that Windows is that machine which has proven reliable over the years and works on all the hardware I ever purchased or built. I can't say that for anything Linux that I have evaluated so far. My interest in Linux is twofold. Initially I was looking for a replacement for Windows. As I began to become more involved with Linux, I discovered it is ideal for providing opportunities to troubleshoot a myriad of technical problems. It keeps my mind fresh doing that. I can't say Windows is trouble free, but it certainly has fewer issues than I have discovered with Linux. While a lot of people enjoy bashing one OS or the other, comparing Linux to Windows is like the infamous apples and oranges comparison. Neither is better than the other. They simply have different approaches to the same idea.

My current investigation of Debian came out of my desire to help you solve a login problem on this website. I knew beforehand that I did not want Debian installed on any of my hard drives. That was not the goal when I looked into Debian. My understanding of what you are doing there is much improved as a result of this little exercise. While I can't justify battling Debian to force it to work here I do commend you for your ability to deploy it and use it profitably. That should not be a surprise because your approach to computing is different than mine. I am gratified that the login problem has been resolved. Have no doubt in your mind that if the only way for me to help you would be to make Debian work on my hardware, I would do it. I would never install Debian for daily or even casual use.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yes, I'm on a different boat over here.
You may have a yacht, while I'm using a little red rented rowboat.
Both will get you from point A to point B, one may be faster due to having a large motor that burns fuel, but the other is more reliable and not as apt to break down en route.
You might be able to afford a yacht and it's fuel and maintenance, but I have trouble keeping enough oil on the oarlocks.

Linux has worked great for me for years for both business and my hobbies, and it does so for free.
If it were not for the little pittance I get from my business, I couldn't make it on the 89 bucks left over from my SS after I pay out for insurance and our utilities bills. My last years income from business averaged out for amount per month was less than 175 bucks per month. Technically less than that because I forgot to include having to reorder boxes again in the near future.

Since this topic is about outdated medical software.
I thought I would jump back in with a tidbit of info I picked up on a writers group.
One of the members manage to get Covid-19. The one and only place he went to from his house was to get eggs, milk, and bread from the grocery store. He was not near any other person, did not use a shopping cart, and wore gloves to use the self-checkout. Figures that was the only place he could have got it.
Now since they said he could have got it 14 days earlier, he thought back and said he was not out of his house since the first Friday of the month when he went to the ATM, and even then, the lady in the car in front of him sprayed the ATM down with something before she used it.
After being tested and found positive for Covid-19 he went home and studied all he could about it.
I'm bringing it up because he did something very unconventional.
He used a fish aquarium pump and made a small venturi from a ball point pen housing tip. Thus making his own Nebulizer machine and dispenser.
He explained how he made it and what materials he used, but that's not important here.
It is what he did with it.
He mixed up 1 tablespoon of No More Tears Shampoo in a bottle of purified drinking water.
Inhaled the fine mist from this mixture both through his nose and his mouth for about 10 minutes 4 times a day.
Said he tried H2O2 first with little affect. But with the Shampoo, after the first day, he was already feeling better.
Since it wasn't making him sick, and he felt he was getting better each day, he continued.
On the 8th day, he got a call from the testing site to come back in again.
They wanted to see if they needed to put him in the hospital yet.
He went, and although he still tested positive, they said it showed lighter than the first test, and sent him back home again. Five days later he went back and then tested clear of the virus, so he told them what he did, just in case it may help someone else. All they said was he shouldn't have done that, it could have killed him, hi hi.
He just said to them, well it looks like it worked. But he did stop using it, and has not gone downhill at all.
But he don't suggest others try it, based on what they told him could have happened for doing something so idiotic.

Heck, I was using H2O2 as an inhaler for a couple of years with no problems, but now that I have a nebulizer and albuterol I don't need to use the H2O2 anymore. The docs said that was bad for me too, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

This pandemic is bringing out human qualities that I had given up for lost many years ago. People are actually reaching out and helping others get through all this. Necessity is the mother of invention and that means people are doing some creative things to deal with this virus, such as what your author friend describes. I don't know what the H2O2 does, but I do know the best offense against this brand of corona virus is ... soap. It dissolves the oily coating of the bug and thus makes it disintegrate. That's wonderful for topical disinfectant but I can understand why he was told ingesting it could be fatal. I don't know what exactly is in that shampoo he inhaled, but I'm guessing it killed a few other things besides the virus. I'm thinking chemotherapy here where it too kills the malignant cells, but also everything else in it's path.

I've not heard of people taking in Hydrogen Peroxide as a medication, but crazy things seem to work. My uncle had a terrible case of rheumatoid arthritis. He was a mechanical engineer extraordinaire much like yourself and would try things ordinary humans could not comprehend. I think it was by accident but he discovered one day that spraying WD-40 on his arthritic joints relieved the pain. It was extraordinary to say the least. When he told his doctor what he was doing, the doctor was not amused. WD-40 is petroleum distillate and not good for your body. He too was told it will kill him if he keeps it up. Sadly, he did follow his doctor's advice.

It's been a long time since I actually did any moderating on this web site. There is a code of conduct and each forum has rules, but none of that really matters these days. That's why I've not made much of an effort to cleanse what we post here and keep things on topic. That is the difference between chat, what we are doing, and discussions that are more disciplined. Each topic must have a title but that is due to the requirements of the software more than keeping a tight ship. At one time I was concerned about the flow and content because Google ranked us based on all that. To be honest it would not matter if we were on the front page of every search results on the planet. We are what we are and nobody is really interested in what we do here. I had considered making a never-ending thread, which is what most of our threads evolve into anyway. The first time I encountered a bulletin board type website on the Internet was exactly that. It had one thread that went on forever. But as the size of the crowd grew people wanted to reference past posts so that topics and sub-topics were created. If you look into our archives you will see exactly what all that evolved into. Now and days we just sit around and chew the rag. But, I am open to organizing things in any reasonable format you can come up with.

My wife and I are blessed to be able to live in the style to which we are accustomed. It's not going to last forever. Mathematically we will be nearly bankrupt should we live to age 90. A lot of our savings is in equities, the stock market. That has paid off handsomely a few times, but as of today we are down 40%. While that might seem like a huge loss, and it is, it's about where we were the day before Trump took charge of this country. About all that 40% loss is based on the peak before this pandemic. So, when the long term outlook is taken, we are right on target.

The blessing we enjoy is not so much from our investments. We both collect social security benefits and both collect pensions from the companies which we worked for. Any one of those incomes is not enough to survive on, but all of them in aggregate keeps us comfortable. I'm not so naive as to think this will end well. I know about the kind of catastrophe you had experienced and we are not immune from something similar. The likelihood of disaster increases the longer we live.

We saved for a rainy day. I have a friend my age who is running a business from his home in Tennessee and still saving for his rainy day. When he will decide it's time to enjoy the fruits of his hard work is still a question to be answered. When Motorola kicked my butt out of the company I used the profit sharing they gave us to survive until I could collect pension and social benefits. At some point after that I decided it was time to rethink the overall plan. I helped mom die for about two years and the theme during that period was to make her life as comfortable as possible. She would have no second chance. I guess that's the attitude I acquired as a result of that experience. This is it. I'm heading down the last trail. If I don't enjoy it all now and be comfortable as I possibly can, then it will never happen. I try not to flaunt my vices. I don't have many to flaunt. I am grateful for being as fortunate as I am and hopefully a little humble too.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Water is H2O, Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2 which makes it a strong oxidant.
However, other than for special purposes such as use in food or by cosmetologists and hair care folks who use 35%
The normal Home use grade is only 3% H2O2 and used to disinfect wounds.
One should not use the Home grade for inhalation because it contains stabilizers which are harmful.
Food Grade H2O2 does not contain stabilizers and can be purchased in 35%.
But to use it as an inhalation ingredient is must be cut down to 1.5% either with purified water or inhalations saline water.
I used it for a few years and it did help with my COPD and Emphysema quite a bit.
Don't need it now that I have a Nebulizer and Albuterol.

Most of the time it went pretty smoothly, but sometime I had to switch to audit mode which was a real pita.
In audit mode, I had to read every single post and then either allow it to continue to the chat room or block it, or send a warning to the sender to change it.
Although this was just a matter of pressing different buttons, it was very tiring, especially when I had to run a couple of shifts back to back because somebody didn't show up to relieve me.

I also helped to moderate the message system which was part of the website, but only had to do this if someone flagged a message they received for review. You would not believe the number of spammers that come into a website and send private messages out to everyone with information that is a direct violation of our TOS.

After spending 15 years getting my home back home exactly the way I wanted it for my retirement years, and then making modifications as Ruth's illness got worse, it would have been perfect for my current situation.
Unfortunately I had to borrow more than that house was worth to cover her medical bills.
Then after she passed away and I could get back to working full-time, I was just barely making enough to cover everything and that humongous mortgage on the house, but I was finally seeing the blue side of the ledger when 9/11 happened.
Rather than file bankruptcy I called an auctioneer to auction off everything I owned, except for a few personal items.
Sad I had to let some things go, as I could have sold them for a lot more than they brought at auction. But at the time, time was of the essence.
It was during that time of recovery that I met and married Debi and moved her to St. Louis. I was doing well enough I let her take a break from working. But after about 6 or 7 months, and being used to going to work, she decided to take a job. Mainly just to get out of the house and be around people, hi hi.
We held out in St. Louis for around a year and a half before 9/11 hit. Managed to sell off several of my properties at a small profit, but then it came down to the wire and I had to let them all go as fast as I could, especially the rentals that were occupied. Made some investors an impossibly good deal too. Buy them for only what was left owing on them, they paid all the closing costs and my bottom line had to come out at absolute zero. It was a heavy loss, but the safest way to do it and get rid of them.
Then we moved into my mom's basement, only temporarily as I was doing some renovation work so she could sell her house and move into a self-care senior center. While working there I took Debi back to TN to live with her parents, while I got mom moved out and settled. I also had to go into the hospital because I had got lung cancer.
I overcame that and moved to TN, lived in a single room with kitchen privileges, and with what few dollars I did have, I bought a small shack to renovate. God all the code work done on it, and then her dad became ill and died. He was the healthy one and was taking care of his wife, Debi's mom, who had bone cancer for several years.
After his death, and with Debi working, I stopped working on that house to take care of her mom.
I sold the house I was working on and used the money to buy out Debi's sisters share of her inheritance and put the house in Debi's name only. I was making just enough from my little tabletop business to begin renovations on this house and got the main rooms finished before I was hit with two heart attacks. Been going downhill ever since.
But at least we have a place to live that is paid for now. My SS covers the taxes, insurance, and utilities, and most of hers goes to buy Insulin and groceries.
And that's life!
yogi

Post by yogi »

There was a time that the only thing I knew about hydrogen peroxide was what those blonds who colored their hair with it told me. I don't hear much about peroxide blondes these days, and that probably has something to do with the trend toward pink and blue hair. LOL Like vinegar and baking soda, I've read how peroxide can do 1000 things it wasn't designed to do. Because all I knew of it had to do with cleaning and hair bleaching I never would have thought about drinking the stuff. I think the medical profession is finally giving alternate medicine a second look, but the tried and proven high priced meds seem to be the most reliable. Your inhalers are a good example of that.

Apparently the state of Missouri is withholding information about this COVID-19 pandemic. I've not been keeping up with the local advisories because it's starting to get depressing. However, they do keep statistics and publish maps and all that. The neighborhood newsletter had a few comments yesterday about not having access to the number of cases/deaths in our state. Somebody at the government level is keeping track by zip code and the latest gripe is that the list is not being circulated. Some people think it's a great idea to know if your zip code is a hot spot while others think it's dangerous information. It could cause a lot of panic to know you live in an active zone, but they got into things beyond panic. For example, if the zip code next to ours was a hot spot then we could expect an influx of people shopping in OUR stores. I know what the concern is in that case, but really, OUR stores do not belong to us exclusively. If all the shops in O'Fallon had to be closed, I sure would like to know where I can go and not expose myself to excessive risks. As I said, I'm starting to suffer from information overload, but I think all the information that is available should be made public. Making informed choices is much preferred to hoping and praying.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If folks only knew what they were actually buying in many of those so-called name brand products they pay dearly for.
Their own fault though, they can read the ingredients lists. Unfortunately they are made to look much more complicated than they really are, just to make it look impossible to make your own.

Many years ago I started a small business and managed to get my product line into several family owned and local chain stores. I felt guilty about ripping people off since I knew what was in what I was making. However, that being said, I had competition for like kind products in the national chains. I made things like ball point pen remover, coffee maker cleaner, a battery additive for cars, a windshield rain retardant, etc. Every one of those products, except the battery additive and coffee pot cleaner, was made from different alcohol formulations.
Somebody came along about a year after I was packaging 'acidified isopropanol' and hit all the auto parts stores with it, he named his product Rain-X and made a fortune. I started making mine as soon as I could get some from a small airline company. It was used to spray down airplanes to reduce drag when it rained. I actually got my first 30 gallons for free, about 3 to 7 gallons at a time, by draining what was left in the 55 gallon drums they were sending back as empties.
Heck, I got a lot of oil for my cars that way too from our local gas station.

You wouldn't believe the number of cheap things you can buy and repackage under a trade name and make a fortune from. Most don't even require adding more than one or two other ingredients during packaging.

I think I mentioned once one of my products was Pssst Hair Spray. Not to be confused with Psssst Dry Shampoo which I had nothing to do with, it also used 5 to 7 esses in their name in previous years. I sold my formula to Clairol and they renamed it Mural. You may remember Lady Clairol w/Mural? It kept hair spray from being sticky in humid weather!
I never told this to anybody, but I technically had to sell it to Coty/Clairol because what I sold as Pssst was one of their hair spray products I merely added my extra ingredient formula to and put it in aerosol cans. They could not put that formula for hair spray into an aerosol because it would turn to glue, using the common propellants of the day, hi hi. So they sold it in a hand-pump sprayer bottle. My additive thinned it enough and the type propellant I was using, didn't cause problems so I was good to go. Nevertheless, the only thing they bought from me was the non-stick additive formula, and they did pay me a more than fair price for it, based on what I could earn from it myself over a ten year span. They naturally made more than that their first month I'm sure due to their distribution channels.

A lot of states withhold valuable information for fear it would cause a greater panic than we already have.

I have a friend who lives in Illinois who is continually posting doom and gloom stories.
On a few of them I follow up with the true facts and it irks him big time, hi hi.
Just today he posted that Illinois has had 243 total deaths. I assume he meant from coronavirus, but he didn't say that.
So I posted the Illinois death tables by county and the state total under his post. From 2010 to 2018.
Illinois has over 100,000 deaths per year, and it goes up by 1 or 2 thousand per year.
So this averages out to a little over 9,000 deaths per month.
If you look at the deaths per state for January, February, and March of this year, they are all only about 1% above last year on those months, which is the normal increase rate.

Just one more reason I don't watch TV news, and wait to see what is really going on.

Getting back on track here. I learned something about my neighbor, the one with fiber optic cable.
Besides the other things he is doing for companies, turns out he is also an ISP for some of his local business accounts.
I'm sure it is part of his actual POS business for smaller businesses.
He sure is hush hush about everything he is doing over there though.
Other than that big cooling system he had installed, nothing looks any differently over there than at a normal house.
I do know he lives there, and I do know he has different people who work for him, one at a time though, because there is always at least one car there during the day, and when one car arrives, another leaves shortly thereafter, only to return the next day at the same time give or take 15 minutes.
Whatever the reason he chose this house, instead of an office out on Chapman Highway and pay to run that fiber optic cable to it, he must be making good money at it to do all that.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You may remember Lady Clairol w/Mural?
As a matter of fact, I do recall that stuff. However, I would not recall such a thing if you had not mentioned it. LOL

A lot of the fancy boxed commercial chemicals are indeed ordinary things you can pick up on the cheap. I suppose they must add a few things to satisfy copyright laws or just to be different. Most people don't want to be bothered to make their own. I buy vinegar by the gallon and baking soda six boxes at a time just to do the dishes and clean up the kitchen. It took my wife several years before she started to use my homebrew methods. It was just a lot easier for her to pour the gunk out of a bottle or box than to mix her own. There are certain advantages to buying off the shelf. I've tried a multitude of formulas to remove the burned on grease from the electric cook top but nothing works better than Weinman. I don't know what they put into their cleaner, but it doesn't look like I can get all those ingredients at CVS

Politicians have a way of creating a crisis and then refusing to release the facts for fear of panicking the masses. To me is smells more like a coverup for the errors in their ways. I don't recall the last time I heard or read of a politician who announced that s/he made a mistake.

You bring up an interesting point about this pandemic. Yes there are tens of thousands of people dying from it, but the percentages compared to total deaths are quite low. Whether or not those folks were victims of poor planning has yet to be determined, but that is what people should be most concerned about. Having said that, the facts are meaningless when the ICU''s of every big city hospital don't have the capacity to handle the number of people who are choking to death from this insignificant virus. :rolleyes:

I don't know what your neighbor is doing, but I would be very suspicious of anything he refuses to talk about. Having direct access to an Internet Switch has it's advantages and some people are willing to pay big for that. The internet is slowing down now that more people are working from home, which to me is counter intuitive. The additional load is all from the kids out of school and not the folks who can't do their normal computer thing at the company office. Are there really that many kids on the loose so that the public network is becoming overloaded? Could be if they are all going through a commercial ISP. Your neighbor, on the other hand, is apparently bypassing all that.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I used Bar Keepers Friend for years until they diluted it and reduced the price.
The solution to fix it was, I went to the hardware store and bought a box of Oxolic Acid and added enough to bring the old Bar Keepers Friend back up to its original formula, hi hi.

Weinman Polish and Cleaner for Cooktops and Counters is basically kerosene and alcohol, petroleum distillate (liquid).
We used to get it when we lived in St. Louis for doing our stainless steel and granite countertops.
But didn't find it worked as well as the original Bar Keepers Friend on cooktops.

This misinformation spewed by poly-TICK-ians and MSM is really sad.
Although it is not live, it does multiply rapidly in a host, and has a fair longevity on a surface.
It is highly unusual for a virus to mutate from animal to human, but it does happen.
And when it does, you get any number of mutations based on the new host.
China should have nipped it in the bud before allowing it to spread, unless -
that was their goal in the first place and it really is a biological weapon -
they have released for population control and it got out of hand.

What little I know about my neighbor came from our first few conversations when he offered me a similar set-up to his.
But at that time, it was just a matter of handling credit card terminal exchanges for Nova, now under a different name.
Plus he was selling other POS machines with a service contract and a data contract. In other words, he was just a middle man and looking to add other people to do the grunt work of selling and placing machines while he handled all the data for them.
Everything else I've learned about what he is doing has come from the three guys I've met who work in his house. Usually through their car window as they are leaving. And from my neighbor who has now moved, who moved there to have access to the Fiber Optic cable and was planning on doing the same thing.
His house was broke into and one of their dogs shot by the burglar, and this is the main reason they moved.
But I heard from our newest neighbor who bought the house from him that he too is doing computer stuff at home for businesses.
I only heard the other day that he is now providing ISP services for businesses. But what all that entails I don't know, other than it costs him 3 grand a month for a direct connection to the Internet through his fiber optic cable.
I don't know how all of that works, but I don't suppose it is like the old T1 or T3 connections the old ISPs used to use.

YES, all the kids out of school, and people working from home is causing a big problem.
Comcast is grossly overloaded, which is why they cut an area out for an hour each day.
I may have the terminology wrong here, but you'll understand what I mean, I think, unless I'm grossly wrong.
Each Node or Port that Comcast provides can only handle 64,000 connects, and that alone bogs it down.
So they usually add more Nodes or Ports so that each one is normally only handling about 12 to 20,000 connects.
And I think I read somewhere they only had like 15 Nodes or Ports for Internet here in their Knoxville Data Center.

I know years ago when Inlink started their ISP, they used U.S. Robotics Modems.
And if I recall, they had to have ONE Modem for each client calling in to get on-line.
I remember when they moved up from 22.6 modems to 56k modems, they were selling those old modems in bundles of 10 for only 20 bucks, hoping not to have a total loss from them.
I stopped in to visit once, and they had over 100 modems on the rack you could see from the front counter, so I imagine they had that many on the back side of that same rack of shelves.
Just the telephone distribution boxes on the left wall were over 6 feet long combined and each about 4 feet high.

I know cable doesn't work that same way, as they have many users on a single cable, with either each one on their own frequency or addressed in packets using the MAC address. But how they handle each connection in their office is apparently by modems capable of 64,000 connections, but at great loss the more that are on it.

One thing I did notice before the coronavirus attack, was on school days, from about 3pm to 6pm our download speed would drop from 75 or higher mbps to 25 to 40 mbps. Also again around 7pm to 9pm it would drop, but not by as much.
Now, it seems it is hard to get above 40 mbps except right at dinnertime or early in the morning when it is way up there, around 75 to 85 mbps.
I don't know about what the TV is doing since I don't watch it much, and Debi normally records shows before she watches them. Besides, our TV is DirecTV a satellite, but still uses our WiFi for controls. DirecTV also installed a WiFi box of their own now too, which they say is only for a couple of things and we won't notice it on our own system much. Unless she is doing things like streaming something. But then when she does that, it is usually through her Roku connect which does use our WiFi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My wife got herself a bottle of Barkeepers Friend for when she does the dishes. This only started since we moved down here and I was a little surprised to see it given you are the only other person I know who still uses it. I pour vinegar and baking soda into a greasy pan while she uses the Barkeepers stuff. As far as I can tell the vinegar does a better job, but then my wife's eyesight isn't what it used to be so that there is a human factor too. I did the oxolic acid trick on the stove top with no noticeable improvement. The acid smells a bit odd and it takes quite a bit longer to dissolve the burned on grease than does Weinman. Depending on how clean I need to get things I'll use all that acidic stuff plus a razor blade. Seems like the razor is the best solution of them all. LOL

I've not tried to measure the D/L speed on our Spectrum network because I have not noticed any degradation lately. They started to throttle the network back when the FCC killed net neutrality. I can now give them twice what I am paying to get 400MB of throttled D/L if it want it. That's less than half the speed they are capable of delivering, but I'm sure I'll have to take out a mortgage to pay for that when it becomes popular.

I don't know what the limit is on the number of connections to any given server, but 64,000 sounds plausible. I believe the adults now using computers at home for working purposes is a wash. They use the computer at home or at work, but not both. The kids, however, are adding a burden. I just can't see how it is possible for enough kids to be using their computers so that the network would be overloaded. 15 nodes x 64000 modems = 960,000 connections for Knoxville. Hmm, that does seem a little sparse. But then Comcast isn't known for their high quality service.

I read an interesting explanation for the shortage of toilet paper. Well, I read a few, but this one makes the most sense. I guess I knew about this but never gave it a lot of thought. There are two separate and independent distribution networks, along with their unique supply chains, for toilet paper. There is the commercial variety and there is the consumer variety. The commercial stuff is thinner and not wrapped in fancy individual rolls. They typically are delivered on pallets in large quantities. The ingredients for this commercial stuff are different, and most of it is single ply. The entire chain from the forests with the paper to the commercial enterprise that uses the stuff has it's own cast of manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and delivery systems. That all makes sense.

So, when millions of people are not working and most the sit down restaurants are closed, all that commercial toilet paper doesn't get consumed. Well, people STILL need to do their duty, but now they are using the consumer stuff. There just isn't enough to take on the added load, and the supply chain is already running at 100% efficiency. Thus the supply remains the same, but the demand, even if you aren't hoarding, increased dramatically.

I also learned from this article that such things as bananas for restaurants are different than those you would typically buy at Schnucks. The comme4rcial ones are smaller and thinner. There too the supply chains are different, but I have not yet been unable to buy bananas. The ones I did buy on the last trip were ... smaller and thinner. Interesting. :think:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The Bar Keepers Friend they make today is nothing like the original formula that worked great.

I was talking to the original owner of the house across the street from me, the siding guy.
He seemed to know a whole lot more about what is going on around here than anyone else.
I didn't know this until yesterday, but he owned both the house he lived in and the one built next door, which he rented out to his brother for about a year, then his brother moved and he decided to sell it.

There is a whole lot more going on with the guy who put in the fiber optic cable, and it cost him a whole lot more than he let on it cost too. According to Darryl, it cost $22,800.00 to have the fiber optics brought from behind Chapman Highway to the pole in front of his house, all aerial to his house. He got a 20k SBA loan to do this, plus paid another 675 bucks from the pole into his house.
He has to have a Lease and Maintenance Contract for every Utility Pole his optical cable is connected to.
Besides that, he had to buy bandwidth and a connection.
He's not actually an ISP operating out of that house. It is much more complicated than that.
He is providing POS service to something like 45 to 60 businesses, maybe more now.
But the thing he is trying to sell to everyone is for them to become a Relay Site for his WiFi Network, which is NOT at his house here at all. Apparently he just controls each of the WISP sites he is building. But only has ONE in operation, maybe TWO by now. They cost him anywhere from 70,000 to 100k each to put up, and all of them are Rural, away from Cable, although a few may have DSL service.
He needs the relay sites to get the signals from the remote areas to areas where he can get an Internet connection.
It only costs about 10 grand to buy the equipment and install a relay site, not counting the lease for the top of a building. But he had that covered too. Offer them free WiFi internet and 50 bucks a month for the lease. Most will not ask for more than 100 bucks a month. And if you put up a relay site, you can add 30 to 60 accounts through your relay site to cover all the costs and make a profit. Takes about 25 clients to break even.
Much of the area outside of Knox and Sevier Counties do not have Cable service, and those who are on the Internet are doing so through expensive satellite connections and DSL.
Even so, this is something not really associated with what he is doing with his POS business system being operated from his house.
I was surprised Darryl knew so much about what he was doing, until he said he went to several meetings before he decided it was not something he wanted to get involved with, hi hi.

Interesting about the Toilet Paper, but it does make sense.
I usually buy Array brand toilet paper from a foodservice supplier.
It's the only brand left that is still 4-1/2 x 4-1/2 sheets at 450 2-ply sheets per roll.
And the price is cheap too, compared to grocery store or Walmart prices.
Almost all of the TP sold at stores is at rip-off prices as it is, and getting steadily worse.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your neighbor seems to be into at least two different branches of the same business. He is providing Internet access to certain commercial accounts to take care of POS activity. As long as he is wired up to do that, he might as well also be an ISP and provide wireless Internet to the rural community. The WISP service has to be cheaper than satellite. It seems as if he has made a tremendous investment buying the fiber and the maintenance to go along with it. It just goes to show you how profitable his business(es) can be. I think every neighborhood has a Darryl. We have Rebecca down at the end of our street. She knows everybody and has at least a cursory amount of information about everybody on the street.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Got this again this morning
Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

I was worried when I first moved here about running a packaging business out of my home.
It was supposed to be illegal back home too, but since all of the ingredients were food grade I managed to get my permit.
Also the small quantity and the way I was doing it was not much more than cooking up a big pot of soup, hi hi.

The rules down here prohibited operating a business from your home. But we had a popular lawn mower repair shop across the street in a house to the left, Darryl with his siding business and tons of equipment and storage right across the street, and the boys next door to the west of me had a lawn mowing business.
The only one that had traffic was the lawn mower repair guy, there was always a truck with a trailer stopping by his house. After a year or two, I found almost everyone on my street was running some type of business out of their house, the only trick was not to sell anything out of your house, meaning no customers stopping by.
That being said, on the street leading out of our subdivision we had a grocery store at one time, that became an antique dealer, but he had a big parking lot, and is at an intersection, and apparently grandfathered in. Also a church a few streets down in either direction. Most of those who did work from home were doing things like insurance sales, or other things that don't have customers coming to your house.

In my case, about once every six months I had a tractor trailer delivering a couple of pallets of items, like bottles, cartons, cases, and two bulk ingredients. But only UPS came to haul out the completed orders.
The only time I really worried about getting into trouble was when I was packaging the three liquids used in photograph developing machines for Agfa. Agfa quit making the product and sold me the ingredients and special bottles for the machines. But those who owned those machines kept dwindling fast. I still made good money at it while it lasted, hi hi.

Yes Darryl, knows all, sees all, tells all. Besides siding he did replacement windows, decks, and several other jobs, and always tried to stay in the neighborhood. Due to all of his trucks and equipment storage, we are sorta glad he moved. But while he was here, he even sent me a few customers for small packaging jobs, but mainly for me to show them how they could do it themselves. I really didn't want to package some of the things they were selling, they were not illegal, just a royal pain type of products that make a major mess no matter what you do.
Heck, when the guy packaging Malachite Green quit, I could have taken over his accounts easily. But until diluted, that stuff is hazmat, and the dust from it can turn everything, including you, dark blue. What little I need to mix for myself is like 5 grams of the powder in a gallon jug, and then that is used up as 1/4 ounce in 5 gallons, so lasts a long time before I have to mix a new batch from powder. I only mix it outside at the far end of the driveway on a dead calm day, hi hi.

As far as activity across the street at our Fiber Optic guy. It is rare for there to be more than two cars in his driveway.
Only when one employee comes before the other leaves, so only one car normally, two during shift change, and three if the owner is home for the night. He no longer parks his two vans beside or behind his house. I have no idea where he is parking them though. I have a hunch it is at the locked storage facility that does have garages mainly for boats.
It's the only place I know of where they wouldn't get broken into.
The church had a chain link fence, with a top over it they kept their two small church buses in.
But they now park them somewhere else too, and we assume at the storage facility.
The storage business must be big business. I say that because when I first moved down here, I rented a locker to store my boxes and bottles in, until I built my two storage sheds here behind the garage.
Since then they have added 7 more 1-story runs of lockers and over the past two years have built a 5-story high humongous storage building that covers an entire acre.
He used to have an outdoor boat parking area, but now that is all in indoor garages now too.
Boats and cars are in a separate building fairly well away from the other buildings, and some landscaper guys are backing trailers into a couple of those garages too.
When I rented a small locker, it was only 9 bucks a month or 50 bucks if you paid for 6 months in advance.
Since bottles and boxes are not high dollar items, I was in the back row of the original row, and the cheapest too.

Looks like I'm rambling again, hi hi.