Outdated Medical Software

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Outdated Medical Software

Post by yogi »

I'm not sure it would be considered a medical emergency, although breathing does seem pretty important to me. It would seem unethical for the doctor to not give you the script before your appointment if you explained the situation to him. My doctor has a messaging system on their computer so that I can leave messages for just such occasions. He will get back to me personally and has done it a few times. If he needs to see me before he writes the script, then he has his receptionist call or instruct me to make an appointment.

I buy saline in 6ml dosages from a medical supply house online. I don't have a script and they don't seem to care. However, you are correct about the insurance. They will not pay for any elective treatments. I think it's an issue with the insurance people more than it is with the local pharmacy because I'm guessing they could get more from you OTC than they get reimbursed from insurance.

I think you are doing good not to require O2 24/7. You must be doing something right.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The reason they put my on nighttime O2 was because my O2 dropped below 83 while I was sleeping. It is normal to go down, but not that far down. Also, since I'm not sitting up awake to hack and cough, the phlegm builds up in my lungs.

I don't know if it is the O2 overnight, or the fact the phlegm builds up so much. But mornings are really hard for me right after I go off the O2, and have not hacked up the phlegm yet. My O2 which the O2 kept up at 94 to 96 suddenly plummets to below 90, often as low as 88. So the very first thing I do is try to hack as I head to the kitchen to do a Nebulizer treatment with Albuterol.

I do an Albuterol treatment four times a day, in the morning, at lunch, at supper, and before bedtime. It make a world of a difference, as long as I have the phlegm up and out.

Once I'm up for awhile, I'm usually OK, O2 around 94 to 96 on my own. It may drop to 91 by the time I feed the outside birds and sit down in my office, but then pursed lip breathing gets me up to 94 again fairly fast. And if I remember to do it longer, and intermittently throughout the day, I can sometimes get it up to 98, but not often.

It is really scary when it drops down to 86, because you can't breath and can feel a panic attack coming on. But after dealing with my late wife and her issues, I learned a lot about stabilizing. They never gave Ruth a home Nebulizer so it was constant trips to the hospital with her.
I did manage to obtain an continual reading and recording SpO2 meter for her, expensive for the age of the used item.
And then later I found a source for the blended Albuterol, like I'm on now, without a script. Not as strong as they gave her in the hospital, and slightly not as strong as what I'm on right now. But having it and the mouthpiece, and an oxygen tank to power it, saved us many trips to the hospital. But not as she got worse when they would keep her in the hospital for a week or more. She got one lung infection right after another, which is what was her major problem with her lungs.

I honestly hope I never get that bad. She was miserable, and often in panic mode.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When mom was visiting a pulmonologist he said anything down to 85% was OK for her. You may need a little more. Obviously respiration rates fall when one is asleep which would account for increased CO2 and decreased O2 levels in the morning. That phenomena is pretty normal for most people. However, when you don't have the reserved lung capacity and fluids start building up, I can understand where the panic comes from. A friend of mine has sleep apnia which effectively is a condition where she stops breathing altogether while a sleep. It's crazy that the body would do such a thing, but it's not all that rare of a disease. There are special machines that will sense this low respiration and wake you up or increase the flow of oxygen to the mask you are wearing, or both. I'm sure that is something entirely different than what you are experiencing given the emphysema problem. it can't be a pleasant way of living, but I am glad that you found effective ways to deal with your condition.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I am a major CO2 retainer. This is why the doc never put me on oxygen until they found I was dropping below 83 at night.
Using oxygen can actually make the CO2 buildup worse.
Plus the little fingertip SpO2 meters are not designed to separate CO2 from Oxygen when reading your O2 levels.
Almost all of them, including my 150 dollar one, (now valued at 22 dollars), has 2% range on reading O2.
Unfortunately, CO2 is also read, so you could be gasping for air and the meter show you are at 98% O2, when really you are down in the 80s. They erroneously read the CO2 as part of the oxygen.

I have two of these fingertip meters now, the older 150 dollar one, and a newer 14 dollar one.
The older one always reads about 1 to 2 less than the 14 dollar one.
However, the older one always reads exactly what the expensive 300 dollar one used at my doctors office reads.
Unless as I said, my CO2 is super high, then mine will read high compared to his.
If I sit there and do pursed lip breathing for awhile, then both will read the same again. Or I should say, mine will come down to what his is showing fairly fast.

Although I don't like too, unless my phlegm is really heavy and won't come out, I will take a Guafinasen to help loosen it up.
I do take a Citrizine every morning now as well, else I drip like an old faucet.
I do have a lot of nasal discharge in the morning after I sit up, but I usually have about 15 minutes before it lets loose, which gives me time to be where I can handle it without grossing everyone out, hi hi.

On the bright side, I've not had any lung infections like my late wife used to get. At least not yet, and hope I don't.
yogi

Post by yogi »

With all those fluids flowing in your wind pipes and lungs I think it would difficult for an infection to take up residence. It would get washed away pretty quickly. Well, I know that's not exactly how it works, but all that fluid does clean out your innards somewhat.

I worked in a lab for a while with some pretty sophisticated calibration equipment. We calibrated the meters that people used to troubleshoot and set up the radios we sold. While the standards were very precise, and each meter was calibrated precisely at given points on the meter's scale, the movement itself had a 2% uncertainty. So, you might know exactly where 1 VDC was on the meter, but you were never that sure about 1.5VDC. LOL When it comes to OTC medical instruments the accuracy is likely something like 10%. In digital equipment the sensors are not precise, all of which contributes to the variation in readings you see. You can get by with an inaccurate meter if you know where the calibration points are and add or subtract the appropriate fudge-factor. I think most of what you are measuring doesn't demand lab accuracy. A close enough relative reading will tell you what you need to know. You're not going to be breathing well if your O2 is 85% or 87% or 83%. All you want to know is which direction it's going so that you can prepare the right remedy.

While I worked in the calibration lab I frequently thought about getting a job in a medical equipment lab. It's pretty easy work and paid a heck of a lot in salary back then. I never did it because Motorola had some pretty good long term benefits I didn't want to lose.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had a voltage meter I used when I worked on pinball, video, and gaming machines that read out to 1/100th of a volt.
We needed that accuracy especially for the gaming machines. Just because the meter read that close, didn't mean we had to have that tight a machine, they only had to be within 1/10th of a volt. However, I don't remember what it was we were measuring. Seems like it was input and output from the black box sealed by the government, also known as the random number generator.

I have two certified weights here I use to check my gram scale. Now my gram scale is a cheap postal scale I bought for a low price, and found it to be more accurate than some other higher priced gram scales I've used at work.
One weight is 5 grams, the other is 100 grams. If I laid 100 bills of any denomination on the scale, new or used, it would weight exactly 100 grams. Although if there are too many dirty ones, it may be flickering on 101 grams on my scale, but on the one at work it would only flicker up to about 1.5 or 1.7 grams.
We did have a bill counter that counted the bills individually, and made sure they were all the same denomination, and it also put a band on them.
Most of the coins we handled were done solely by weight. We could take them to the bank in canvas bags.
Sure beat when we had to wrap them with the pre-made tubes, although we had a machine for that too.
The newest machine just used rolls of paper and made the curled end tubes, but that darn thing always had something go wrong with it. So most of the coins we wrapped, we used the older machine that used pre-made tubes.
After I was gone, I think they got a machine that used plastic heat shrink coin tubes.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The lab I worked in only made analog equipment during my tenure there. But we had digital meters when I analyzed circuit boards. They too could read down to the .oo1 volt, but the usefulness of that ability depended entirely on the range you were on. The Fluke meters were typically 1% (or maybe 2%) accurate so that a reading on the 1 volt range could give you an error of .1 volts thus making the .oo1 reading meaningless. I think they also had a .200 volt full scale range which is where the .oo1 accuracy might actually tell you something.

I had a paper route when I was a kid and accumulated a ton of coins as tips. I rolled my own a few times to take them to the bank but they refused to take them rolled up. Their excuse was that people put lead weights (or something) inside the rolls instead of quarters. So, every time after that I took my bucket of loose coins to the bank for them to put through their sorting machine themselves. A time or two they told me they were too busy to do that too. Now you can do it all yourself at WalMart. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Odd, my bank always made me roll my coins, and after a while they started us putting our name and address on them. I didn't like that one bit so used an envelope sticker with my business name and address.
A few months later they said I only need to put my checking account number on them.
Then a few months later, they didn't require anything on them.
Now my brother who handled thousands of coins never had to put anything on the rolls he turned in.
But all quarters were sent in canvas bank bags, which they weighed.
They would later run them through a machine and give him a debit or credit on his account if it was off by a quarter or two, hi hi. The coins he rolled had to be put in coin boxes too. I think each box held ten rolls.
Those machines that take coins get a percentage. Most banks don't charge if you have a business account there.
I sold them at auction before I moved south, but I had coin sorters, coin counters, coin rollers, and a bill counter.
I should have kept them, but so I should have kept a lot of things. But it all had to go!
After the auction, I would technically be a homeless person, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The "bank" of which I speak was actually a Savings and Loan company run by local people. I think they did things you might not see in a real bank just because that's how friendly neighbors operated. It did take a few minutes for them to deal with my coins and that probably was a courtesy rather than a business policy. My parents had a savings account there but it was meager. So I think they were just trying to find a polite way to tell me to get lost. LOL

I've seen coin exchange machines in some stores. The last one was in WalMart before we moved down here. Since I never used one of those store machines I don't know if there was a fee or not. Then again, the machine would not be there if it wasn't profitable for somebody.

Speaking of WalMart, I just read (on Twitter) that they are hiring 150,000 new people to deal with the huge demands of this virus pandemic. CVS is adding 50,000 to their staff. I find this all a bit ironic because we supposedly are at full employment. I realize it's all changing rapidly and people are being laid off everywhere so that these new jobs would be most welcome. However, the people are being laid off to keep them apart from each other and thus spread the disease. That's why they are supposed to stay home. Now, WalMart and CVS want to bring them back together again and, presumably, increase the risks. Seems like a lose-lose situation.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Because Debi is 72 years old, Ace hardware said she could stop any time she wanted, so she did on Friday.
They hired a younger college kid to take her place until after the pandemic is over.
Older folks won't recover, while the younger ones who get it are normally able to get over it.

What has several of our local people in an uproar here is, the mayor has made the tobacco shops close while allowing the coffee shops to remain open. How does the Speed Drug Coffee Addiction take precedence over a Smoking Addiction? If Coffee is an Essential Item, then so should be Cigarettes. Taverns have to close, but Liquor Stores can be open for Drive-Thru only though. Odd, since none of the liquor stores have drive-thru windows.

I don't know about what the drug stores where you shop are doing. But Walgreens is only allowing two to four people into the store at a time for shopping in the aisles that is. For the pharmacy they use the drive-up window.
A customer is no where near the cashiers. They place their shopping cart in the check-out lane then go around the outside of the lane to the other end of the check-out area.
One stock boy puts the items in their cart on the check-out counter, the cashier rings everything up, and the credit card terminal is down at the other end. If you are paying by cash, the cashier uses a pole and basket like is used in Catholic Churches for collections. This is held under a blue light, probably ozone? for about 30 seconds before she picks it up with gloves on yet. This incoming money does not go into the cash register but in another register tray beside her, so they are not passing bills or coins back to the customer that came from a customer. Somebody said nobody touches that tray for three hours after the last bill or coins go into it. They probably put it under ozone also.
After the transaction is completed, the bags are put into the cart and pushed down toward the customer to haul their stuff outside.
The cart boy who collects the carts is putting them under the back awning until they can spray them down, then the go into the area where consumers can get to them.
So I would say they are bending over backwards to keep the customers safe.

Food City is operating normally, but Kroger is disinfecting the self-checkouts between each person who uses them.
Their gas station is providing gloves at each pump with a sign to wear a glove to pump gas.
So, some of the places are adding things to help!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Tobacco and liquor are considered harmful while coffee is not. The actual truth in the matter is irrelevant. That's the way it is perceived and that is why tobacco shops are closed and coffee shops are not. The Starbucks shops have closed their seating section but allow walk-ins and drive thru to pick up orders. St Louis County is on lockdown but I live in St Charles which is under a stay at home order. That's not as bad as what's going on in the city.

My trip to Walgreens the other day wasn't very unusual. They had squares of tape on the floor for people in line, and those squares were about 6 feet apart. Dealing with the clerk was normal, but I used a credit card and didn't touch any people. However, and I think they overlooked this, there is a keypad to punch in your phone number that has no protection whatsoever that I saw. They may spray it down when I'm not looking, but bare fingers are punching the keys at the pharmacy counter. There are fewer people in all the stores, but that is a matter of choice and not a store policy, so far.

Schnucks is operating pretty normal with one exception. The shelves are approaching 50% empty. I've not been able to find any paper products but just about everything else is available in small quantities. Couldn't get mayo the other day unless it was the olive oil based kind. They did scrub down the produce bins one day. The next day it all looked normal again. Anything I get from the produce section gets washed in soap and water when I get home anyway. No, I've not done that to the lettuce yet. LOL

I think the blue light is simply UV and that is supposed to kill off any virus remains. I don't know for sure but I did read that people are doing that. It sounds like they are taking way more precautions where you live than they are here in O'Fallon. We don't have as many cases as you do, so that might explain why. I expect it to get worse before it gets better.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, it looks like the system lost my well organized response.
When I hit post, I got the log-in screen, and have not been able to back up to my response to resend it.
Something is amiss with the website, and I saw no where to clear cookies on the log-in screen.
I'll check under my profile and see.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I must apologize for any misbehavior of this website. I'm nearly certain the problem is with the cookies you have stored, but it could be in the actual software too. Then too, you are on a Linux browser, but I can't think of a reason why that would affect logins. Before I start a trouble ticket, I would appreciate if you would try deleting the cookies first. The link is on the main index page in the lower right corner next to the timedate stamp. If my understanding is correct, there are 7 brainformation.com cookies which can be deleted or edited via browser options. Nor sure how Chrome does it, but it's under security in Mozilla browsers. The solution usually is to clear the browser cache and all our cookies. Then restart the browser and login. Let me know if you have any problems doing that.

About all I can add to the previous conversation is that it was dead quiet this morning when I took the dog for her walk. There were absolutely no street noises and the silence was eerie. I can't hear the birds so that if they were making music I missed that due to my ear problems. The kids are all home from school but none appear outside until dinner time. That was often the case during normal times, but now it seems more strange than ever.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I did delete my cookies, ALL of them, which has required me to log into every website fresh.
I also cleared my CPU cache, my browser cache, and even turned my cookie blockers off before coming here today.
I still got the black page to log-in as I expected I would.
I won't know until tomorrow if it helped or not.

Before I hit Submit on my previous post I did a CTRL-A CTRL-C just in case.

We know the grocery store owner and he called my frau this morning to tell her he got in the 10 pound packages of ground beef, so she decided to boogie up there to get it.
She's a germophobe as it is, so is well prepared with wipes, gloves, etc. But although she has a mask in her purse, she won't put it on for fear of being attacked by security guards. We have an order from the Mayor that if we own certain types of masks, we have to call the cops to come take them to the hospitals. I don't see how they can do that, take away from those who prepared ahead of time, to give to those who didn't.
We also have a WWII gas mask, but don't have a viable cylinder for it, hi hi.

As far me, I just stay hidden in my office. I think I'm safe up here!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I am somewhat at a loss for explanations about your login situation. One of the seven cookies we save to your computer has session information. It should retain the fact that that you checked that box to stay logged in, and that retention is done in the cookies. I am hesitant to say it's the site software because that same function works in a few browsers that I use to get into this site, i.e., Waterfox, Chrome, and Opera. The only other suspect would be the browser page cache. Any problems there are generally cleared by pressing F5 which forces a new download from the server. However, both the cache and the cookies must be current for it all to work.

It's a tough call to decide who gets the necessary medical equipment when there is a shortage. I'm sure the mayor's heart is in the right place, but you own the masks and that should give you some priority. There is talk about more critical shortages such as ventilators. I'd not want to be the doctor who has to decide who gets one and who doesn't.

Had to make a trip to Dierberg this morning. The traffic to and from might have been slightly reduced. In the store only one cashier was needed to take care of the check out crowd. Everybody was observing the social distance thing which in reality was kind of nice. Generally I have to fight the crowds to go up and down the aisles, but that's not happening these days. The check out lanes were lined with plexiglass shielding to keep the till tart behind a transparent wall. This was both in front and in back of her. A small cutout was made for her to transfer funds and receipts. I use a credit card so that I never had to actually touch the machinery. On my way out I bypassed the Lotto ticked dispensing machine. They probably hosed it down, but I wasn't taking any chances. My guess is the lotto is losing a lot of players like me.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm trying something else. I am whitelisting your site.
There is a new cookie named Cookie Consent that has appeared.
FWIW: The only cookies I've ever blocked anywhere are called Tracking Cookies.
I never blocked cookies that have to do with log-in, remembering what page I was on, site navigation, or form data.
Only those that send data back to the site I visited after I log off.
I still had the black log-in screen this morning, so now won't know until tomorrow morning or maybe the day after that since I just turned off the Cookie Consent cookie a few minutes ago.
It could have been added with your update of phpBB, or it could have something to do with Google upgrades.
Just odd that this was the only site that made me log-in again, unless it was a site I purposely log out of before leaving.

I know New York was offered 14,000 for a cheap price and turned them down.
Now they want 30,000 provided for free!
All of these companies told to make ventilators, and those who have offered to, are making untested, unapproved, medical equipment, that is untested for safety. That alone is scary!
Plus, I think the majority of cases would be better off if they were not put on a ventilator.
A positive pressure mask seem like it would be more beneficial, and much safer in the long run.
Going by the issues my late wife had with breathing.
Every time they wanted to intubate her, she requested they use a pressure mask first, and that was usually all that was needed to help her breath and hold her lung open. But hospitals always want to intubate first for some reason.

I've not been out of the house myself, the frau has, and a lot of her friends, who report back to her what is going on around town. Not many changes at the auto parts stores or hardware stores, but the grocery stores are ramping up even more than they have before. Customers can no longer go down fruit and produce aisles, you have to ask a clerk behind the clear plastic curtain to bring your produce, they show it to you through the curtain to select which one you want. Then they set it in a plastic tray that moves back and forth at the edge of the curtain. Once used, he wipes the tray down with a cleaner for the next customer. The line at the end of the produce aisles is longer than at the checkout.
Signs all over the store, "Do Not Pick Up a Product and Place it Back on the Shelves, Take it to cart at Checkout counter."
Almost seems like overkill considering we have not been hit hard yet here. Just being safe I suppose.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

FWIW: Just now as I posted, I got a pop-up that says, "This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More. and a Got It! box.
Considering I have the site whitelisted, no cookies blocked now. I'm really surprised to see this. Mainly because I've never seen it before at all, ever. Hmm.
Ghostery is Gray in color, meaning it is not blocking anything on this website.
Maybe it is because I made the change and put you on the whitelist permanently.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well ... a couple things are going on that I never really explained to you.

First of all there are software updates. This has to do with the phpBB software that drives this site. The features and functions that have been introduced in the updates are mostly useless to us. I didn't turn on most of them. The main reason I got concerned about site software was because the hosts for this site complained to me that I'm using an old version of php that is no longer supported. Unfortunately, switching to the latest version meant that I had to upgrade the software too. It was a pain in the butt but I finally got all three Brainformation sites converted and on the latest version of php as well as the latest version phpBB. That made our hosing service smile.

New software means that the styles need to be upgraded too. The styles are feature sensitive. Thus, if we want all the features of the new software to actually be accessible, I need to install styles that can do that. I tried simplifying things this last go round. I took a liking to the dark style, but the default that comes with the phpBB software is the light version. Other than the color there really isn't any difference. I do have one style of an older vintage that you would have to go out of your way to enable. You told me you don't do that, so I kept that style because I like to do some administration with it.

The updated phpBB and updated styles broke the CAPCHA login. That thoroughly teed me off because it was a pretty good CAPCHA that kept the bots out. As I explained elsewhere, I changed the login to questions instead of pattern recognition. This would affect you only if you were registering a new account or exceeded the number of allowed login attempts. You don't have to go through the security if you already have a working account. However, it does imply that the login process was modified. It didn't really change. I just chose to use something else that was previously available.

While dickering around with "crumbs" that Google is obsessed with, I noticed that the cookies name did not reflect reality. The name contained server information. We have switched to a new server since I created that original name, but only the name of the cookie changed. Nothing else was touched. Because I did that name change, that means the site was issuing a newly named cookie. Same information, but in a different cookie. So, unless you cleaned out your cookies, you had two for the same purpose. That's not always a problem, but since you ARE experiencing login problems it became necessary to eliminate ALL the Brainformation cookies and start fresh. The browser cache with the old login page needs to be purged as well. Once the cookies and the cache have been sanitized, normal login functions should resume.

WE HAVE COOKIES is one of those things demanded by the EU. You got to warn people that you dropping cookies on them regardless of what those cookies are doing. We don't have any currently active EU members, but they can view the site if we come up in a search. Soooo, I enabled that message you are now seeing regarding cookies. It was always an option but I never turned it on until the last update of the software.

If putting us on a whitelist fixes your login problem, then that ascertains the problem is on your end. Given that you never had to do that previously, I don't understand why that would fix anything. I blame it on Linux. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had cleared my cookies twice now, and today 44 of them are back after visiting all the websites.
There were like 160 of them before I cleared them all out. They will probably build back up to that again too.
Since I do allow all cookies except tracking cookies. However, for this site, I have all blockers turned off.
I did not get the notice about cookies this morning. Don't know why I did yesterday.

I don't mine having to log-in. I have a few sites I do purposely log out of before I leave the page, but some I leave open like this one. I figure it logs out automatically when I leave anyhow. Just not used to seeing the black screen. It really is dark by the way, hi hi.
Seems like I saw the name Silver as my choice for the viewing screen. It is whatever the original site was when I joined, never changed it or looked at other color options. Could be Silver/Blue I'll look tomorrow when I have to log in again, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The black screen you mention is reminiscent of what Windows 10 does from time to time. I think they went out of their way to avoid showing the infamous BLUE screen of death, but now I've seen green, white, and black. No doubt there is some secret coding to those colors which only some nerd deep within the bowels of Microsoft knows how to decipher. Why it would show up on a Linux box completely befuddles me.

I was under the impression that putting this site on your whitelist fixed your login issues. I realize you are pretty well occupied over there and don't have time to diddle with a finicky website, but you don't have to wait overnight in order to see the effects of any patches and fixes. Simply log out and then immediately try to log in again. If I have time today, and remember to do so, I'll peruse the phpBB so called support website for any hints of the problems you are experiencing. I know that I personally have seen that login problem, but cleaning cache and cookies fixed it.