Smug As A Bug

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Smug As A Bug

Post by yogi »

Yeast is yet another complication when making bread. However, I did figure out how to start a batch every time. The trick is in the temperature of the liquids. The initial mixing should be done at 120F (I think that's correct) and when you add the recipe's other wet ingredients they should be at about the same temperature. Going through that exercise guarantees there will be enough bubbles for the dough to rise.

Just because you have the gas from the yeast does not mean that the dough will be able to retain those air pockets through the whole baking process. This is where I'm currently learning the right techniques. If the dough is not kneaded enough, it will rise but not hold up during the second proofing. Dough that is kneaded excessively will not bake properly even if it does retain it's height. It's all a matter of "stickiness" which seems to be a skill only acquired by experience. Then, too, pizza dough, rye dough, and white bread dough all have different stickiness requirements; that is to say they require different kneading techniques.

I have also found a recipe or two that requires next to no kneading. There is also flour that is self-rising which is supposed to accomplish all that. I figured that I want to learn the basics first before I get into the shortcuts.

Cost is a consideration, and I've not done an analysis yet. However, I know that there is no store bought bread in existence that has the same texture and taste as anything I can make, even with my inexperienced hands. A slice of Pepperidge Farm weighs in at 1oz, more or less. A slice of Dennis's homemade rye (same thickness as store bought) is about twice that weight. Of course we eat bread by the slice and not by weight which is why it seems that the store bought variety is a better deal. I kind of doubt that is true in reality.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Wow, I think you just hit my missing ingredient! Self-rising Flour. I forgot about that kind.
But I'm not getting back into making bread. I get my wheat bread for anywhere from 89 cents to 1.18 per loaf, hi hi.
And Rye from 1.89 to 2.39 per loaf. Arnolds are Pepperidge farm.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm impressed with your bread prices. I'm pretty sure Schnucks sells Pepperidge Farm Rye for close to $3.00. It's packaged as half a loaf too. In my case that works out fine because I only eat two slices a day. By the time I get to the last two slices the bread can be a week old or more. I also keep the bread in the fridge, which I'm told by aficionados I'm crazy for doing that. In theory that seems right. The frost free fridges accomplish their tasks by dehumidifying the air inside them. That, of course, takes the moisture out of the food as well. But then, when I leave it on the counter top it dries out in a matter of days which doesn't seem to happen in the fridge. Back in the old days we had a wooden bread box that could hold two full loaves of home baked bread easily. Bread would never go stale in that box, or so it seemed. I can find bread boxes, but haven't come across a wooden one like we had back home. The fridge works well enough for me and doesn't take up counter space.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I was growing up, we had a bread drawer, made of wood of course, with a galvanized steel lining with a sliding lid.
Bread seemed to last a long time in it too.
When mom and dad moved to Ballwin in 1966, they got a new bread box, it was wood inside, covered with painted tin on the outside. It kept the bread fresh also. The lid opened downward and it was heavy since it had 3/4 inch thick wood on the inside of the cover. On days of very high humidity it would stick shut too, hi hi.
That's one of the few things mom kept when she moved into the seniors apartment complex, and after she passed my sister nabbed it, hi hi.
We have a stainless steel bread box, only the bread is never in it. My wife keeps hers on top of the breadbox, and I keep my loaf on the breakfast counter. All new loaves we keep in the fridge also! Usually in the fresh produce drawer.

In my Creve Coeur house, after I built the new pantry, I had also built size 303 can dispensers and soup can size dispensers.
They were open centered vertical racks you placed the cans in, and when you took one out from the bottom, the other would drop down. It was open centered for easy loading. Worked great but we ended up needing more storage space than they allowed. So out they came, and we could now fit a dozen cans where only 8 would fit before. But I did keep four vertical pigeon holes that held one loaf of bread in each one. Bread did seem to keep longer even though they was no front on the pigeon holes.
yogi

Post by yogi »

One of the good points of our otherwise low quality GE fridge is the temperature control has three levels. The main box is one temperature, the vegetable crisper is another temperature, and the bottom drawer for meats has three settings. Those three are 32, 33, and 34 degrees. They claim meat should be stored at that 32 degree setting, but half the time the lunch meat freezes. It's not like the zero degrees in the freezer, but still crunchy balogna isn't my favorite sandwich. So, I keep it at 33 degrees and everything stays fresh for at least a week. The vegetable drawer does a great job, but lettuce needs special treatment. Just a little bit of moisture on the leaves makes it wilt pretty quick. I wrap the lettuce in a paper towel and place that inside a plastic bag. Lettuce will stay crispy for two weeks that way. It's truly amazing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We had to replace the LG fridge at about 4 years old. All of our LG appliances had bad problems when we got them, some still do. But our new fridge has like yours does, and the produce drawer seals to maintain high humidity inside. Sometimes I think too much since it sweats on the surfaces in that drawer.

Got my new Logitech Thumball wireless mouse. As suspected it is not PS2 compliant, but my KVM makes up for that problem.
I noticed the computer I have Debian 10 on, the mouse control does fix its super fast ball, but my Debian 9 doesn't.
So, I decided to upgrade my Debian 9 to 10, and had some serious problems doing so. Thankfully I made a full-backup I could restore my Debian 9 quick and easy.
I think I should just install a new copy of Debian 10 on another partition, away from my Debian 9 partition.
When i was looking at my partitions, I almost deleted the partition I'm on because it still said Debian 8 hi hi.
Thankfully we have a code to type in terminal that tells us what partition our currently running OS is using.
I checked and sure enough it is on SDA3 Debian 8 Mate partition. So I guess I upgraded from 8 to 9 somewhere along the line instead of doing a clean install. Also found old versions of Ubuntu and other things I tried on this hard drive. I know I can get rid of those since I've never booted into them in years, hi hi.

Don't know if you eat hot dogs or not. But if you wrap them in a paper towel, then wet the paper towel, they come out fairly good in a microwave without tasting like boiled hot dogs which I hate.
Got the frau mad at me for using the cooktop with no skillet to roll a hot dog across the hot burner area, hi hi.
So, I moved to the microwave instead, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

With all the experience I have at mixing and matching operating systems, I can concur with your conclusion: do clean installs instead of upgrades AND keep all the OS's apart from one another as much as possible. I suppose you have a need to keep older versions of Debian up and running. My approach is to do away with the old as soon as the new is available. The exception to that is when I have OS's on different media. I have Ubuntu, for example, on my lappie hard drive, on USB memory, and in a virtual box. It's not so much that I need Ubuntu in all those environments as it is to make use of the different media before I forget how they work. I have to say that I'm not surprised you are having trouble with an old friend, Debian. I know it's the standard for Linux, but it never ever worked well for me. I'll go with your explanation that is by design because they expect you to make your own operating system. If I wanted to do that, I'd be a software engineer today.

Also, as a side note, I read were WINE 6 has recently been released. It's tempting to install it just to see how different it might be from when I tried using it the first time. The problem is that I have no Windows programs I'd want to run on a Linux box. I might find some if I had to. :lol:

The first house we bought had a SubZero fridge in it and a St Charles decor. I loved it but didn't fully appreciate it at the time. I wasn't a kitchen man at the time. When we replace the GE I think I'll make an effort to get another SubZero. Then again, 5 grand is a lot to pay for a mid tier fridge.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I like to keep the old version up and running until I know the new version has the bugs worked out of it, hi hi.
After installing a new version, I have to check back with the old version to see what all I had installed too.

I checked the clean install of Debian I put on a different computer that works great, and found they are using totally different repositories than those I used for Debian 8 and Debian 9 upgrades.
But I think I'll forgo using upgrade and instead install a copy on a new partition. That way I know it has no excess bloat from old packages.

I also learned something new as well, the command dist-upgrade can be used with your existing install and it doesn't install the new version unless you change the names where the repository checks. Also full-upgrade works the same way.
All these years I've only used, update and upgrade, not knowing I could use dist-upgrade to pick up some things upgrade does not. I always thought that was reserved to do a distribution upgrade to a new version. So you learn something new every day, hi hi.

As an aside: Did you know they have SSD drives that fit into the card slots now, if you have enough slots open to use that idea. They are supposed to be much faster than a SATA SSD too.

I'm like you, nothing Windows related do I have reason to run on my computer. But trying to get the frau off of her old windows machine and onto Linux will need a functional way to run her Windows games.

When I did my house in Creve Coeur, and moved the kitchen to a new room, what used to be the dining room.
I went with all Thermador, which turned out to be a mistake. Their dishwasher was horrible, so I bought a commercial Hobart Dishwasher like they have at many Waffle Houses. It worked great! I replaced the Char-Broiler with a commercial Dacor brand which they only made for like two years, then got out of commercial grade for home use.
I don't remember the brand of the fridge I had in Creve Coeur other than it was really expensive, but it held up just fine.

Before I bought this house from Debi's mom, there fridge went out, and after owning several rentals in years past, I bought a Roper brand side by side fridge for them. I have it in the garage and it is still working some 15 years later just fine. I have a tiny Emerson cube fridge, smaller than a dorm fridge, I used for soda in my office, that thing is now 40 years old and still working. I have a second Emerson dorm fridge up here outside this office for my soda now and it is 20 years old. The cube is in my crawlspace where I worked on plants, still plugged in and running. I checked it about a month ago, so I could store some of my inhalation medications in it. If I can find someone to help me bring it up to my office, I will move it up here, and have a place for it near the man-door where there is a spare plug not used.

I did have to replace my office AC unit last year, or was it the year before. The old one ran for 18 years, but I really doubt this one will last very long. 34 degrees outside and it still kicks on due to the heat at that end of the room from the computers. I have it set to 86 degrees, and the thermometers show it is 78 over there, so I think this unit cycles on once every 15 minutes for 2 to 3 minutes for some reason. The book probably tells me that, but I don't remember. Even so it is good to have the air in here stirred up every so often anyhow, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My need to upgrade software so often is rooted in the time I spent in IT at Motorola. Most of the time upgrades are improvements to processes in the old version, but there also were a lot of security issues that upgrades attempted to fix. Vulnerabilities are discovered on a daily basis and there is only one way to keep up with the game, upgrade. New functionality is also added at upgrade time, and those things generally work well enough at the first stable release. Subsequent updates take care of any oversights. Linux has given me problems with graphic cards and EFI booting, and those problems are quite serious. Until recently those problems still existed even after several upgrades of the OS version. Since I don't use Linux for any serious work the fact that they shot themselves in the foot didn't affect my work flow here.

I'm slightly surprised that dist-upgrade is a new term for you. Back in my neophyte days when our long lost buddy Glenn was my mentor, he made me aware of that method. An upgrade will do just that for anything existing on your system, but anything new can't be upgraded. Makes sense when you think about it. Thus, when new functionality is added to an existing stable release, a dist-upgrade is necessary in order to add what you don't already have. If you are upping the version of the OS, then the repositories change in order to keep the two versions separate. As you must know the distribution iso does not have all the upgrades on it unless you install it on day one of its release. Knowing this, I always run a dist-upgrade after I do an install from a new .iso image. That's the only way to get everything in existence in the repository you are dealing with. And, so it seems, not all repositories contain all the upgrades/updates.

Well it's not that complicated in Windows in spite of the horror stories you might have heard about updates.

I've made some efforts in the past to find a "lite" version of Linux I can use as a workhorse in a VirtualBox environment. I keep the memory usage down to a minimum when I use VB so that all the crap you normally get in a standard distribution of Linux is wasting space. I found a few that are interesting and have evaluated them successfully. But then if you do a dist-upgrade on one of these minimum systems (based on Debian/Ubuntu) the process puts all the crap back in that the developer stripped out to make it a lite version. That happens because the Debian/Ubuntu repositories have all the software for the distribution in question and they assume you know what you want and don't want. I've lost a couple Linux OS's because of this due to running out of memory.

The latest, actually pretty old now, memory technology is called NVMe. My ASUS mobo has an M.1 module for this memory but they are up to an M.2 module these days. Basically this memory runs on the PCI bus and is used to boot into the main OS. As you recall there are many types of data buses on a mobo, IDE and SATA being two examples that are not PCIe. PCIe is the fastest bus to the CPU and thus the quickest way to handle data transfers. That's why your GPU's run off this bus using several channels in fact. It would be no exaggeration to say that if you installed Linux on an NVMe memory card running off the PCIe bus, you could probably boot into the system faster than you can say Linux three times out loud. It is, of course, an SSD and suffers from the same flaws as all SSD memory does. However, keeping your OS on the NVMe card and your data and other programs elsewhere is a strategy that will allow the card to last longer than you or I can wait for it to fail. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have used dist-upgrade after I did an update and upgrade, but only at times when I upgraded to a newer version.
I would change the name in the repository to a new version name, like Jessie to Stretch, then do update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade. But then after that I never did dist-upgrade or full-upgrade.
But now I know what each one does and why. Upgrade does not remove and replace packages, in only installs upgrades to existing packages without removing anything. Basically it only overwrites existing package versions.
But dist-upgrade will remove old packages, add new packages if they are available and upgrade existing packages.
I know, as long as I've been using GNU/Linux, I should have known this, but I didn't.

I think you just explained how my Lubuntu became Ubuntu, hi hi.

I'm discovering WebGL has many more problems than Flash Player ever did!
It will start up and run just fine, than after a bit a white screen.
Hit reload and you get an error message, WebGL Installed but Not Supported.
The only way to get it going again is to completely close the browser and reopen it, then work your way back to your program running on the browser. This problem has been going on with WebGL now for many years!

Nearly every business is moving to the small-form-factor computers. Most of them are mounted on the backside of the monitors. They have just enough guts to do what the business needs for them to do, but not much more.
I'm thinking they are being used more like workstations, and the real computer is hidden in the back room somewhere.
But my doc says NO, they no longer have a server at all in his building, but they are on-line with the home office.
That is all he knows about how it works now, hi hi. He still has his desktop computer system in his office though.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have used dist-upgrade after I did an update and upgrade, but only at times when I upgraded to a newer version.
I would change the name in the repository to a new version name, like Jessie to Stretch, then do update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade. But then after that I never did dist-upgrade or full-upgrade.
But now I know what each one does and why. Upgrade does not remove and replace packages, in only installs upgrades to existing packages without removing anything. Basically it only overwrites existing package versions.
But dist-upgrade will remove old packages, add new packages if they are available and upgrade existing packages.
I know, as long as I've been using GNU/Linux, I should have known this, but I didn't.

I think you just explained how my Lubuntu became Ubuntu, hi hi.

I'm discovering WebGL has many more problems than Flash Player ever did!
It will start up and run just fine, than after a bit a white screen.
Hit reload and you get an error message, WebGL Installed but Not Supported.
The only way to get it going again is to completely close the browser and reopen it, then work your way back to your program running on the browser. This problem has been going on with WebGL now for many years!

Nearly every business is moving to the small-form-factor computers. Most of them are mounted on the backside of the monitors. They have just enough guts to do what the business needs for them to do, but not much more.
I'm thinking they are being used more like workstations, and the real computer is hidden in the back room somewhere.
But my doc says NO, they no longer have a server at all in his building, but they are on-line with the home office.
That is all he knows about how it works now, hi hi. He still has his desktop computer system in his office though.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I see that your last reply was posted twice. While that is much better than losing your reply entirely for no apparent reason, it might not be what you were intending to do. LOL I'd be glad to remove one of the two identical replies at your request.

When you give it some thought there is no need for your doctor's office to be capable of doing all the things on their computers that you can do at home. They have a specific need and most likely some very specific software to satisfy the needs. Since they aren't playing World of Warcraft they don't need fancy graphics or the cooling system to prevent them from melting down. Running that display doesn't take a lot of power either. I don't know what kind of network they have in a doctor's office, but it best be one that is secure. While they don't have a server on the premises, it would be a surprise to me if they were not connected to a server online somewhere; probably located at the associated hospital. I don't know if you can classify it as a workstation, but it certainly sounds like a dedicated computer system.

I play an online game that has used the Flash Player in the past to play music tracks that can be purchased. These people are not known for their expertise at maintaining their own software, and to be honest it would be called buggy when complimenting it. The problem is that it's addictive; something like FarmTown. LOL Anyway, I figured they would either close up shop on January 1st or come up with some new software. Thus, late in December I purged everything Macromedia and Adobe Flash Player from my Windows 7 machine. Even went down to the registry level to clean that up. Come January 2nd I noted that the music is still playing. It seemed odd because there was no software updates to account for missing Flash Player routines. Then, just yesterday, I was searching my computer for something and discovered some Macromedia/Flash Player directories still in existence. It turns out they ave being used by this game site. Apparently they did not abandon Flash Player and are running deprecated software. Nobody said they can't do that, but it does say a lot about how they view security on their site.

I've not noted any references to WebGL on my system, but I've also not looked for it. Aside from the one I mentioned above, I normally don't play Flash based games. I'm guessing there will be a transition period before some standard replacement comes along. Until then people will be trying to cope with the loss of the Adobe resource. I almost, but not quite, feel sorry for all those folks who relied on Flash to make a living. They knew for many many years how bad the security was, but that didn't stop them from making more games with tainted coding. It will be interesting to see what floats to the top now that Flash is history.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm. It did? I only sent it once, and only saw it once on the feed before I moved on.
Well, I didn't scroll back to see for sure, I do wonder, the reason I replaced my old mouse is because it was double clicking. I sure hope this new one isn't doing that.

Well, I do know that when I get ready to set up my next appointment before checking out, they have to bring up the appointment schedule first, and sometimes this takes longer than if it was on an in-house server. It used to be instant when they clicked on that, now it is sometimes 5 to 20 seconds. And then when they go to print out the copy for me, they have to wait for it to get sent to their printer, and that used to be instant also.
So they are probably on-line with the main computer somewhere that is handling everything.

Well Zynga, who had hundreds of horrible games on Farcebook, did shut down completely, and we are glad to see them go.
Farm Town is now running on HTML5 Canvas using WebGL and JavaScript to get working again. They still have a long way to go before all the features are back up and running again, but at least all the basics are up an running now.
The browsers are what is giving everyone a problem though.
The game can be working just fine, then suddenly the screen goes white. You hit Reload and the game will not start again, but you get a message saying WebGL is Supported, but is Disabled ERROR.
If you check Chrome it says it is working and in accelerated mode on this computer, on another it says it is working, in subdued accelerated mode.
The only way to get back into the game is to completely close the browser and relaunch it. Then everything works again for about an hour, then suddenly the browser marks WebGL as Disabled again, hi hi.
Currently we get a Log File that appears at the bottom of the page, it is always shows everything working right.
About the only web browser that is not doing this right now is Opera, according to the reports on the help forums.
Windows EDGE I think it is called is having the most problems, so the developers are saying use Chrome or Firefox, as both of those companies are also tracking to see what may be causing the problem. It is said it started with their most recent upgrade.
I'll bet next they will say WebGL has a security problem like they did with Flash, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know about your mouse clicking twice, but I do know you must wait at least 15 seconds before you can make a second post. That's a setting in the admin control panel designed to stop flooding by bots. Even if you did hit the [Submit] button twice, the forum software would issue an error message saying you need to wait before that second reply can be posted.

That delay you note at the doctor's office on their computers is very similar to what happens when a lot of clients are hooked up to the same server. There are ways to prevent that, or minimize it, but that involves spending money on improving the network.

Zynga and Farcebook were in bed together for a good number of years. I read that Farcebook was going to write its own code after Zynga went to it's grave, but I've not seen any follow-ups to that line of thought. Edge and Chrome use the same engine, and I'm pretty sure FireFox does too. Opera has always been the odd man out and I don't know if they switched to chromium or not. I used to use Opera for special purposes but then something went wrong with their browser and I got pissed. I switched to the CCleaner Browser and never regretted it. They are much more secure, cleaner and infinitely more reliable than what I was seeing in Opera. To be fair I will say I was using the Beta version of Opera, but the issues I had were not with experimental features. I don't use FIreFox per se. I use a stripped down version called WaterFox which is all Mozilla. It's my go to browser and might be worth a try. They do have a Linux version of it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, it is possible in my OLDE AGE that I hit submit and it didn't go, or didn't appear to go, so I hit it again.
But when I do that, I usually get the message I can't send a blank post.
So I don't know what happened.

Chromium is the base for a few web browsers.
There was a period of time, on Debian, where you had to use their generic version of each.
Like IceWeasel, IceFox, etc. forget all the names they used for different things.
But I never had any problems with them.
I use Chrome as my browser because of a couple of features I use every day, that are not on Firefox.
But then for a long time I would use Firefox for a couple of tasks I did, because it was simple to copy what I needed from their history file of links. Hard to do on Chrome and time consuming. However, I no longer do that.
I keep Firefox in order to download Google Chrome, hi hi.

Yes Farcebook is who financed Zynga, and who knows what all else, hi hi.
I played a lot of Zynga games at first, even their FarmVille and several others.
Every game made by Zynga used the same Engine, so the glitches always happened about the same place in the game. And some of those were quite serious. They tried a work around on FarmVille which only made it worse each time they messed with it. It finally got to the point I deleted all Zynga games, and came up with a Motto: If it says Zynga on the Label, it don't come down my Cable!

I may have misunderstood something I read a few months ago. But I think it started with Ubuntu adding an encrypted folder that is locked to the user, even if they are Root. Its purpose is to give game developers and other programmers a place where they can put an activation key for their games or programs so you do have pay the piper to use them beyond the trial period.
Speaking of which. I knew a guy who was so fed up with not being able to use the trial of something before he had to buy it, because he was on the road on-call, and it seemed every time he wanted to try a program with a 30 day trial or whatever, he got called on the road.
He decided to add a Virtual Machine to his computer, and installed the same copy of Windows several times. He would use the copy in VM to try out something. He would just delete the entire VM file and reload the VM file with the OS again, and try it over until he decided it was worth buying.
Apparently, if you install an OS in a VM, it is only a file you can copy to another VM folder.
At least that is the way he made it sound. You do have to Install from the CD first, but once installed, after that it is only a file you can move around from VM folder to VM folder and it works without a reinstall of the OS.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Old age is starting to tick me off. I used to be able to type as fast as I can think. It's not that I was typing rapidly as much as I was thinking slowly. LOL I can still hit the keys pretty quick but the finger joints with arthritis don't always go to the right key. I end up making a lot of typos and needing to retype words frequently. I've become pretty good at proof reading, but not perfect. A lot of typos still manage to slip into my writing.

OMG - I recall using IceWeasel many years ago. It might have been in a Debian distribution, but I am thinking it was somewhere else. Debian never did interest me until I met you. Now I have many more reasons not to be interested in it. LOL I have a bunch of browsers that I use for various dedicated purposes. I think it's something like you do with tabs in Chrome, but I use a separate browser instead. I don't need the browser to load pages quickly as you do, but they come in handy when I am doing some multitasking. Chrome is used only for Google products because that is what it was designed for. I never have to download it unless I'm rebuilding my OS, and that is rare. Chrome updates itself in the background and is always current.

Creating a virtual machine is no different than installing an OS onto a hard drive, or memory stick. The difference is that the VM is not a piece of hardware per se. It's a data file that the Virtual Box program reads. That data file with the OS of interest inside it is modular in the sense that Virtual Box will run perfectly well with or without it. Plus Virtual Box can run any VM made using its software. Thus, if I made a virtual machine and sent it to you, you should be able to run it without incident. Since just about all I do on VM's is Linux there is no license issue. However, when creating a VM for Windows you need to have a license for that machine and any others you might create virtually. Certain things can be done without the activation, but that only lasts so long until Microsoft figures out what you are doing.

The concept of hiding a folder for developers of Linux is an interesting one. The secure boot into EFI does something similar but they do it in the firmware and not on any storage media that can be moved or reverse engineered. The secure boot key is hidden in the ESP partition. Doing that is no big trick, by they way, and it does keep a few people away from the security measures. However, some malicious players have figured out how to modify that ESP partition so that malware can now be stored in the EFI firmware and/or in the ESP partition. That means you can replace the hard drive that has been infected and the malware will still be there in the firmware. Lovely, eh?
Last edited by yogi on 20 Jan 2021, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

How about we not talk about the arthritis in our hands and fingers. I try not to think about it, just grit my teeth to keep from screaming, hi hi.

I used IceDove for e-mail, but it was still Thunderbird under a different name.
I do miss how well Eudora used to work. Thunderbird isn't exactly the same, but close.
New changes to Thunderbird, when you archive, it no longer sorts by year and month, only year. I guess that is OK because a search of the archives brings up what I'm looking for fairly fast.

I haven't installed Windows XP in along time, but I did have the activation code for it I could enter by hand and not get one from Mickey$oft. Couldn't' do that with any Windows OS beyond that though.

It's been years since I've tried using a VM, and I think the main reason I had problems was my machines only had 2 to 4 megs of memory in them.

I thought UEFI was supposed to make computers safer? Sounds like that is not the case!
In Linux, when you install program, not all of its components are in the users home directory, some of them go into the root directory. You know ahead of time if an install is going to do this because you have to give the install root access.
But some of the new games don't need root access, because they write an encrypted file either in .lib or .config
Or in some cases one that is not encrypted but written in some programming language you can't read.
I have a program I use every day, that saves its user settings data in an .amc file.
I've not found any program that can read that file or display it in a readable format.
I wish I did, because you cannot easily edit what you did. You can delete lines, and add lines, but added lines always are appended to the end of the file. So if you need the program to run in a specific order, you have rewrite the entire thing, which can take hours. Perhaps there is a program to read and edit .amc files, but if so, it is probably above my head anyhow, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Are you sure your configuration is buried inside a .amc file? I looked it up and that doesn't seem like the kind of file you would have on any of your devices. It's for processing video on mobile devices: https://fileinfo.com/extension/amc Reading it would probably require something like a compiler and an understanding of machine code. Good luck with that.

EFI is way more secure than the old MBR system. The methods used to insure security are the ones the bad actors are using to protect their infectious software. That's why this new ability of malware is a big deal. It takes advantage of the built in security. In the post there was no easy way to break into the partition and/or firmware, but now some state actors found out how to do it. Too bad for us guys wearing the white hats. And, by the way, the security codes buried into EFI by Microsoft and Linux are not being compromised. They are simply being superseded by the malware.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

A company name Murguu names their data storage file with an .amc suffix.
I've tried changing it to text, and/or removing the suffix completely to see if I had a program to read it. I don't.
Their actual configuration file, stored in .config is plain English and changeable using any text browser.
Apparently that don't work for a data file that must read each line then when it gets to the end, either stop or start over again, depending on other setting you make in their control panel.
It is the only auto-clicker program I know of that lets you do things most don't allow you to do.
Such as move the mouse point without clicking, because some programs do not recognize mouse clicks at random places on the screen so the tools that program uses do not function because they don't recognize the new mouse location unless you physically move the pointer. And this program will do just that. Move the pointer first, wait a preset time, then click and move the mouse to the next location, wait, then click.

Why is this important to me. I use it on Farm Town. I have 40 separate farms, as do many of the players.
You have to Fish the lakes, Harvest the Trees, Chop other Trees, and Harvest Flowers.
These can be placed anywhere on your farm.
On the Flash Player version of the game, Flash recognized a click anywhere on the screen, but the HTML5 WebGL version does not, which is why you need to make use of the Move command.
The size of the tool I use means I have to, on a 24x24 farm, move the mouse, then click, 5 different times per row, and do 5 rows for each farm of that size. That's like 50 operations per each farm, done 4 times on each farm.
If I have 8 farmers farms of 40 farms each, and you had to manually move and click 200 times on each farm, you'll get carpal tunnel syndrome real fast, hi hi. Plus it would take hours to do.
This is why we use auto-clickers!

The file that holds these instructions are the .amc files I was talking about.
Not being able to edit them means if you make a mistake programming your mouse.
You have to go back and start all over again in a new file.
Although I have learned a couple of tricks now so I don't have to completely rewrite the entire file.
I can add a new line and move it up on the existing file to where it needs to be.
But that in itself can be confusing to do, and sometimes overwrites the line you moved it to, rather than move that line and all below it down. So in some cases, it's just easier to rewrite the entire file.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Are you sure you are having fun playing Farm Town :question:

I know you will say, yes, it is entertaining, But you seem to be going through a lot of trouble for that kind of entertainment. I can't criticize you because I like banging my head against the wall every time Linux decides to hiccup. I can only imagine the .amc file is a binary instruction set that may or may not be proprietary. About the only way you are going to edit such a thing is to get in touch with the owner of the software and see if they can provide you with an editor. I doubt that they would if it's proprietary, but you never know. Config files are just values for variables used by the program. What you are talking about seems to be actual code that is executed and not just a variable assignment. That's why I suggested you might need a compiler of some kind to edit it.