Magnetic Core Memory

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Magnetic Core Memory

Post by yogi »

I don't recall you previously telling me about that group dinner event, but that does not mean you did not tell me. When we lived in our first house it was in a suburb adjacent to the Chicago city limits. It also was one block away from a major shopping mall, which is where our house was originally built. They moved it when they decided to make the mall. Because the mall brought all kinds of heavy shopping traffic there were all sorts of ethnic restaurants in the immediate area. One Polish restaurant was located very close to a cemetery. A lot of the funerals ended up going to that restaurant after the services, but they had a lot of normal business as well. There was indeed a Polish food menu that was out of this world. Most people didn't order from there, however. They also had what was called a family style dinner that was sold for a flat price per plate. They did exactly what you described in your experience, except we were not told to wash our hands. The food came out in bowls and serving platters and it was up to us to fill our own plates with whatever we wanted. Amazingly there never was much left over. You could order a refill of anything without increasing the price per plate. The only thing you had to pay for separately was any alcoholic drink. Actually I think that's how they made most of their profit. Those Polish people REALLY know how to drink. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

One thing unique about when I first moved down here to TN, most of the counties were Dry Counties.
Which of course kept out all the major restaurant chains who rely on booze to make money.
I think this is one reason the food down here was so good, at least up until the restaurants could server their booze.
Knox county had its share of taverns and liquor stores, but even so, not many restaurants served hard liquor, but almost all of them had a splendid wine selection. I don't drink so avoid many of those places myself. I do think the quality of the food is better at places that don't have beer or hard liquor.

We have quite a few Dinner/Theater places here that serve bowls of food to a filled table. But you have to be done eating by a certain time, because they haul all the dishes away, and then serve drinks for during the shows.
We had a few around St. Louis County, and surrounding counties that I frequented often. Most often was The Barn Dinner Theater, because they had the most awesome shows. Then there was another one, can't remember the name anymore, but they had traveling shows, so every month was a different show and different performers.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm not all that surprised that Tennessee is basically dry country. I am wondering, however, why the places that don't serve alcoholic beverages would have better food. It is very difficult to find a restaurant of any size down here that does not offer some sort of alcoholic beverage. Only the fast food places don't, but every other place I've been to at least serves wine and beer. Even Starbucks has experimented with wine. I don't know how that turned out, but then they are not what I would call a restaurant. It's hard enough to think of them as a coffee shop. All I can add to that thought is that I've been to some very classy eateries and dining rooms which served gourmet meals and any alcohol you can think of. Perhaps some place less than gourmet class would be different.

That shopping mall I mentioned in my last reply had a dinner theater as it's main attraction. I only went there once to celebrate one of mom's birthdays. Her favorite performer. Bpbby Vinton, was there at the time and we saw a great show. I don't recall much about the dinner. LOL My understanding is that when in Missouri, Branson is the place to go for entertainment. This will be our eighth summer in O'Fallon and we have not gone to Branson even once. I think I can enjoy the entertainment there, but my wife of many years has an aversion to country music. Consequently, Branson has never entertained us. Oddly enough her sister who lives in a suburb of Chicago has a summer home down there. They come to visit us when they tow their boat down there in spring and bring it home again in the fall. I've heard many good comments about the shows and the food you can find in Branson. I'm confident they all serve alcohol as well.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The restaurant business is a very hard business to be in. People like things a certain way, and of a high quality too. But the too, not all people have the same tastes, so one type of restaurant cannot cater to all patrons.
Super fancy restaurants all mishegahs up their foods, sometimes to the point it looks like a garbage heap, hi hi.

But anyplace who relies on booze to be their major profit item, does not put much quality into the foods they server. Their business is not quality food, it's selling overpriced drinks.

You can often get better food at a Tavern who sells plate lunches and dinner plates, and who advertise themselves as a Tavern, than you can at a Bar who advertises they are a Restaurant. I learned that from experience.
FWIW, as I was typing the word experience, I got knocked back to the Chats Page, a surprise for sure. It happened when I was typing the letters ie right before the n. And no I did not accidentally hit any other keys. Weird very weird!

All that being said, I have eaten at some mighty nice places with great food, and they did serve hard liquor, BUT, the BAR was NOT the focal point of the establishment, and most didn't even have a bar.

I don't much care for country music either. But Branson does have a little bit of everything out there.

Folks always wondered why I toured the Wineries, and went to Herman, MO so often, especially when I don't drink wine or beer at all. I loved going to Octoberfest at Herman, and always had a great time.

The name of the place I couldn't think of yesterday was The Royale Dump. They had their own place, then started doing traveling shows. The setting was ancient times, which was great.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Good thing I copied this, I had to log back in to post it.
At least I didn't lose it this time!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know what's going on over there in Knoxville, but I can't duplicate the problems you are having with unintentional page navigation. All I can imagine is the problem originates from that you are using a different OS and a different browser than I am. I've always suspected Debian because of all the weird problems it cased me in the past. I now have a few Debian derivations on USB memory and they seem to work much better than they did a few years ago. However, I don't use any of those sticks to participate in Brainformation. I know I tried to install pure Debian one time just to duplicate your setup, but never could get it to install with my nVidia hardware onboard. Perhaps I can try again in 2023. Maybe things have changed in Linux-land.

Then, too, the underlying phpBB software for this website is about four generations behind the times. Since it's basically only you and I that use this place I've not been motivated to update much. Most of the time when I do update I need to get the hosting service involved and that is always a hassle. They take no responsibility for anything unless I have documented proof. That proof isn't always easy to find, and I know it's hard to believe, but sometimes I screw up above and beyond what the server people do. In any case, I'm very glad you found a way to defeat the random page hopping experience. I understand how inconvenient that must be to constantly save a copy, but we do have a [save draft] function built in. I don't use it either and have lost a post or two of my own.

You make a good observation about restaurant focus. There are places that are designed to sell booze for profit. Usually the go under the general classification of sports bar. Most of those specialize in high priced drinks, but they also have food. IN fact some of the best burgers I've ever tasted were at a sports bar. When we first moved down here we did some exploring and found a pub in St Charles. I've been to what Chicago calls a pub, but they have the real thing down here. I didn't drink any alcohol in the pub, but the food was excellent. The bar was a square in the center of the room and all along the outer walls were tables for eating. They also had a banquet room. That pub was MY kind of place. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I've not had any trouble with Debian, and have been using it for many years now.
I do know for certain this time I did not hit any other key accidentally.

I sometimes forget to hit Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C before I post, and I sometimes do it now after I finish a long paragraph.
Of course, nothing ever goes wrong when I have a saved copy, hi hi.

The Village Bar sold a burger they called Better Burger! By law they could not call it a Hamburger, hi hi.
It had other ingredients in the high quality hamburger meat, such as pre-browned onions, just slightly carmelized, and diced but roasted green peppers, and they didn't disclose the other seasonings they put into it. But I think it was a touch of Yoshida steak sauce, since I used different Yoshida liquid seasonings, mainly their teriyaki blend. I don't necessarily like teriyaki, but 1/8th tsp added to a pound of ground beef brings out the flavor of the meat, without the teriyaki taste.

My brother sent me 4 Lions Choice roast beef sandwiches by FedEx, the dumb shit.
FedEx dumped it outside in the rain on my front steps where I didn't see it, until I got the e-mail asking how I liked them.
At least he put them in a plastic zip lock bag along with their BBQ sauce packets, so although the box was saturated, the sandwiches reheated OK and tasted great. He ordered them rare, since he know I would have to nuke them, hi hi.

FWIW: The prices at all the restaurants around here have nearly doubled in the past year, or more. Even the fast-food places.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm thinking seriously about upgrading the software for this site. It's not a good idea to get too far behind because some of the upgrades modify the database beyond recognition. I don't do backups of the database nearly as often as I used to do them and we could lose the entire site if there is corruption during the software upgrade. Like Linux, I do not actually upgrade. I do a clean install and then restore the old database to the new software. The times I just went with the upgrade were catastrophes and I don't need no more catastrophes than absolutely necessary at my age. I always backup the database prior to touching the software, but there frequently is some loss of data. You would think by now that I could do it blindfolded. I suppose it would do no major harm if we lost this site all together and simply started over from scratch. I would miss all the good stories we have told each other, not to mention the priceless helpful hints you have offered. I'm fairly certain I could restore an old database to a new version of phpBB, and I am also certain there would be some data loss. But until I decide to turn this place into an archive, I want to maintain the ability to post lively conversations.

I discovered a disaster in the making with my domain registrations. I own two domains, this one and one I don't mention much. That second one is up for renewal on the 1st of March and they claim it will be done automatically. I don't want to renew it so I went to the registration site and tried to stop the auto renewals. All went swell until the very end where they wanted to verify my e-mail address to be sure it was me. The e-mail address of record is with earthlink, and as mentioned elsewhere I dropped them when we moved to Missouri. In fact I tried to update that record shortly after we moved down here but could not. The website is flawed. Thus I called tech support and explained the problem. I can't use that old email address anymore because the account does not exist anymore. Thus I cannot verify my identity. They changed it on their end and when I looked it over it was all fine. However, what they changed was my profile information. That's not the same as my domain ownership information. It's a separate webpage for the domain information. So ... now I can't stop the renewal because I can't verify my identity via the obsolete e-mail.

The scary part is that this Brainformation domain is registered with the same people and has the same bogus information on record. I will be renewing this domain in about a year so that I have that long to resolve the problem. There is no way to contact the domain registrar via the website. That registrar company is owned by the people who host this website, but it is a separate company and trouble tickets for each do not mix. My only recourse is to call them, which I did seven years ago. They didn't fix it then so that I don't expect them to be able to fix their broken website now. It's the same fricken webpage in fact. Fortunately, I believe I will have the last laugh. Part of the record for that domain is my credit card information, which like my e-mail address on there is now obsolete. They won't be paid for any charges they apply to that credit card. Thus they will end the lease which is what I wanted to do in the first place. All that is fine and dandy as far as I'm concerned. However, it would be nice if the record was correct for Brainfomation dot com.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had much of the same problem, except in my case, the original host provider wanted to charge me like 135 bucks to give me my domain name back. I got it through them for cheaper than the normal cost of a domain name, only to find out at the end, they owned the domain name they sold to me.
Turns out a lot of places do that, offer you a low cost domain name, but it is registered to them, not you, so you can't move to a new host with it.

And then when Comcast decided to end personal web pages, I was out shopping for a new host once again.