Home Page Remix

Announcements of general interest regarding this web site.
Questions and Answers about this web site.
Suggestions from members
forumadmin
Site Admin

Home Page Remix

Post by forumadmin » 11 Mar 2015, 08:53

I've been getting complaints from Google about our home page. They claimed it wasn't viewable on smart phones and some mobile devices. I agreed with them and made a few modifications to the old design. If you have a smart phone, won't you please look at our home page and let us know how it looks to you. You can do the same on your tablet. Please mention in your comments what kind of phone or tablet you are using. I think we are OK with laptops and desktops, but of course I'd want to know about any problems there too.

HAVE A LOOK: http://brainformation.com/

pilvikki

Re: Home Page Remix

Post by pilvikki » 12 Mar 2015, 19:00

Ok, i'm using samsung galaxy something and the text is running over r the edges. Hard to see what I'm doing.

Going back to lki.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 12 Mar 2015, 19:08

reading posts is great, but typing them in a pain as the window exceeds the screen size by about 100%. took a while to find the "submit" button.

let's see, I have an android 4.2.2, Samsung galaxy, older model (new one got stolen, bought an older one)... model number GT-19060

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 12 Mar 2015, 19:09

oh, one more thing, when I logged in, I somehow hit the "mark all posts read". and so it did. it's in the RH bottom corner.

forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin » 12 Mar 2015, 19:30

Thanks for the feedback. I know there is a problem using the forums because we do not (yet) have the mobile style here that we had on nBF. For the time being I'm only interested in how our home page looks and feels, http://brainformation.com/ Once I get that perfected there should be some fixes available for the forums.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 13 Mar 2015, 08:22

the home page is :thumbu:

Icey

Post by Icey » 13 Mar 2015, 20:33

The home page's fine - and the time's spot on! :lol:

yogi

Post by yogi » 14 Mar 2015, 06:55

Icey wrote:The home page's fine - and the time's spot on! :lol:
What kind of mobile device are you using to view the home page?

Icey

Post by Icey » 14 Mar 2015, 13:33

I'm not, Yogi. I clicked on the above link to have a look.

My poor mobile struggles to send texts! : )

yogi

Post by yogi » 14 Mar 2015, 15:42

Thank you for you input, but I was specifically interested in mobile devices because that is what Google was complaining about.

Icey

Post by Icey » 14 Mar 2015, 16:22

Sorry. Just saying it looks OK though.

yogi

Post by yogi » 14 Mar 2015, 17:02

I appreciate all the comments. Thank you.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 15 Mar 2015, 10:43

I probably shouldn't ask, but what business is it of Google whether or not your website works on their mobile devices?

Starting to sound like the old days when we had to write our websites one way for IE, and another more sensible way for everybody else. I never kowtowed to IE, and I doubt I would kowtow to Google either.

yogi

Post by yogi » 15 Mar 2015, 18:41

The truth is Google doesn't care how our homepage is produced. They do care about providing relevant search results. A test is run periodically on all web sites to be certain pages can be served properly on all computer devices. If a site is not designed specifically to handle small screen devices, then Google puts a note in their search results stating that fact. You can still view the site that will not display properly on your smart phone, but Google doesn't consider that a relevant search result. So if we don't fix the problem, they will simply add a note to our home page record stating it is not viewable properly on mobile devices. Our ranking would drop accordingly.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 16 Mar 2015, 12:24

Hmm, I've done nothing special on either of my websites, they are readable on a cell phone, if you want to call 2 point type readable hi hi...
I suppose next Google will want websites properly served on wristwatch size computers.
Then a down to a dot on your eyeglasses.
What next? Mind Meld websites directly to the brain.

yogi

Post by yogi » 16 Mar 2015, 15:13

Turn the perspective around for a minute. What if you were searching for a web site that rendered perfectly on a desktop or laptop but could not be viewed properly on a wearable computer. Would you want to know that kind of thing before you went to the web site? Google thinks its customers want to know.

In our case Google is going to do something (attach a note about viewability) to our record in their database. While I don't like that idea, they are telling me in advance and giving me the option to correct things. I have taken the stand that you do with your web pages. But now I choose to go for all the visibility I can get. That may not be important to many webmasters, but I thought it was something constructive I can do for our own self-serving purposes.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 17 Mar 2015, 12:04

You had piqued my curiosity Yogi.
I had the frau bring up both of my websites on her Schmarz-Fone.
Most of the pages rendered OK, but so small you couldn't see them, unless you zoomed in on the part you wanted to read.
I have a few pages where PDF files are displayed. My pages provide a pdf reader built-in, but on her phone the pages were blank with an Install Reader logo appearing.
But generally, I would say my pages looked like I expected they would on a little 2-1/2 inch by 3-1/4 inch screen. TINY.

She normally uses her Kindle Fire for web surfing, and on it, all of my pages look exactly like they do on a monitor. She can turn the unit vertically or horizontally, just like she can with her cell phone, and when viewed horizontally, even the fine text is readable.

I no longer have any html pages up anywhere, all of mine are currently XHTML/CSS STRICT, and pass the W3C tests as perfect. As you know XHTML does not allow any errors in your code, whereas the new HTML5 allows tons of errors, which can only lead to sloppier programming of web sites. XHTML Transitional also allows for many errors to pass.
Although I'm not a programmer, I've been commended many times by programmers for using STRICT on all of pages.

TTUL
Gary

yogi

Post by yogi » 17 Mar 2015, 18:25

You may need XML and strict coding to render your web site. All we are doing with our single web page is redirecting people to this forum. It's important for everyone to be able to see the home page and read what we have there. Thus I listen when Google says they are not going to show it to everybody. While it's nice to be strict about coding rules, it makes no difference to the viewer of a web page. Good coding practices and experience precludes the need to follow strict rules anyway.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 18 Mar 2015, 12:01

My brother in law stopped by, and I viewed both of my websites on a TINY 1-3/8 x 1-3/4 cell phone last night.
Went through every single page on each, and I was most surprised to find it easier to read than on the frau's much larger Schmarz-Fone.

I don't know how they did it, but they render the long index box on the left like it is a different page, and the center text is shown large enough to read without difficulty, without having to scroll left or right.

When I got to the pages with PDF documents, it did the same thing as it did on the frau's phone, said it needs an App to view PDF files, which was not installed.
So I guess it did little good for me to provide the PDF reader as a part of the file displaying the PDF pages, although on a real computer it works just fine. The PDF pages appear OK on the Kindle Fire, but is using it's own PDF reader to do so.

I guess if I could read everything on my bro in laws tiny little cell phone, I'm good to go with no changes to anything.

I've never learned PHP, JavaScript, XML, or any other language, and I don't really know XHTML anymore. Only learned it long enough to rebuild my web pages, then forgot most of it almost instantly. Have to study up again each time I want to change something. The hard part is trying to remember why I did something the way I did it, so I'm glad I added several notes to myself as I went along.

Monday lands on a Wednesday this week, so enjoy your second Monday of the week.

TTUL
Gary