Ad Blocking Blocked in Chrome

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Ad Blocking Blocked in Chrome

Post by Kellemora »

Since I only know html5 now and nothing else, I keep my webpages simple.
I write them myself without helper programs, except for I now use bootstrapCSS, but could delete all the parts I don't use, which is like 99% of their CSS. I only used it because it made it easier to make my websites mobile friendly.

I do know there must be a lot of things my book promoter could do on the expensive NING websites that she doesn't seem to be able to do on WordPress. It could be she just never figured out how, or it could be they don't have the features she was using.
For Example: On Ning, she could go fetch the first book cover image and blurb from every members individual page, and show the book cover image in like a slide show in a box. If you hovered over the image displayed, it would show the blurb, and if you clicked on the image, it took you to that persons individual page.
It looks to me like she does not have interactive pages using WordPress, because she posts each book cover individually herself, and if you click on it, it will then take you to that authors individual page.

Probably like you, I only have to worry about one thing, uploading my main folders, like GFX, CSS, etc. to my website, then uploading the index.html page and I'm good to go. All the host does when someone enters my URL is run the index.html page. Simple!
yogi

Post by yogi »

The home page for Brainformation Forums is the only HTML i wrote for this site. The rest of it is all generated within phpBB automatically. It's kind of like a helper program, but a heck of a lot cleaner and compliant with accepted standards. I could get into the core and modify anything I want here. I don't do that because every update of the software just puts it back to the original form. So, I don't mess with the code for this site other than change the logo graphics. That's just a matter of storing a file in a directory and giving it the right name.

I think WordPress is based on the same idea as Windows, it just works. You're only asking for trouble if you try to figure out how it works. I guess there are a lot of bloggers out there to support the likes of WordPress. Maybe if I went the blogging route I'd use a template too. I've explored a few things in the past where modules can be added to a basic template to produce more functionality. The problem with those modules was that they were user contributions and not many of them worked as well as a professional version. Bootstrap has been around for a long time and is pretty well maintained. It's way more than the average HTML-writer could ever want, but it's a convenient framework if you have the server space to store the overhead. I recall stealing some code from it way back when, but it wasn't straight forward and had a lot of dependencies. I stopped stealing after I found that out. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The simpler you keep things, the better they seem to work.
My original website still worked for years after they depreciated some of the commands I used in html.
But it finally got to the point I had to start fixing things, and in the process I simply rewrote the website using XHTML.
Then I had to change the XHTML and use CSS with it. Which required a whole other rewrite, but I learned some more in the process. One thing was I could have a fully documented working copy of XHTML/CSS on my computer for making changes and the like, then make a second copy with no documentation for uploading. The second would run much faster. Then I learned to compact it even further, and compact all the images also.
After I had to change to HTML5 I don't remember if I went through all of that extra work, because basically I used everything I already had and just modified the codes a little, and this is when I went to Bootstrap CSS in order to make it mobile friendly. Been about 4 years since I've touched any of my websites, so will have to learn all over again.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The Bootstrap framework is slowing down your website. It may not be perceptible but the CSS from that library is not as clean and straight forward as when it's manually written. This works for a lot of people who don't have the time or the knowledge to do things the long way. Actually it would run quickest if you did not have CSS at all and embedded the styling into the content. Doing that,, of course, would be a humongus nightmare if you needed to make any updates, but it would run quick.

Deprecated HTML tags don't necessarily stop working just because the W3C took them out of the playbook. A lot of browsers recognize those old tags regardless of the standards. I have a website with content that was written in Microsoft Word (by somebody else) for a newsletter. Last time I checked, about a year ago, it was rendering as intended. So much for deprecated HTML tags.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had planned to take out of the the Bootstrap CSS only those parts I used for my CSS file.
But what I've learned is that so many people use Bootstrap, that once it is loaded on their computer, all other websites using it will load faster.
So I never took the time to pick out the parts of it I as using.
I don't get all that many visitors to my websites anymore, since I no longer have a lot of usable stuff folks want.
I have tons of stuff I would like to put on the writing website but have never had the time to mess with it.